rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2.4

The weapon changes are pretty stupid, if anything they should do MORE damage, not less.

Yes, yes - it's BIS fault, but it still affects DayZ all the same.

ps. They HAVE to have changed the AKM too, because all of a sudden zombies take 2 bullets to the body (1 to the head).

it now takes 8-9 shots from a .45 to kill a player. seems a little off

All other opinions about the weapons nerf being realistic vs. "gamey," this seems to be simply true, to me. But, of course, this is sometimes the case - a person may die from a single handgun round, or they may be shot by a double digit figure and survive.

Since it's almost certainly impossible to simulate this properly (requiring ballistics, anatomy, etc), how would people feel about weapons doing a random amount of damage within a certain range? (This is pretty much how tabletop games like D&D work, now that I think about it, but it could be more controlled). So, instead of the 1911 doing 4500 or 1389 damage, it could do a random amount between 1000 and 3500, or whatever numbers please the court.

I think it goes against our FPS player instincts for certainty, but personally, I would welcome it as another level of realistic variability of the game. This isn't exactly a serious proposal, as I have no idea it it's workable, and it might be rather drastic, but I find the idea interesting.

• Like 6

Since it's almost certainly impossible to simulate this properly (requiring ballistics, anatomy, etc), how would people feel about weapons doing a random amount of damage within a certain range? (This is pretty much how tabletop games like D&D work, now that I think about it, but it could be more controlled). So, instead of the 1911 doing 4500 or 1389 damage, it could do a random amount between 1000 and 3500, or whatever numbers please the court.

I think it goes against our FPS player instincts for certainty, but personally, I would welcome it as another level of realistic variability of the game. This isn't exactly a serious proposal, as I have no idea it it's workable, and it might be rather drastic, but I find the idea interesting.

it would be a lot better to just have more complex hitbox's where different organs are located, kind of like in sniper elite v2 where it goes in slowmo and you can see the bullet hit the heart if it lands on the heart, if you hit the heart hitbox (if it was added to dayz) it should be like hitting a headshot, That would be a lot better than your random damage idea but this is a game after all so its always gonna just be limb,body,and head hitbox's a little disappointing.

Edited by cjj

Still in closed testing. We're being really careful guys.

• Like 10

Good. Better take you're time than rushing the update. :)

Thanks for the mod rocket, got me something to waste parts of my summer on. :P

Edited by Shazman

yeah...I would use it on you....please post forum suggestions where they belong....

if rocket were to add a ban button for "think to much of themselves". Only u would get a ban

you realize using different colours does not get you more attention. it gets you skipped

Herp derp care police inbound,

I see my myself as the pinnacle of all awesomeness,

You noticed my post thank you for your input,

Score.

Some nice changes rocket. Will be looking forward to the release.

Edited by Dez.
  • Like 1

so no release tonight ...hold off till next week if you have to get it right :)

As soon as I read the part about people taking anywhere from 1 to double digit rounds, I realized holy crap he's right.. then I started thinking about random chances while I was reading about anatomy and stuff. (I diid that in school too.. :P )

Anyway, gotta say I like the random damage idea.. not too much of a variance, that would just be silly. But I could definitely see a subtle difference being a really interesting feature.. It would be even cooler if we could have heart, lungs, kidneys etc.. but then bandits would just gutshoot people and watch them bleed out. D:

Anyway, you should refine the idea and post it in the suggestion forum, if it hasn't already been suggested. (didn't search.. yet.)

I'll support it. :)

Edit: thanks for the update, Rocket. Take as long as you need.. we'll still be here. ;)

ps. you should read the recent talk about weapons damage, if you have time.. some interesting ideas are starting to develop. :)

Edited by Cyanyde

Herp derp care police inbound,

You noticed my post,

Score.

It's like dogshit, right? You make sure to notice it so you can avoid it, but you won't remember it later on.

• Like 6

All other opinions about the weapons nerf being realistic vs. "gamey," this seems to be simply true, to me. But, of course, this is sometimes the case - a person may die from a single handgun round, or they may be shot by a double digit figure and survive.

maybe with a 22. but a 45, point blank, right into your chest?

the other thing that's missing is the stopping power. you're shooting a zed at point blank range, and he's still hitting you like nothing happened. they should at least be knocked back or stunned for a moment. but I'm not sure how easy it would be to work those mechanics into the game

Edited by daze23

Wow, are u kidding me with this Weapon nerf? DayZ is like LOL they make skin so people will pay and after few days they nerf it to the ground, DayZ well done ur learning from them;) im so not goin to buy this game on standalone... gj on breaking awesome game

The War Z hope it will be normal and REALISTIC

Rocket hurry and release this! I want to hunt some heli's!

@uranos.. you do know the nerf was a arma patch.. it was in no way associated to dayz... >.>

Edited by pietjan12
  • Like 1

It's like dogshit, right? You make sure to notice it so you can avoid it, but you won't remember it later on.

I like it! You have my beans Sir!

Wow, are u kidding me with this Weapon nerf? DayZ is like LOL they make skin so people will pay and after few days they nerf it to the ground, DayZ well done ur learning from them;) im so not goin to buy this game on standalone... gj on breaking awesome game

The War Z hope it will be normal and REALISTIC

I hope you realise WarZ is 90% confirmed bullshit.

