rocket

Hotfix Build 1.7.2.5 Rolling Update

Still a lot of graphical glitches after installing 1.7.2.5 (and 95883 beta patch)....

I'd be less inclined to claim it's not an alpha, and more inclined to say that "because" its an alpha it deserves the criticism.

Alpha stages are where the game needs to be picked appart, Rocket needs to know what problems there are, otherwise how the devil will he be able to fix them? Even if people start calling the game unplayable (arguably over reacting, but honestly - some of these graphical glitches can certainly make most military loot spawns off limit), well - that's an indicator of how big the problem is, I don't see how that's unhelpful.

If people start being uncivil pains in the arse over it, then yeah - they should pipe down and stop getting so frustrated by an alpha stage game mod, but I'd argue the people white knighting the forums as if being in alpha means it shouldn't be criticized are far more of a problem.

Edited by Nag
  • Like 4

You haven't yet understood what is going on, it is obvious that they are focusing all resources on building the new game and leaving this one behind, cashing a few million dollars in an early dayz game alpha from eager dayz players would help hire more developers for the game, speed the process and secure them as the first official game in the genre before copy cats release their own.

I don't have a problem with that, I just wish that they would be honest and inform people rather then being silent, promising updates and fixes because they are too afraid people would not wait and deliver cr#p.

Well people are getting frustrated and have already stopped playing like myself and a few other friends, this will in turn reverse the counter that you have so proudly put on the top of the main website.

If you cannot fix problems revert to stable versions, simple.

i simply do not understand why rocket isnt removing the dead soldier models which are certainly the reason for the artifacts. so anyone can play without any troubles and he can check the problem offline without being harrased by players

from my experience in testing software, it's always shit at this stage and "somehow" it always works when it's released as a retail version

they did not ask for a million players, it just got out of control and now here we are.. and they have to deal with all of those smart ass players who think they know better how it should be done

you can't claim that it's no longer an alpha just because you are one million players

if you can't deal with the bugs at this stage just do what you did with all the other games - wait for it to be released as a retail version and enjoy

if you want to take this unique opportunity of being involved in the creation of this game then accept the fact that it is a hard journey and you have to be patient

most of the issues you bitch about are known issues, some of them will not be fixed now because of reasons I won't list here (you can read and watch interviews to find out why some things will not be fixed now), flooding the forum with frustration won't solve anything

the fact that you have the same expectations from DayZ now as from games which have been already released won't change the development process, deal with it.

regarding criticism - yes we need critique

but you should critique mechanics, ideas.. not bitch about bugs

• Like 7

The graphical glitches are still present post 1.7.2.5 and arma2 beta patch 95913. But all in all, my game has never ran better, and left shift+minus(num pad) is working perfectly; if I come across any glitches, I flush once, and they're gone, for me at least. The infinite ammo glitch can still be done by putting depleted clips into the backpack and logging in and out, thus having full clips again. Turning some magazines into others(m1911+.45, etc) are also still giving infinite ammo. I am loving the new zombie run speed; also digging their slower animations, but I think I have BIS to thank for that. I've gotten used to the dead soldier and barbed wire(game made) artifacts, but some new artifacting(which also goes away with a flush) seems to be derived from the in game crosshairs, for me at least.

Edited by muttondagger

What really gets under my skin is the constant references being made to this game being in "alpha". You can call this whatever you like, you can change the terminology to "bean-baked balloon festival version" for all anyone cares, the fact of the matter is your mod is being played by OVER 1 MILLION PEOPLE. It isn't an alpha anymore, no matter how you try and say it.

This may very well be the "alpha" stage of your testing, but by having 1,000,000+ people doing it, you've effectively changed the industries outlook on large-scale testing, and that comes with a change in audience, and preparations to deployments of patches, be they hotfixes or major.

Stop copping out on yourselves dev team. You've put forth a great mod, you've done great work, so stop trying to justify things being made worse with "it's an alpha!", because by all historical references of games going through alpha testing, this is entirely in it's own league.

/bite (possible double post too...)

youre totally correct, this IS in its own league - i cant think of a single instance where one million people have participated in an alpha testing, usually the alpha testing teams consist of a handful of people (and in the beginning it was exactly that) that provide feedback and actually WRITE BUG REPORTS. however to say that its no longer an alpha because so many people are testing is fucking nonsense. Alpha testing will cease and beta testing will begin once all the key elements of the game are coded and IN, not when your fairytale imagination says so.

