rocket

Disconnecting to avoid death

Could we get some clarification on whether this IS bannable or not?

It is, but it requires the admin to catch you red handed, whihc is very rare.

He mentioned it could easily be implemented... but if you bothered to read page 3 he also points out that it hasnt bee implemented due to the fact that it will hinder legit players just as much.

My idea would be simple' date=' although im not sure if itll truly be effective:

If you log on a specific server you are BARRED from set server/host/group for 1 hour. Meaning you cant go back into the same server after logging out.

For the people that are just looting they will spawn in on a different server, and just start looting till the timer is up.

For the people that were in the middle of pvp... they are now removed from the pvp for an hour and cant return to take advantage of the situation and basically forfeit any loot at the location to their opponent.

[/quote']

What? Do you think they give a shit if they can't participate in the PVP situation? I even think they're glad they can't. These carebears just want to hit ALT F4 and avoid loosing all their precious gear. If this means they're barred from ONE server for an hour, so be it. We need a timer, a timer is the only thing that will work.

Most of the proposed solution wouldn't address (at least not completely) all the problems.

- Timer on disconnect: if implemented it must have an abort function (you must have the control of your character during the countdown' date=' eventually aborting it if you feel in danger, by simply moving), but whenever it will be correctly implemented it will only solve the problem partially. A firefight can least longer than this supposed timeout, so in example hiding behind an obstacle would give you enough time to quit, forcing the other person to rush into killing you for the fear that you're going to disconnect. It also doesn't solve the server hoppers for looting: the timeout is ininfluent because you hide in the forest while server hopping for deer stands or other military locations. And you can also still disconnect to reposition on the same server if the enemy didn't see you yet.

- Spawn delay: you character won't move for X seconds during the respawn. This is the worst idea ever, exposing anyone to being spawnkilled, and anyway leaving your character without the user control. There's no need to comment here... it would be bad on many levels.

What's the worst problem atm? It's not the missed kill, but the ppl killing you AFTER they have repositioned. The most logic solution is the one proposed already: blocking the relogin on the same server for 1 hour. It won't solve the "avoiding death" situations, but at least you won't be "punished" (being killed) by exploiting it!

[/quote']

The missed kill is annoying too. It can also make the loot despawn on a fresh kill.

The disconnect timer is a must. It will go a long way towards preventing people server hopping to flank you, but it doesn't fix everything. The most annoying thing is a player leaving the server after you shoot them to heal up elsewhere then moving and reconnecting to shoot you in the ass.

However, I think there should also be a 5 second timer when you connect to the server after loading where your character makes wake up noises. IE snoring or something that is only audible to players within some distance.

I could also see a much shorter lock out time on reconnect. I could see 5 minutes or so where you can't spawn in if you had left the server within those 5 minutes. This doesn't include if you just drop to lobby because that I think is fair. If I have to go to the bathroom, for instance, I go back to the server lobby so I don't get shot while afk. And the 30 second timer solves the exploits revolving around people going to lobby and reconnecting on the same server.

These don't solve every issue, but they are a step forward. Unless the DayZ team is able to make this a centralized server set up there is almost no way to completely eradicate server hopping without seriously penalizing honest players. And they don't want to do that.

Most of the proposed solution wouldn't address (at least not completely) all the problems.

- Timer on disconnect: A firefight can least longer than this supposed timeout' date=' so in example hiding behind an obstacle would give you enough time to quit, forcing the other person to rush into killing you for the fear that you're going to disconnect. [/i']

Timer on disconnect won't be the cure for all battle scenarios, but its certainly helps the most irratating ones we know. Of course timer can be set to 60 seconds or even to 90 seconds if hardcore solution is wanted (instead of suggested 30 seconds or 45 seconds).

What's the worst problem atm? It's not the missed kill' date=' but the ppl killing you AFTER they have repositioned. The most logic solution is the one proposed already: blocking the relogin on the same server for 1 hour. It won't solve the "avoiding death" situations, but at least you won't be "punished" (being killed) by exploiting it!

[/i']

How does this solution work for players who are having issue with their connection? Aka when dropped player tries to reconnect to the server he has been dropped out, he has to wait 1h?

User Looter below gives more dynamic solution to the issue, wich i would recommend:

Server- hopping should be addressed server-sided I think. If a player logs off from a server and logs on again somewhere else' date=' thats ok. But if he does this several times (successful!! -> if player is in game and did already move), simply lock the loggon for 5 Minutes (first repeated hopping), 10Minutes (second repeated hopping), 20Minutes (third repeated hopping)... ... ... .[/i']

3 minutes is a long time. you can easily be discovered in that time. I was parked up in bushes in the middle of nowhere last week waiting for someone and got spotted.

