rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2.4

So they're tiering kit irrespective of the actual physics involved. That doesn't strike you as gamey?

Sorry, you were going to post some actual physics to back up your assertion they're being gamey?

Rocket,

Seriously, stop adding such stupid changes

I did not buy arma 2 for theses and im sure plenty of others

Remember what made the game great to start with and now you are ruining it.

Ive said this before but people dont listen.

But look at people complaining now ! alot of them isnt there !

taking away guns, stupid bear traps and now removing the respawn utton

If you want these changes dont force us players to test them either. Do it behind closed doors with your own testing.

Hell if the mod is that great im sure you can get a small group to test such silly implimentations

Ive give this mod a chance Rocket, to many chances but you are taking more away from the player.

Alpha or not, its no excuse.

The players are here to test, thats why this is in Aplpha and not a polished gold release... he makes changes we test, stop ranting

Hopefully the mass-death and teleport stuff is next on list. I'm honestly on a DayZ vacation/break until that gets sorted. It gets tiresome to start over again not because someone outsmarted you, or outplayed you... nor because you got unlucky or took too many chances... but because some bored child googled his way to a mass-death script for ArmA/DayZ.

It's going to be a long vacation/break since Rocket can't do much. He already said several times that there isn't much that he can on DayZ as a mod. Right now, the guys that can help on that regard it's Bohemia and Battleye.

I'm aware that it was an ArmA patch and not a Dayz patch that did this. It may have sounded a bit heated toward Rocket, and for that I apologize.

However, I'm getting worked up here because knowing how Rocket devs, he might just let this change slide for a while to see how it goes. I don't want that, as I know the effect this will have on sidearms in PvP.

Yes yes, use a DMR like everyone else, I hear you. However we die in this game, and we have to use what we have. If all I have in a realistic enviroment is a 1911, that's what I'm going to use. Also, I like playing on Vet servers so I don't have magical crosshairs that let me CQC with a DMR. If i'm running a sniper, I switch to my sidearm for close range encounters. With the damage like this, I'd rather just take my chances with the sniper.

Also to the person that said to keep this for the sake of zombie balance, I say again: Change zombie health not the damage. The damage effects PvE and PvP.

Any chance in fixing the bug when you look at the hospital coming from the west of cherno (the one near the miltary tents) and you get massive polygons spikes or whatever it is called because man it happens on all the servers and it just isnt me

Cheeers to you anyway :)

Has anyone seen any mass teleport or other server wide hacks since about 18 hours ago?

yes, me.

edit.: 11 hours ago

and btw those damage changes are making this game fell like counter strike. im ok with zombies being harder and all, i for one siad the game was too easy. but a 45 to the chest of another player should kill him.

Edited by white

Sorry, you were going to post some actual physics to back up your assertion they're being gamey?

WoundProfile1.jpg

Boat tail rounds, such as those used in Former Soviet Block weapons yaw reliably when rapidly decelerating. This can lead to significantly greater energy transfer than higher velocity NATO standard rounds. This increased energy transfer causes what's called hydroshock, essentially the bullet generates a pressure wave that drags soft tissue and fluid with it along for the ride. AK wounds are monstrous, and there's no reason to dial back their damage just because they're common. The same thing goes for .45's, the round is slow and heavy enough to transfer a colossal amount of energy to a recipient sufficient to disable or kill a human being fairly reliably in a single shot as was demonstrated in the Philippine expeditions, which led to the adoption of the .45 as the standard round of the US Military forces. Would you like to know more?

Edited by sp86
  • Like 8

weapons that use similar ammo, and used to do equal damage, are now different. for instance the m4, m16, and ak's all used to do 3555 damage, but now the ak's have been nurfed to 2722

I don't know enough about ballistics to know how much of this is accurate

yes, me.

No reports have been posted since the repute ban wave yesterday.

EDIT: my fingers are really too fat for iPad typing.

Edited by 1.7.2.4

rocket keep up the good work. Don't make it easy for us either ;). I'm loving the new weapon damage and it REALLY makes you think and be careful about your aiming and your actions. Love the list of new features so far, and I know you've got more you haven't listed yet as I'm sure you've already taken a look at most/all of the major bug reports so far, so not going to repeat anything here and will report any new bugs in the "released" thread. Thanks for your awesome mod.

I would say the update will take place on the 31st of July (Tuesday) (GMT), rather than 24th (rewind?) :)

WoundProfile1.jpg

Boat tail rounds, such as those used in Former Soviet Block weapons yaw reliably when rapidly decelerating. This can lead to significantly greater energy transfer than higher velocity NATO standard rounds. This increased energy transfer causes what's called hydroshock, essentially the bullet generates a pressure wave that drags soft tissue and fluid with it along for the ride. AK wounds are monstrous, and there's no reason to dial back their damage just because they're common. The same thing goes for .45's, the round is slow and heavy enough to transfer a colossal amount of energy to a recipient sufficient to disable or kill a human being fairly reliably in a single shot as was demonstrated in the Philippine expeditions, which led to the adoption of the .45 as the standard round of the US Military forces. Would you like to know more?

Failure apparently is an option.

I can read too and there's lots of good reading to be had:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/wound.htm

The chart you posted actually lines up pretty well with the damage values of arma 2 guns at this time. but you didn't even post a chart comparing pretty much all the actual weapons changed in arma 2 1.62. Most of the changed guns aren't military assault rifles.

