Slamz

THE Night is TOO DAMN DARK Thread. Others will be deleted etc.

If it was only possible to at least see outlines of stuff. As it is now it's literally impossible to see anything unless you use flares (or if you can for some reason put them between yourself and the sky which is highly unlikely to happen) which will pull all bandits within a 1 km radius around you. There's no "creeping" around unless you have nvgs in which case it's basically day time for you.

I think we can all agree that pitch black is unrealistic (unless it's like winter and it's snowing). But I would say that the most important part is the gameplay and would it ruin the game play if you could actually see something during the night? Maybe, that's not up to me to say but I personally think it could be a bit brighter, allow us to see shades at least so I can see if i'm running into a tree or not.

As I said before, "use flares" is a pathetic excuse. Flare light does not travel more than 10-15 meters since the recent patch, and you need them or else you may as well turn your monitor off. So let's review: Nighttime is made blackout for NVGs, or for people to use flares, which is nothing but a bandit horn.

Either way, that whole "not taking PvP sides" statement is quickly falling apart. If rocket doesn't put some kind of fix in, he's clearly favoring PvP "noob hunting" gameplay. Of course, I don't think he can because of how ArmA2 itself works, so he's stuck between a rock and a hard place. The night is just one of the many examples where there is no actual freedom in DayZ, because nighttime can give you maybe 30 minutes of playability IF you use all your flares. Even then, you're only a moving target for bandits.

If night isn't fixed, I see a lot of servers slipping in daytime only mods behind the scenes. It may require they run their own HIVE, but I'm sure they would do it to get a decent nighttime. The artificial darkness caters only to NVG users.

The reason that its perfectly black, is because if it was even slightly light, then anyone who wanted to could turn brightness and gamma way up, (as they try to now), and have a huge advantage over anyone playing fair. It's the only way to make it the same darkness for everyone, as far as I know

Your eyes do slightly adjust in game, when you put on or take of goggles and when you first appear on the server at night. Actually play at night a little longer and you'll probably notice it.

Any argument for "realism" is bogus. If you want realism, make eating a whole can of beans or pasta last longer than twenty minutes before you start getting hungry again. That's retarded.

The other night I played at night. The weather was clear and there was a partial moon out. Went into the woods and got lost. Popped a flare and it did not illuminate anything. There was a red glow but I still could not see the trees I was running into. I've used a flashlight before, too; it was completely useless for navigating at night. If the nighttime is going to be "realistic" make the light sources realistic, too.

If the nighttime is going to be "realistic" make the light sources realistic' date=' too.

[/quote']

Finally a decent argument. I concur!

Just played again. Was night time on my server. Gave up after 10 minutes of blundering around in the dark.

Look, I'm all for having the game be unforgiving, but this is honestly quite literally unplayable without night vision goggles. I understand it adds an element of danger to the game, but playing at night without NVG is basically a death sentence. The bandit groups on my server have actually come south and now camp the coast again, waiting for new players to throw their flares. And it's not like the new players have a choice either. It's either you throw a flare, or you can't see 10cm in front of you.

As it stands now, night time is broken and it needs to be fixed ASAP. As in, priority number 1. It's not even a question of being difficult playing at night, it's basically just that you simply can't.

There's a difference between balance and plain broken.

Nighttime doesn't need balance, it needs fixing. It's a part of ArmA2 that doesn't fit in the DayZ world, just like the blank wilderness and being able to instantly DC. The only way to play at night is with NVGs, as flares do not give any decent lighting. Seriously, the people who tell us to use flares obviously doesn't use it themselves. They honestly can't and say it's fine.

To those managing to play in the dark' date=' respect!

I sure don't see shit at night.

[/quote']

Well we don't either, but we don't quit either.

I FOUND THE FIX TO NIGHT TIME!!!

This video explains it.

So nighttime is only playable if you make it to the bandit camped airfield and get the 0.11% chance?

Sounds like catering to the bandits to me, whatever happened to that "not taking sides" bit?

I dont see the problem (no pun intended)

Just implement electricity or more light source items of convenience....

The way it was before, you could get GREYSCALE nightvision, with the Gamma/Brightness "exploit".

If people wanted, Rocket could add NVGs to civilian loot piles too. This alone would surely see them appear more in the game. Over time, very shortly, people would begin to see them more and more until it reached a certain balanced point where every odd person had one.

I still think its fine as it is. Yes its COMPLETELY dark.. But that is exactly what it is supposed to be like. It is EXACTLY the way it is meant to be. There is no problem. Log off, switch server, or survive...

I dont see the problem (no pun intended)

Just implement electricity or more light source items of convenience....

Who will run the powerplant, when 98% of the population either died from the infection or became zombie like maniacs and the last 2% are killing eachother over cold beans?

Hehe, well a generator attached to a power box of a building would be cool. Temporary lighting, light refuelling vehicles. Or maybe a Generator powers an area... Would be cool, useful and damn well atmospheric.

I do enjoy using flares and chemsticks to light my way through the night, I think it's adds a fun aspect to surviving. One time me and my friends were being completely surrounded by zeds and I just picked up a flare and yelled "follow me!"...we some how lived. :) So yes I do appreciated the darkness and the change in tactics that it requires...BUT

This is a PvP game people, a flare is nothing more than a big shoot me sign. EVERYONE in here that's just saying "deal with it" or "use nvg" are people that most likely play with an organized group and most certainly have a stockpile of nvg's. Please stop with the elitist attitude and consider a actual balance idea for once. Most ideas and comments in here that are being thrown around are going to keep those on top still on top. Of coarse you want us to just deal with it and use flares/wander in the dark, that way you can continue to dominate with you nvg and advanced weaponry.

What is the one problem with simply making nvg's spawn at more locations and more frequently?...hmmmm. More people would have them? Wow that would be horrible, you mean people would be able to play the other half of the day we usually have to switch servers? People could attempt to defend themselves from zeds and the bandit kill squads? Sounds game breaking to me, yep.

If you did that in Elektro lastnight i'm pretty sure I was watching you book it into the hills near the ass end of town lol.

Honestly I enjoy playing at night way more than in the daytime but there does seem to be an issue with NVGs spawning at a handful of choice locations that tend to be camped by bandits 100% of the time. An easy fix would be to take NVGs out and give us an extra stack of flares in our starting backpack because flares aren't what's broken, Night Vision is.

Personally, I love the idea of NVGs but an item that has absolutely no drawbacks and gives an infinitely higher tactical advantage over everyone without said item is completely broken. If we want to keep NVG in game why not just drop the visible area to about of that of a flare maybe a tiny bit less, this would easily balance out night vision as it would still give you a huge tactical advantage while playing at night but it wouldn't completely gimp every single player in the world who doesn't happen to own a pair.

Honestly? You could just make a semi rare flare type that doesn't light up for about five to six seconds, then people would stop whining cause you could throw a flare without observers instantly knowing the location of who threw it by watching the arc.