30 seconds is fine IME. If you've not killed the guy by then you probably weren't going to.

It is meant to be a bit long. If you dont kill your target on sight, then the firefight will last really long. You know, Flank maneuver etc..

30 sec doesnt allow this. I would just jump behind a wall, begin to deco and pray for the guy to hesitate just 10 sec.

Plus if this guy is at 150 meters from me, he would have to approach me carefully wouldn't he?

30 sec timer isnt enough time and then allow too much exploit. It doesnt stop Firefight DC nor Server Hopping for loot.

3 MIN HOURGLASS EACH TIME YOU DECO. Please. For the sake of this brilliant game i can wait 3 minutes.

AND A 7 MIN TIMER EACH TIME YOU CHANGE SERVER. This would fix the "deco and repositionning" issue.

Bere ninja'd me a bit...

3 minutes is a long time. you can easily be discovered in that time. I was parked up in bushes in the middle of nowhere last week waiting for someone and got spotted.

30 seconds is fine IME. If you've not killed the guy by then you probably weren't going to.

It is meant to be a bit long. If you dont kill your target on sight' date=' then the firefight will last really long. You know, Flank maneuver etc..

30 sec doesnt allow this. I would just jump behind a wall, begin to deco and pray for the guy to hesitate just 10 sec.

Plus if this guy is at 150 meters from me, he would have to approach me carefully wouldn't he?

30 sec timer isnt enough time and then allow too much exploit. It doesnt stop Firefight DC nor Server Hopping for loot.

3 MIN HOURGLASS EACH TIME YOU DECO. Please. For the sake of this brilliant game i can wait 3 minutes.

AND A 7 MIN TIMER EACH TIME YOU CHANGE SERVER. This would fix the "deco and repositionning" issue.

Bere ninja'd me a bit...

[/quote']

Your right that a 20 second timer doesn't address the problem of people DC'ing during a more drawn out firefight but I also feel that a 3 min timer is too long and would start to become an issue for legit players. I'm a legit player but I'm not sure if I wan't to wait a few mins every time I want to log out. It's not game breaking but would just become a pain in the ass.

Although I agree that a shorter timer doesn't address all of the issues it does seem to be the simplest and least invasive solution for the time being. The main problems I've had with people DC'ing is that they do it as soon as they realise they are in danger almost as a refex reaction. I was watching a guy from the distance crawling into a warehouse for some loot when he alerted all of the zombies. He grabbed the loot, DC'd and left some other poor guy to get killed buy them. It's also happened where I've shot at someone and they've DC'd before I can even get my second shot off. I know people will say I should be a better shot but if he wasn't cheating then I'd have probably finished him or at least had a decent gun fight.

In the short term, a 20 second timer would solve so many issues. Sever hopping is a separate debate. This thread is about DC'ing to avoid death.

Normal logout.

30 sec - 1 minute.

Just sit and log out.

Logout with aggro marker(being hit recently, shoot from weapon, zombie aggro).

3 - 5 minutes.

20 sec doesnt solve anything but "DC for zombie aggro".

I'm a sniper at electro. I shoot people for fun with my ultimate Thermal vision weapon. The moment i see some guyz a bit organized coming at me i just go back hide in the wood for 20 sec.

3 MIN would force some degree of elaborated thinking before ANY engagement, and that is of paramount importance in Dayz.

Firefight intensity.

=3 min timer

I dont think people deco more than twice an hour on any given normal situation. Thats ok.

And u dont have to wait if you know for sure you are well hidden in a bush.

However' date=' I think there should also be a 5 second timer when you connect to the server after loading where your character makes wake up noises. IE snoring or something that is only audible to players within some distance.

[/quote']

Thats going to go down great when you accidently spawn in a server nearby somebody.

Getting banned from the server for an hour is also pretty retarded. People leave servers for a multitude of reasons, toilet/food/drink/phone/game issue/hacker(s). You're saying we shouldnt be able to rejoin our 'home' servers because we had to quit for a moment?

It is meant to be a bit long. If you dont kill your target on sight' date=' then the firefight will last really long. You know, Flank maneuver etc..

[/quote']

If a battle ever becomes a drawn out firefight, its exactly because the person didn't disconnect. The few people who do disconnect after a long fight aren't going to compare to the number of people discovered while crouched in the bushes helpless for 3 minutes.

See how far you can run in 3 minutes, then see the distance you can see on a server with bad weather, or while you're in the woods. You can say 'move to a safer location, duh!' but a 3 minute logout timer will push more people to the North/East edge of the map for 'safety', making those places less safe.

Fuck it, make it 3 minutes. Then we can start a new thread to see how many of you people complain that you got killed while disconnecting. That'll be fun!

