rocket

Disconnecting to avoid death

On the flip-side' date=' how wise was the attacker to just sit there for 2 minutes, knowing that they disconnected, only to get killed by the same player. I am not on the D/C side, just that when I see a player vanish after engaging them, I high-tail it to another ambush point and wait to see if they come back or if a buddy of theirs decides to take a chance. This approach has kept me alive for quite some time now, but it has its limitations too.

[/quote']

You're assuming that the attacker saw the person disconnect. They could have been under cover reloading, or trying to reposition.

Something along the lines of the aggression -> log off mechanics from eve online would prevent this behavior. Simply put, being involved in any pvp activity creates an aggression flag on the character. When the player logs out this flag is checked, if it is not present the character disappears after say 30 seconds(prevent log off while under attack from zombies) and if the flag is present the character remains in-game and can not join a different server for something like five minutes. After five minutes, the aggression flag is removed from the character and they are free to log off.

We can faff about thinking of ways to stop it but tbh there's only really one true deterrent and that's to start banning the lame ass clownboots.

I think this is priority nr.1 at this point. The game is very playable, the bugs are not game-breaking. The vast majority DCing at the first sign of danger is for anyone who plays the game for PvP.

Agreed!!! But 20 seconds is a touch high. 10 seconds is ideal.

I watched a player disconnect under fire earlier then re-emerge 2 mins later behind his attacker and kill him. He obviously server hopped to adjust position then hopped back!!! Lame tadgers like that should be banned.

P.S....i now wear his ears on my chain as a trophy!!!

Good to hear, did you get him in the game as well?

The number of seconds is not really a cardinal point for me, it would have to be subject to rigorous testing to get it right I think.

I do think the login freeze is crucial though, as it would take care of the barracks server hopping, as well as preventing the teleport-behind-you 'sploit.

Yeah 20 sec timer when you logout, but you can interrupt it. A must have in any pvp game.

And in fact, u can despawn all zeds you pulled and loot in freedom, that sucks

We can faff about thinking of ways to stop it but tbh there's only really one true deterrent and that's to start banning the lame ass clownboots.

Personally, banning a player for anything other than hacking is not realistic in a game mod based on SURVIVAL. Since I began playing the game, I just came to understand that the whole purpose of the game was to survive, plain and simple. I really don't care if players server hop, loot farm, or disconnect during a fight (even if I am engaged with them), since ultimately they are only doing the same thing I am trying to do - survive. If you cannot take down your enemy in a couple of shots, they disconnect, come back, and then kill you; well IMO I do believe you deserved to be killed. Simply put, make a good headshot, and it doesn't matter what weapon you possess, it will take them down (that is if you are not "lagging" at the time).

Personally' date=' banning a player for anything other than hacking is not realistic in a game mod based on SURVIVAL. Since I began playing the game, I just came to understand that the whole purpose of the game was to survive, plain and simple. I really don't care if players server hop, loot farm, or disconnect during a fight (even if I am engaged with them), since ultimately they are only doing the same thing I am trying to do - survive. If you cannot take down your enemy in a couple of shots, they disconnect, come back, and then kill you; well IMO I do believe you deserved to be killed. Simply put, make a good headshot, and it doesn't matter what weapon you possess, it will take them down (that is if you are not "lagging" at the time).

[/quote']

But long hectic firefights are fun. Why would you defend a gamey exploit that reduces combat to headshots only?

For me the immersion is the best part of this mod, teleporting wizards and 'BOOMHEADSHOTLOLOL' combat ruins it.

Instead of 'dealing with' exploits, remove them.

EDIT: I'm not talking about banning people for DC'ing, but about preventing them from doing it by introducing login/out timers.

