rocket

The One, The Only: I HATE TEMP THREAD

I am awaiting the FART feature.

So many players eating so much of the magical fruit. One can only reasonably expect random acts of flatulence to be expected.

Though you should be able to temporarily suppress the function by "clenching"

You start at 0 flatulence, and at 100 your toon shall toot. Clenching stalls the upward count to blast off, but has a diminishing turn of effectiveness.

Also clenching acts as a multiplier to the severity of the flatulence. A fully "maxed out" FART should be able to attract zombies out to 30 feet, and be loud enough to alert near by players.

An un-clenched fart should have a chance to be completely silent; though should retain a 10 foot aggro radius for zombies. As they should be able to smell you out quite easily.

Also you're loosing blood if you clench too hard.

Because you're loosing blood for everything in DayZ.

This temperature feature is ridiculous and kills the games enjoyment. I know you want an 'Anti-Game' Rocket but there's a difference between that and destroying it.

Also MBRicochet you made me spit coffee all over my screen. Thank you for that!

Update: FARTS have chance to cause blood loss. The higher the severity of the FART the high the probability of blood loss. Maximum loss for event: 1000 Blood. Minimum: 10

This shit and fart meter are going places. Excellent work, mentlegen.

I'll offer this post for information's sake based on the experiences of myself and the group that I run with since 1.5.8.2 went live.

My small group of four to five survivors runs almost exclusively at night time, with a few small forays during the day for limited supplies. We keep our town/airfield/etc runs to night time and typically come away with large amounts of supplies. We've put up some tents way out in the middle of hillbilly country and use it as our base camp from which we operate. During last night's run which began earlier in the night we encountered no initial problems and completed our town raid like clockwork, even picking up some of the new wood supplies along the way. Our team is exclusively outfitted in ALICE and COYOTE packs and we start out carrying little weight on our supply runs, so we had no shortage of fuel to take home after the trip. It wasn't until, as we began our return voyage, that we began to see issues.

Our temperatures remained more or less steady, dropping rather slowly until it began to rain and we noticed a serious increase in the rate of drop. So we took cover in a barn in a hope to wait it out, get back to 100 and sprint for home. This is when we began to notice how incredibly slowly our temperatures began to increase. We were just thinking of lighting a fire to speed up the process when the rain stopped, so we set out again for home.

Upon reaching base camp, it had began to rain again and we made it just in time to light a fire, when some of our members were almost into the 50's in temperature. Now we were able to get back up to 100 relatively quickly even with the campfire, but the rain continued to fall and the wood did not last very long, soon requiring us to start another fire, then another as the rain would not let up. Keep in mind we were at our base camp and not near any towns, and the tents provided no shelter from the rain. Our -only- source of heat was the campfires fueled by wood that seemed to last for too short a time before it needed to be refilled. The rain did not stop this entire time, and soon we were burning through our supply of firewood rapidly, waiting for the rain to stop. Even when it did let up briefly (it would restart again shortly after) our temperatures continued to rapidly drop if we were not in close proximety to the fire.

The problem seemed to be that at this point, due to the rain coming at nighttime, our entire gameplay was brought to a screeching halt and we were unable to do anything but huddle down and twiddle our thumbs. I can imagine this would be the same for anyone in the game, regardless of affiliation. Survivors are not able to go out and look for supplies, food and water, bandits are not able to lie in ambush or go prowling for targets. we were literally hit by a huge upraised hand that said 'STOP PLAYING' and simply sat around and talked as we waited by the campfire. Eventually we couldn't even do that much, as our dwindling firewood made this impossible and we were forced to disconnect from the server to preserve our supplies. It's been said that people that server hop for loot/avoiding night/whatever is a problem, but we were literally forced into it in this case. The problem does not seem to be with the temperature system idea overall, or with the fact that wood is needed for fires, but the issue appears to be that the wood doesn't last long once you've lit it. In addition, unless you are sitting next to a fire, your temperature does not climb fast enough when you are in shelter. While I'm aware that the hotfix reduced the rate at which temperature drops, I believe it still too fast when you are assailed by both night time and rainfall simultaneously. If four well equipped players who planned ahead and brought back a surplus of wood are struggling to keep themselves warmed at their base camp during this time, how is a new survivor who barely has any equipment supposed to function?

