Slamz

THE Night is TOO DAMN DARK Thread. Others will be deleted etc.

Say what you want, BUT: If a zombie punches me in my face and I CANT SEE HIM - there is something wrong. If the moon is out or not - I cant see anything. Gamma correction does nearly nothing for me. It IS to damn dark. If someone says it is not - he should turn his gamma DOWN.

This darkness is not realistic at all. There is a thing called the moon and stars that give off enough light to at least see stuff moving.

you only make a game realistic to the point that it's still good and functional

when I'm forced to play in pitch black darkness I just DC. It's another case of a game trying so hard to be realistic it's neither playable nor actually realistic in the first place

Agreed it is too dark!

I'm all for realism but the darkness could do with toning up a bit, iv'e just come back from camping on Dartmoor (UK) in the middle of nowhere and in a prehistoric forest, even at the darkest point of the night and remember it's summertime so the night's are lighter, you can pretty much see what's going on around you within 20 to 30ft maybe more.

I stood in the middle of a field in DayZ last night and could not see a thing unless i looked up, it was literally pitch black, all it needs is a slight raise in the darkness light levels, nothing major just a tad!

Interesting video here,

As a newb player gotta say the nite time is a right pain in the hole, im all for the brilliantly realistic route this game is going down but it shouldnt be at the expense of gameplay or have your char already equiped with NVG's that way we can at least see, as it is the nite time is pointless to all but the very hardcore or those with NVG's, for the rest of us its spawn in.. nite time.. spawn out rinse repeat until we find daylight servers..

as this is my first post (im slapping myself for it being a fucking moan tbh) i just wanna say awesome fucking game

the problem is that if you don't make it completely 0/0/0 pitch black, it's easy to use gamma/brightness correction (through the in-game settings or not) to make everything easily visible

What are the DEVs going to do in the end?

1. The nights are too damn dark - unrealistically dark "I can't see my hard or barrel in front of my face and the night sky barely gives me some outline detail".

2. The DEVs don't like people adjusting their gamma to fix this foul-up -> so they went and they actually spent ARMA development time and money on "fixing" it and then they got so excited that they they twatted about it with the release of ARMA 2: OA beta build 93825 "...another exploit bitten the dust..."

3. So night time servers (the ones who are too damn dark) are for NVG players only? I mean no-one else can play on them and people without NVGs can't bloody find a barn door if it's in front of them let alone loot numerous spots in order to find ... NVGs?

4. ? the adventure continues

If a zombie punches me in my face and I CANT SEE HIM - there is something wrong.

Yes, there is something wrong. You aren't using any of the many available light sources to see the zombie punching you.

Fact:

1. Users avoid night time server, to the point of even playing overseas.

2. Users adjust gamma and brightness in game, and using third part tools like Card settings.

Takeaway:

Night its to dam dark, and nearly unplayable. Needs to be addressed.

2. The DEVs don't like people adjusting their gamma to fix this foul-up -> so they went and they actually spent ARMA development time and money on "fixing" it and then they got so excited that they they twatted about it with the release of ARMA 2: OA beta build 93825 "...another exploit bitten the dust..."

Umm no, the dynamic lighting being borked was caused back in beta 93666. I think that comment about the exploit being fixed actually has to do with a cheat exploit being fixed.

On another note, before nighttime lighting was broken, night servers usually had at least 10-20 people in it. Now there's only 4 or 5 it seems.

In a world where Night is Day and Day is Night.

... It's called Night for a reason. But I somewhat agree.

Makes sense, though. Turn your lights off, might help.

Night is dark but I think it is completely fine the way it is. Use a flashlight or flares. I've had no problems.

The game' date=' it's too dark.* I have a day job and kids. The ONLY time I can play this game (even on weekends) is, at the earliest, after 9pm. The simple fact is that with a new character without nvg and after the beta patch, the game is unplayable. That really is all there is to it.

[/quote']

Fuck your job and your kids. You're not hardcore enough for DayZ. Cry some more, loser with an actual life. GG. Kthxbye.

Fuck your job and your kids. You're not hardcore enough for DayZ. Cry some more' date=' loser with an actual life. GG. Kthxbye.

[/quote']

What the fuck is wrong with you.

You think this kind of night, where I can't even make out zombies IN FUCKING FRONT OF ME, munching my testicles, then sorry but there's something wrong. Night is usually dark, but I can at least make out shadows. Right now if I don't see the horizontal line or any kind of lightsource, I can't make out ANYTHING.

I am happy that the "exploit" was fixed. But I would only agree to it if the night was at least partially visible. Right now people without any kind of lightsource can't make out anything.

If nights were any brighter gammasploiters would go blind or get sunburnt.

Fuck your job and your kids. You're not hardcore enough for DayZ. Cry some more' date=' loser with an actual life. GG. Kthxbye.

[/quote']

What the fuck is wrong with you.