Edited by Dez.

it would be a lot better to just have more complex hitbox's where different organs are located, kind of like in sniper elite v2 where it goes in slowmo and you can see the bullet hit the heart if it lands on the heart, if you hit the heart hitbox (if it was added to dayz) it should be like hitting a headshot, That would be a lot better than your random damage idea but this is a game after all so its always gonna just be limb,body,and head hitbox's a little disappointing.

Hitboxes for all the organs might be better, but I agree that it's not likely, and I wouldn't really be a fan unless they were varied for a variety of human anatomy types - a universal human figure with identical organ placement isn't very realistic, either.

And, organ hitboxes still don't account for the vagary of how environment, stance/positioning, and the quality of an individual piece of ammunition all impact the interaction of injury. Basically, I really think it's too complicated for our models to simulate. We have to accept a certain level of abstraction, and the one I (personally, I don't expect everyone to agree with me) am most comfortable with, is one that maintains the experience of that variability, the what, even if it has to do a bit of handwaving with the how.

Anyway, you should refine the idea and post it in the suggestion forum, if it hasn't already been suggested. (didn't search.. yet.)

I'll support it. :)

Thanks! Maybe I will, but either way it's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks this way. :)

Edited by iamnotachicken

@uranos.. you do know the nerf was a arma patch.. it was in no way associated to dayz... >.>

Oh man, i didnt know that :( so im sorry Dayz dudes for my mistake

I hope they do something about it :/ there is not much ammo in the game to waste it on zombies :/

Good, good. I'd rather have some kind of timeout for combat loggers now but wait some more days for the patch.

Oh man, i didnt know that :( so im sorry Dayz dudes for my mistake

I hope they do something about it :/ there is not much ammo in the game to waste it on zombies :/

You should read back a page or two and check out what we were saying about how to change it for the better..

I can understand why you would be annoyed, but don't make the mistake of jumping the "gun" (lol pun) when it comes to ditching DayZ for "other games"

Those are commercial, and they probably won't listen to their playerbase nearly as much as they do their investors.. trust me, eventually DayZ stand-alone will be the only game anyone ever plays, ever. :P

I'm aware that it was an ArmA patch and not a Dayz patch that did this. It may have sounded a bit heated toward Rocket, and for that I apologize.

However, I'm getting worked up here because knowing how Rocket devs, he might just let this change slide for a while to see how it goes. I don't want that, as I know the effect this will have on sidearms in PvP.

Yes yes, use a DMR like everyone else, I hear you. However we die in this game, and we have to use what we have. If all I have in a realistic enviroment is a 1911, that's what I'm going to use. Also, I like playing on Vet servers so I don't have magical crosshairs that let me CQC with a DMR. If i'm running a sniper, I switch to my sidearm for close range encounters. With the damage like this, I'd rather just take my chances with the sniper.

Also to the person that said to keep this for the sake of zombie balance, I say again: Change zombie health not the damage. The damage effects PvE and PvP.

i wouldnt change either without first fixing the hit boxes. some other guys say "shoot them in the head" well thats not always so easy to do. sometimes it takes 3 shots to register as a headshot. and dont tell me im actually missing the head-you all know what im saying here. then give the zeds more health or whatever.

I like the new 5 second timer, but hopefully it doesn't allow item duplication again. Like, if someone steals an item from you in those 5 seconds, you lose it. At least they didn't kill you!

You post nothing substantive as a rebuttal and you accuse me of failure. Do you have a computer under your bridge or are you posting from a net cafe?

i dont see anything wrong with either of those places...

Rocket please make the hatchet always go into the toolbet when you pick it up. Sometimes it replaces the primary weapon, I'd rather this didn't happen. Also have you thought about making the baseball cap an item that you can find, and adding other head-gear such as helmets (military, civilian), which you can equip in a new inventory slot. You could also do the same for the kevlar vest on the current civilian model, have the kevlar vest as a toolbet item which causes it to appear on the model. Then making the model start with a random clothing skin (or add additional lootable clothing skins).

This would be AWESOME. Also I reminded you on the live stream the other night but you did say you forgot, so don't forget about the "bloody zombie textures", thanks Rocket :)

• Like 5

Patch here,

Hey guys. Well, still being tested. They're really working me over.

But not like YOU will!

See you soon, I hope!

Grow up.

Also, you say "fook battle eye" really, you think he's got a say in that? DayZ is a mod. A mod.

yeah you may want to refute the actual topic of the post (hacking in dayz being rampant and BE not doing its job) instead of just cherry picking a sentence on the topic that you dont agree with. If you cant articulate your thoughts better you may just want to stick to playing games instead of commenting on them.

Fact - DayZ is infested with hackers

Fact - Battle Eye advertized statements say it prevents such intrusions

Fact - That is false advertising

Now that I have broken down my rant for you into 3 easily defined notes you may now formulate an actual rebuttal to my statement.

Rocket please make the hatchet always go into the toolbet when you pick it up. Sometimes it replaces the primary weapon, I'd rather this didn't happen. Also have you thought about making the baseball cap an item that you can find, and adding other head-gear such as helmets (military, civilian), which you can equip in a new inventory slot. You could also do the same for the kevlar vest on the current civilian model, have the kevlar vest as a toolbet item which causes it to appear on the model. Then making the model start with a random clothing skin (or add additional lootable clothing skins).

This would be AWESOME. Also I reminded you on the live stream the other night but you did say you forgot, so don't forget about the "bloody zombie textures", thanks Rocket :)

This 100 times

• Like 2