rocket

Disconnecting to avoid death

umm...just to try and be the voice of reason here, in the REAL world, outside of the the hardcore arma 2 bunker basement, sometimes when we have to log off, we don't have time to run into the middle of a forest to do it. that's just stupid. the uber hardcore arma commando's are going to ruin this game with their crying. "it's just not hardcore enough!" whatever.

umm...just to try and be the voice of reason here' date=' in the REAL world, outside of the the hardcore arma 2 bunker basement, sometimes when we have to log off, we don't have time to run into the middle of a forest to do it. that's just stupid. the uber hardcore arma commando's are going to ruin this game with their crying. "it's just not hardcore enough!" whatever.

[/quote']

It's not about being hardcore. It's about not having people disappear, then pop up behind you. It's about fair play. It's about fixing exploits.

To be fair there is no need to run off into the forest to be safe, there is plenty of places in cherno where you could logout

umm...just to try and be the voice of reason here' date=' in the REAL world, outside of the the hardcore arma 2 bunker basement, sometimes when we have to log off, we don't have time to run into the middle of a forest to do it. that's just stupid. the uber hardcore arma commando's are going to ruin this game with their crying. "it's just not hardcore enough!" whatever.

[/quote']

Literally every MMO since UO has a feature to prevent people from just logging out when they are in trouble. If you think games like World of Warcraft and Lord of the Rings Online are too hardcore for your liking, you should probably stick to minesweeper and solitaire.

Put a mini (1 slot) tent in everyone's backpack. Right click tent' date=' 5 sec logout, gear is stored. Any disconnect other than using the tent, and you end up on the beach with a flashlight.

It will solve the DC issue, and people will avoid buggy servers. :)

[/quote']

Smart idea.. so if you just lose your connection, you going to lose your whole gear as well.

Yes. Don't get so married to your gear.

Disconnecting for any reason in a game where you should be shitting yourself around every turn is BS. Any excuse (crashed to desktop, and/or have to leave ASAP) is BS. Take it back old school rocket and make people pay. If you follow the EA/Blizzard carebear path, you'll lose all respect from some hardcore gamers that have been around for a long time, myself included. I know this because I've seen devs and gaming community's crumble over the past 20 years. Everyone thinks they know whats best, but the reality of it all is people are demanding change. DayZ is a good change. Keep it up, or lose it all. You'll always have your fanbase and you're always going to make money from here on out. But you should never divert from what makes DayZ good. That is indeed its unforgiving nature, that should continue to go in that direction. IF you derp, you lose.

Are you kidding me? Most of the servers i join are laggy as hell, incorrect time, bugged in some way or just plain useless.

If you do something that punishes people logging in and out a lot, thats just dumb, you know why? because this is an online game. People log in and out of online games rapidly. You think im gonna stay on a server that has 800 ping just because you said so?

Hrm...egogravity, whats the chances of me posting just after you did.

Are you kidding me? Most of the servers i join are laggy as hell' date=' incorrect time, bugged in some way or just plain useless.

If you do something that punishes people logging in and out a lot, thats just dumb, you know why? because this is an online game. People log in and out of online games rapidly. You think im gonna stay on a server that has 800 ping just because you said so?

[hr']

Hrm...egogravity, whats the chances of me posting just after you did.

In Eve Online you can't just log out whenever you please. Well you can, but you will most likely lose your stuff. That game is doing pretty well regardless. So can DayZ.

5-10 sec log in + log out timer, that'll solve the problems.

Yes i wouldnt mind a log off timer. Most other online games i have ever played have a log off time in pvp zones, dayz being 1 massive pvp zone.

What i dont wanna see is people getting banned or their chars killed simply for trying to find a decent server, which takes a while (been playing for a long time now and still havnt found a decent stable server).

10 second log out timer will fix all.

Yes i wouldnt mind a log off timer. Most other online games i have ever played have a log off time in pvp zones' date=' dayz being 1 massive pvp zone.

What i dont wanna see is people getting banned or their chars killed simply for trying to find a decent server, which takes a while (been playing for a long time now and still havnt found a decent stable server).

10 second log out timer will fix all.

