whatup2003

Get rid of all the sniper rifles

Because sniper rifles take you out of the immersion of the zombie appocalypse feeling. Because sniper rifles makes the "end game" too easy thus too boring. Also because of the mag glitch where you can loot 1 mag and sit in the woods forever without finding more.

Need any more reasons?

Because obviously during a zombie apocalypse all sniper rifles will just magically disappear. There are other things you can do as a sniper besides get your murder count up. The main thing being watching your group's back from a distance while they carry out some sort of mission.

ALL of your buddies have those things? Really?

Then you're either duping or you don't very many buddies.

My group of 6 have been looting for weeks. Everyone has hundreds of hours in-game. We have found 3 pairs of NVGs total, and lost one last night in a firefight.

This thread is a directionless mess. What problem are you trying to solve, exactly?

And how do you propose I play tactically and cover my friends while they loot highly dangerous, exposed areas?

There's a reason chopper crashes are in the middle of fields and not in forests, you know that right? To make them hard to loot safely?

Now I can use my DMR or AS50 and stay in the treeline to cover my brother while he loots.

In your world we would both have to run up there like a couple of idiots and get killed by one nubcake with a lee enfield crouching in the bushes.

Fuck that and fuck this thread.

Sorry to be harsh but it's a terrible suggestion with no rational backing that would undermine critical tactical elements of the game.

And this game will never, ever have AI "guards," ever. So lets not go down that road okay?

Meh, as aggressive as your posts are (that ive seen), this is all very true.

Only found one other thread directly discussing removing all sniper rifles though(http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20330-snipes-nvgs-and-silenced-weapons-should-b-removed/page__hl__%2Bremove+%2Bsniper) so I wont blanket bomb the thread with 1300 varieties of the word no (http://en.wikipedia....native_speakers :).

But this is a big NO NO. Sniper Rifles are cool.

Edited by 3rdParty

All powerful? What the fuck?

Even if I am covering him, the odds are good that any prepared ambush is going to go off before I can do anything to stop it with my sniper rifle. Chances are good that I will be watching his corpse and waiting for his return, upwards of an hour spent motionless in the bushes.

That's "all powerful" to you?

You seem to have a very skewed perspective on both the effectiveness of sniper rifles and their applications in the game.

I would rather use my wits to safeguard an area from afar. Close proximity requires more wits? Your wits are better than my wits?

Effective sniping requires extreme amounts of patience, preparation and perserverence. You have to evaluate the terrain in an area to safely find a spot that gives you a sight picture without exposing you to fire. You have to plan escape routes. You have to know which direction likely attackers are going to come from and plan to respond. Most of all, you have to be vigilant, ever-aware, always scanning nearby hilltops and treelines for the slightest motion.

And when the fighting starts you have to track down targets from hundreds of meters away. Trying to spot a small puff of smoke or muzzle flash from the treeline that could be half-a-mile's distance.

Again, this notion you have that snipers just "go sit on a hill" is hogwash. It has no basis in reality.

That's also not really happening that often.

Unless you're trying to spam loot the airfields, in which case I have zero fucking sympathy for you, then you're not getting sniped that often. Not unless you're being incredibly careless and standing motionless in open fields or on tops of buildings.

I have played 600+ hours of this game and travel with 5 companions and we have lost two survivors to snipers. Total. In our entire time in the game.

People camp the airfields and occasionally Cherno/Elektro.

Stay away from those places, travel with disrection and remain unseen. You will not meet snipers.

If you do meet a sniper, use the available optics in the game to counter-snipe and your problem will go away quickly.

I guess the term all-powerful was a little strong. I simply wanted to point out that "because it's the best way to do something" is not a reason that should it should stay the way it is.

All of the points you made about sniping are valid. I agree with you. And I have said in other posts that sniping should be reserved for people who know how. If a group of people finds a sniper rifle, they should give it to the best marksman because sniper rifles should be absolutely hard to come by. This I think will hopefully come to fruition. I believe I read somewhere that weapon drop rates will decrease dramatically once the game gets a little further on. I am just petrified that players like you will be eclipsed by people killing just to kill rather than kill to survive.

The hill sniping remark was poorly worded as well. My main gripe is not specifically sniping, it's just the killing just to kill mentality. I guess I was projecting a little, sniping is a problem in just about every other game I play and I didn't want to see it infect this one as well.

