munchy

The PvP Discussion Thread

So basically people see DayZ as BF3 with zombies. Awesome!

The game could use more options to try and create things, instead of just being about ganking players (which is fun, but gets boring) and then restocking yourself when you die (which doesn't take long assuming you run with a group, we have transport pretty much every day anyway).

Fortifying a store/town/city with barricades and gas generators could be fun. Adding things to vehicles like armor plating, etc.

So much potential for long lasting gameplay that doesn't consist of "spawn, call for pickup, go to airfield/stary, get gear, gank, die, repeat".

Without the slaughter at the beach, random pointless killings, based on misunderstandings, mutual paranoia, greed and crossfire, the zombie apocalypse would be a civilized ordeal. I try my best not to kill players, but I respect those who betray, camp and snipe, because they add the element that makes DayZ an unique and unpredictable experience.

You can't hold it against campers, that they chose locations where there are most targets.

Oh my god he killed me' date=' a harmless, hard-working, survivor! Ban him!

Get over yourselves! It is a ruthless game with a lot of ruthless peole playing it. If you can't handle it don't play it or find a way to make your situation better by yourself and not crying for a ban everytime something displeases you...

[/quote']

You sir are missing the point. The banning was a side note consequence stated by maybe two people.

I think the real problem is the affect on the community and on the player base as well as aspiring players. No one wants to play a game in which you are consistently killed for no gain or particular reason. It pulls away from the essence of the game and makes it not fun to play. I dont think its necessarily the devs job to regulate this but it is definately an issue and the reasonable community should shun the players that do these things and kill them.

tell me, why does it matter to you if i kill you for fun or if i kill you for supplies... either way you are dead

so how does one way "pull away from the essence of the game"??

i was playing earlier and somone said

" YOU WILL BE BANNED"

" YOU CANT JUST SHOOT SOMEONE WITHOUT PROVOCATION"

made me lol

There is no answer for camping the coast other than this: Call of Duty noobs. Spawncamping with a sniper rifle is the quintessential game exploit of every CoD faggot out there. There is no realism involved in the slightest, as no bandit, given the situation, would know where players were spawning from. In any "realism" situation, a bandit would not be camping out on a tower waiting for players to show up just on a whim.

It's not real, it's being a prick, plain and simple. It's a total perversion of PvP and survival. Bandit patrolling the road on the coast, THAT would make sense, but not hiding on a tower and waiting for players to teleport in. Bandits that camp the coast because they think it's funny should go die in a hole, as they do nothing but make DayZ look bad. Anyone that thinks it's realistic obviously loves camping themselves.

Plainly put, Rocket's got to get his act together and figure out what to do about the spawncamping exploit, because soon that's all the game will be about. All these cool stories are about before the mass popularity, but now we have LOTS of assholes to deal with.

all that needs to be done is to possibly add more spawns, if u get spawn killed just respawn and try to run for the forest, unlikely to spawn in the same place multiple times

all that needs to be done is to possibly add more spawns' date=' if u get spawn killed just respawn and try to run for the forest, unlikely to spawn in the same place multiple times

[/quote']

I thought the entirety of the coastline was one giant spawnpoint? As it stands, a bandit with a CZ and NVG can cover about what, 800m circle? So more spawns would work against single campers, but not a whole lot of them (which is inevitable at this rate)

all that needs to be done is to possibly add more spawns' date=' if u get spawn killed just respawn and try to run for the forest, unlikely to spawn in the same place multiple times

[/quote']

I thought the entirety of the coastline was one giant spawnpoint? As it stands, a bandit with a CZ and NVG can cover about what, 800m circle? So more spawns would work against single campers, but not a whole lot of them (which is inevitable at this rate)

havent been at the spawn for a couple days, but i have never seen this problem nor heard of it in chat

" YOU WILL BE BANNED"

made me lol

Lmao was it an american regular server? if so i was there when he said it, i nearly said something but just kept running instead

" YOU WILL BE BANNED"

made me lol

Lmao was it an american regular server? if so i was there when he said it' date=' i nearly said something but just kept running instead

[/quote']

yep was Chicago 7

[/quote']

havent been at the spawn for a couple days, but i have never seen this problem nor heard of it in chat

It's bad for me, but the experience bell curve is at play. You're likely playing on a different server, spawning in a different place.

On the server I was playing, I died at least twice last night before fully loading in. I was dead before I could take my first step.

The greatest boon to DayZ is also its biggest downfall: Players.

PvP is only PvP as long as a semblance of meaning is held behind it. As soon as players begin killing because it is A) Just a game, or B) Free-For-All Deathmatch, DayZ loses the spirit that makes it so unique. The free and open PvP comes at the cost of us being reminded that it's just a mod for a game that was based around a restricted attempt at realistic combat. It's a lose-lose situation, as without rules it really is a fancy America's Army 2 Free For All with zombies, yet to add rules will ruin the freedom and essence of DayZ.

The only way for DayZ to stay an immersive survival game is to prohibit killing for fun or killing without a decent reason, which is both impossible and sounds like a dumb idea anyways.

