griffinz

DayZ Standalone Confirmed

You do realise of course that DayZ development as mod will die pretty quickly even though they claim it will still be supported. It will get half attention straight away because of it becoming 2 projects instead of 1 and then since the standalone won't be free, it will get all the focus and pretty soon. Just watch the space. It is indeed the end of the beginning which was the DayZ mod.

Edited by Killzone_Kid

do we even know what engine he's using, everyone keeps saying arma 3 engine but if its stand alone he might be moving away from arma... Arma 2 engine was such shit god only knows if 3 will be any good.

Had a feeling something big was going to happen soon since we hadn't heard from anyone in over a week.

Glad it was good news, would have been sad to see the project end.

you have had your hand forced by WARZ, now it will be a race to see which is released first.

• Like 1

good news to hear, hopefully the main focus will be stopping hacks/cheaters, the main ground work for the game is done, stoping hacks should have a high priority

cant wait for release, will had over cash gladly for it

This is great news but for the love of god and sweet black baby Jesus, optimize it properly if any way possible.

And climbing ladders... I mean, you go to a ladder. You know you're going to climb it. You don't open a menu and think, hmm should I climb this obstacle or not... :U

• Like 2

the announcement was the best news ive heard all month can not wait.

I'm curious about two things:

Is Rocket going to be given a team of coders to work alongside? I feel that the reason the mod is progressing so slowly (I'm sure many other veteran players will agree that it's growing stagnant, what with no real new features forthcoming in the last month or two - and nothing particularly gamechanging since the release of the mod) is because, every time Rocket releases a small new feature he manages to break the pernicious little engine that the mod is run on. Afterwards, he has to spend a good month releasing half a dozen hotfixes to weed out the numerous bugs produced by any minute progress he makes. If a team of other coders familiar with ArmA II/III's engine were working with him, fixing bugs and assisting with new features, development would be much faster.

And, secondly: why will the mod continue to be developed alongside the standalone? Will they be markedly different games? If so, what's the inspiration to continue working on the mod, therefore dividing Rocket's attention between two separate entities? If not, why continue making the mod if the standalone is essentially the same thing?

Ah, well. We'll know in good time, I imagine.

• Like 3

Pah before i will pay 4 dayZ i waiting 4 WarZ and preorder this.... impossible rly... dayZ is broken i my eyes to easy to find the gear etc in all big citys like Elektro/cherno i dont life more than 10mins.. than the noobs are all snipiung.. thats not rly fun make PvE Servers than i will coming back but dayZ its a 100% PvP Atm...

Edit: And the Biggest of the Most problems are the hacker.. thats crazy how mutch ppl are using hacks to exploit a heli or the as50... bohemia nerfet all weapons but the sniping weapons not so i dont understand this shit.. its rly 100% PvP and Sniping game at the Moment...

Edited by TeRRoRDoG
  • Like 1

wow crazy comments about warZ the game looks and sounds complete pants. it could just about pass as a cartoon it looks horrible. not to mention the wow/battlefield template shite. id bet money on it that half of thoughs features they spouted as well didnt even come to the table until dayZ took the world by storm. poor poor imitator of a gritty nasty realistic superb survival zombie game, nothing else comes close.

• Like 1

Pah before i will pay 4 dayZ i waiting 4 WarZ and preorder this.... impossible rly... dayZ is broken i my eyes to easy to find the gear etc in all big citys like Elektro/cherno i dont life more than 10mins.. than the noobs are all snipiung.. thats not rly fun make PvE Servers than i will coming back but dayZ its a 100% PvP Atm...

If you're dying every ten minutes, you just aren't good at this game. I've been alive for two weeks on my current character, and my friend has been alive for a fairly continuous 54 days.

Also, this isn't the thread to be making comments about how the game is "broken."

You do realise of course that DayZ development as mod will die pretty quickly even though they claim it will still be supported. It will get half attention straight away because of it becoming 2 projects instead of 1 and then since the standalone won't be free, it will get all the focus and pretty soon. Just watch the space. It is indeed the end of the beginning which was the DayZ mod.

Obvious effect:

- The mod will receive updates until the new engine standalone version is ready for first public release and perhaps for a bit after that.

- Once the majority of players have shifted to playing the better standalone version, very few will care about the mod becoming less important. Once the server and player numbers take a nosedive, the potential backlash for the mod being shelved will be almost non-existing. Who cares about buggy ArmA2-based version when the new shiny ArmA3 engine based one with all these new things and fixes is available?

The whole announcement about mod development continuing is a way to keep the current 1M+ playerbase content until they can ship something standalone. Just dropping the mod today would cause them to lose a lot of hard-earned mindshare. Plus the continued mod development can be used to test things for the standalone before the standalone gets to a playable alpha state.

• Like 6

Great news, congratulations to you Rocket, that's well deserved.

I've never been more enthusiastic waiting for a game to come out.

If you guys go into the directions you suggested some time ago, with fortificating enabled, and more open buildings this will just be a goddamn crazy stuff.

I'm already thinking of what a season evolutive environment would look like, too... Tracking survivors in the snow, following footprints.

A nice can of beans in a sunny afternoon on a roof, that's how it's meant to be !

Dunno if its posted or not, because im lazy to read it all. ^_^ But if its not, then DayZ game will use ArmA 3 engine, the Real Virtuality 4 and Rocket will be able to edit engine itself as well as ArmA 2 (meybe) to create some fixes and highly demanded things as better zombie AI. Release date was hinted to be later on this year, but im not sure if thats rumor or not. But as we heard before, DayZ was already implemented into ArmA 3 as a mod months ago with some effort.

Except for this i must say congratz to Rocket for pulling this off, creating awesome mod for all of us, having the incredible patience with all of us, no matter how blind people are and some who still cant see his 48 size pink font. :) Also kudos to Bohemia for being reasonable (no offence intended, just from view at gaming industry giants, there would this probably not happen, or it will did for money milking purpouses) and creating cooperation with Rocket and putting him as Lead in DayZ standalone and the engine as well.

you have had your hand forced by WARZ, now it will be a race to see which is released first.

LOL Yea we have seen concept art screenshots of WarZ. Not even a video. If I was Rocket I'd be sleeping very sound at night knocking that WarZ is a bunch of vaporware and empty promises rather than an actual game that is about to be released.

My only question, does anyone know if we'll be getting a new map with this new Standalone? or will it still be the same map?

And This! Is EpiC!!! Can't wait

Thread unlocked. I don't want to see anyone posting anything like;

"I paid for Arma 2 for nothing, what a waste. Give me DayZ for free!"

You bought a game for a free mod, that was the decision you made. By the time the standalone is released, you will have 2 games (Arma 2, DayZ) for less than the price of Skyrim.

People who fail to heed this warning will receive one.

im so on the other side of the fence, i bought arma 2 just so i could play dayz , and im more than willing to buy dayz itself maybe even make a donation as well. This game has been just a bright spot in my gaming time lately. Even with the hackers i still play it. Can't wait for the stand alone!

• Like 1

LOL Yea we have seen concept art screenshots of WarZ. Not even a video. If I was Rocket I'd be sleeping very sound at night knocking that WarZ is a bunch of vaporware and empty promises rather than an actual game that is about to be released.

this announcement is a direct responce to WARZ. its obvious to me.

its alot further on than concept too. it may turn out to be shite, but if it doesnt and it comes out soon and complete not like "alpha dayZ", then dayZ is fucked

Minecraft pricing? I can live with that ^^

Keep in mind to provide Modding tools, that's a thing the Minecraft community is screaming for since a year now.

Theres already mod tools lol