ZedsDeadBaby

The tactical significance of sniper rifles, accumulated rebuttals and why they're here to stay

The only things that I feel should be removed is Thermal and Night Vision Goggles/Scopes. Not because I got owned by them or anything, they just take a lot of the fun out of playing the game at night. Flashlights should be able to be attached/used with every secondary weapon so that everyone could use one at night right from the start. To use a flashlight on your primary you would have to find a primary with a flashlight, just how it is now, but more flashlight attached weapons should be added.

The L85 Thermal is especially lame, once you have it, you're basically no longer afraid of other players, at least that's how it is for me. I will see anyone coming from any direction up to about 800m+ and could easily kill them before they even get close.

As for sniping at night, you would have to work with a group of friends, find players when they turn their lights on or throw flares/chemlights. You could have your friend shoot an M203 flare and snipe during the time that it's lit.

Keeping night vision on the rangefinder would be fine because then a sniper could know the range to the targets before he saw them, soon as the lights went on he could begin firing, this is balanced because the sniper is the spotter for his team and it generally takes snipers longer to engage their targets because they have to judge the distance. The rangefinder could basically be used to scout locations at night but wouldn't give any real advantage once the actual combat started.

The gameplay would be so much more intense, frightening and exciting at night without Thermal or Night Vision Goggles/Scopes. It would also make flashlights and other illuminating items useful.

tl;dr - Removing Thermal and Night Vision Goggles/Scopes and adding the ability to use a flashlight with every secondary weapon as well as adding more primary weapons with flashlights would add a lot of balance to the game as well as making night gameplay much more exciting and frightening.

Also, This is coming from a player that has plenty of the items mentioned and has used them for a long time.

Edited by Psychobob
  • Like 1

fixed that for you, brah.

Learn to read, kid. I was flanked, as in people coming towards me from my sides. One I spotted a fair way off (300m), the other two were within 150m before they were spotted. Not to mention other snipers (who have just as long of an effective range as I do).

Edited by xFortune

please excuse my stupidity for asking this but wouldn't keeping night vision on rangefinders just be a more limited version of the nvgs that generally only good for snipers/overwatch? I would say also remove the NV option from the rangefinders because than all it takes is a quick check of range before firing.

I've added a section addressing the encumbrance, size and maintenance issues which have been raised in the thread.

Thanks for a decent discussion thus far.

• Like 1

Dear me, you're just not very bright, are you?

Try reading my post - or better yet, get someone to read it for you - and then address the points in it. I'm not really bothered about avoiding snipers, killing snipers, tickling snipers, dropping my backpack in front of them and having a boogie...

I don't care about sniper rifles being 'overpowered'. Every gun in this game will kill you far faster than any other FPS - and that's just great in my book. Fits right in with what I want DayZ to be.

I'm bothered about the fact that once you have a sniper rifle, you are effectively removed from the 'dark brutal world' the dev's are striving to create.

I want survivors fighting in the mud with hatchets over a can of beans, while a zombie horde approaches to tear their livers out and devour them before the survivors still-seeing eyes .....

I want running battles in the streets, where Cherno and Electro ring with the rattle of the AK and the pop of the Makarov.

That's the fate I want - and I don't want anyone to be able to log into this game and escape it by sitting on a hill 800 metres away taking pot shots at people, pausing to drink a coke and eat a steak, and then getting right back to it.

To me - that's easy mode.

And to me, that's false. Not having to worry about snipers makes the game easy mode, because then you can run anywhere and anyone who wants to shoot you will have to come close to you first. You can simply run across that nice wide open field instead of following the treeline along the clearing, because nobody from far away is going to shoot you. They have to come close to do that.

And to me, that's false. Not having to worry about snipers makes the game easy mode, because then you can run anywhere and anyone who wants to shoot you will have to come close to you first. You can simply run across that nice wide open field instead of following the treeline along the clearing, because nobody from far away is going to shoot you. They have to come close to do that.

no offensive but it is possible to kill a moving target with a m4 cco or even the m16 acog at max 600m(i've done it, in arma 2)

no offensive but it is possible to kill a moving target with a m4 cco or even the m16 acog at max 600m(i've done it, in arma 2)

Yes, but it requires a fair bit more skill than a sniper does. A player with an assault rifle 600m away is a lot less of a threat than a player with a sniper.

Edited by Zoop

Yes, but it requires a fair bit more skill than a sniper does. A player with an assault rifle 600m away is a lot less of a threat than a player with a sniper.

while yes they are less of a threat, but still a threat. So it should still provide the rush of being shot at. :P

Edited by Orthus

you cant hit anything with an assult rifle on 600 meters... its effective range 300 meters in most cases, wich basicly makes it virtual impossible to hit anything from double that distance.. unless ofc you are VERY badass at calculating the angle and shit :P and maybe shot the bullet in a 45 degree angle :P but i seriously doubt it.

SNIPER RIFLES IN THIS GAME ARE SO BS THEY SHOULD ALL BE REMOVED AND WE SHOULD ALL JUST LOVE EACH OTHER AND HAVE A BBQ IN CHERNO!!!!!! loljks I agree 100% with op they are a valid weapon and are only good under the correct circumstances, granted we do have the dicks who camp people who have their flashlights but that is a problem with the players not the gun, the amount of times i have seen .50 cal cherno/elektro campers die to an enfeild lol IMO skill/tactial awareness > what weapon you have, Good topic OP I have a feeling you are going to become a Fat ass from all the Beans you will be receiving :)

A - Accept the fact that they are here to stay, and get over it.

or

B - Create your own zombie survival mod.

where do you know that from? i know; you guessed it.

you cant hit anything with an assult rifle on 600 meters... its effective range 300 meters in most cases, wich basicly makes it virtual impossible to hit anything from double that distance.. unless ofc you are VERY badass at calculating the angle and shit and maybe shot the bullet in a 45 degree angle but i seriously doubt it.

