rocket

The One, The Only: I HATE TEMP THREAD

Ok, second post for me in this thread. I think this is very important:

On three servers I experienced the issues I described here. Freezing in broad daylight while sprinting around and losing 2 points per minute. Ridiculous! This was on the FI2 server, EU16 server and one I can't remember.

Now I tried another one, and it's completely the other way round. It was night, and guess what? I was crouching quickly through the woods and GAINED tempval. When standing still, I lost some. No rain and wind though.

So I guess some servers aren't properly patched and/or set up yet, despite having "1.5.8.2" in their name.

The way the system works now is ok. You can't lie down for an hour in the darkness without freezing, but you won't freeze when moving around cause it will produce heat. So it seems to work on some servers, on some others - not at all.

Man, my gameplay this morning has 100% been about temperature.

I forgive the horrible rates before the hotfix.

I actually didn't mind it much after that, I died to get rid of my cold simply because anti-biotics weren't worth the time and my friends would be on soon, and on my way back to my body, I found a vehicle. This vehicle apparently had a few broken windows, but for some reason the temperature drop didn't kick in until I had been driving it for a looong while. It actually didn't drop until I got out of the vehicle and repaired 3/4 of the broken windows. And when it kicked in, it kicked in HARD. Like, I was losing more than 20 temp a minute. So I got out of the vehicle, and my temperature continued to go down. It however was going down at a much slower pace this time. Got back into the vehicle to the melody of "Fuck it, I already caught a cold" and decided to write a post here because I've been at 0 temperature while sprinting through sunny fields for at least a half hour now.

This was kind of a shitty move for the mod, in my observance. Most of my friends upon hearing about the glitchy temperature system simply scoffed and haven't touched the game since the patch, and these are longtime veterans of games like FOnline: 2238, so they're used to games that aren't for the faint of heart.

Really though, you should have at least waited to release this until you had hatchets or something. I don't even need to restate how stupid it is, not being able to find wood in a forest. Too many people before me have already done so in detail.

I'm thinking that instead of tying infection to hypothermia, make getting hit by zombies have a chance at getting infection. After all, mixing rotting flesh and an open wound is a good way of getting an infection. The antibiotics could be used when this happens.

As far as temperature (hypothermia for now--hyperthermia in the future???), staying wet (submerged in water / exposed to rain) for a long period of time and leading to temp drop is reasonable. But, I think worrying about temp needs to be more of a lack of equipment issue rather than an issue that is constantly in your face (other than being submerged for long periods). Add some cold weather clothing and/or wet weather gear to eliminate to make this a non-factor. If you have the gear, then no worries. If you don't, then it will be a constant struggle like it is now when it rains.

Does being close to the edge of the map make you massively drop in temperature, as well?

if only we could do push ups to keep warm just like in the army. Plus we need motrin to fix everything possibly wrong with the human body.

Im taking a hiatus from this game until they figure out wtf they are doing with temperature and sicknesses. I find both ideas to be a lil too much, game lost its fun a bit.

Thanks for all useful feedback as alpha testers! After all, having people to test it is likely the only reason the public is allowed to play it in the first place. I'm sure rocket appreciates the clear, concise posts which will help him fine tune the system better for the next patch. Keep up the good work!

Good to see our experiences are being listened to, this is the most important part. Will be posting mine later. Great team.

I find it hilarious that you still need matches to light things when you have road flares, which burn at 760 C (1400F). The temperature addition was not really wanted in comparison to, say, fixing helicopter loot tables, adjusting zombie respawn rate, the horrendous zig-zagging effect combined with extremely fast running speeds, barbed wire being nigh impossible to remove, etc etc etc. Scope/function creep is a terrible thing to see this early in the project.

I played during the day and had no major problem with the temperature.

I was remaining at around 80-90 in temp but some of my friends where down to 60. But i guess its because they where wounded.

Still think there should be more ways to warm yourself. It should also be easier to make a fire. Like Soda said, you should be able to light a fire with a flare. There should also be more ways to gather wood out in the nature.

Hey Guys!

Temperature, Srsly?!

I am very Far from a Hospital and got a cold !

How am i supposed to find antibiotics with only 7k blood and shaking hands?!?!

For me, this is a really stupid and unnescessary addition to the game, and according to my opinion you should think about the update and fix it, or delete it completely !!

It would be logical if your Temperature Value would be kept up if you where running all the time, but noooo.

I hope I am not the only one, thinkiing that this update is totally bad.

mafit

Instead of reinventing and polishing the temperature system is anyone else like me and would just prefer it gone ?

Revert to not having to worry about making a fireplace to stay warm.

Revert to not being bored watching a fire just to play.

Instead of reinventing and polishing the temperature system is anyone else like me and would just prefer it gone ?

Wrong game

I lose 2 points of tempval per minute when SPRINTING in sunshine at midday' date=' regained 1 point after approx 5 minutes of sitting in a barn.[/quote']

I can confirm this. Using 1.5.8.2, running outside in the sunshine and still temp keeps dropping about 1 per minute. I love the general idea of temperature and how you have to keep warm, but at the moment it's not working the way it's supposed to. You shouldn't lose temperature when you are in sunshine and running.

