rocket

Disconnecting to avoid death

2 cents from me:

I would love to see:

1. A 10sec logout timer.

2. Prevention of logout with any Z's within 100m or while inside designated "danger areas" such as towns or airfields.

3. Logging out at these points (e.g Alt F4) would cause you to lose all progress since the last login.

4. Trying to log out would give you a warning message about loss of progress, but still allow it if that's what you want.

5. Most important - you cannot log out if bleeding, doing so will kill the character outright (a warning message would tell you this).

Yes, there will be crashes during firefights that get you killed, or a net connection failure. But since I've never once had this happen while bleeding (neither have my mates) I assume its rare enough to be an accepted flaw.

Why dc anyway? Accept it like a man I say! Some of the best fun I've had in this mod involves being attacked and trying to SURVIVE... you know, the whole bloody point!

little example if you can be bothered to read it:

Just after my first ever trip to NWAF, I left the airfield alive, but with only an AKM to show for it (didn't know about the barracks at that point) and headed south. Ran across an open field to the west of a small town and stopped when I seen movement. The 2 guys had seen me as well and when I zoomed in I could see what looked like a slung rifle being taken off the first guys shoulder. Next 5 mins were me zig zagging my way across the field with sniper shots pinging and cracking past me, even taking out a poor innocent cow right in front of me with one miss! Once I made it over a rise I waited to see if they'd follow, looked over to see 1 running and the other aiming, ducked down and it sounded like he just missed again. I had to run all the way to another town to hide amongst the zeds! Waited for them, showed myself and waited for the sniper shot to draw a ton of aggro... then I got to lay in to them with the Ak as they fought off the infected.

Why miss out on that kind of fun!

Oh and if you're the guy that hit the cow, you may be glad to know I never got the chance to loot your gear, too much attention from other players!

1. A 10sec logout timer.

2. Prevention of logout with any Z's within 100m or while inside designated "danger areas" such as towns or airfields.

3. Logging out at these points (e.g Alt F4) would cause you to lose all progress since the last login.

4. Trying to log out would give you a warning message about loss of progress' date=' but still allow it if that's what you want.

5. Most important - you cannot log out if bleeding, doing so will kill the character outright (a warning message would tell you this).

[/quote']

1: Fine. Best solution so far is a 5-10 second timer on logout and nothing more.

2: No. What if i'm sitting in a house and need to go, or want to move to a server with a friend - or heaven help us all, need to AFK to do shit in the real world and don't feel like losing progress because a real world exists. Won't actually solve the problem since most of the time it is PLAYER v PLAYER where this issue exists.

3: Bad from both a technical standpoint and a persistent multiplayer standpoint, in that you'd increase server load both by having to store more data and people CONSTANTLY DISCONNECTING AND RECONNECTING. Also won't actually solve the problem.

4: See above

5: Too high of a penalty, has no fault tolerance at all, will fuck over people who aren't paying attention, won't actually solve any problem at all.

That's about it. I don't see why we need a complicated solution when a simple timer will do.

I disconnected in pvp yesterday because i panicked :D but then I realised its idiotic and immediadly go back in game and died bleeding...not gonna do disconnect again in pvp...and against me, there has been at least 10 pvp disconnects withing just a one week....i know how much it sucks if the player u are killing disconnects..

5. Most important - you cannot log out if bleeding' date=' doing so will kill the character outright (a warning message would tell you this).

[/quote']

2: No. What if i'm sitting in a house and need to go, or want to move to a server with a friend - or heaven help us all, need to AFK to do shit in the real world and don't feel like losing progress because a real world exists. Won't actually solve the problem since most of the time it is PLAYER v PLAYER where this issue exists. - This is a potential solution for people looting then switching server and looting again, rinse & repeat. 10secs extra wait wont stop that. No offence, but as a fulltime worker with a family I can still plan things enough to account for time to run back out of the town/airfield before saving. If the r/l situation taking you AFK is too important to warrant another 5mins or so then you probably shouldnt be caring about the game at all! How did folk cope in the days where you had to reach the end of a level to save a game... oh yeah, finish or accept the loss of progress!

3: Bad from both a technical standpoint and a persistent multiplayer standpoint, in that you'd increase server load both by having to store more data and people CONSTANTLY DISCONNECTING AND RECONNECTING. Also won't actually solve the problem. - I work as a software programmer and I fail to see why some extra data stored in the db about your most recent logon position/equipment would cause an increase to server load, unless you meant that players would keep disconnecting to "save" their position. If that is the issue, then instead of "last save", simply have the server stop relaying your position to the central DB server when you cross the "boundary" in to town and then start again when you leave. It would be no different to when the server dies and you log into a different server to find yourself in an earlier position. Additionally, if no. 2 was implemented there would be less server hopping for loot, reducing the number of disconnections/reconnections slightly. Of course I don't know what DB system they use, or how its updated. Could be held in a bloody excel spreadsheet and updated by the BIS receptionist for all I know! (sarcasm)

5: Too high of a penalty, has no fault tolerance at all, will fuck over people who aren't paying attention, won't actually solve any problem at all. - granted it would cause the occassional player a little heartache, and its far from perfect. However, would you log out after being hit when it means you die for certain? No, didn't think so. So it WOULD solve the problem.

