Gert-Jan

i'm new and i get killed by everyone, even when i say FRIENDLY PLAYER in the chat screen.

The reason that the players are all killing every other player out there is because they're the only game/threat. The zombies aren't a threat and as a result the people instead find it more fun to kill one another. If zombies wandered the wilderness, migrated toward loud sounds (heli/vehicle/gunshots), and if you needed proper shelter things would be different. Heck, everyone starts with the exact same skillset, which means that you don't need ANYONE else in order to accomplish anything, which isn't how it would run in real life and hopefully isn't how it will run in the standalone.

Basically, DayZ is just realistic enough to bring out the opportunistic idiot in people, but not realistic enough to bring out the reason that society formed in the first place.

• Like 2

Good luck! Hopefully you will make it out.. my character have currently lived for 69 days and is still at good health! I have killed only 37 zombies and committed only 1 murder yet! By simply following those rules!

Honestly... Where do you take your motivation to play then still? It looks like all you do is hiding in the woods, eating cooked meat you got from prey and drink water from refillable bottles....

How long do you play a day? If it is just 15 mins a day it might still be fun.

No offense, but no good gear, no PvP, only 37 Zombie kills in 69 days sounds like you are not doing anything in game really.

watch to the end ;)

BEST REPLY EVER!

thanks! lol

I've been there and done that, and yes it sucks. :( Especially if you're like me and basically just want to explore and avoid zombies. I would get so angry... because I'd be in a new area, having a great time finding things I'd never seen before (Ooooo civilian clothes!) and next thing I knew, I'd hear the zing of gunshots and then I'd roll over dead. UGH!

But... I started to look at it this way. Even if you die, you can still come back and explore some more. All you really need for several hours' good exploration is a hatchet to kill zombies that are attacking you, and those are everywhere. You can find enough food and canned soda along the way to survive without starving or thirsting to death while you explore.

I have no desire to become a geared-out-the-yang sniper. My husband might, if he ever plays... but that's not my style at all. I like exploring and finding new things. If I'm ever able to have a hatchet, knife, canteen, and matches all at the same time (are you listening RNG gods??) then I'll try to see how long I can live off the land... but you know, I think that might get a bit boring.

The fun in this game for me is the getting from Point A to Point B with that element of constant danger. The hostile players just add another aspect of danger.

That said, if you really are wanting to do a good bit of undisturbed exploration, choose a server with low population (like 2/40 or something like that) and play on it. If you arrive at night (a lot of low-pop servers are low-pop because it's night) then crank up your gamma and brightness... that helps me see enough to get around. A lot of people don't like to use the gamma/brightness because it ruins the nighttime effect (it really does) but I figure if you're new it's forgivable. Plenty of time later to try to explore in full dark. It's worth seeing, too... the full dark is creepily beautiful, especially if there's a fire somewhere or someone tosses a road flare.

At any rate, just know that nothing you've obtained thus far is irreplacable. And you may respawn in an area you've never seen before and/or have really good luck finding things right away (well... as long as you don't spawn in the barren hell that is Kamenka lol.) Spawn in, get your bearings, crawl around until you find a hatchet, and go from there.

Oh, and the hatchets, you have to right click on them and choose "remove from toolbelt" to make then an armed weapon. Also you have to reload them (just hit the letter R) the first time you do this. After that, hack and slash away! :D

u understand how i play!

hoping Stand Alone wil have more players like u!

i know the engine of the MOD sucks, but the GAMEPLAY it self is gonna be shit until A stage is..... free of.. errrr....right? :P

i just hate the fact that someone has put so much effort in this mod and in no time the mod is being spoiled by hackers and players who don't give a shit and just fire away not giving newbies a chance to enjoy and completely get imersed..

Edited by Gert-Jan

I imagine if this ever becomes a standalone game, there will be non-pvp servers, where you cannot target/hurt other players. However, then they'd have to make it so you couldn't save your character from server to server, because you'd have people gearing up in the relative safety of non-pvp servers and then logging off on top of the firehouse in Cherno, only to re-log onto a PvP server in the same place and raise hell lol.

