forte (DayZ)

Holster pistol

For those who are familiar with the ArmA engine and it's clipping on ladders, we need to be able to holster our pistols.

ACE I believe has a method of doing so already, so possibly just borrow their code

• Like 1

Actually, holstering the pistol would be great for "are you friendly or not" encounters...

just pointing the gun away is kinda half-aggressive still...

This needs to be implemented quite urgently and not just to climb ladders.

If people were able to holster their guns when talking to people it would prevent SO MANY player on player incidences.

Many people shoot back simply because there's a gun being directed directly at their face and many more have died because they were busy thinking "Has he stopped moving to talk on chat? Or has he stopped moving to aim at my head?"

I would really love the ability to employ a 'passive' stance without putting my hands behind my head for 3 seconds at a time.

I saw someone pointing the pistol upwards in DayZ. No idea how he did that.

Yep, this is very needed feature. It isn't simple decoration or so, but feature which add to gameplay many deep layers. Logically, milsim could exist without it.

But this MOD is about something other.

I guess that, after some new videos on Youtube, where some survivors/bandits will do some good shooting, pulling guns out of holsters, the ArmA2 may sell even more.

Although,imho, seems that many features isn't issues of MOD, but the main game, the game engine, etc.

Therefore I call to give own recommendations and suggestions also on the BIS forum and also show them their your growing interest.

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?56-ARMA-2-amp-OA-SUGGESTIONS

There is even special DayZ theme, where you can welcome the developer.:D

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?133560-DayZ-Zombie-RPG-%28Unofficial-Mod%29-Alpha

You can bind a key in your options to 'surrender' which puts both of your hands in the air.

It should also be known that \ is the default for salute and ' is the default for sitting down.

IIRC, most 'holster pistol' scripts out there work like this:

1. mouse wheel choose 'holster'

2. script saves what pistol you had, how many mags you had

3. script deletes your pistol and mags

4. tada! no pistol and just 'hands'

5. mouse wheel to select 'draw pistol'

6. server gets data about what you had

7. puts pistol and mags in your inventory

You can bind a key in your options to 'surrender' which puts both of your hands in the air.

You need to drop all your weapons on the ground before that animation works. It's broken in Dayz as it is now, I already made a thread about it where I asked for it to be fixed. We'll just see what happends.

I agree, holster weapons is kinda needed for encounters with other players :/

Agree. Would be awesome and handy for friendly encounters.

Though, actual handgun holsters aren't very common in a daily life environment, I think.. Maybe your character would just put the gun under his belt or in his pocket or something. Would make more sense in my opinion.

It would be neat, especially if it took a second or two to draw the pistol (or whatever weapon) again. Approaching someone with your weapons holstered would render you a moot threat (since they could just shoot you if you tried to draw it, given the draw time), and would be a good gesture of non-threateningness.

However, there's something to be said for the trigger-happy oh-my-god-is-this-guy-going-to-kill-me-better-kill-him-first thing that the game has going on. Maybe it's better this way.

I agree, this would add a whole new level to player encounters.

I only hope to see it implemented one day.

Great idea! +1

I think there's a great animation for this, and it already exists in-game.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, equip your pistol and then open your gear with the G key (or watch someone else do it). Now, watch how the character brings the pistol up to his ear and points it toward the sky.

Not exactly a holster animation, but I think it would work quite well.

Yeah, a holster feature is pretty much needed. Definitely help people distinguish friendlies from bandits without having to quickly type "friendly?!", not to mention, gives you more time to run/shoot them if they try to shoot you in the back. I'd feel a lot more at ease if someone holstered their weapon around me

There is a holster animation, or at least it is part of another animaton. Stand completely, and hit the "sit" key when you have your side arm selected, you will see him holster it before sitting down.

I'm always tempted to shoot people, when they look at me, because i always think they are aiming at me! Holstering the weapon would be awesome!

Yeah, we need the option to lower our pistol and the option to put away both our weapon entirely.

I think for this particular mod these rules should be applied to handling weapons:

All weapons are lowered by default

There is no separate command to raise weapon

Weapon gets autoraised as soon as you squeeze the trigger and start shooting from the hip

Weapon gets autoraised when you ADS (Aim Down Sights)

So basically if you see someone raising their gun, you are free to shoot them back.

Resurrect the dead! :P

This would for me anyway, solve a lot of issues with SoS. The time it take's to draw a weapon would give players more time to talk it out and or react to hostile characters.

So simple, yet so effective.

I'm on-board with this idea completely, a slight delay between drawing and firing as a side bonus would definitely allow non-hostiles to show their intent, and would make hostiles at least think about how to approach a situation to where they can draw their weapon and kill without being shot first.

This will honestly only delay a kill by making you talk to someone before you gain their confidence, redraw your weapon (for the coming fights as a team of course), and blow their brains out while you let them lead you around. That delay alone is enough to make me feel like "I was an idiot for trusting this guy" rather than "welp I better shoot him before he gets a good sight picture on my head" while he's typing "friendly?!"

On the flip side this also makes everyone seriously consider their approach to others, if they come in hostile the person will be ready to blast their ass, but if they come in disarmed the other person may just be a bandit too, and blow their ass away.

Fixing local voice chat will go a long way to helping this mechanic, if you meet someone around a corner and you both have guns drawn you could easily run around the corner, say friendly in local voice and come back out weapon holstered to show intent.

Also perhaps adding a bonus to holstering in which you can move slightly better so if you do holster and things go south you can possibly escape the situation. This also has the effect of allowing you to move around the world with your weapon holstered to move easier, however there is still that delay which makes you seriously consider how you approach every situation.

The holster idea, as nice as it is, requires an entirely new mocap and updates by BI. Arma2 has not been designed to fully support pistols, thats why if you hold one, the motions are stuttering and certain animations are missing.

This might change with A3, and maybe with a patch, but its not an easy thing to do