If my reply seems mildly hostile, it's because yours seemed that way and I've adjusted my response accordingly.

[align=left]

Sure' date=' so if i'm in cherno and i urgently need to go out, i cannot quit the game or i'll loose any progress.

Why dc anyway? Accept it like a man I say!

Yes, then let's eliminate the disconnections totally (no game saved: you're forced to live in game h24), and make the death really permanent (1 life; no respawn). Let's see who least longer.. who's the "man" .... (or the idiot nerd).

[/align]

A timer would not solve the problem, you open the task manager and close the game. You could lose 5 minutes of your progress but it's better then getting a bullet in your head, isn't it?

I think i understand the "real" issue. 2/3rds of the folk posting are annoyed because they spent ages camping on a cherno rooftop to take out weaponless noobs and don't get the glory kills. They hate the idea of not being able to log out when in towns etc because they'd have to leave their precious sniper spots and risk danger themselves to get back out of town. All makes sense now.

Understood... I'll leave you all to discuss this then :-) I'll just poke my head in from time to time in case there are any reasoned arguments like the one Tigerhawk made, instead of the usual 2 line posts with no rebuttal or counter propositions.

I think the shock condition should last only 60 seconds but activate whenever a player shoots you or zombies bite you' date=' and if you log off to avoid zombies or players you go unconscious for 10 minutes instead. That's enough time to bleed out and die.

[/quote']

going unconscious upon relogging does not stop anyone from disconnecting from pvp. they can just tell a friend where they will be lying when they log in and have them bandage them. its not a solution AT ALL.

what is the latest official statement regarding disconnecting? if this stays the way it s it could really break the game.

I think i understand the "real" issue. 2/3rds of the folk posting are annoyed because they spent ages camping on a cherno rooftop to take out weaponless noobs and don't get the glory kills. They hate the idea of not being able to log out when in towns etc because they'd have to leave their precious sniper spots and risk danger themselves to get back out of town. All makes sense now.

Understood... I'll leave you all to discuss this then :-) I'll just poke my head in from time to time in case there are any reasoned arguments like the one Tigerhawk made' date=' instead of the usual 2 line posts with no rebuttal or counter propositions.

[/quote']

You made some good points and i agree , forums and games are full of people who just camp out towns and disconnect before death ,They have lost sight of what this mod is all about .Sooner they close this mod down and rocket makes a real game out of it the better.We must be like minded because my post was almost the same as yours ))

RE: Disconnecting to avoid death

I like this mod and loved the idea of it and the survival horror aspect of it all .

But the real horror is 80% of time your getting killed by people who disconnect before death , And hense you meet each other , he has a scope rifle etc and your standing with a rench and a tin of beans . I seen this fatal flaw straight away in the game

I check back on the forum from time to time to see if its been resolved , and i wont go near the game again until it has ,Sure its far more complicated than i understand .But once your bleeding out are within a 100 meters of zombies are people, disconnection should mean death plain and simple.

I would rather die a hundred times, because i had to disconnect when engaged are lost connection etc ,Then play a game full of cheaters who exploit this ))) Just surprises me people still play it while this is still not resolved . Its undermines the whole idea of the game .Its no more than a team deatch match with some zombies inbetween untill they fix it .But i wont lose any sleep because i had the game for arma not this mod ,

Hope they fix it, because its a great idea for a game)))

You know, I have a feeling we'll see some sort of fix tomorrow. Rocket is going to showcase DayZ at Rezzed, right? Would it not be incredibly embarrassing if he had to do it on a private closed server? And neither will he risk some asshat spawning an aircraft carrier and a million orthodox priests in front of the assembled gaming press.

It think it will happen soon. Please be good.

I just can't believe how long you have talked about this. All that needs to be in place is a logout timer. Just like a fucking mmo. 30 second logout timer to avoid this very problem. Now if they are ghosting just make it so you can't auth your CD key more than once in a 5 minute time frame. That is based off the hive not the game server so I am not sure why you are talking about server performance.

Really? you would want it to be no logging out in a town/city/airfield. that is retarded and ruins the free form of the game.

2 easy fixes

logout timer

Cant auth cd key more than once in a 5 minute time frame. Longer to find a server but I would deal with that to stop douche bags from spawning behind me and shooting me when they had no chance simple enough.

He always do public "shows" (interview' date=' etc.) on private/closed servers with a limited amount of trusted users, usually doing PvE.

[/quote']

My hopes were up but are now broken, you horrible hope-breaker, you.

