Slamz

THE Night is TOO DAMN DARK Thread. Others will be deleted etc.

Here's a sort video I took using the following settings:

Gamma = max, brightness = max, HDR = very high

Darkness is no longer my friend.

Here's a sort video I took using the following settings:

Gamma = max' date=' brightness = max, HDR = very high

Darkness is no longer my friend.

[/quote']

And to FIX exploiters like you, there is also a beta patch... Try it... And when you have, come back in here, bud, share your thoughts ;)

This is bottom of the mineshaft dark :/

What's your hdr setting?

I played around with settings. Post beta patch, with HDR at Highest, you cant see your character/gun... HDR disabled, you get little better vision, not by a LOT but better.

Sucks that having higher settings puts you at major disadvantage

The solution is reverse time servers. That way you can play with light on a local server even if you can only play at night.

The solution is reverse time servers. That way you can play with light on a local server even if you can only play at night.

A game that forces you to avoid it when certain in-game conditions are in effect is a bad game.

in before "IT'S REALISTIC!" / "IT'S A SIMULATOR!". They are simply not applicable retorts at this point, seeing how unrealistic the game is already.

Exploit?

Have any of you defending the new darkness ever actually spent any time in the scrub in the middle of the night with absolutely nothing but the sky to guide your way?

Because if you had you will have noticed that your eyes adjust to the darkness. The stars provide enough light source to highlight your surrounding. Ie you can see.

Pitch black is not playable.

Not sure what your point is about the new beta patch, the patch is exactly what is causing the issue.

There needs to be visibility issues at night. . . but you cant play in absolute pitch black darkness.

You could allways make the light poles in citys / roadside actually work. That way even if its pitch black you can allways follow a road to a town.

Workers at the powerplant are dead or undead or busy shooting people at the beach for beans.

Yeah with the lighting currently broken, flares don't give off nearly as much light as they should / used to.

Problem is, it's even a bit too dark when the sky is still bright from dusk.

I'm in agreement that it is overly dark. i too live in country and night time is very dark but eyes adjust and can still make out details of a few things suck as the difference between grass and a road. it seems that any surface deemed as unlit in the game engine is just black ..... no consideration of the dynamics of light reflection i.e. grass blades. perhaps the very dark night should be the engine at it's lowest lit without forfeiting details and then just a black overlay to tone it down. Still Details just details that are hard to make out rather than plain IT NOT LIT SO IT'S BLACK lack of details

Why does the game have to be on a 24-hour daylight cycle anyways? Does it have to be *this* realistic? Especially when I get hungry again 20 minutes after eating a whole can of beans?

Some thoughts...

The game, it's too dark.* I have a day job and kids. The ONLY time I can play this game (even on weekends) is, at the earliest, after 9pm. The simple fact is that with a new character without nvg and after the beta patch, the game is unplayable. That really is all there is to it.

I'm all for stopping people using gamma to play more comfortable at night (in fact i'd say it was a must for this sort of game), but night play needs a solution. Now I'm not sure what the perfect solution is and things like having flipped servers means people can avoid night altogether so here's my idea...

Make the day night cycle 23 hours.

You still get the realism of NOT seeing a full day during play and people still can't hang around for 30 minutes until daytime like in other games. What it does mean, is the following:

10pm Monday IRL is 10pm

10pm Tuesday IRL is 9pm

10pm Wednesday IRL is 8pm. I can now start a new character!

etc etc

24 days later it's synced up again.

* As an aside, I was in Sardinia when there was a power cut on a cloudy night. I couldn't even see my hand in front of my face - and no, my eyes didn't adjust.

SpaceMidget:

Look for servers with an offset time (that say something like GMT-5 or 10 or whatever). Those may be daytime, depending on what the server says its time is offset.

Other than that: people aren't bothering to play on night servers now. They're empty because no one can see now.

Yeah, it sucks pretty hard now. Last night I was running through a field and seemed to be making no progress. I popped a flare and saw I had run into a fence (at some point) and had been running in place.

I'm pretty sure that, in reality, I'd have noticed I'd hit a fence.

Just like broken bones and morphine, I think we may have to sacrifice some realism for the sake of playability.

I cant seem to find a single moonless night.. makes my NVGs useless

Thank god my friend and i had g17s and M4A3, Jesus it was dark last night. Server went from 8 people to 4 when the sun went down. I like it except we are at that point where we are kitted out with guns, rations, could use a bit more meds, but really were set except for like a vehicle, and you cant find shit out in the dark :D.

I cant seem to find a single moonless night.. makes my NVGs useless

Need to find a time of night where the moon either hasn't come up yet or has already gone down...I played the other night it was 10PM and the moon wasn't up yet.

They already mentioned why changing it away from a 24hr cycle isn't feasible on this engine.

Must have missed that; gotta see why this is. Something else needs to be done.

Recently I've been with friends outside town and we had a bbq. When everything was over and we put out fire we couldn't see ourselves because it was damn dark. 2:00 AM, no moon, but stars and we were far away from city lights. Terrain was surrounded by trees. It reminded me a lot a DayZ after ArmA 2 beta patch. We had to use our cellphones lights to find our way out back to cars.

So dear survivors, when you spawn at night with flares - use them - problem solved. No more cheating with gamma glitch.

Other than that: people aren't bothering to play on night servers now. They're empty because no one can see now.

Yep you can pretty much tell which servers are nighttime by the number of players on them. Pretty much all servers with low players are nighttime.

I'd say the fact that almost every server is largely abandoned come night time says a lot about how fun most people find it. I think they ought to make it brighter or speed up the day/night cycle. Leave a "vanilla" option for those wanting to run servers with oldschool night mode, that way everybody wins.

I can see the appeal that putting on NVGs and gunning down survivors who have no chance of defending themselves might have to a lot of people, but it doesn't really make for good gameplay for one side of that equation.

From my experience hunting in rural areas miles away from other places in dense tree's similar to this - you would be lucky to see your hand in front of your face. Even on a star filled night. I think when the stars are out and the moon is up it should be a little brighter, but as it stands the darkness when its insanely cloudy could use a little lifting too. But in my opinion the darkness is just fine as it is.

It lets us night players move in peace.

From my experience hunting in rural areas miles away from other places in dense tree's similar to this - you would be lucky to see your hand in front of your face. Even on a star filled night. I think when the stars are out and the moon is up it should be a little brighter' date=' but as it stands the darkness when its insanely cloudy could use a little lifting too. But in my opinion the darkness is just fine as it is.

It lets us night players move in peace.

[/quote']

I agree it's realistic, but this is also a game which should strive to be fun and playable too. If they are going for pure realism you'd be immobile for weeks after breaking a bone, and morphine wouldn't fix it at all.