Here's to hoping the game survives the alpha stage.

Edited by drseptapus

I don't think players are being that empowered. Some exploits need to be fix but other than that, sniper rifles are rare and the typical person can't even hold on to it long enough to use it.

You are trying to fix a problem you aren't even addressing in this thread and that's DUPING. Sniper rifles are only common because of duping. Fix the duping and this feeling that players are being empowered will go away. Removing sniper rifles is just dumb.

Trying to type up a response to his ridiculous paragraph but I can only come up with one word: bullshit.

Okay. Maybe a couple more words. Like "ridiculous bullshit."

Less than 12 hours ago my team was ambushed while looting a helicopter. 3 clan members jumped and killed my friend while he looted the chopper.

Thankfully we had an M107 and AS50 positioned nearby with sight picture on the chopper.

We waited patiently and when the bandits emerged to loot we took out 2 instantly and the other we chased off.

We acquired the bandits' loot and were also able to recover my friend's gear.

Without the sniper rifles, we would have been helpless to do anything but run out into the open guns blazing and hope for the best.

No preparation. No tactics. No planning. No patience. Just spray-and-pray Halo style. Fuck that, okay? Fuck that.

So, please, take your "one use and one use only" bullshit and blow it out your ass.

So basically before sniper existed. Tactics didn't exist either. If you can't cover your teamates from 400m+ with a huge scope, you can't cover them at all against a group of people using short-ranged weapons. Is that what you're saying?

I don't think players are being that empowered. Some exploits need to be fix but other than that, sniper rifles are rare and the typical person can't even hold on to it long enough to use it.

You are trying to fix a problem you aren't even addressing in this thread and that's DUPING. Sniper rifles are only common because of duping. Fix the duping and this feeling that players are being empowered will go away. Removing sniper rifles is just dumb.

Well I can certainly agree with that. Less guns and less ammo. That's all I want.

No preparation. No tactics. No planning. No patience. Just spray-and-pray Halo style. Fuck that, okay? Fuck that.

Alright. It's nice to see someone care about the game so much. Good on you, mate. :)

Unless there are more type of threats other than our regular running,crowling,hopping zombies which only spawn when players are close to towns, farms, then YES, most of sniper rifles and some of the automatic rifles are quite an empowerment. They are not so much of an empowerment in for example L4D because in there you can't stay safely away from the zombie threat and they have a significant amount of zombies come at you constantly + special ones.

I think your opinion and the other guys explanation are crap and that we must be playing two different games. Sniper rifles are powerful but they aren't game changers. I've taken out 5 people with an AKM and they all had AS50s. I followed them around for minutes. I've followed so many sniper rifle toting guys around, followed them to their camps, back to their vehicles, JOINED THEM without saying anything and just had a jolly good old time and never even noticed as not being someone from the group until I decided it was too late.

If you think sniper rifles are crazy op you haven't learned to use the terrain differently than you currently do.

Players are only powerful because people are mass duping. They'll eventually fix it and until they do the game is perfectly playable to me.
  • Like 1

I made the title of OP a bit extreme to raise attention, but I can settle with having less powerful snipers, less sniper and their ammo spawns, and fix the ammo bug.

I feel kind of silly now that I know about the duping glitch. Hopefully that gets resolved and some semblance of balance manifests itself. I'll still be crossing my fingers for less ammo and guns further down the road.

I just feel like the weapons are far more balanced than has been let on in the thread.

If you're camping the barracks doors at the NWAF or the Stary Sobor tents then, yes, sniper rifles are king. That's one reason I haven't gone near the NWAF in 2 months and only stop by Stary if I'm in "fuck it" mode (which doesn't happen often).

Outside of that, though, sniper rifles are incredibly situational. If someone gets the jump on me, especially if they are uphill and concealed by bushes, their AK or M4A1 is going to beat my DMR every day of the week. By the time I get eyes on target and try to bring up my scope, I'll have 3 holes in my chest.

And even if I do get my scope up, it's going to be jiggling around from my recent running and the fact that I can't really go prone due to tall grass blocking my sight line, etc.

There's a reason most snipers carry a second weapon - which is a huge sacrifice in bag space, etc. - because sniper rifles aren't really that good unless you know exactly where and when you're target is going to appear.