I'm hoping that the Hatchet that was mentioned will help fix this problem somewhat. If wood can be supplied from the surrounding trees, it becomes a much simpler matter of keeping warm even at night during a rainstorm. You can actually go 'on the move' and be able to set up campfire pit stops along the way. Another thought is that perhaps the rate at which temperature declines at night and during rain still needs to be tweaked ever so slightly. We're close, but there still seems to be some modification needed.

I can't speak for experiences during the daytime, or when it rains during the daytime. Can those who've got some experience during these times maybe enlighten us with what their findings are? I can only speak of what we experienced last night.

I think that's about it. Hopefully this can provide some information for people to mull over.

Oh rocket youre a genius. I love the new temp feature. Major cities just need more burning barrels, chenarus has some but elektro dont seem to have. This could actually improve social play between people because they wanna stick around a fire in the night. Capture the barrel! It might need some tweaking in loot spawns too but the idea behind it is fantstic :D And pls dont listen to the whiners, they will just move on to the next game because they cant adapt.

as for the people raging: you still dont seem to get that this is an experiment?

MBRicochet wrote: "I am awaiting the FART feature".

Genius, but dayz was faster!

Didn´t you know this feature is in progress already???

As a part of it there was that dense fog simulating the bean-fart-emissions in v. 1.5.7, now temporarily removed because of wrong color.

The only downside to the cold should be getting sick and coughing, giving away your position in a small radius. Last time I checked, I don't lose half my blood when I get sick.

Until you fix the "blood is health" system this is the only way it can work without everyone logging off when it starts to rain. I get this is less of a game, and more of a simulator, so losing blood from everything needs to be addressed.

Honestly I believe the temperature system should be there, but only when you are in contact with water (rain, swimming ect.) having temp decrease on a sunny day is a bit over the top.

In real life the body uses food as fuel to heat your body, I think this could be a welcome addition, if you're well fed your temp won't decrease.

And considering what our survivor is wearing I honestly can't believe he is freezing during mid day.

The way the temp system is now, the game honestly is not fun anymore. I can't move anywhere in the rain as I'dd instantly get sick and I spend most of my in-game time camping inside a building waiting for my temp to increase so I can run 200meters to do the same thing over again. The water/food system is awesome and creates the need to move around, but this is almost made impossible with the way the temp system is currently.

As a last note, you can crawl into tents, would be awesome if you could escape temp loss from rain and night, if u was inside one.

I have been out quite alot in the woods in really bad rainy/snowy Swedish weather.

Aslong as you got decent cloths and remain mobile the cold won't be a hugh problem. Normally takes and hour or two in really bad weather or if you stop moving to really start freezing.

Like people have said temperature should only be a factor if you been swiming or if the weather is really really bad.

I also think its weird how a person is forced to gather chopped wood. Logically you should be able to gather wood in a forrest. Give the players a Hatchet or something.

Sounds very unlikely that a survior living in a forrest should go to a village filled with zombies just to get wood. Then it would make more sense if matches got depleted, so players had to go in and search for new matches.

Considering 1.5.8.2:

Idea: Cool!

Implementation: So wrong!

I lose 2 points of tempval per minute when SPRINTING in sunshine at midday, regained 1 point after approx 5 minutes of sitting in a barn.

Tested with two people, others confirmed this in the chat as well.

We found 2 piles of wood ( in a barn with two open doors), but couldn't pick up even one of them (yes, inventory was completely empty once as well for testing). Others in the chat said that "some are impossible to pick up".

The rising rate is fine, but the drop rate should be about a third of the rising rate if you ask me. And I shouldn't get cold when standing in bright sunshine, this is just wrong.

I've been around the Nordschleife last weekend. I was only wearing a T-Shirt. Did I catch a cold? No!