Wow, so many insults thrown around in the past few pages. Really making the community look good, you guys.

"Stop whining"

"Stop playing"

"care-bear"(Which I suspect is a language filter in the forum's database, probably for some sort of derogatory term)

"Adapt or die"

"STFU"

You know, more people should see this thread, so they know what kind of people seem to be in a majority in this community. Maybe /that/ would get Rocket to take a harder stance on RDMing and spawncamping. Then again, if he's cursing people out over suggestions, maybe not. This kind of crap is why I don't even load this mod up, haven't since a couple days ago. The influx of new users has created a sub-group of a particularly nasty sort, and the "hardcore" ARMA elitists are jumping on the bandwagon because they want the server slots open for themselves, and they hate newcomers.

Merging with the rest of the PVP circus. You guys have fun now, you hear?

Wow' date=' so many insults thrown around in the past few pages. Really making the community look good, you guys.

"Stop whining"

"Stop playing"

"care-bear"(Which I suspect is a language filter in the forum's database, probably for some sort of derogatory term)

"Adapt or die"

"STFU"

You know, more people should see this thread, so they know what kind of people seem to be in a majority in this community. Maybe /that/ would get Rocket to take a harder stance on RDMing and spawncamping. Then again, if he's cursing people out over suggestions, maybe not. This kind of crap is why I don't even load this mod up, haven't since a couple days ago. The influx of new users has created a sub-group of a particularly nasty sort, and the "hardcore" ARMA elitists are jumping on the bandwagon because they want the server slots open for themselves, and they hate newcomers.

[/quote']

what so bad about rdm?

I read these threads every time the pop up (and we already have a PvP thread at the top of the page) and am baffled. I've been alive for something like 24 hours. I have 1300 or so zombie kills, I have a lot of good gear and I highly value my life.

And guess what? The better gear and more kills I have, the more I value my life. And guess what? I don't die, because I take more and more precautions. In fact, in this entire characters life, I've only been attacked once and managed to fend off that attacker because of his inexperience. I haven't once been sniped or gunned down.

Now, I don't say this to big myself up, blow my own horn etc, I say it because it's proof that you can survive a very long time, very successfully without other player interference - UNLESS YOU SEEK THAT. This is the thing - all the anger is directed at CZ snipers on the coast. What you want to "fix" is a problem caused by your own actions, or inactions, as opposed to the bandits style of play. There is no surprise that bandits are there to kill players. They know there are retards who endlessly spawn and run along the shoreline for them to kill. The problem I have with this type of thread, however, is that what you want to "fix" will have far reaching consequences for all PvP in the entire map, and also on the coast. It also highlights a lack of responsibility.

WHY do you think the coast should be safe? Every single thing about it makes it a PvP dangerzone and a nightmare. WHY should you be able to happily roam around the coast and be completely safe? What gives you that right? Why do you deserve that right? Taking it further, why the hell would you want to roam around the coast? It has long been clear right from the start of this game that the coast is the most dangerous place in the game (along with NWAF and Stary). It's fantastic - the game devs didn't actively decide to make it a dangerzone, it evolved like that based on the internal logic of the gamescape, which is dictated by player actions. This is fantastic, natural evolution of lore within a game. You don't need an NPC to say some contrived shit like "the coast is a dangerous place". All you need to do is read the forums or discover from other players in the game, or from experience that "the coast is dangerous as shit".

Let me make this clear. There are many ways of escaping the coast and living for a very long time (zombies permitting). The coast is the most dangerous place in the game as it contains the sociopathic "xbox" players of DayZ, as well as easy loot (Chern and Elektro being within a km of most spawns) as well as it being a flat, narrow corridor that can be seen from high ground all the way along.

The style of play that needs to change is YOUR style of play. Chern and Elektro aren't the essential capital cities of the game. You do not need to be there. It is not a question of someone camping your "quest giver" or some incredibly important, compulsory step to the next stage of the game.

And guess what, if you have just spawned on the coast, and you die, you get to respawn. And guess what? You will respawn with the same shit you always do, pretty much meaning that you have lost nothing but time.

So please, go north. The sociopathic retard bandits can sit in the capital cities or on the shorelines, and they'll occasionally get a kill, but if you spawn and run directly north as soon as your feet hit the sand of the beach, you're not going to die nearly as quickly.

In any case, complaining about bandits on the shoreline or around Chern or Elektro really reminds me of this:

Quite a bit, but I'm too tired at the moment to get into this again. Really don't feel like being dogpiled with insults and "orders" to stop playing the mod.

Quite a bit' date=' but I'm too tired at the moment to get into this again. Really don't feel like being dogpiled with insults and "orders" to stop playing the mod.

[/quote']

honestly, it seems like you just dont like the pvp aspect of this, and i know everyone has been telling you not to play.. but really if you dont like the pvp you should just not play this game

I' date=' like many of us, try to avoid PvP confrontations at all costs. I understand and appreciate why PvP exist. I just have much higher priorities.

