munchy

The PvP Discussion Thread

Beach griefers provide a valuable service to new players.

-Get off the beach.

-Be careful who you trust.

It's better to learn the lesson on the beach, while you're only going to lose your worthless starter gear.

That doesn't even address my previous post. It's very damn relevant when you have spawns being camped by griefers' date=' or random killings even when people are helpful, because it puts people off of trying to get into the mod, and makes being "good" and not a mass-murderer a fairly bad choice for survival, something that just doesn't happen in reality. [/quote']

no, there is no difference to the people i kill at all if i sit at the coast killing people for supplies or just for fun

the end result is that they are dead

It has a lot of effect on me' date=' btw. It's no fun to spawn, get shot in the head, go through the loading process again, spawn again, get shot AGAIN, rinse, repeat. It might be fun for the little bastard sitting in a crane sniping people, but it's not even remotely fun for the people he keeps griefing. The mod should be developed so that /everyone/ can have fun, and not just a select few that manage to get their hands on decent gear and kill everything in sight.[/quote']

again player intentions has nothing to do with killing people at the coast

It'd be different if it were an MMO' date=' and the people that kill indiscriminately were actually getting something, like experience points. All they're getting is a giggle and the knowledge that other players aren't enjoying the game.

[/quote']

what the other player gains has no effect on you, other then the one you make up in your head

1: That makes two trolls using memes in this thread, when people are trying to have a serious discussion about this subject.

2: deadbolt, you seem to be taking this from a "real-life" perspective, and not a gaming perspective. It's confusing, because you're completely ignoring the legitimate reasoning behind being bothered that there's no downside to just sitting in a crane or on a building sniping people as they spawn, and instead doing what I'm pretty sure amounts to accusing me of having a complex of sorts.

I've recently decided to go the more difficult direction of playing, and mind you, it is easier when I'm playing with a large group of friends. I am aiming for the highest humanity, and when/if they ever add in a system that gives new skins/abilites/classes/whatever that is dependent on humanity, I will be one of the few that has it.

deadbolt, let me quote myself:

"...if someone says "for fun" I don't see how picking off a defensless target with a Makarov and two bean cans is fun or challenging"

Care to elaborate on this subject?

The problem I have with it is that during prime hours, you might spend an hour or two just connecting. You play for 30 seconds, someone shoots you at spawn.

Last night, I logged off in frustration because of such an incident. Shrug. I know no one will care what one person thinks, but it still sucks that this happens, considering the state of the game.

WE're willing to acknowledge that it's a beta and that the add-on is free... and it's great! But when you still need to get your group together, and they just keep getting killed at spawn.... bleh...

L

Yeah, see, that doesn't work, to0t. I don't mind if a bandit gets a legit jump on me out wherever, be it the woods, city, or as I clear a building and secure it.

What I do mind, and what I can safely speak for a lot of people also minding, is people sitting in a hard-to-reach place right next to a known spawn zone(I've spawned in the coastal area three out of the five or so times I've tried to play the game) and shooting people that might not even know a whole lot about how the game works. Would you prefer to log into an MMO, in a starting zone, and have some level 50 master of stabbing everything run up, cut you down, and log you out, forcing you to log back in just so they can do it again?

Didn't think so.

deadbolt' date=' let me quote myself:

"...if someone says "for fun" I don't see how picking off a defensless target with a Makarov and two bean cans is fun or challenging"

Care to elaborate on this subject?

well thats easy, people have fun in different ways

some people have fun riding rollercoasters, some people have fun playing chess

people have fun in different ways

because they probably had it done to them when they were noobs, and are now exacting their revenge

or just for the lulz

Being a bandit, everyone shoots you so I shoot people I see on the beach before they shoot me. I usually get a net gain of 2-3 makarov mags, beans and painkillers to boot. This is only when I spawn though; I don't camp out on the beach with good gear killing noobies who spawn for no reason.

1: That makes two trolls using memes in this thread' date=' when people are trying to have a serious discussion about this subject.

2: deadbolt, you seem to be taking this from a "real-life" perspective, and not a gaming perspective. It's confusing, because you're completely ignoring the legitimate reasoning behind being bothered that there's no downside to just sitting in a crane or on a building sniping people as they spawn, and instead doing what I'm pretty sure amounts to accusing me of having a complex of sorts.

[/quote']

how does the intentions behind your murder affect you?

Because people are retarded. Don't try & rationalise the why - it will only frustrate you. But yea I've had enough of bandits too and the next chance I get I'm unloading a full clip into a bandits back.

I can always use more beans or bandages.

Get away from the coast.

This mod brings out the best and worst in people, that's why people are flocking to it. Some people are going to just shoot you because they can.

Not all human beings are naturally nice. They are nice because they have to be in society.