The problem of this is that it really shifts gameplay to warming up, completely. 5 minutes of running around outside will force you to sit in a building for about 30 minutes. So far I played DayZ because it's immersive, cruel, but yet - fun! Immersion is now gone because the temperature system is uber-unrealistic, and the fun is gone for me as well. All that's left is cruelty.

I am a carebear. Taste my delicious tears! ;)

I'll come back when the drop rate isn't that retarded anymore.

Quote from my thread (sorry for double posting) http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5113

"So far I have loved the mod and spent many and many hours with it. But at last night when the patch came out and tested it in the practice, I must say I got a little bit worried about this new tempeturate feature. On this thread I'm speaking about after the hot fix.

So we logged in the game with the new patch and started to find wood for getting us warm. We started the journey from close to Pustoshka. We figured out the temp dropped quite fast, infact really fast(my close approximation is 1 point per 30 sec) and we started to get worried about. Pushtoshka didn't had a single wood pile. Well we thought it must be just bad luck and continued the seek of the wood. Temp kept dropping and we got even more worried about when we figured out that you didn't gain any more temp when you were inside the buildings.

Then 1 of our friend find 3 piles of wood from Zelenogorsk supermarket and we arranged a rallypoint in between Pusto and Zeleno for heating us up. Then we head south and not soon after 1 of us got flu. I liked this idea in the changelog, but getting an infection from the cold in 30 minutes or so felt a bit exaggerated and unfair. We continued to the south and checked every barn and house we possible saw at the close proximity. But we couldn't find a single wood.

Eventually we reached our rendezvous point and set up the campfire. Before that 1 of us was under 20 temp points. Not far away from the hypothermia and we didn't want to take chances what will happen when you reach the 0. So we got warmth again and were about to continue the journey again. We figured out that you don't get warm very fast. It felt like half of the time we got cold.

When we found those only wood we have found so far from the supermarket we decided to head to Vybor which was the second closest supermarket. Temp again started to drop down and we eventually had to make another camp fire close to Myshkino. We had jokes while we were getting warm next to the camp fire that it seems to be that wood in Chernarus is more scarce than weapons and somebody even wrote on the sidechannel that he could change his M24 for wood. Anyway we didn't lose our hope yet completely and continued the journey.

Then we finally reached to Vybor and so far our saldo of the wood were those we found at Zeleno. Well then we found couple of piles in some houses and there was some more at the supermarket. So it seemed that we have had a very bad luck with the loot and it seemed that we will not die to the hypothermia after all. Though this server had only max 20 players, so it could be much worse with more players.

Still the impression of this system left a quite bad mouth in our mouths. It just feels fool to spend 1/3 of the game time in next to the campfire and it certainly doesn't feel like too realistic either. Chernarus seems to have early autumn going on(trees still has leaves etc.), so you certainly shouldn't get cold with clothes the character has. At least at the day time. It would make sense if the night or harsh condition would cause this temp drop. Also this system feels kinda dumb when you have many forests next to you full of all kind of kindling material like branches and still you have to search wood in panic from towns and villages. Also I'd guess those villages could have axes to find for doing your own wood or perhaps more warm clothes.

I like the tempeturate idea, but I think it shouldn't be that harsh. It's not the Siberia in the winter. :)"

I'll offer this post for information's sake based on the experiences of myself and the group that I run with since 1.5.8.2 went live.

My small group of four to five survivors runs almost exclusively at night time' date=' with a few small forays during the day for limited supplies. We keep our town/airfield/etc runs to night time and typically come away with large amounts of supplies. We've put up some tents way out in the middle of hillbilly country and use it as our base camp from which we operate. During last night's run which began earlier in the night we encountered no initial problems and completed our town raid like clockwork, even picking up some of the new wood supplies along the way. Our team is exclusively outfitted in ALICE and COYOTE packs and we start out carrying little weight on our supply runs, so we had no shortage of fuel to take home after the trip. It wasn't until, as we began our return voyage, that we began to see issues.