• Like 2

The whole point of the mod is testing. Everyone freaks out when patches come out, then they get hot fixed.

I can hardly see doing some kind of additional testing when this is already billed as alpha.

This hot fix fixed the graphical glitches for a percentage of the people out there. That's better than 0%.

I understand that people want to play, but waiting a little longer isn't really that big of a deal, in my estimation.

A certain segment of the population forgets that this is an alpha mod and as such is subject to exactly these sorts of things. It's not "other games".

The hotfix did nothing for most people regarding the graphical glitches, and as a bonus has caused me to have to run up north from the coast a couple times daily since it hit.

Why do people keep saying that a million people are playing this mod. That is complete horseshit. Allegedly a million people have installed the mod at some point since the mod was released to the public, but less than 150k play the mod each day.That means that 850k people played the mod, realized it runs and plays like shit, and stopped playing it.

• Like 1

Why do people keep saying that a million people are playing this mod. That is complete horseshit. Allegedly a million people have installed the mod at some point since the mod was released to the public, but less than 150k play the mod each day.That means that 850k people played the mod, realized it runs and plays like shit, and stopped playing it.

Your math is bullshit. "Less than 150k" is 10% of the playerbase, and having 10% of your playerbase online at any given time is an astounding feat. Let me reiterate; those numbers are incredible. I guess you don't really know much about this stuff though.

Your math is bullshit. "Less than 150k" is 10% of the playerbase, and having 10% of your playerbase online at any given time is an astounding feat. Let me reiterate; those numbers are incredible. I guess you don't really know much about this stuff though.

entirely right....

steam has over 30 million members, and the average playercount is about 3 to 4 million players.

that is 10 to 15% of all players (don't forget, many people have steam in autostart and idle online without playing, but count into that value)

Edited by DannyG

Installed PMC+BAF then 1.62 patch and the latest beta. And my artifacts are gone. Yippee!!

Can someone do this too? Install Private Military Company+British Armed Forces. I think that the better textures resolves artifact issue

Edited by cynic.pro

No artifacts for me around dead soldiers after 3 days of play with hotfix 1.7.2.5 and Arma build 95883. Arma 2 full (steam) version.

GTX680 2GB running Nvidia beta 304.79 drivers

FXAA enabled in nvidia control panel + Vsync forced off

Visibility : default

Interface + 3D resolution both set to 1080p

Video memory : default

Antialiasing : disabled

Interface size : normal

All other setting at very high

Kodabar Dayz blog is very useful!

http://kodabar.blogs...rma-2-free.html

Edited by vandal GAB

Can someone do this too? Install Private Military Company+British Armed Forces. I think that the better textures resolves artifact issue

I have PMC+BAF and still suffer from heavy artifacts. VRAM set to default. Yeah, you can flush the vram, but artifacts re-appear. maybe it also depends on vram size, 1.2GB here. (gtx570)

Alpha is generally internal in the first place. The fact that we even have our hands on an Alpha build is frankly, kinda insane... though given the scope and idea of this mod, it makes sense as to why it's being done the way it is.

For those of you unused to alpha/beta testing, all I can say is Yes letting the devs know there's an issue is GOOD, however BITCHING CONSTANTLY AND CRYING THAT THE PATCH BROKE EVERYTHING EVER QQ I JUST WANT TO PLAY QQ. and crying all the time does nothing but wear on the devlopers nervs, then the project get's abandonded... are there issues, yes there are issues, but you're testing a game that's BARELY A GAME. In alpha, the core gameplay isn't even down yet! By the time this reaches beta [i'd give it 6 months, if Rocket get's a dedicated team behind him in that time] we'll have the core gameplay and it'll just be tweaking.

Hell Mechwarrior Online's having similar issues, so has any betatest I've been a part of... "Any beta ever"

So considering this is an Alpha... it's to be expected even more often than what you'd expect in a beta.

Fuck I'm getting tired of seeing all the self entitled qqers out there when we're testing a damn game.

• Like 7

Can someone do this too? Install Private Military Company+British Air Forces. I think that the better textures resolves artifact issue

It doesn't. I have one of those DLCs installed and configured and I still get glitches.