You think this kind of night, where I can't even make out zombies IN FUCKING FRONT OF ME, munching my testicles, then sorry but there's something wrong. Night is usually dark, but I can at least make out shadows. Right now if I don't see the horizontal line or any kind of lightsource, I can't make out ANYTHING.

I am happy that the "exploit" was fixed. But I would only agree to it if the night was at least partially visible. Right now people without any kind of lightsource can't make out anything.

He was being sarcastic...

But I really don't want them to change it, I like having realistic length night and days and having a truly dark night.

I think what should happen is that each hosting country has a number of inverted servers, that are day at night.

That way people who have jobs and a life can play but we don't have to ruin the realism.

Also NVGs should be less rare, night fights in the town similar to the first Arma II campaign mission I'm all for.

The Darkness in ArmA 2 was set for a single reason: To make NVG work extremely well. It was done for effect. Nothing more. ArmA 2 gave you NVG every time it was dark, every time. Otherwise, it's impossible to play. PERIOD.

The darkness is totally unrealistic in ArmA2, and anyone who tries to say otherwise is smoking crack. I grew up in the middle of nowhere on a farm, the only lights came from the house, the moon, and the stars. Even when the moon was completely covered or not there, you could see everything. In ArmA2, if its dark, you can't see your hand in front of your face.

It's unrealistic....for another reason. IN GAME YOUR EYES DO NOT ADJUST.

For that simple reason it needs to be brighter. Forget all the noobs that want to get NVG and camp people at night. People will not play if they cannot see.

People shouldn't be forced to server hop to find a day time server because the one they pay or play on is pitch black.

Sigh, the darkness in the beta patch is retarded.

If you want a hardcore experience, turn your brightness all the way down, even in the day. Then you can be as 1337 ub3r hardc0r3 as you fucking want. Turn your monitor off, then you can be SUPER hardcore.

If you want a realistic experience, or at least a suspension of disbelief which I believe this game was going for, make the highest (well, slightly below, around 75%) gamma/brightness before the patch the DEFAULT brightness on night servers. Because that's actually what night is more like. ANYONE who grew up in the country knows this. It's not some retarded affair where it's just pitch black without artificial lighting.

INB4 hardcorewhiners, my current life is on 17 days with 260 zed kills, and I can deal with the darkness just fine, I'd just prefer not have unrealistic changes take over under the pretense of "realism".

I can agree with flares and chemsticks, etc seemingly giving off less light than they should at the moment. But to be honest I have to admit that the pitch black hours are the ones I love the most. Especially when I am lurking around Cherno/Elektro at night with my trusty flashlight. In fact I often server hop to get to play during nighttime, and I'm a survivor/scavenger, not a bandit with NVGs and an unstoppable bloodlust.

If nights were any brighter gammasploiters would go blind or get sunburnt.

Gamma exploit no longer works after one of the newer beta patches. And it won't work for anyone once 1.7.1 is released as it requires the beta.

The night is unrealistically dark. I am all for it being hard to see, and after 1.7.1 with everyone being on a level playing field brightness and gamma wise, it should not be hard to make the night dark, but not TOO dark. Greyish vision out to ~20 meters would be sufficient to make the game playable at night while still giving NVGs, Flashlights, Chemlights, and Flares a reason to exist.

Not being able to see your hand in front of your face is not how darkness works irl.

its actually still way to bright at night.. i mean we want it uber realistic, right? like the faar side of the moon?

because when its dark.. and i press g i can actually see my inventory..i mean come one that completly unrealistic.. if i cant see my hands how come the inventory does not change to a pure black texture..

i mean trying to bandage yourself in the dark because of invisible (to your murky eyes) zeds attacking you and fiddling around in the blacked out inventory to use an item only to hear a zishhhh, gulp, gulp, gulp.. would be ace.. and so realistic..

and dont forget the big amount of cash you can save playing in the dark.. i mean you can just switch off your monitor because it makes no difference (and make it temp. more realistic because you cant see the gui taht way.. yeah!) but you save some money..

and of course at night zeds should only go aggro if you bump directly into them.. because they should not be able to see you either..

then of course we need colission impact damage.. if a player dares to run around he should start bleeding or break his bones when he hits a tree or a wall.. how unrealisitc to run for a minute against an object without noticing it..

and what would be the cherry on top , if the chr starts swearing after such an dmg.. some random samples played back..

and since im already writing a wall.. how about (since you eat 95% beans) can actualy light up your farts.. or play random fart sound some time after eating beans..

i mean stories like "i aggroed some zeds in total darkness because i let one out" would be hilarious..

depending on gas amount you could get an enfiels like aggro radius... brrrrttttt.. oh fuck not again.... zeds...!!!!

anyway.. the night is not yet dark enough and way too unrealistic.. and even nvg should be useless because if there is not the slightes amount of ambient light they cant amplify anything... so darkness for everyone either in black or green :)

yay! :heart: