Gert-Jan

i'm new and i get killed by everyone, even when i say FRIENDLY PLAYER in the chat screen.

So today, AGAIN, i played for a few hours now, walking for miles looking for those Deer Stands because they should have usefull stuf, IF i EVEN find one it's empty, i explore more using one of those maps on the net.

then suddenly i get shot EVERY fckn time!

are there even any servers who punish players who just kill on site and from distance with sniper rifles and ghilly suits?

servers that encourage survival and friendly playing???

the mod is great to some point, and then i get killed without warning or in a weird way (bug/hackers?)

hours of exploring gone to waste, i never found a gun sofar wtf?

if this mod is going stand alone, are these issues going to be balanced?

a NEWBIE from holland,

looking for friends/explorers to play with.

hating the 'kill on site without questions" players. (making me hate the mod every time i have to start over, for hours AGAIN)

• Like 3

PvP is part of the game, adapt or die

• Like 9

most players will kill on sight so your best chance is shoot first if you can find a gun in time

What do you expect? Anyone is a potential enemy and most people also carry stuff like food that's always nice. Besides, murder count increases when you shoot someone!

I've stopped killing every single unarmed person, but that applies only to people with no real (axe doesn't count unless they come close) weapons or no easy access to weapons. Or of course I'm friendly when I don't have a proper weapon myself.

most players will kill on sight so your best chance is shoot first if you can find a gun in time

Sad truth.

hating the 'kill on site without questions" players. (making me hate the mod every time i have to start over, for hours AGAIN)

If you are a threat you die. Otherwise i break your legs and walk away.

• Like 1

Don't trust anyone you don't know and move carefully!

You should plan every route you are going and know if the place will have survivors

Edited by TSAndrey
  • Like 1

If you go into cherno/elektro loads of gear to find in the fire stations / churches / school / supermarkets

This is DayZ Brother , killing is all apart of the game. Have some beans and chill. DON'T TRUST ANYONE ,Play with some buddies so you have back up.

• Like 1

Deer stands are a common loot point and the respawn is not fast, so most likely someone was there before you. For weapons try to find some sheds/bards... There are many of them and usually they will spawn axes and sometimes even some kind of rifles.

In the case you dont know it... if you picked up an axe, you can right click it in the inventory to detach it from your toolbelt.... then it works as a 2h weapon... if you zoom in when using it, you can kill zombies with it even before they reach you.... That helps you get into some buildings inside the towns. In most of them you can find pistols or other starter rifles along with food and drinks.

The problem is, that most players have already other players to play with, and right now only a few really behave friendly... Best would be to find some friends (so if you find 1-2 persons that dont kill you, try to keep playing with them) so you can trust them. Late game is more about pvp, So many people that respawn just want to gear up fast. And actually it is faster and saver to kill anyone else that is not a friend, so you can take what they have + they don't take loot in your vicinity.

I am very sure the standalone will enforce the players more to collaborate than this mod... but stick to it... once you know how to gear up and where to get your basic gear its fun! :)

• Like 1

Hello Gert-Jan, and welcome to the DayZ mod and DayZ forums!

Unfortunately, the environment is rich with mechanisms capable of ending your current character and starting you at zero. As smasht_AU stated above, there is a PvP element to the game, so you must be careful of how and where you decide to look for gear. This adds a layer of challenge to the simulation, so please respond accordingly. Also, the direct communication voice/text chat is only available to other players to a certain range. Beyond that range, one will not hear nor see the chat.

Add to all of this the PvE aspect and you have quite a hostile environment. Just keep all these things in the back of your mind and I think things will make a little more sense the next time you give the mod a whirl. A little paranoia goes a long way in DayZ. ;)

Saying Friendly almost always does nothing these days.

People just rather kill you as its safer.

Trust levels have dropped majorly.

• Like 1

1. It's been said before but PvP is part of DayZ. It's life and that's that. The majority of people KOS, I for one don't and have made numerous friends in the process. I've had to kill in self defense countless more times and have also died many times through not shooting first.

2. Saying friendly in Cherno is the biggest invitation to "hey shoot me I have many delicious beans"

3. Hackers are rampant. They suck but are getting banned daily, and in the Standalone it will nearly completely be solved.

4. Protect your beans.

• Like 1

I started with similar attitudes to yourself. But I recruited some friends.

You need to get real life friends to play. They are the only ones you can trust.

Hang in there mate. The mod has a very steep learning curve and is primarily a PVP experience. The best advice i can give you is to learn how to best kill/avoid players. Group content will come in time, but for now this is paramount to surviaval in dayz. Go to cherno/elektro, get yourself a gun, and start hunting for troublemakers. Im a bandit myself but i only kill those that pose a threat, or could offer me that bit of gear im missing. I NEVER kill unarmed players. Judge anyone with a weapon as hostile and deal with them accordingly, before they deal with you.

• Like 1

Hello Noobie from Holland.

First off, let me make sure you are typing "Friendly" in the appropriate chat distinction.

When entering the game, do the following:

1) hit your > Key on the keyboard

2) Stop once it says "Direct Communication"

Now, when you talk with you / Key, people will see what you say (it is on Group chat by default).

Most people at the start, in coastal regions, won't kill you if you have no weapons or anything beneficial to them. Now, I say "Most" because yes, there is the people out there that receive enjoyment by punishing the weak.

my suggestion to you is, run north, and find a barn. Run with the coast to your back! Barns are a great source for noobie loot.

Another tip:

1) Find a Hatchet

2) Press "G" on your keyboard

3) right click Hatchet in your tool belt

4) Equip Hatchet

5) Reload hatchet with "R" Key (lol)

Now you have a weapon! It is a one hit kill for zombies, and will Wreck a human player! This is an under looked weapon! it is silent, and a great tool in a sticky situation!

Hope these tips help.

Stay frosty, Stay alive

-Silo

not killing UN ARMED players should be a rule in this mod, i'm sick and tired of people shooting me if i do not even have any gear left because of a bug that made a zombie wound me from distance.

after zombie attack i use a bandage to stop bleeding and pain killers.

So if i get killed who's gonna use my empty gear?? wtf...

i found some axes, only to be shot after i stand up leaving the area around a village. got shot for what? having a fckn axe?

sometimes there is an ax in a log but i cannot pick it up? why have stuf like that in the mod if u can't use them??? fckn get rid of that!

i walk around for hours and gain nothing but being shot by someone in a ghilly suit, what's the point in playing this mod with this shit going on?

• Like 1

I think the main Problem on saying "friendly" is that most people just hear "free kill" :(

• Like 4

Alot of new players have been raised to believe DayZ is purely a deathmatch mode, where the purpose isn't to survive, rather to murder everyone in sight, even at the expense of their own safety. So at the moment you're better off treating everyone as something less intelligent, but better armed than zombies.

If you're a moving, you're a moving target.

If you learn to loot quickly, you're only a sitting target for a small time.

Whenever you see someone, place solid cover between you.

You can always ask someone if they are friendly from behind cover.

Always keep on the move in populated areas, always follow walls, change direction at every corner and keep close to solid cover at all times. If someone shoots at you, just run. Don't try to locate the shooter, run instantly. Run for cover and when you reach it, run for the next cover, run till you lose zombies and shooters.

People can't shoot accurately and run at the same time.

Edited by Dallas

Key is SURVIVAL in this mod!

you get a better chance at survival by working AS A TEAM.

so why isn't this encouraged more and are people who shoot on sight and NOT ask questions discouraged for their behaviour?

whil the stand alone have a system for this implemented?

Survivor and Bandit path?

killing un armed players whil gain u BANDIT reputation VISSIBLE to everyone?

so every one can team up accordingly?

PvP is just dumb, you do not get points, only empty GEAR wich u cannot loot, or if u r in luck some empty cans and an axe because the player did not even have a weapon on his back!

a sort of FRIENDLY FIRE thingy?

'FREE KILL" should be fckn punished if the killed players was a noob like me with nothing usefull on him anyway....

not killing UN ARMED players should be a rule in this mod

Yeah, well. Not farting should be a rule on airplanes, but it's not. So sometimes you just have to grin and bear it.

• Like 4

not killing UN ARMED players should be a rule in this mod, i'm sick and tired of people shooting me if i do not even have any gear left because of a bug that made a zombie wound me from distance.

after zombie attack i use a bandage to stop bleeding and pain killers.

So if i get killed who's gonna use my empty gear?? wtf...

i found some axes, only to be shot after i stand up leaving the area around a village. got shot for what? having a fckn axe?

sometimes there is an ax in a log but i cannot pick it up? why have stuf like that in the mod if u can't use them??? fckn get rid of that!

i walk around for hours and gain nothing but being shot by someone in a ghilly suit, what's the point in playing this mod with this shit going on?

Here is some more tips for you : )

1) you cannot pick up the axes that are in logs, they are more of an "art work" / Prop in the game!

2) The hatchet is a great weapon, I urge you to look in garages for one, and equipt it!

Down fall to Axe, it looks scary for other players to see you with an axe, as it looks like your dangerous!

3) Don't go to the populated Areas! BETTER YET, don't chose a populated server, instead of picking 50/50 , 30/30 servers... pick something with like 6-14 people in it! Until you get used to the game, you are at an EXTREME disadvantage against more veteran players.

4) Good luck, have fun. PVP is part of the game, people will kill you. People are more dangerous then zombies. They will not take it out of the game, as it is how humanity works in a zombie apocalypse! Kill or be killed.

Good luck, Swing hard, and Happy Hunting

-Silo

• Like 2

People kill because they get bored.

yes, survival works better in groups, up to a point where you know you can trust everyone in the group. A group too big you might find someone double crosses you, or keeps loot for themselves. For that reason, some players with decent gear prefer to play it safe, not trust a guy with no gear at all, and sometimes kill them.

Why is it necessary to kill them? The same reason you should DEFINITELY be able to kill players even if they have no gear. An ungeared player could still have geared up friends he's spotting for. This happens for real. It's a dirty trick, but one to watch out for.

So yes, while killing ungeared players constantly is pretty dumb in my opinion, if an ungeared player starts following my geared-up ass around, I get suspicious.

Also, I'm in the bandits-should-be-indistinguishable-from-survivors camp to be honest. The tension is greater when you don't know who to trust (and don't shoot on sight)

• Like 4