[/quote']

A log out timer alone won't be enough in my opinion. Adding a 5-10 sec freeze on logging in would solve the problem of people server hopping in barracks. It would also make it worthwhile to build fortifications which would make razorwire/tanktraps/sandbags useful.

Missed this thread entirely, should have checked announcements.

1) Aborting or disconnect to avoid death from zombies. Not so bad because at least it only effects the player who does it.

2) Server hopping to farm (check the same high yield location over and over). Really gamey and these players will have better loot than others by doing it which does effect others. At least they bear SOME risk from popping into a bad situation though.

3) Server aborting to avoid death in PvP. Pretty bad. Really breaks the experience.

4) Server hopping to flank or ambush players. (Disconnect, move location on another server, reconnect). The absolute worst in my opinion.

The simplest adjustment they could make, I think, is bump up the disconnect body timer.

They already added a 5 second period where your body remains in the game frozen when you disconnect. Why not make it longer, maybe a full minute? You could still do it but you have to find a safe spot to hide first. Or at least get a friend to watch the body. The general idea is to increase the risk of server hopping. Players who are in a safe spot and just looking for a server without much lag shouldn't have a problem.

I actually think this adds a bit of a fun phase to logging off for the night too. It's like looking for a safe spot to sleep for the night.

If you are looking for a good server presumably you likely just logged same safe spot where you logged off from playing last. So you would be unlikely to have a problem rapidly trying a bunch of servers in that same location to find a good one.

I like the idea of a shorter timer, 10 seconds maybe, on spawning into a server as well. You kinda get that sometimes just from lag but it should be standard.

How about a "Sorry, you cannot D/c during combat" mechanism? Seems to work for most games out there. I'm sure you can block Alt Tab and Alt f4 as well.

rocket already stated, its not that simple,, even 6 seconds is not that good, as it allows duping of bodies.. it was not designed for this as it was and is a simulator where people should not be fracking cheating... but still, im sure something might be done eventually :D

Yeah this just drives me up the wall. Look, you got shot, deal with it. Tired of not getting my loot (shoot better, blah blah). Might as well just counter the disconnecters by server hopping through sniping points on all the good loot spots. Assholes.

@SpawnDieSpawnDie One could simply pull the internet cord, or turnoff the modem etc

@Vitzo You are absolutely right in your points. But got to keep in mind that non-intentional disconnections happens often. Dying 50% of the time when the internet is acting up would get annoying real fast.

Disconnecting for any reason in a game where you should be shitting yourself around every turn is BS. Any excuse (crashed to desktop' date=' and/or have to leave ASAP) is BS. Take it back old school rocket and make people pay. If you follow the EA/Blizzard carebear path...

[/quote']

Do you mean implementing a logout timer? Because that is what World of WarCraft and Warhammer Online both have. Or do you have a more "hardcore" suggestion?

You all are worried about disconecting to avoid death. lol. How about worrying about something importatnt like all the hackers/cheaters and clan admin server cheats.

Let's get our priorities straight.

If the cheating isn't stopped the game will not do well IF it is ever actually sold for money.

Priorities:

1) Stop cheaters: mass murder 50 chaps on a server with a script is tons more disruptive than a guy disconnecting;

2) Ban the bad admins: kick ppl because they have killed you, or even worse restarting your server because someone want to rob your tent it's a shame.

3) Finally implement a solution to limit the "disconnection problem", trying to not affect much those ppl with an unstable internet connection.

Got stung by some d/cer tonight, coward vanished after i shot at him then somehow teleported in again 2 minutes later and killed me, server hopping/insta log out needs to stop

One tip, when a player leaves the server keep it active for 60 seconds after the timer expires the character log out. Ready an easy trick that works with people who Disconnecting: Idea:.

I only do it when I am being PVP, I can't stand that stuff. I don't play this game to hunt humans. I play to hunt Zeds and find cool Loot and Explore. Not letting some ass shoot me because he is bored with the game or some crap like that. If someone disconnects too much then keep them from login back in for like a half hour or a hour that would be my fix. I fight my way through the Zeds or get eaten in the process. I would love a server with no PVP so I can actually do something cool, and not have to worry about being wasted by some dude who spent no time trying to find loot and me who spent hours or days trying to find the stuff I have just to be snuffed out by some PVP Pussy. GO find your own loot. That’s my two cents.