It's fucked me up, I spawned in the middle of a forest, with no antibiotics and quickly became ill. So now with low blood, i've got to venture to places I didn't want to head to :(

If only it was possibly to have equipped everyone with a box of Anti-B's..but that's not possible. However, it's a nifty feature that I think is going to be awesome when it's fully completed.

I think getting an infection or cold should only occur when your blood is below 6000, thus further reducing it to around 2,000 fi you get infected.

I think things like broken bones, getting infected, pain and bleeding happening sometimes after 1 hit fro ma zombie( who lagged like they do most of the time) just ruins it, they should only happen when you blood is already low or if you getting attacked by multiple zombies. Also blood loss while infected is way to fast.

I love the new temperature system, though i think the changes should effect players a bit more slowly. The realism it adds to the game is great and it feels even more survivally. I think that colds should go away after a while, especially if body temp is high. Also, I think that wood should be pretty much everywhere in the forest. Perhaps implement a command to find wood and flag the forest areas as a place where wood can be found (this would be to avoid having to spawn thousands of wood piles) Also, perhaps another way to start a fire besides matches? Rubbing 2 sticks together? Fire existed before matches ;) I really like temp mechanics for the realism but there are some game issues that make them far tougher to deal with than they should be.

I love the new temperature system' date=' though i think the changes should effect players a bit more slowly. The realism it adds to the game is great and it feels even more survivally. I think that colds should go away after a while, especially if body temp is high. Also, I think that wood should be pretty much everywhere in the forest. Perhaps implement a command to find wood and flag the forest areas as a place where wood can be found (this would be to avoid having to spawn thousands of wood piles) Also, perhaps another way to start a fire besides matches? Rubbing 2 sticks together? Fire existed before matches ;) I really like temp mechanics for the realism but there are some game issues that make them far tougher to deal with than they should be.

[/quote']

Most animals exist without ever having fire. In a forest. Or even only some bushes or holes in the ground.

And Humans are still animals.

me and my friends were playing last night and we all caught colds, then it started raining and we got rushed by a horde, but it was ultimatly entertaining. i agree that some of the functionality is off, but it is a good mechanic, had we prepared ourselves during the day by getting wood ahead of time, we would have been fine, maybe make it so sprinting keeps u somewhat warmer, or being inside at least drasticly slows the temp decrease? not sure if armas engine can handle that one but just a thought. but the temp system itself , just adds another layer of depth to the idea of having to survive, once it gets dark enough, you have to keep yourself warm, so you have to plan ahead if you play at night. just my thoughts on what we experienced last night, thanks and keep up the great work.

Most animals exist without ever having fire. In a forest. Or even only some bushes or holes in the ground.

And Humans are still animals.

most if not all of those animals have some defense mechanism or method for dealing with cold, such as fur, or burrowing. they dont just stand there and laugh at the cold.

Its you and few more people.

I dont think the temp currently is implemented fully and correctly, but love the idea.

This forces you to do things you would otherwise not do, slowing down your game play, and actually making those campers - CAMP. You can no longer just lay in the forest with sniper rifle waiting for someone to cross your LOS. You will get penalized for that.

I do, however think that following changes would be good:

1. if running, especially sprinting, your temperature should stay still, and not drop.

2. You should be able to start fires in places like farm houses, i think i saw fireplaces in few of them anyways

3. sleeping bag or just a tent, should neutralize the temperature, and maybe even increase it at half or even a third of having a fire rate

4. You should have a counter for 'Body temp' and 'Outside temp', to help you better figure out which surroundings suck for you :) This way, if for instance the body temp is much lower than outside temperature, you lose it quickly, however, the closer it gets to the outside one, the slower the loss becomes. Similar to laws of physics ;)

Personally I can't stand the new temp addition, it's more micromanagement when there is enough going on to worry about already.

However if it's here to stay, sleeping bags as said above are a good idea, could also include waterproof clothing or ponchos as drops as well to keep the temp dropping from rain.

Temp needs a LOT of work before its gonna be ok in the game... unfortunately it has been implemented on the harsh side of things.

Basically, if you dont have matches (and theyre not that easy to find) youre shit out of luck.

Ive found tons of firewood, but no matches. I even have a tent, knife, entrenchment tool, toolbox and flares.

now, i SHOULD be able to keep warm using those tools, but instead i am catching my death of hypothermia in the middle of a sunny day because there was a slight drizzle earlier and im in a forest...

Its a wonder mankind survived this long before we became civilized and started building houses to hide in...

Look, I think we understand why the devs wanted to go for this.

That said, I'm being forced to take a hiatus from my character because my temps bar keeps dropping. Inexplicably. I can be running at full tilt -- in the middle of a sunny day -- for a half hour and my body temperature continues dropping. That, of course, defies logic.

To make no mention of the roundabout way of rectifying this issue; namely, plunging into towns to find firewood when, to quote a fellow player, "this island is made out of wood."

Anyhow, I kindly request that the devs reset people's temp bars until they get this system worked out. Otherwise, I'll be gone for a week -- no need to lose my long worked for m16 203 because I "froze" to death in the noonday sun...