If they started doing all of that, though... can you imagine how complicated it would get? O_o

The problem is, that too many reduce themselfs to deathmatching, thinking its the only way to play.

Its a lame excuse for deathmatcher to say, that unarmed could try to steal my lootz, they could warn them and kill them only if they get too close.

I play this, because I can make choices, that I cant make in objective based games, and deathmatch games.

I will never reduce myself choices to kill or be killed. I only kill if I have a reason, bleeding hunger can be a reason too.

But, play the way you want to play, dont get too attached to lootz, try not to repeat your mistakes, be more careful the next time, and dont reduce yourself to deathmatching.

For me, every deathmatcher increases the challenge, so its much greater challenge for me to play this game differently than any other deathmatch game I have.

Sure my way gets me killed more easily, but if I reduce to deathmatching, I could very well go play any other kill or be killed game I have.

Just a thought: One might be adding to their personal threat level as perceived by other players by typing or voicing "friendly". So many bandits use this tactic as a way to draw out unsuspecting fools.

Whenever I hear someone yell friendly I bug out immediately cuz I know it's bullshit.

(video on post #49)

watch to the end ;)

Epic.

Just a thought: One might be adding to their personal threat level as perceived by other players by typing or voicing "friendly". So many bandits use this tactic as a way to draw out unsuspecting fools.

Whenever I hear someone yell friendly I bug out immediately cuz I know it's bullshit.

I would not be too fast to trust anyone either.

I try to play this game thinking how I would really be, and try to be myself.

Thats something you cant do in any other game, while making it challenging.

Only because there is bandits, is this game a great challenge, but currently every "bandit" I've met have been KoS deathmatchers, lazy kids.

(sorry if I assume, cant know if you only really wanted my flashlight or something)

I imagine if this ever becomes a standalone game, there will be non-pvp servers, where you cannot target/hurt other players. However, then they'd have to make it so you couldn't save your character from server to server, because you'd have people gearing up in the relative safety of non-pvp servers and then logging off on top of the firehouse in Cherno, only to re-log onto a PvP server in the same place and raise hell lol.

If they started doing all of that, though... can you imagine how complicated it would get? O_o

This situation is already in play now - in a fashion. Some NON-HIVE servers are running in "Sanctuary" mode where players tend not to harm one another; rather, they aid each other in a number of ways and in most Sanctuary Servers, the Side Chat and Global Voice chat is active. Since the servers are NON-HIVE, any gear you gain does not transfer to HIVE servers.

Honestly... Where do you take your motivation to play then still? It looks like all you do is hiding in the woods, eating cooked meat you got from prey and drink water from refillable bottles....

How long do you play a day? If it is just 15 mins a day it might still be fun.

No offense, but no good gear, no PvP, only 37 Zombie kills in 69 days sounds like you are not doing anything in game really.

Aside from a one week vacation, I honestly play around 1 hour each day if putting all the hours togehter!

Actually I am not only doing the daily basis like as you mentioned + inmate care,

I live as a friendly lone doctor that prey upon other survivors and hide myself when getting their attention via VOIP or Direct comm, asking them if they need some medical treatment or where they are heading!

When moving around, I always think "if I were a sniper/bandit, where would I be camping?" That ensured my survival!

I have befriended a few lone walkers and survived rampaging soldiers shooting everyhting that moves. My scariest moment was when I tended to my backpack in night, somewhere mid of the dark forest. I closed my backpack and then there was movement sounds in the night, quick as damn hell I dived for ground and hid my ass behind a rock. Sure enough a entire party consisting of 10 armed to teeth survivers bypassed me! That IS excitement!

Join with me and then you will enjoy living the lone mans life, using medium gear, all whilst your life is at stake!

P.S I do raid towns after supply, have been lucky so far (maybe because I do it always in night?)!

P.S 2 NO, I dont put gamma/bright to max. I actually fucking enjoy the game... using tactical light...

Edited by Camoplast

i would suggest to play on a lower pop server till you know where you can find the gear you need (supermarkets, deer stands, orange houses, barns)

especially barns are good for finding starter primary weapons like a double barreled shotgun or winchester...the shotgun is pretty useless but the winchester is a really nice starter weapon.

