Slamz

THE Night is TOO DAMN DARK Thread. Others will be deleted etc.

I grew up in the country.

Nighttime is dark.

It's not this goddamn dark. Even on partly cloudy nights with a few stars out' date=' you can see the fucking ground and tell the sky from the dirt.

In this game, nighttime is absolutely pointless unless you have night vision goggles. Most of the "dark" servers are empty now except for a handful of noobs / night vision goggle owners. It's overcast most of the time, raining half the time, and you can't see shit.

I'm all for hardcore realism, but logging into a screen that's 100% fucking black is absolutely pointless even for the hardest of hardcore games. I would love to try the 24 hour cycle but it's totally pointless after dark. I have a hard time believing that the game creator spends much time playing this game at night.

[/quote']

1) brightness 1.5 gamma 2.0

2) ?????

3) PROFIT

Indeed - get a decent monitor. I have NEVER had issues seeing in the dark in DayZ. In fact I think it might be a bit too bright to simulate actual darkness.

It would be nice if there could be some way in the future to turn off the ability to turn gamma and HDR up.

I had my most fun at night when I was new to the game and trying to get back to my friend at Rog castle from the south western side of the map after a bandit killed me there but my friend killed him and survived. I didn't know about turning up gamma and hdr to see so whenever I saw an outline of a town or hear zombies I would lob a flare into the town and slowlly work my way around looting it. I spent like 3 hours doing this and the experience was incredibly atmospheric and scarey, I just love the look of the flares too.

Since I turned up Gamma and HDR it hasn't been the same but i figured everyone else is doing it so it would suck if someone could see me but I couldn't see them because they had their gamma/hdr up and shadows off giving them a massive advantage. I understand this game is about role playing so I could turn it back to normal and forget about what everyone else is doing but it would irk me that others have such an advantage.

So would it be possible for them to remove the Gamma/HDR adjuster in settings in a future patch? Or would it have to wait for a full release of the game as they can't remove basic settings from the main Arma 2 game.

It would be nice if there could be some way in the future to turn off the ability to turn gamma and HDR up.

*does it outside of the game*

Problem officer?

(In other words - no. Ain't going to happen)

That would be retarded to remove Gamma/HDR adjuster in settings in a future patch. I agree in pitch black mode, even with flares that hardly provide you with any light the game is unplayable. In real life unless you are in a cave, it is not even that pitch black. Your eyes adjust and you can see reasonably well. They need to make the dark go from pitch black to when you have the gamma and brightness turned all the way up. Also, you can still adjust the settings on your monitor as well. Yes, please nerf this in the next patch, so I can just kill idiots who can't see in the dark, because I will fix it with my monitor settings.

Yeah, night is too fraking dark. Today i tried to enter a supermarket but couldn't find the door.

When i am out stalking on a very dark night IRL i at least can see my surroundings within 5 meters.

Standing within a meter of a door and not beeing able to see it is ridiculous.

Yeah' date=' night is too fraking dark. Today i tried to enter a supermarket but couldn't find the door.

When i am out stalking on a very dark night IRL i at least can see my surroundings within 5 meters.

Standing within a meter of a door and not beeing able to see it is ridiculous.

[/quote']

Outside - Moonlit area.

Inside - Pitch black due to very limited or no lighting at all. Use a flare or chemlight genius.

I like the nights as they are.

DayZ gives you plenty of (pretty cool) tools to see at night:

Flares

Flashlights

Chem lights

The last on the list is the most safest to use, since it can only be spotted very close to you.

And that is the main problem. Nobody wants to use their tools, because they fear to get spotted and killed. If we could ensure that everyone has to live under the same visual conditions, then more would decide to use flares or the other tools to see. Then everyone would have to use them to travel around.

Flares

Flashlights

Chem lights

The last on the list is the most safest to use' date=' since it can only be spotted very close to you.

And that is the main problem. Nobody wants to use their tools, because they fear to get spotted and killed. If we could ensure that everyone has to live under the same visual conditions, then more would decide to use flares or the other tools to see. Then everyone would have to use them to travel around.

[/quote']

I agree with this, there are plenty of useful tools for navigating in darkness and I really wish everyone was under the same visual conditions then it would be much more immersive using those tools instead of everyone just having gamma/hdr up and shadows off. But I realise this is probably impossible to achieve. I think I'll just play with gamma/hdr not up when I'm soloing some nights.

Flares

Flashlights

Chem lights

The last on the list is the most safest to use' date=' since it can only be spotted very close to you.