Dude, I'm all for 3 minutes. If you disconect in a reasonable location (some busches in a forest laying prone) the chance that anyone will find you are so slim that you are practically 100% safe.

This game is supposed to be hardcore. It says you need balls in the instalation thread as a requirement. People dcing in fights don't have it obviously and need to get removed from the game, they clearly don't belong here.

Reading all these posts takes me right back to the good old days of the Eve Online beta. :)

30 seconds would fix all this issue as someone mentioned, if you slightly move it cancels the disconnect, simple, easy and very effective.

I propose that in order to log out, you have to be seated in the relaxed position, with your weapon shouldered in order to do so.

If people force a log out, when they log back in, the game will see that they are not seated and unarmed and give them a warning.

If the game detects this 3 times (as an example) they should lose all of their gear automatically.

It takes about 5 seconds or more to get to the unarmed, seated position, then another few seconds to disconnect. The animation could even be prolonged to increase the time it takes, but not too long.

I understand that would still allow people in cover to log out, but 3 minutes to log out is way too long.

7 minutes to change servers is ridiculous. Half the time I have to try a few different servers because of server issues, or the time of day isn't correct, fps issues, frame hitching etc...

If this was implemented it might take me over 15 minutes to find and join a decent, working server. I would find that totally unacceptable and like I was being punished for other people abusing the disconnect.

I propose that in order to log out' date=' you have to be seated in the relaxed position, with your weapon shouldered in order to do so.

If people force a log out, when they log back in, the game will see that they are not seated and unarmed and give them a warning.

If the game detects this 3 times (as an example) they should lose all of their gear automatically.

It takes about 5 seconds or more to get to the unarmed, seated position, then another few seconds to disconnect. The animation could even be prolonged to increase the time it takes, but not too long.

I understand that would still allow people in cover to log out, but 3 minutes to log out is way too long.

7 minutes to change servers is ridiculous. Half the time I have to try a few different servers because of server issues, or the time of day isn't correct, fps issues, frame hitching etc...

If this was implemented it might take me over 15 minutes to find and join a decent, working server. I would find that totally unacceptable and like I was being punished for other people abusing the disconnect.

[/quote']

No. 30 second isn't enough. Make it 3 minute so that firefight finally get the intensity they deserve.

7 min to long? Just the time u spend walking from Cherno to Prigorovdki.

These SMALL amount of time are the very small price to pay for a DC free Dayz

No. 30 second isn't enough. Make it 3 minute so that firefight finally get the intensity they deserve.

The main issue is that people disconnect as soon as a shot is fired, or they are spotted.

If you want big PvP firefights, go and play Battlefield 3 or something. There are plenty of games that cater to that kind of mentality and game style. Sounds like you just need to let it go (the need to kill people).

My suggestion would most definitely prevent all instant disconnects, because the threat of losing all of their gear (the reason they disconnect in the first place) would be too great.

You could even have it so that repeat offenders get less chances. So if you lose all of your gear 3 times because of disconnecting, then after that, you lose it after 1 instant disconnect without sitting first.

A 3 minute, or 7 minute wait punishes everyone because of the actions of a few. That isn't cool, regardless of how annoying DCers are.

now I've just seen, that the suggestions I've been thinking of have been already made, so I'll just state the obvious: disconnect bitches ruin the game, at least the human vs human part of it. I've never disconnected and won't do it, death is part of life, uhm, the game I mean ;)

The main issue is that people disconnect as soon as a shot is fired' date=' or they are spotted.

If you want big PvP firefights, go and play Battlefield 3 or something. There are plenty of games that cater to that kind of mentality and game style. Sounds like you just need to let it go (the need to kill people).

My suggestion would most definitely prevent all instant disconnects, because the threat of losing all of their gear (the reason they disconnect in the first place) would be too great.

You could even have it so that repeat offenders get less chances. So if you lose all of your gear 3 times because of disconnecting, then after that, you lose it after 1 instant disconnect without sitting first.

A 3 minute, or 7 minute wait punishes everyone because of the actions of a few. That isn't cool, regardless of how annoying DCers are.

[/quote']

PLease o please be smart enought not to ask me to "go play BF3" or "COD" because i am trying to find some solutions to the DC issue.

That is just plain stupid.

Beyond that.

I play in a sruvivor group. We help whoever we can. FR35 is the server. We never deco to depop zombie nor reposition in firefight.

We have our asses otfen kicked because of that. Do you understand now?

Bandits NEEDS to think TWICE before engaging or not. And when they decide to engage, they should do it knowing that they won't escape easily if things turn bad.

Your 30 sec timer doesnt prevent from that so it is useless IMHO.

A 3 min timer DOES. Or 2 minutes if really your time is so precious when you play video games...