Personally' date=' banning a player for anything other than hacking is not realistic in a game mod based on SURVIVAL. Since I began playing the game, I just came to understand that the whole purpose of the game was to survive, plain and simple. I really don't care if players server hop, loot farm, or disconnect during a fight (even if I am engaged with them), since ultimately they are only doing the same thing I am trying to do - survive. If you cannot take down your enemy in a couple of shots, they disconnect, come back, and then kill you; well IMO I do believe you deserved to be killed. Simply put, make a good headshot, and it doesn't matter what weapon you possess, it will take them down (that is if you are not "lagging" at the time).

[/quote']

But long hectic firefights are fun. Why would you defend a gamey exploit that reduces combat to headshots only?

For me the immersion is the best part of this mod, teleporting wizards and 'BOOMHEADSHOTLOLOL' combat ruins it.

Instead of 'dealing with' exploits, remove them.

EDIT: I'm not talking about banning people for DC'ing, but about preventing them from doing it by introducing login/out timers.

Exactly.

Have there been any updates from Rocket on this being fixed? The loot hopping is just as frustrating and I'm worried the fixes for these won't be combined.

Can't wait' date=' the pace of the bug fixes and updates is real nice. Just as I'm getting burnt out on dayz you pull me back in...Downloading 1.6.0 now seeing as you stole my hatchet and heat packs idea directly from my mind.

In case you can't read my mind I'll share some more of my ideas, listed from bad to worse, as my patch files slowly download from this German mirror...

* Sparse Bears and Wolves in the woods that attack and can be killed for special meat that restores more then 800 blood would be swell.

* Add some sort of ghillie tarp to throw over and better hide parked vehicles.

* Some kind of quick wave emote or gun lowering mechanic to show (or trick) fellow survivors that you are friendly.

* C4 Make it rare enough and being killed by it will be an honor.

* Parachutes, Reusable and slightly less rare then night vision goggles.

* Bicycles with space bar bunny hop functionality.

* Landmines make them as common as tin cans. No one will complain.

[/quote']

what u say as common as tin cans then all the big citys will be FULL OF THEM i mean i could not enter a house or leave one without getting blowed sky high

ALPHA OR NO ALPHA THIS SHOULD BE FIXED ALREADY!

- Makes fortifications useless.

- Allows skilful tactics pointless. I got server hopped and lost 4 days of character play because a guy I was shooting at, who shot at me first mind you, "jumped behind me" magically by server hopping.

- THIS IS THE WORST EXPLOIT AND LIKE YOU SAID CAN BE EASILY FIXED.

THIS BREAKS THE GAME PLEASE FIX!

Suggestions ----- 1 server PER character. PERIOD! Stop worrying so much about the casuals so much. This is an anti game? Lets put that to action.

At the very least have a 30 minute limit to switching servers.

Agree 1 char per server is taking it way to far....though it would be nice to be able to have more than 1 character (but that's on a different thread).

The 30 min timer is also a bad idea, why lock someone into a server that sucks or isn't fun or didn't allow them to load properly.

The 30 min timer would work if you made it so you could not rejoin a server you had left within the last 30 min but still allowed people to join new servers

***edited look to lock typo

What about 30-60 second logout time. If you move your character you'll have to start over. If you're bleeding you cant't logout untill the bleeding has stopped. You may force a logout but your character will stay ingame untill he has bleeded out or the bleeding has stopped on it self.

It works in all MMORPG's. It will work for Day Z also.

What about 30-60 second logout time. If you move your character you'll have to start over. If you're bleeding you cant't logout untill the bleeding has stopped. You may force a logout but your character will stay ingame untill he has bleeded out or the bleeding has stopped on it self.

It works in all MMORPG's. It will work for Day Z also.

I like this idea.

Also: At this moment zombies will be gone once you spawn in some sort of place. People use the disconnect feature to get red of alerted zombies.

Why don't we just get rid of the fact that zombies are gone in your area where you spawn (only make this feature availible for people that start from scratch). If you want to disconnect: go into some kind of forest where zombies don't spawn at all. That will give you the next time you connect a safe environment.