Our temperatures remained more or less steady, dropping rather slowly until it began to rain and we noticed a serious increase in the rate of drop. So we took cover in a barn in a hope to wait it out, get back to 100 and sprint for home. This is when we began to notice how incredibly slowly our temperatures began to increase. We were just thinking of lighting a fire to speed up the process when the rain stopped, so we set out again for home.

Upon reaching base camp, it had began to rain again and we made it just in time to light a fire, when some of our members were almost into the 50's in temperature. Now we were able to get back up to 100 relatively quickly even with the campfire, but the rain continued to fall and the wood did not last very long, soon requiring us to start another fire, then another as the rain would not let up. Keep in mind we were at our base camp and not near any towns, and the tents provided no shelter from the rain. Our -only- source of heat was the campfires fueled by wood that seemed to last for too short a time before it needed to be refilled. The rain did not stop this entire time, and soon we were burning through our supply of firewood rapidly, waiting for the rain to stop. Even when it did let up briefly (it would restart again shortly after) our temperatures continued to rapidly drop if we were not in close proximety to the fire.

The problem seemed to be that at this point, due to the rain coming at nighttime, our entire gameplay was brought to a screeching halt and we were unable to do anything but huddle down and twiddle our thumbs. I can imagine this would be the same for anyone in the game, regardless of affiliation. Survivors are not able to go out and look for supplies, food and water, bandits are not able to lie in ambush or go prowling for targets. we were literally hit by a huge upraised hand that said 'STOP PLAYING' and simply sat around and talked as we waited by the campfire. Eventually we couldn't even do that much, as our dwindling firewood made this impossible and we were forced to disconnect from the server to preserve our supplies. It's been said that people that server hop for loot/avoiding night/whatever is a problem, but we were literally forced into it in this case. The problem does not seem to be with the temperature system idea overall, or with the fact that wood is needed for fires, but the issue appears to be that the wood doesn't last long once you've lit it. In addition, unless you are sitting next to a fire, your temperature does not climb fast enough when you are in shelter. While I'm aware that the hotfix reduced the rate at which temperature drops, I believe it still too fast when you are assailed by both night time and rainfall simultaneously. If four well equipped players who planned ahead and brought back a surplus of wood are struggling to keep themselves warmed at their base camp during this time, how is a new survivor who barely has any equipment supposed to function?

I'm hoping that the Hatchet that was mentioned will help fix this problem somewhat. If wood can be supplied from the surrounding trees, it becomes a much simpler matter of keeping warm even at night during a rainstorm. You can actually go 'on the move' and be able to set up campfire pit stops along the way. Another thought is that perhaps the rate at which temperature declines at night and during rain still needs to be tweaked ever so slightly. We're close, but there still seems to be some modification needed.

I can't speak for experiences during the daytime, or when it rains during the daytime. Can those who've got some experience during these times maybe enlighten us with what their findings are? I can only speak of what we experienced last night.

I think that's about it. Hopefully this can provide some information for people to mull over.

[/quote']

Probably the best and most constructive without being all whiny whiny write up I've read. You've won my respect.

Definitely need some tweaking but the idea's there, that's what counts.

Also suggestions & comments after playing some more:

- Hypothermia and Infection systems should be completely separate. Of course both can get you killed, but you don't fight cold by gulping antibiotics, you fight it by getting warm, eating, etc.

- Food should, due to calorie intake, gives you a non-stacking buff, lasting about 1hour or so, maybe reduced with stamina consumption. The buff should provide something like a 1 tempval per 30 seconds or something.

- Wood needs to go, it's just not realistic in this setting. Good idea, but it's just not gonna work I believe. Replace with an ammo system for matchboxes, like 10-20 uses per box or something. You'll have the same effect overall, but not that "wtf, no wood in the middle of the forest" factor. Hatchet wouldn't fix it either, it's just...not useful for the concept I think.

- Buildings should give about 2 tempval per 30 seconds inside (constant of course). Combined with the calorie intake buff, that means you don't have to spend 2 hours in there to raise your tempval again. As it is now, buildings barely prevent tempval drops.