Dayz is a slow paced and Intense game. A long timer preventing DC is in its spirit.

The timer must be at least 2 minutes long. If I'm shooting someone from far away, and then he goes prone, hide and disconnect, I need to be able to walk to him and kill him, and that takes longer than a minute.

Disconnecting abuses are enraging when players use it against zombies. I'm trying to play with some friends, and they openly say that they disconnect every time they get chased, and then reconnect... and all the zombies are gone. That's basically cheating. If you need food, just rush to a supermarket followed by 100 zombies, disconnect and reconnect... you don't even need to try sneaking past Zs, you can run all the time. We shouldn't be able to do that.

Also, soapmak3r, you realize you're saying there shouldn't be PvP in DayZ, and that every player who wants PvP should just leave? ("If you want big PvP firefights, go and play Battlefield 3")

(sorry for broken engrish)

PLease o please be smart enought not to ask me to "go play BF3" or "COD" because i am trying to find some solutions to the DC issue.

That is just plain stupid.

Beyond that.

I play in a sruvivor group. We help whoever we can. FR35 is the server. We never deco to depop zombie nor reposition in firefight.

We have our asses otfen kicked because of that. Do you understand now?

Bandits NEEDS to think TWICE before engaging or not. And when they decide to engage' date=' they should do it knowing that they won't escape easily if things turn bad.

Your 30 sec timer doesnt prevent from that so it is useless IMHO.

A 3 min timer DOES. Or 2 minutes if really your time is so precious when you play video games...

Dayz is a slow paced and Intense game. A long timer preventing DC is in its spirit.

[/quote']

Yes. I understand your point of view, but punishing everyone for the actions of the few is not the way to go about it.

I didn't mean anything by the BF3 thing, just that if people are looking for large scale Pvp fire fights, that is probably gonna satisfy that urge more than DayZ will...

I've never disconnected to avoid a fight and I have had people disconnect during a fire fight and reposition themselves. I've also been killed by a player after engaging zombies that were attacking him. Shot in the back and killed for no real reason. Shot and killed while unarmed. Killed for sport.

Yes it sucks and is REALLY frustrating, but so it goes. Punishing everyone is NOT the answer, unless the plan is to discourage people from playing the game at all.

In fact, you'd probably just end up with people killing the game.exe with the task manager to get out of a game.

The mechanic that I am suggesting would curb almost all disconnecting, without punishing legit players at all.

Perhaps they could implement a timer for people who break the disconnection rule I am suggesting more than a couple of times. That, I would be fine with. Best of both worlds, and higher stakes and even greater punishment for the DCers.

If the gun fire suddenly falls silent, 30 seconds is enough time to rush whoever it is and annihilate them...Or throw in a frag grenade. If you know they are doing it, you know they are unarmed and unable to retaliate for the next 30 seconds.

If you aren't close enough, well...They probably deserved to escape anyway.

I agree on minute timer,

It won't solve the whole problem, but thats a good start.

I think that the only way players stop DCing to avoid zeds is when the zed's system get better.

At least for me they seem pretty hard to beat sometimes, when you run without ammo and they can hit you at about 6m far from you. This isn't good, right?

But about DCing to avoid PvP, I'am neutral on that point, just because as soon as a good part of the players will shoot you as soon as you get on their sight, you have nothing to do. Will you try to talk to them? Even if one try's this, most of the players won't listen and will keep shooting. Most of them give tons of shit to each other. So, a peaceful guy like me get's fucked when trying to "roleplay" the game and attempt contact.

This is most fucked up than the whole DC problem. Seriously, never got any problem with DC'ers because I never engage firefight unless I heard the first shot. And as soon as I see who did it, if he missed the first shot, usually they wont miss another with that char.

I don't see why people are suggesting a logout timer longer than 30 seconds. 20-30 seconds is fine. I'm sorry but a longer time.. like a 7 minute timer (whoever suggested that?!) is pointless. You tie up the server for 7 minutes. What a waste of resources. You think people want to sit around waiting for 7 minutes so they don't lose all their shit? 7 minutes?

30 seconds is fine. If you can't find and kill your target in 30 seconds after they seek cover you were either lucky you hit them in the first place or firing at them from the next town over, in which case you likely weren't going to loot them yourself anyway. And if you have a mate to pick up the scraps, surely he can clean up what you started in 30 seconds. This is all assuming they freak out and go to log out the second you hit them (which they won't, because they're still in your line of fire)

Firm grasp on the concept of time, please.

indeed the simple solution wold be to implement disconnection timing on certains situations:

#1 players aggroed by zeds

#2 players who have shot in the last minutes

#3 players who have taken a shot in the last minutes

#4 etc

this maybe dont solve the quiters on sight but will surely reduce disconnections drastically