You have to factor in lots of things when valuing the weapons for damage balance as well in a simulator. A standard chart like you posted only works if the bullet is fired from a barrel of approximately the same length at approximately the same twist rate.

I'm sure you'll manage to get there eventually.

• Like 2

I hope the Update is comming sooooon, cant wait :)

Yeah me too, looking forward to see some choppers. I will probably never get one but it is gonna be cool to hear one in the distance and see it flying above your head crashin into the woods...(Never saw one because i started playing DayZ when they removed them :( )

But since rocket said that they would not release the patch on a friday it is very likely that we have to wait until monday :(

No reports have been posted since the repute ban wave yesterday.

EDIT: my fingers are really too fat for iPad typing.

yeah i for one didnt have proof beyond my own death since i dont have fraps installed so i didnt bother to report. thought other people were already doing so on a daily basis so felt it was irrelevant. edited my post to include aproximate timing. happened on us 1039 tx about 11 hours ago, everyone was teleported mid air and dropped to our deaths.

Edited by white

weapons that use similar ammo, and used to do equal damage, are now different. for instance the m4, m16, and ak's all used to do 3555 damage, but now the ak's have been nurfed to 2722

I don't know enough about ballistics to know how much of this is accurate

It could be extremely accurate. Barrel length has a large impact on velocity and twist rate of the rifling on stability and fragmentation.

For example: a short barrel M4 (14.5") with a 1:9 twist rate and a long barrel AR15 with a 24" barrel and 1:9 twist rate will have radically different results on the same target at the same range with the same ammunition. Fragmentation requires a certain speed as well as spin to the bullet. many shorter barrel weapons produce far less damage to target due to lesser projectile speed.

Bullet alone means nothing. I can throw it, i can shoot it from a slingshot, i can launch it from a smoothbore, i can shoot it from a funky 5.56 NATO firing handgun, a short barrel carbine, or a 20" M16 or a long barrel AR15. Each one will have measuably very different results.

A 20" M16 with standard NATO M855 will typically do far more wound damage than a Short barrel AKS 74u or 14.5" M4.

Now if you switch up your ammo to a heavier weight and a tighter twist you can change your damage potential...but we don't have those weight variations and twists in arma 2 and for good reason...the military standardizes.

id also like to point out IRL the m4 and m16 are both able to be zeroed and BZO'd... same with the m14... just a thought

id also like to point out IRL the m4 and m16 are both able to be zeroed and BZO'd... same with the m14... just a thought

That'd be awesome if they allow all these sights to be adjustable and even add the delay for the time to do it and animation to it in arma 3:)

It could be extremely accurate.

it now takes 8-9 shots from a .45 to kill a player. seems a little off

Edited by daze23

Failure apparently is an option.

You post nothing substantive as a rebuttal and you accuse me of failure. Do you have a computer under your bridge or are you posting from a net cafe?

also in real life, when I run face first into a tree, I get hurt. I just tested it :)

• Like 6

also in real life, when I run face first into a tree, I get hurt. I just tested it :)

LoL!

Also irl I can switch to my knife and kill someone :3 at least gives a 3rd slot for primary weapons, I don't want to waste ammo killing that boar and making sure everyone knows where I am while I'm at it.

I'm aware that it was an ArmA patch and not a Dayz patch that did this. It may have sounded a bit heated toward Rocket, and for that I apologize.

However, I'm getting worked up here because knowing how Rocket devs, he might just let this change slide for a while to see how it goes. I don't want that, as I know the effect this will have on sidearms in PvP.

Yes yes, use a DMR like everyone else, I hear you. However we die in this game, and we have to use what we have. If all I have in a realistic enviroment is a 1911, that's what I'm going to use. Also, I like playing on Vet servers so I don't have magical crosshairs that let me CQC with a DMR. If i'm running a sniper, I switch to my sidearm for close range encounters. With the damage like this, I'd rather just take my chances with the sniper.

Also to the person that said to keep this for the sake of zombie balance, I say again: Change zombie health not the damage. The damage effects PvE and PvP.

Good point about Rocket leaving the change as is.. I never thought about that, but you're probably right.

As for the DMR comment.. I'm sorry that my sarcasm wasn't apparent in the post, I honestly was joking, I can't stand people who snipe from 400m away.

If I was being serious, I would have suggested the AKM, or at the most an FN FAL. (probably my favourite gun, but not the an/pvs-4 version, I love the iron sites on the standard version) :)

As for the changes, I don't pvp unless I'm forced to, but I usually go for the headshots (I practice on zombies constantly) so I don't care about the body shots.. if I do hit the body with a bad shot, it doesn't matter because I *always* double tap when I shoot. (unless it's bolt action etc. obviously)

That said, I don't like the balance of the weapons as they are right now. The current weapon damage is, as someone said in another post, too "Gamey" atm.. I totally agree that a .45 round to the chest should put a player down.. zombies on the other hand need to be unstoppable unless you headshot them.

I dream of zeds that crawl when you shoot their legs out(which they do) but it should be really hard to stop them unless you destroy the brain. :D

Anyway, sorry if I sounded like I was trying to be a douche, I honestly wasn't. Thanks for not being a douche back. ;)

edit: Grammar for the win! ;)

Edited by Cyanyde
  • Like 1