- Tents should have a 5m radius around them that behaves like buildings (upping your tempval no matter what). Not realistic I know, but it would allow people to cool-off near tents without having to worry too much.

- Skins (future implementation) should offer variable tempval factors. I understand that in the default skin, rain and night is shit, but gimme proper clothing I can sit and read a 1000 pages book at night in the wind and rain without a bother.

Good fun otherwise, but wood piles are the new beans! :)

Buildings should offer temp raise, another thing to stick around town sand villages... its dangerous outside.

I like temp, but I never really bothered with night time anyways.

Blankets, new 'clothes', those neat chemical hand warmers, fires, buildings... etc etc should all be implemented. But as it stands, the elements are harsh and many people freeze to death out side.

This new temperature feature is a cool idea. The implementation is totally reality breaking. I'm running in forest, trees have green leaves so it must be summer. Sun is shining and its midday. I'm wearing warm looking clothes, I have full stomach and I'm freezing really fast.

I do know what cold is. Where I live irl it gets down to -30 celcius almost every winter. I would get overheated in the conditions of Chernaus.

I have matches, knife, jerry can full of fuel and I'm in a middle of forest next to a fallen tree. But alas, I cannot make fire. The trees are not made of wood it seems. IRL its no issue to find burning material in a forest and no tools are needed to break branches from trees.

My illusion of being in a world is broken. I did not mind teleporting zombies, fixing broken bones with morfine or other goofy things but now its gone too far for me. I love this game/mod. Its awesome. But I'll wait untill I find wood in frorest and cannot freeze while jogging in a sunny summers day.

This new temperature feature is a cool idea. The implementation is totally reality breaking. I'm running in forest' date=' trees have green leaves so it must be summer. Sun is shining and its midday. I'm wearing warm looking clothes, I have full stomach and I'm freezing really fast.

I do know what cold is. Where I live irl it gets down to -30 celcius almost every winter. I would get overheated in the conditions of Chernaus.

I have matches, knife, jerry can full of fuel and I'm in a middle of forest next to a fallen tree. But alas, I cannot make fire. The trees are not made of wood it seems. IRL its no issue to find burning material in a forest and no tools are needed to break branches from trees.

My illusion of being in a world is broken. I did not mind teleporting zombies, fixing broken bones with morfine or other goofy things but now its gone too far for me. I love this game/mod. Its awesome. But I'll wait untill I find wood in frorest and cannot freeze while jogging in a sunny summers day.

[/quote']

Well said.

The guy who came up with this feature is a horrible game designer, and doesn't know anything about the real world.

I logged into a server yesterday night, with full health, well supplied. In less than an hour I was down to 0 temperature, desperately searching everywhere for wood, having lost 2000 blood and coughing like I contracted a bad case of pneumonia.

If there's ONE thing that should be available in abundance it's firewood.

I can already see the body of a survivor, deep, in the forest, frozen to death. In one hand a box of matches, in the other hand a notice "can't find wood...so...cold...gonna..sleep..."

He was a soldier before game designer so probably knows more than a fair bit about survival in the elements. I don't think people realise how complicated it is to design and perfect a system like this.

The last couple of posts... make sure you have 1.5.8.2

That hotfix saved me from losing temp in daylight. Of course it was slow to regain... but I was saved.

I like the new campsite mechanics and think that until a hachet (and spawning, downed trees) are incorporated, the current version works. Perhaps you can put wood spawners in the forest... but there is hardly any risk in that!

Rocket, you've never made me a sad panda.... WORK HARDER!

Didn't manage to get stuck in bad weather at all last night, didn't get sick, that being said we spent most of the night searching for Medicine and Firewood, where we were killed That being said can we please work on the ladder system, i fell off a ladder and lost a DMR today. Another player grabbed it for me after i died, and was actually going to give it back, and he then crawled through a doorway and broke his legs, then got eaten That DMR is cursed i guess.

Tried it this morning and noticed my temperature was dropping during the rain. Put myself next to a burning oil barrel and it got up quickly.

Did find some firewood as well (takes up 2 slots) in a house. Maybe I was lucky.