griffinz

DayZ Standalone Confirmed

Rocket on reddit guys.....things are looking good for this year!

t's taken a bit longer to get the news out than I expected, simply because I spent 30 hours in a plane, arrived home for the first time in a year, and realized how dog-tired and sick I was from having worked like crazy for a year. I slept for about 20 hours in a row.

I'm drafting together the roadmap, and the news will be good and naturally not perfect. We're happy with how things are going, and the more time that goes on the more we can confirm. For me, the most important thing is not to confirm anything in the devblog that we don't have a high confidence in. Sometimes that means I have to leave stuff out, or wait to say stuff, because we just don't know how it will turn out. We're very, very early in the development process - at a time when experimentation of core elements is still very much in vogue.

While me heading back to NZ for a couple of weeks is going to make things a bit slower, already the psychological benefits are feeling massive for me.

The December target I set was a good and bad thing. It was good because it forced our development to push heavily towards a target. Without that target, I have no doubt we would be significantly further behind than we are, and we probably would have made some different decisions which would have not been as positive for the project. It was bad because of the expectations it set. That target relates to what was achievable in terms of releasing a "mod on steroids", whereas halfway through we abandoned that and went for a "new game based on the mod" - which is far more ambitious and really what everyone wants. But that meant achieving the december release is much harder, still because I'd made that promise it made the programmers work much harder.

It does become a bit overwhelming when literally everywhere I go, both on the in

For those that play KSP, let me put it like this:

We've achieved escape velocity, it's just that our inclination is a bit off.

Edited by Ovation
  • Like 2

Let it go guys. Enjoy your free time and your holidays and look towards your new favorite game early next year.

• Like 2

Rocket on reddit guys.....things are looking good for this year!

t's taken a bit longer to get the news out than I expected, simply because I spent 30 hours in a plane, arrived home for the first time in a year, and realized how dog-tired and sick I was from having worked like crazy for a year. I slept for about 20 hours in a row.

I'm drafting together the roadmap, and the news will be good and naturally not perfect. We're happy with how things are going, and the more time that goes on the more we can confirm. For me, the most important thing is not to confirm anything in the devblog that we don't have a high confidence in. Sometimes that means I have to leave stuff out, or wait to say stuff, because we just don't know how it will turn out. We're very, very early in the development process - at a time when experimentation of core elements is still very much in vogue.

While me heading back to NZ for a couple of weeks is going to make things a bit slower, already the psychological benefits are feeling massive for me.

The December target I set was a good and bad thing. It was good because it forced our development to push heavily towards a target. Without that target, I have no doubt we would be significantly further behind than we are, and we probably would have made some different decisions which would have not been as positive for the project. It was bad because of the expectations it set. That target relates to what was achievable in terms of releasing a "mod on steroids", whereas halfway through we abandoned that and went for a "new game based on the mod" - which is far more ambitious and really what everyone wants. But that meant achieving the december release is much harder, still because I'd made that promise it made the programmers work much harder.

It does become a bit overwhelming when literally everywhere I go, both on the in

For those that play KSP, let me put it like this:

We've achieved escape velocity, it's just that our inclination is a bit off.

I hope it gets released this year bu the poor guy sounds very tired and just wants to rest up for a wile. I would not be mad at all if it is delayed until 2013 Rocket and the rest of DayZ developers deserve there rest.

I've got a feeling it's going to be released in early 2013, But you never know... Rocket may surprise us :P.

keep up the good work guys! :D

i think what he means is that. they will have it ready, but they are tired as fuck

On behalf of the community, I want to sincerely thank Rocket and his team for creating a very good game and whether it is released this month or next year, we don't care as long as the game doesn't turn out like the SkipZ which is very unlikely.

• Like 2

So as the topic says im quite curious(pretty much like everyone i think) whats going on with development state of standalone? I dont demand anything just asking, coz first telling about release before xmas, there are 8 days to christmas and still no info whatsoever, its not rly nice.

sincerely,

lucas

Edited by hut

I could say "it has been delayed" but what has been delayed? there are many forms and ways to release something. The fact is, there are many things we COULD do, and we're checking to see that what we can do is the best for where we want to be in a few months time.

So saying it will be delayed would be incorrect, as it may not be delayed. But exactly how, what, and in what way of release - all these things need to be considered against how they factor into future releases. It is not only me, or even the dev team, who make those decisions so there are many stakeholders. I could announce all these things but it is unfair until all those stakeholders involved have a chance to input as they are affected (or some, such as Steam, required to do some work as part of it).

Edited by smasht_AU

-snip-

tl;dr - It's not coming out this month.

Edited by Tewlsy The Toolbag

So many impatient people. It will be done when it is done. Play what we have for now and just relax about the standalone.

Give the man his well deserved time with his family for the holidays. 2013 is a new year.

the only thing is...why cherno again?this map already boring so ppl making different maps,wider and more interesting.so why cherno why :(

I wish he could be just somewhat straight forward and give us facts instead of riddles, I really don't mind SA being delayed I just want straight answers. I also realise that he cannot openly share his ideas because some other game devs *cough* *cough* Sergey *cough* *cough* might steal his ideas and so on but a straight forward update would be nice.

Anyway, I thank Rocket for giving us such an awesome game! :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans:

Edited by Dr.PoonHammer
  • Like 1

the only thing is...why cherno again?this map already boring so ppl making different maps,wider and more interesting.so why cherno why :(

Cherno is awesome. It was chosen to be the Dayz map, not without a reason. Other fan made maps are not the same.

By the way, it is Chernarus plus. It has enterable buildings and more areas.

• Like 2

Have you seen the screenshots from the standalone? The building with 3 or 4 storeys can be a sniper spot or an ambush point, that's something that keeps me interested in the upcoming DayZ SA.

• Like 1

Have you seen the screenshots from the standalone? The building with 3 or 4 storeys can be a sniper spot or an ambush point, that's something that keeps me interested in the upcoming DayZ SA.

The main thing is with some people on here, they don't check out the official game blog/tumblr, which does withhold screenshots.

www.dayzgame.com

• Like 1

So i guess we can say it is going to delay? Rocket is very good at talking around it :P

just normal dev response everyone does it basically never confirm anything unless you know its done. he knows if its wrong hell be lynched.

loads of words when all you need to say it aint done yet chaps.

Check the recent post rocket made on reddit. Heres the link. http://www.reddit.com/user/rocket2guns

I could say "it has been delayed" but what has been delayed? there are many forms and ways to release something. The fact is, there are many things we COULD do, and we're checking to see that what we can do is the best for where we want to be in a few months time.

So saying it will be delayed would be incorrect, as it may not be delayed. But exactly how, what, and in what way of release - all these things need to be considered against how they factor into future releases. It is not only me, or even the dev team, who make those decisions so there are many stakeholders. I could announce all these things but it is unfair until all those stakeholders involved have a chance to input as they are affected (or some, such as Steam, required to do some work as part of it).

in other words we are not waiting on rocket we are waiting on other people to give greenlights for news etc

Sounds like hes having problems releasing it on Steam in the time line he wanted, and hes on hold with Steam, seeing if he could swap over at a later date after he does a hard-copy release... :D

Honestly thats what ran through my head when reading his very confusing post... LoL.

• Like 1