EDIT: I really think he should showcase it connected to the hive. Anyone saw that thread after yogcast did that private server thing? People were furious, not so with ol' Rocky apparently.

EDIT 2: What the hell am I thinking? I seem to have responded to a hacking whine nobody made. Silly me, need a break. Ta'.

2 easy fixes

logout timer

Cant auth cd key more than once in a 5 minute time frame. Longer to find a server but I would deal with that to stop douche bags from spawning behind me and shooting me when they had no chance simple enough.

this. theres nothing more to add...

2 easy fixes

logout timer

Longer. 10-20 mins. If they want to go to another server' date=' fine. But 1 connection to the same server in a 10-20 min timeframe. Make sure there's enough time for their victims to get to safety and that the D/C'er knows they're going to be coming back to an unknown environment.

[hr']

2 easy fixes

logout timer

Longer. 10-20 mins. If they want to go to another server' date=' fine. But 1 connection to the same server in a 10-20 min timeframe. Make sure there's enough time for their victims to get to safety and that the D/C'er knows they're going to be coming back to an unknown environment.

[/quote']

Plus go back to leaving their body behind for a minute. They won't be able to dupe any more if they can't connect back in before their body is gone. Two problems solved.

He always do public "shows" (interview' date=' etc.) on private/closed servers with a limited amount of trusted users, usually doing PvE.

[/quote']

My hopes were up but are now broken, you horrible hope-breaker, you.

EDIT: I really think he should showcase it connected to the hive. Anyone saw that thread after yogcast did that private server thing? People were furious, not so with ol' Rocky apparently.

EDIT 2: What the hell am I thinking? I seem to have responded to a hacking whine nobody made. Silly me, need a break. Ta'.

He cant' really do anything than that when he's showing in "real time": the HIVE would be DDOS'ed in no time just to ruin the show. Not the best situation to promote your product...

Maybe this is redundant and not that rocket or anyone on the dayz staff will read it but please regarding any fix that you seriously consider it should not adversely affect those who have a tough time finding playable servers. Unfortunately it's impossible to tell what kind of state a server is in before actually joining it, 4/5 servers I enter are basically unplayable (I actually log them in a spreadsheet for fun!) and that is regardless of ping which is generally under 70. Therefore if it's not smooth enough for me I'll just immediately disconnect after simply moving my mouse around a bit to feel what fps I'm getting and sometimes open my invent to see what lag there may be.

Basically what I'm saying is if the proposed fix is some sort of delay to reconnect then it should only count for any server you joined recently (15-30mins or whatever), we all want this issue fixed but don't make it even harder to get into a game than it already is, thanks.

Its gotten to the point where every engagement my group gets into ends with the aggressors disconnecting....

Its gotten to the point where every engagement my group gets into ends with the aggressors disconnecting....

Yeah I almost hold back. Seems like a waste of ammo to pull the trigger more than twice.

Fought 20 people the other night. More than 50% of them disconnected while I was firing a shitty weapon at them.

Bitches are gonna be Bitches.

In the last two weeks every person i have shot at that hasn't been instantly killed has disconnected within seconds. I just watched a group of 4 all disconnect after being fired at. People who play this game get way to attached to their shit. I'm done playing until this issue is fixed. People disconnecting complete ruins the game for me.

It really sets me off when I'm trying to kill someone for their loot; but I think a 30 second timer is a little over the top. 10 seconds maybe, because the first idea probably wouldn't stop people from going away from a firefight... I think 10 seconds is perfect. :)

30 seconds isn't a big deal it works for many other games, why not for this one?

But for the timer to work it needs to work even if a person Alt F4's or Pulls out the power to their machine. 20 to 30 seconds then their character drops from the server.

I don't know why' date=' but people are assuming that I think this is part of the game.

It's not. I posted in a thread that was talking about that, that META-GAMING is explicitly allowed. I.e. infiltrating teamspeak servers and groups etc...

Disconnecting to avoid death IS an exploit.

It will be patched out, very easily, in a future update. The update is ready to go and will be released when the Beta patch for ArmA2 is out.

[/quote']

so do we know where we stand with the beta patch beening ready for rocket to add this in? whats the eta looking like, so see how dumb this has gotten all you have to do is watch a very good player called Sacriel42 and his very well put together vids but he spends around 45mins flanking a 4 group of bandits he only get 2 kills in whitch anit alt-f4. and at the end he ends up dieing as the sniper that alt-4 at the start comes back and gets him. but heres the vid for every 1 watch.

--->

<----

its getting realy old now cos not only is noobish to alt f4 but it make higher tir weps even more rare as the loot is not getting shared around from kills,

so yer whats teh ETA for this fix this is the ONLY fix i care about as the rest of the game works fine for me, yer you lose loot stored in cars/tents from time to time, o well thats not hard to get back. but the main thing is the alt-f4