The point of this mod is simulate the loss of society. You can function in many different roles. One of those roles is preying on the weak for no reason. It happens all the time in the real world.

Ban it? Hell no. But I can't say I'd want to be friends with the players that are doing it.

Is bad for the mod, of course.

Do I care, no. I'm inland with good gear, friends, a UAZ and uptil a recent bug a chopper. Run inland as soon as possible and live to kill.

Alright, I'm just not even going to entertain whatever mind-game you're playing, deadbolt. As for "people have fun in different ways," any respectable community will not tolerate spawncamping, under any circumstances.

Many FPS servers will permaban people for this, literally every MMO that's still around has some system or other, sometimes more than one, in-place to keep it from happening, and you know why? So jackasses that get their jollies from trolling others like that don't get that satisfaction, and so new players don't just give up and do something else after being camped for the third time in a row.

I have nothing against the common bandits that fills this game. They are a vital part for the games atmosphere. What I hate it the trolls that sets themselves up in cherno/elektro or up on the hills looking down at the beach spawnpoints and just kill people for the sake of killing people. Then when they get spotted and shot back at, they just log off and join another server.

What respawning in Dayz feels like :P

I give people the 10 second rule on the coast, announce you're friendly or you're dead. Simple as that. I've been shot by too many survivors to trust people anymore, it is only a select few who are usually chatting on side for awhile, or people in a position of power over me that I will group up with.

This isn't your normal MMO or FPS. This is ArmA, adapt or fail.

If you hop into an insurgency server and I'm camping 100m outside of your spawn with IEDs strung all over the place, are you going to cry because I blow you up over and over?

1: That makes two trolls using memes in this thread' date=' when people are trying to have a serious discussion about this subject.

[/quote']

how does the intentions behind your murder affect you?

Because the intention affects the gameplay. Yes, you die either way. However, there would be less frustration in the game if people weren't spawnkilling, as this is viewed as unfair and breaks gameplay experience that most people play the game to get. The net effect of spawnkilling, as opposed to playing through the game and killing people you randomly come upon, or hunting people for loot, is a bunch of people that are pissed and do not want to play because they can not play beyond 2 seconds from spawning, and one 15 year old troll ejaculating in his pants. Do the math.

What Saz said. Random bandits going around killing people is fine; they're bandits, and usually get shot on sight anyway. We're talking about people sitting in the harbor area, shooting people RIGHT AFTER THEY SPAWN. That has nothing to do with people only being nice because society makes them. It has a lot to do with people trying to make the game hard to enjoy for everyone except themselves.

Besides that, just because the mod is a zombie survival sim doesn't mean common decency shouldn't be enforced by the administration team. Sure, there are jackasses in every bunch, and the lack of real consequences makes people act horrible, but you know what else happens in real-life? People get kidnapped, tortured, raped, humiliated in public places, and it happens for reasons ranging from gender, race, orientation, and sometimes because a few people in this world are just batshit insane.

By the logic of some of the people in favor of camping on the coast, that should totally be allowed in this game too, because it's realistic, and people are horrible in real-life. Make sure to tell BI that in your next email, guys. I'm sure they'll really love DayZ then.

Edit: Ohhh, my rep is going to suffer from this thread. Fine by me; I'd rather be unpopular and express my opinion than loved because I don't speak up.

Leaderboards are to blame, imo.

Is there wasn't a stat with how many times you've murdered someone for the world to see, it may cut it down.

Leaderboards are to blame' date=' imo.

Is there wasn't a stat with how many times you've murdered someone for the world to see, it may cut it down.

[/quote']

Maybe some. There will still be people spawnkilling because they can, thats just he way it works. Without a game mechanic that prevents this, there will be people that do this forever.

What Saz said. Random bandits going around killing people is fine; they're bandits' date=' and usually get shot on sight anyway. We're talking about people sitting in the harbor area, shooting people RIGHT AFTER THEY SPAWN. That has nothing to do with people only being nice because society makes them. It has a lot to do with people trying to make the game hard to enjoy for everyone except themselves.

Besides that, just because the mod is a zombie survival sim doesn't mean common decency shouldn't be enforced by the administration team. Sure, there are jackasses in every bunch, and the lack of real consequences makes people act horrible, but you know what else happens in real-life? People get kidnapped, tortured, raped, humiliated in public places, and it happens for reasons ranging from gender, race, orientation, and sometimes because a few people in this world are just batshit insane.

By the logic of some of the people in favor of camping on the coast, that should totally be allowed in this game too, because it's realistic, and people are horrible in real-life. Make sure to tell BI that in your next email, guys. I'm sure they'll really love DayZ then.

[/quote']

Quit whining so much. Stop playing the game if you don't like it. We won't miss you.