Set up test in editor and see for your self. Also what I was saying is that even assault rifles add to the tension.

...I don't want anyone to be able to log into this game and escape it by sitting on a hill 800 metres away taking pot shots at people, pausing to drink a coke and eat a steak, and then getting right back to it.

To me - that's easy mode.

If you care so much about bringing the "cruel, dark and brutal" experience to the snipers, go hunt them.

If sniping is too easy for you don't do it.

If what you really meant was 'DayZ is too hard for me because of the snipers,' STFU and go play Farmville.

" 1 SHOOT KILL SHOULD NOT BE IN THE GAME , REMOVE THE ANTI_MATERIAL SNIPER RIFLES " etc etc etc BS ! You don't have time to Alt+F4 cabron ?

"I GOT SNIPED IN CHERNO..." ETC... Wtf noob?I don't understand why people goes in Cherno?(Electro , BErezino whatever) And why you climb in firestation? Stop fucking loot the firestation and don't stand on top of the buildings. If you don't stop avoid big citys , STOP FUCKING COMPLAIN ABOUT HOW YOU GOT YOUR FUCKING DICK HEAD SNIPED

Yeah , I'm a sniper , this is my type of play.I snipe noobs for my team ! In a apocaliptic world weak people get killed by strongest people , THE BIG FISH EAT THE LITTLE FISH ! DEAL with it or fuck off and die !

I don't agree with some of the points. There is just one thing though that I'd like to point out:

If instead of semi-automatic .50 cal snipers we had the KVSV (Bolt action) or if they replaced the backpack (as they should) I'd be totally happy to have them.

But they are one hit, one kill, good luck if you manage to doge my whole magazine if I miss you on the first shot rifles that have basically no downsides. It might be somehow realistic (apart from the weight/backpack aspect) but it's not interesting to use/face.

I used to want them removed, but now I want them to be "Nerfed":

- Either no backpack (like the rocket launcher)

- Or the bolt action russian version that replaces the two others.

Like that, there still is a way to take down choppers rather reliably, still is a way to one-shot, but it's a choice with downsides.

• Like 1

you cant hit anything with an assult rifle on 600 meters... its effective range 300 meters in most cases, wich basicly makes it virtual impossible to hit anything from double that distance.. unless ofc you are VERY badass at calculating the angle and shit :P and maybe shot the bullet in a 45 degree angle :P but i seriously doubt it.

this is the biggest pile of shit I've ever read. no offence but we used to use the SA80 on the 500 meter range all the time. the 600m range used to require very little adjustment for bullet drop.

maybe actually using a gun instead of reading about it would do you some service.

• Like 2

If duping wasn't near automatic, including magazine refill upon login would you really waste rounds shooting at somebody's feet? If you're going to use a bullet you should maximize the return on your investment. Aim for the head and then drink all their Dew.

This. Fix the ammo being refreshed and the duping and see how many people start shooting then. When you have to actually make shots count and knowing the scarcity of rare ammo types, people will be less likely to fire off anything but an enfield.

this is the biggest pile of shit I've ever read. no offence but we used to use the SA80 on the 500 meter range all the time. the 600m range used to require very little adjustment for bullet drop.

maybe actually using a gun instead of reading about it would do you some service.

Agreed! You can hit people at 600 metres in-game too. Just gotta adjust a lot and have quite a lot of patience. Also good luck actually killing, as the damage drops off rapidly after 300 metres.

• Like 1

what is everyone's thought on keeping .50 caliber rifles however instead of the semi-automatics like the m107 and AS50, we have bolt action like the m2000,KSVK, M98B?

edit: someone else posted this in another thread, however I thought it would be a good idea and should be discussed.

Edited by Orthus

" 1 SHOOT KILL SHOULD NOT BE IN THE GAME , REMOVE THE ANTI_MATERIAL SNIPER RIFLES " etc etc etc BS ! You don't have time to Alt+F4 cabron ?

"I GOT SNIPED IN CHERNO..." ETC... Wtf noob?I don't understand why people goes in Cherno?(Electro , BErezino whatever) And why you climb in firestation? Stop fucking loot the firestation and don't stand on top of the buildings. If you don't stop avoid big citys , STOP FUCKING COMPLAIN ABOUT HOW YOU GOT YOUR FUCKING DICK HEAD SNIPED

Yeah , I'm a sniper , this is my type of play.I snipe noobs for my team ! In a apocaliptic world weak people get killed by strongest people , THE BIG FISH EAT THE LITTLE FISH ! DEAL with it or fuck off and die !

14 year-old pre-pubescent boy detected.

Do not take my AS50 , I kill you ! Every fucking rifleman who gets his dick head sniped every day because he is retard QQs on the forums , "REMOVE THE M107 and AS50 meow mewo " gtfo

14 year-old pre-pubescent boy detected.

you can blow my dick

[user warned, 24 hour PPS. -Max]

Edited by Max Planck

The people in this thread who want to keep all of the sniper rifles in the game as-is don't really have much of an argument. All of the rifles should be reduced in accuracy, and sniper rifles below .50 cal should all take a big damage reductio. .50 cal rifles should have heavy recoil after each shot. It shouldn't be possible to hit anything while standing with a .50 cal.