This situation is already in play now - in a fashion. Some NON-HIVE servers are running in "Sanctuary" mode where players tend not to harm one another; rather, they aid each other in a number of ways and in most Sanctuary Servers, the Side Chat and Global Voice chat is active. Since the servers are NON-HIVE, any gear you gain does not transfer to HIVE servers.

Oh is that what the hive/non-hive thing means in the server list? I did not know that and I did not know the gear didn't transfer. Good to know, thanks! :)

Welcome to DayZ op. A world full of violence and senseless killing.

Edited by Vipala

not sure if trolling or serious

OP if you wanted to "survive"

get the following 4 items

• Hatchet
  • Canteen
  • Box of Matches
  • Hunting Knife

now find an area far away from towns/cities with a pond or other water source nearby then continue to drink water and eat pig meat

congrats

you have survived DayZ

GAME OVER

Edited by Bulletproof Sandwich
  • Like 1

OP there are people that do not KOS, but many others that feel that's the whole point of the game is to kill anyone and everyone you see no matter what...its even gotten so bad some even kill unarmed players.

What I would suggest is you make friends here on the forums first, then try to find some decent people to join up with in game?

Good Luck...and don't give up! :)

Gert there are other threads just below this with new players asking to join up. Why don't you reply in those and make so new friends? :)

Another thing:

WATER!!!

i've been crawling my ass trough villages and along coast lines, in search of those damn Deer Stands near a LAKE.

My water bottle emblem starts flashing... o dear....

HEY! A fckn lake! FRESH WATER!!! i dart to it (checking for zombies and ghilly fckers moving their barrels etc...

NO OPTION TO DRINK FRESH FCKN WATER FROM A FCKN LAKE!!!

i merily splash in to a pond or little lake (ish) but i cannot use my garbage dump... errrrrrrrr, bag full of empty tin cans and whiskey bottles to fill them with FRESH water????

I am friggin'standing in CONSUMEBLE water but no freaking way to actually do something??

whaaaat?

a water pump in a zombie infested village that contains zombie germ free water? riiiiight! but i should be able to drink from it IF i have a military canteen?

even a whiskey bottle is not of use here????? (never encountered a water pump so far, so could be my bad....)

But a LAKE in a forest has no consumeble water?? hmmmmmmmm

if u manage to implement drinking from a water pump, why not from a lake/pond in the great outdoors???? where zombies are minimal? wich kinda is realistic?

Why only military canteens to drink from?

Or is my version of ARMA OA DAYZ so fck up i get all this bad gameplay and bugged gameplay?

i understand lakes/ponds whil get CAMPED by lazy bumz if this would be implemented but stil, aren't water pumps in zombie villages less dangerous?

Respect for you has instantly down graded its a fucking game its not suppose to be 100% on realistic. and for the killing get the fuck over it or get the fuck off the game.

@OP Humans can be nasty. Just whenever you spawn, avoid the cities.

Go straight up north, and find a weapon. A hatchet is the best choice to start with, and they are everywhere.

Just take your time, and scout villages for food and drinks to stay healthy. There are various places to get better weapons, but then again, going back to the city only gets you killed. The cities are a warzone, everything that moves is shot.

I personally took to wandering away from populated places. Zeds are enough of a problem to deal with on their own.

Find a friend to show you the ropes, or join one of the big survivor groups. It was easier as a noob back in may-june before the universal KOS policy and rampant hacking, but once you get the hang of it you can be kitted up with decent gear and an assault rifle within 30 minutes of spawning. Keep at it, adapt your playing style and don't rage over deaths.

Gert there are other threads just below this with new players asking to join up. Why don't you reply in those and make so new friends? :)

already done

o great...

survived 6 hours.. then got kicked because of "client not responding".. wtf?

updating to version 1.62 works but the install screen hangs at 100% and,

if i join a server (just to see if the update works anyway) now it says it's missing files wtf???

another couple of hours gone to waste..