I began playing this game purely because DayZ's all about 'survival'. In my understanding, that's all about staying alive and away from the undead hordes and doing whatever's possible to remain out of danger. This is a game where a player's entire progress can be completely erased by a single zombie or a single bullet; I therefore prefer not having to restart my character every couple of hours, particularly because of hunters killing purely 'for sport'. I prefer to survive.

Sure, I'm fine with the PvP mechanic - it adds a lot to the atmosphere with its stress-inducing paranoia levels. I'm never going to ask the developers to remove it.

But that doesn't mean I'll ever respect Hunters. As a Hunter, you're erasing a player's entire progress (hours, days, weeks) in one blow - for your own selfish wants and needs. In a post-apocalyptic situation which tests the very foundations of humanity, here are people who give no regard for others (or the time/effort they've put into their characters) and are prepared to take it all away all for the sake of 'scoring a kill'. Bored of shooting the braindead zombies, they simply feel an urge to fuck real players over.

If you want to kill people, I won't protest against your ability to do so - that's just a part of the game. But if you're prepared to kill humans and screw them over (especially when it's just 'for sport'), don't get annoyed when everyone outs you as a total 'I don't give a crap about anyone else but myself' player-killing douchebag and no-one wants to play with you either.

[/quote']

This guy sums it up very simple. Im not saying take out pvp. Im saying make less "punishable" on those who get PVP'ed like this....

If (player is killed by %2) then {player respawn with all items for next remaining life };

basically saying. those who are killed by others should at least get a second/third chance with some or all their items. I know that is intensely a lot to ask for in the vicious world of pvp but there actually many games that follow a standard like this.

of course it would be nice to play on servers that had different parameters that would allow this or just one life or invincible timer or sever penalties, so on and so on SO that this mod would be appealing to a range audience of players.

Then again its still in beta. We shall see.

"If (player is killed by %2) then {player respawn with all items for next remaining life };"

"there actually many games that follow a standard like this."

This is exactly why it shouldn't be a standard in dayz. This isnt a game for casuals.

I play solo all the time and have been trying to get the bandit skin just because having jeans and a cap isnt exactly "camo" now is it? (although my last 3 kills were all bandits which puts me at 5k humanity -.-)

If someone shot at you, it is because YOU fucked up, if they shot you, they could see you or hear you, If they stalked you that means you wern't looking around enough to check for them and it is YOUR fault you died.

Now, you are dead, you have ceased to live. you are an ex-living human and you cannot have your beloved beans. When you respawn you are a NEW PERSON and should not have his items, the old person is dead and you should deal with it.

Plus this could be abused so much with high end gear it would be just stupid.

I have spawned at Khamenka in the SW corner, Berezino on the NE side, and everywhere along the coast in between. I find it hard to believe spawn camping is such an issue that it needs to be handled by the devs. Mountains of molehills, folks. Seriously, all this complaining is misdirected. You should be talking to server admins while you're in game who can do something about this. It's quite easy for them to spawn as a gull and freelook for abusers and kick/ban them. I'm even willing to bet most would do so. No one likes a griefer.

However, I would like to thank the spawn killers, the RDMers, and the people like me who will respawn several times to land in a favorable location. Bodies along the coast provide me with the extra food and water I need to get inland. Furthermore, I would like to thank the campers in Cherno and Elektro for sniping other players and making it that much easier for me to find the gear they have already picked up around town. Creeping in and looting one body for a Winchester, revolver, and blood is much easier and faster than creeping all around town to find the same. In the dozen or so times I have crept around the two big cities, stealth has outweighed bad luck on the scales of PVP.

I've spawned in the coastal area three out of the five or so times I've tried to play the game

I finally understand your problem, Metal. You gave up.

"Adapt & Overcome"..., Really is very good advice.

For example, if you dispise spawn camping pukes, make it your mission to kill the bastards.

If you don't want to lose your gear to a bandit, don't walk into his gun sight.

If you lose your gear to a bandit, spawn back in, go back to the area, find'em. kill'em, and take your gear back.

This is Arma. The only rule worth remembering is: "Don't be a victim."

Agh dammit, my thread got merged with this because of some idiot who kept insisting on talking about PvP. Oh well.

Anywho - PvP is not THE problem. THE problem is people's mentality - they simply kill just to kill, hell, they don't gain anything, they even loose ammunition. As I've stated in my first post in the original thread I got killed after helping two dudes fend off a mob of zombies. Why? Or I got killed by a retarded bandit when I had literally nothing on me beside two bean cans and a Makarov. He didn't even bother to check my body people who saw it said. THAT'S what enrages me the most - knowing that there's an idiot whose only purpose is to ruin someone else's game and knowing that when I actually had some good equipment it'll be wasted because that idiot who just killed me won't even bother checking it out. It makes no sense and it really pisses me off.

To everyone advocating that PvP be removed, nerfed, or otherwise altered to be less widespread or effective. What do you feel you are entitled to, and why?