So I know Rocket has talked about how he thinks DCing out of zed aggro is an exploit but more frustrating than that is when you get the jump on somebody only to have them Alt+F4 the second they start taking fire. Just today, I tracked down somebody in a Ghillie suit with an enormous sniper rifle without them knowing I was on their tail. When I opened fire with my AK he hit the deck, DCs and then switches servers to avoid death.

The fix is really simple, just add a 20 second timer to disconnects where the character remains in game and able to die, much like WoW which has this exact feature to presumably prevent the same problem. Obviously you can't implement WoW's no DCs while "in combat" rule because combat is much different in DayZ but the basic idea of having your character persist in the game world for an extra 15-20 seconds would cut out a lot of this DCing to avoid death. If players chose to DC to avoid death they'd only come back to a body ravaged by zed and bleeding out or a corpse filled with lead and being looted.

In the end, players would start thinking more about where they log in and out. Most would find some safe shrubbery just off the path from their loot spots to wait out the log out.

As a side note, I personally believe if this were to be implemented the zed need to be nerfed/fixed a bit. They either need to be easier to lose, less glitchy or they need to stop breaking our legs and causing us to bleed out on every other hit. I get that they should be hard to deal with and I respect that because it makes the game more interesting. But people are DCing to avoid zed for a reason. If you're out of bandages just one hit can end up in death, plus they're difficult to shoot due to glitchy and unpredictable run animations.

TL DR - DCs to save from impending doom can easily be fixed by adding in a 15-20s timer were your character still persists in game after a DC. Before implementing this, fix the zeds glitchy/unpredictable run animations, ridiculous bone breaking and/or frequency of causing bleed outs. Everyone is aborting to avoid zed for a reason.

Hi

IF its a easy fix as stated, why dont they patch this already? A 30s delay on the quitter would surely fix this problem and increase game quality instantly. Only people that do not agree with this are the ones that abuse the system.

Another issue is, scum farmers hoppers etc.

This seems as a much bigger case to solve, maybe by restricting spawning near a military area would suppress them hoppers/farmers.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. At least that's what I'm going to start doing until this is fixed. I'm done playing legit when all it rewards me with is death. I'm going to exploit the fuck out of this tactic until it's hopefully removed. I'm sick of building up, only to be torn down time after time because of this glitch.

Best way to solve this problem - servers with their own base of characters.

I mean that place of disconnecting, items and so on saving on local server side for each player, but do not transfer by any means to global save at master-server. So its like

Or saves for each unique character for each unique server. You connect second server - you start from scratch at beach, return to first - appear at place where you have disconnected.

I understand that this way will multiply save data to server's number, but i kinda dont see any other universal solution.

But there also several ideas about tweaks against hopping in battle:

- When player shoot it switch flag "shooter" on him and starts timer for like 10 minutes, after 10 minutes flag drops.

- When player shoot another player it switch flag "attacker" on him and starts timer for like 10 minutes, after 10 minutes flag drops.

- When player get shot from another player it switch flag "victim" on him and starts timer for like 10 minutes, after 10 minutes flag drops.

- If player exit/disconnect with "attacker" or "victim" his/her weapon drop to ground.

- When player login to server near another player closer then:

a) 30m to

b) 100m if that player was "shooter"

c) 200m if that player was "attacker"

Logined player drop uncontentious for 2-5 minutes and start moaning.

Another players can awake him, like with adrenaline, but without actual use of adrenaline.

So it would prevent hoping behind characters in battle, unexpected hoping inside building/fort while there are someone inside.

[/quote']

The problem is you're not surviving, you're abusing an exploit / cheating.

You should fix the game then, not ban ppl. It's like the gamma/light option, everyone with no NVG is using it (and it works pretty good with the latest patch), isn't this exploiting? So we're going to ban every ppl with no NVG that is playing on a night server because he tweaked the game option to a level of exploiting the game? Naaaa....

/signed

10 seconds is good, 20 seconds or more might be too much. I want timer!!