[/quote']

I agree with this, there are plenty of useful tools for navigating in darkness and I really wish everyone was under the same visual conditions then it would be much more immersive using those tools instead of everyone just having gamma/hdr up and shadows off. But I realise this is probably impossible to achieve. I think I'll just play with gamma/hdr not up when I'm soloing some nights.

Could not agree more. It changes the tactical environment of the game. Wish all this was possible.

Outside - Moonlit area.

Inside - Pitch black due to very limited or no lighting at all. Use a flare or chemlight genius.

You are the omniscient genius here my friend:

1. Insides are not really darker in DayZ (are they even a bit darker, i don't think so).

2. I meant from the outside.

I have to wonder how you could have missed that.

You are the omniscient genius here my friend:

1. Insides are not really darker in DayZ (are they even a bit darker' date=' i don't think so).

2. I meant from the outside.

I have to wonder how you could have missed that.

[/quote']

And I imagine that all the people not being able to see anything at all (even the basic wall layout and doorways) inside large buildings are wrong? The outside is brighter due to the ambient light from the moon.

I have to wonder how you could have missed that (obvious fact).

1) brightness 1.5 gamma 2.0

2) ?????

3) PROFIT

Doesn't always work. Just got off a server where it was about 10PM, there was no moon, but clear night with stars. Couldn't even see my own feet or hands even when fiddling with the gamma.

I have a pistol with a flashlight on it, but the cone of light seems awefully narrow. Not a problem when outdoors, but trying to navigate a building is a nightmare because the light is so small. Doesn't help how you always hold your weapon at arms length.

At first I thought that night time was always horribly dark seeing as how for like the first few weeks I would play it was always pitch black, but then alot of servers had moonlit, cloudless stary night that you could even play without the whole gamma and brightness raising shenanigans. I'm wondering if the servers, apart from using the local time, use the local weather? Probably not, my guess is it's just random.

Moonlit nights are awesome and create a really fun atmosphere to play in. It would be nice if moonless nights even had 1/10 of the light of those. It's pretty silly to not even be able to make out your character without using the horizon. I'm fine with extremely low visibility, but not even being able to tell what is 5 feet in front of me makes me just want to just find a new server.

Just coming from a server with pitch black night. tried to navigate with Chemlight - no chance. i see 30cm around the feet of my char and thats it. Rest is BLACK.

Problem isn't the pitch black night, problem is some people bypass it maxing gamma and that ingame time isn't syncronized and that some servers dont perform scheduled reboots to sync nightfall.

Which means anyone playing the way the night is intended is at a severe disadvantage.

If I play night the way it is intended, I will walk against a tree and not notice it.

Ooohh yeah... Since the arma beta build 93666 the nights have been pitch black - at least for me, regardless of the gamma setting. And I like it. :D

Finally, there is some point for the flashlight. And flares. And all that crap.

Before that, they used to be preserved for noobs only and for those who were feeling suicidal for whatever reason and really wanted to get a bullet to their head.

Right now, since the beta you basically have to use them.. Just running around in the total darkness isn't much of an option. (Like it used to be with the old nights.)

I really hope that it has been implemented properly so that no-one can circumvent it anymore using maxed out gamma or such.

(Although, I'm sure bandits will have a blast sniping people from the darkness of the woods, now that all those other ppl have to make a target of themselves by using a flare, etc. So I guess there is a downside as well.) :P

Ooohh yeah... Since the arma beta build 93666 the nights have been pitch black - at least for me' date=' regardless of the gamma setting. And I like it. :D

Finally, there is some point for the flashlight. And flares. And all that crap.

Before that, they used to be preserved for noobs only and for those who were feeling suicidal for whatever reason and really wanted to get a bullet to their head.

Right now, since the beta you basically have to use them.. Just running around in the total darkness isn't much of an option. (Like it used to be with the old nights.)

I really hope that it has been implemented properly so that no-one can circumvent it anymore using maxed out gamma or such.

(Although, I'm sure bandits will have a blast sniping people from the darkness of the woods, now that all those other ppl have to make a target of themselves by using a flare, etc. So I guess there is a downside as well.) :P

[/quote']

There are only downsides. If you somehow perceive an upside to this 'mechanic', you must be looking through night vision goggles.

Try driving a bus during the night, in the rain, with a red engine. Good times.

Also: No lights on because who wants to advertise.

guys 2 questions:

-I installed the beta patch, suddenly gamma settings to see at night wont work anymore. So I play in complete darkness. Are there players who still can use gamme to see at night ?

-How do I activate the flashlight of a gun ? I have a G17 but no idea how to switch in on.

greets