From what I understand (but I may be wrong) the problem is that the textures have several degrees of quality, basically the texture is like 5-6 jpg pictures saved at different quality settings. One or two of these saved presets are corrupted, and these corrupted presets are somewhere in between the worst quality and the best.

The game will automatically load only one or a couple of those presets for the texture drawn on the object, when player meets the object for the first time in the game. Also, it chooses one of those presets depending on the object detail and terrain detail setting in the video options, coupled with how far away the player is from that object - after all it doesn't make sense to load the highest quality texture if you're 400 meters away and the object takes 5-6 pixels on screen.

For example, if you go around a corner and 10 meters away from you is a dead soldier and the code drawing stuff on screen determines it has to draw the soldier for the first time since game started, the the game code will choose to load best quality preset for that texture... if it's 200 meters away from you in a field it will choose to load one of the less quality presets and queue a higher quality texture for later when your player may get closer.

If you happen to use binoculars or be close yet far enough to an object that the game determines it should load the exact quality preset that's corrupted for that texture, the game will have from now on in memory the corrupted texture.

Players with video cards with lots of memory (1 GB or more) will most often load the highest quality preset straight away, so they don't get to load those corrupted textures often. Players with cards that have less memory, will more often load those lower quality textures which are corrupted.

The corrupted textures sometimes makes the game think that one corner of the texture goes all the way in the sky or somewhere far to the sides of the object. So even if there's a building between you and the object in some cases the game will have to draw the object all the way to the sky and you see the glitches when you look in the direction of the object.

The only solution so far is changing the video card memory from Default to another preset, or from another preset to Default... or simpler shift + [num] - , then type "flush" without the " signs

I believe this makes the game empty the textures it loaded from memory so now when it has to redraw the screen, it correctly determines the object is behind a building or otherwise not really visible to the player, and either doesn't load the texture at all, or loads the lowest quality one which just happens to not corrupted. So glitches are gone.

When player actually gets close enough to see the object that was corrupted before, the game may simply load the higher quality texture so it will skip the one that's corrupted. So again, no glitches.

Again, players with video cards that have lots of memory are probably not seeing the glitches because the game loads the highest quality preset more often, and that one isn't corrupted.

(this may very well be bullshit, but it sounds reasonable to me the way I explained it and it's what I believe it happens, put in a very simplified way .. I am just a modest programmer in real life)

Edited by mariush
  • Like 3

Regarding the artifacts - do we even know what happened a patch or two back that caused these problems? Was it Day Z or an Arma 2 patch?

Please can you look at everything not saving... there is no point in having anything that saves gear/food/tools/parts if it wont save..

thanks

before patch I couldn't go to airfields without artifacting, since the patch those are now fixed for me but now I get the effect when approaching hospitals instead (and green mountain) but at least I can go to Stary now...

Development: Get idea, try and build it. <-- YOU MISS OUT, BECAUSE THIS IS INTERNAL STUFF

Alpha: Early testing stage of a software or hardware product. Improve the idea and build the content (feature add). <-- YOU ARE HERE!

Beta: Preliminary or testing stage of a software or hardware product. Iron out most bugs (preferrably all). Get ready for content/feature-complete release. <-- YOU ARE NOT HERE

Release Candidate: The full game, with all content, ready for mass consumption. No major gameplay bugs. <-- YOU ARE NOWHERE NEAR HERE

This game is in public alpha stage. Not Beta. Not Release Candidate. Alpha. That means, it's not ready, but it's available publically for testing and feedback (see the preliminary testing next to Alpha above? Getting the picture?).

This thread and all it's comments are a side effect of people having no idea what Alpha means. I truly hope the devs DON'T read the forums and instead focus on people providing helpful, insightful feedback instead of RARGH MY FREE ALPHA MOD TO A GAME ISN'T WORKING 100% PERFECTLY I HATE YOU ROCKET.

Side note; I personally love rocket and all the devs for making a great free mod. Can't wait to see what the full release is like.

Edited by ClontarfX
  • Like 8

Anyone else having problems findinig servers since last update? I have to restart the game 2-3 times before all servers show otherwise there's only russian servers.

Thx for this hotfix really appreciate your work. Those artifacts are now seen from much closer distance sth. about 100m witch is much better than half a click like with 1.7.2.4 but when I get really close like runing on Balota airfield it gets two times worse than it was before. But sometimes it could be fixed by rejoining to the server.

Edited by Raxlly_CZ