I'm willing to entertain discussions of rarity and frequency. Though I think you must concede that item duplication exploits might account for your sense that sniper rifles are too common.

But taking them out entirely just seems senseless. You're excising a major tactical element of the game for the benefit of saving a couple newbies' lives who would probably have died to a lee enfield just as quickly as they died to the M107.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

Maybe I should change the title to "remove powerful snipers and other rifles", half of the people just think I'm butthurt of being sniped too much without actually reading. LOL

If Snipers were removed a lot of the fear would be removed from the Game itself. If there was no Snipers then I would not fear for my life as much as I do now, as the odds of you being killed would drop.

Some people use Snipers to be a "dick" and kill newbies who just spawn, but why remove something so good just because a small percentage use it to be a dick? - Some players just PVP, They spawn find a weapon and kill other players, they dont care for food or whatever they JUST kill people, thats it, does that mean we should remove PVP? Because a small percentage use the feature to be a dick? No.

Snipers are a great feature in the game and adds a lot more fear and makes people be more aware of their surrondings.

EDIT: I made the title of OP a bit extreme to raise attention, but I can settle with having less powerful snipers, less sniper and their ammo spawns, and fix the ammo bug.

There ya go. That's more agreeable.

There's a reason most snipers carry a second weapon - which is a huge sacrifice in bag space, etc. - because sniper rifles aren't really that good unless you know exactly where and when you're target is going to appear.

Great^^^^......and the reason why Snipers are so great is????? Anyone?

If Snipers were removed a lot of the fear would be removed from the Game itself. If there was no Snipers then I would not fear for my life as much as I do now, as the odds of you being killed would drop.

Some people use Snipers to be a "dick" and kill newbies who just spawn, but why remove something so good just because a small percentage use it to be a dick? - Some players just PVP, They spawn find a weapon and kill other players, they dont care for food or whatever they JUST kill people, thats it, does that mean we should remove PVP? Because a small percentage use the feature to be a dick? No.

Snipers are a great feature in the game and adds a lot more fear and makes people be more aware of their surrondings.

You are speaking for the receiving end of the sniping. What about the snipers? What poses a threat to them? Other snipers? Giving the map size and server population, the chance of a well hidden sniper being picked off by other sniper is extremely low. A game needs constant challenge, but the current route of most players are survive,get gears, run out of stuff to do, and quit. There should be PVP but the game should not just limit itself to just PVP or just plain shooting type of PVP.

Edited by realm13

Great^^^^......and the reason why Snipers are so great is????? Anyone?

Arggghh I will just post as that was stupid idea.LOL Sniper weapons are OP because Dayz forces players to hit the NWAF for military gear.Its a freaking huge open world and we ahev to go to a huge open field and huge hangars with huge doors...meaning no where to get in and out under some sort of cover.I have been sniped in cities but find its easy to spot them and easy to avoid snipers there.But the airfields are ridiculous.

That said,I think dayz is just geared to allow snipers to camp and the good gear loving hordes to take their chances sadly.I posted in past that the very best weapons should only spawn randonly and all over map to get away from this chicken shoot NWAF thing.Even the heli crashes are geared towards being a chicken shoot for snipers.Its as if Dayz said ok lets put best gear in places where snipers can camp and noobs can "try" to get something good and just call it a day.LOL

Snipers add an important element of danger to the game, which I enjoy. It's much more exciting sneaking around Cherno knowing that I could be in the sights of a sniper if I moved too quickly or out into the open. It adds more of a stealth element. Sure you can juke zombies, but it's more exciting to be splinter-celling through a town. Griefers make the game what it is (I'm not one myself).

.Its as if Dayz said ok lets put best gear in places where snipers can camp and noobs can "try" to get something good and just call it a day.LOL

Yeah, they said 'let's call it a DayZ.'.

Edited by Staki9
  • Like 1

Shooting a weapon takes alot of concentration and skill when at range.just look at all the videos on you tube of guys missing at freaking 100 yards.You watch the videos and see the barrel moving from breathing.But in A2 it seems easy.No knock on dayz as it uses A2.Would love to see a system added where the weapon sway is erratic but in a small circle and when you hold Rmouse it stabilizes over say 3 seconds to where it is now....then just stays there for a second and back to erratic.Something to simulate the concentrating right before trigger pull.

yea.. i just click left mouse button