Barnheezy

Why Day-Z Fails

Zedsdead is a rocket fanboy who apparently hasn't put enough time into day-z :lol: (trollolol)

If rocket does intend on making this a stand alone game, I'm pretty sure the full release will not be out for a couple years knowing how the game industry works.

You sound complitley retarded. with first post and every other post.

If you check Zeds profile he registred since May. And he didnt put enough time into the game? u getting your words right out of your ass.

This game is not for you. You better leave and play something else.

Edited by evkol001

I've played DayZ for over 160 hrs and still love it and find new things to do...maybe you need more imagination my friend. Also vehicles are ridiculously easy to find once you know where to look, especially now that they can't be hoarded off the map. Most of your post is whinging so I won't address your points except for this one: you do not turn into a zombie because survivors are immune to the infection. So sayeth the Rocket.

Problem 1 :

Players expectations are set too high when they arrive into the game from watching edited action highlights on youtube with 2 hours of crawling, walking, and foraging edited out, or reading game reviews written by old school gamers.

Problem 2:

Players expectations are based on other zombie shooters such as L4D, Killing Floor, and Resident Evil.

Problem 3:

Players have no understanding of what Alpha's and Beta's are.

Problem 4:

Players expectations of gaming have been defined (corrupted) by cookie cutter production lines like EA, Activision, and Ubisoft.

Problem 5:

Players can't get used to not having respawns, progession tracking, and save games.

Problem 6:

Players have been playing too much CoD and BF3

Problem 7:

A lot of players are too young to understand what old school gaming is. And DayZ is definitely old school. Make a mistake, die.

Problem 8:

A lot of modern kids are brought up to feel self entitled and are spoiled rotten. "I want it, and I want it now!" Throwing tantrums is considered normal and acceptable.

Problem 9:

You may not like a game. It happens. Move on. Don't cry about it.

Feel free to add to the problems that generate OPs like this one.

(39yo and gaming for over 30 years and personally believe DayZ is the most original and exciting thing to happen to gaming in over 10 years. Thanks Rocket.)

• Like 16

why dont you SHUT THE FUCK UP you FUCKING FAGGOT

Lmfao! Lol'd so hard.

Otherwise, idk how long this game has been going or who's working on it so Idk.

I love what this game is and I have had fun with it. But what Im trying to say is that it is broken. This can become something amazing, but right now it isn't. It's fate is undecided.

Remember that it's your opinion, not a fact. Right now, many of us already think this game is pretty amazing, and that it's only getting better. You dislike the slower pace of the game, many of us really enjoy it. There's already plenty of games ( including other mods for Arma 2 ) that offer a much faster pace. This isn't one of them, and I don't think it ever will be.

• Like 1

I love what this game is and I have had fun with it. But what Im trying to say is that it is broken. This can become something amazing, but right now it isn't. It's fate is undecided.

You're speaking for ALL video games in general then. They all go through development phases and it's uncertain if they'll be good or not.

Edited by jay.pis

After spending my 65464`s chars Day 0 is Cherno, gearing up on matches, axe, knife and first time ever, Coyote 24slots bag, Enfield+beans and water in bag, winchester and 1911 on my person, I headed to the western forest.

Day1-6 I spend running in forest, tent hunting, car hunting, animal hunting, I actully had to commit a bean-murder since I came to starve.... now Im allmost fully geared, and ready to go to civilization as the import-dealer that I am. (Get gear far away, go south and get CoD-Killed)

What Im trying to say... you dont have more fun then you MAKE it yourself, I believe we all have been way to imprinted with games holding our hands all the way to the end, so when something like this comes along, we dont know what to do, I meen, no missions, no goals (surviving is in all games) hence why I camped the forest for a bloody week and recived the worlds paranoia... (yupp, I got attached to my gear)

I do agree that Zombies should be other places other then loot areas, would be so cool running around hunting in woods and suddenly spot a zed or 20, (yeah I love the walking dead too).

Anyway, as others already pointed out-----> alpha, ideas being added, big bugs flattend, come with reasonable well thought suggestions and hope that shit goes slowly cause the man want to avoid bugs like, zerg hordes of zeds with super senses spawning (could be fun thou) or opening a door sends you flying from cherno to the airport (enough getting killed closing it) and maybe he is working on Arma 3 options (hoping) as well as he entertains us... and probably reads constant complaints from people demanding crap he dont want or can make.

QQ

not to be too cliche, but most of that can be summed up with "it's an alpha"

I made an acct.just to comment on your post. I have been waiting for a game like this for over a decade. Alot of people come in here thinking they know what this game needs. Most are completely wrong. You may find flaws in this mod. and that is fine, but to presume you know what this mod needs to be successful is laughable at best. Rocket and his small team are onto something here. I am sure once ea/activison see what they have done here they will make the game you desire. Once the numbers top one million (and they will) you will get your triple A title.

Although you do make a few valid points, it's hard to take them seriously, You presume you know what is best for DayZ, This is probably not the title for you. Give it some time and your ZombieQuest will be released by one of the big guys. Goodluck in that.

• Like 1

But after about 24 hours of game play...

I've logged over 220 and am still having a blast. You're doing it wrong.

1. This is Alpha version of DayZ.

2. Bandits would be a HUGE threat.

3. You said that already, and the zombies are the ones who started the apocalypse, and they ARE a big threat, you just don't realize that because you are camping under a rock waiting for players to come.

4. NW airfield ISN'T the whole map, theres lots of citys at the coast with very good loot too.

5. DayZ is fun, you just don't have the balls to play it.

OG Gamers= "Damn kids these days"

Rocket Fanboys= "ALPHA!! ALPHA!! Greatest flawless game mod Alpha ever!"

Douches= " YOUR SO STUPID QQ"

I am all about hardcore survival games, I have an unsafe obsession for zombies and zombie apocalypses. I have a soft spot for indie developers. I want this game to evolve from a concept into something great... My last post on this thread will end with this:

Rocket, dont let your 15 minutes of fame distract you from your game! Please fix the following : Loot, Zombies, Players, Towns, Buildings, bugs, glitches, d/cing, server hopping, and throw a sprinkle of fun in =)

That's all well and good, but you forgot something. This isn't a game. It's not meant to be balanced. And it's not meant to cater to one persons specific opinion. What you think about DayZ, is not even close to the majority of peoples thoughts on it, and that's pretty relevant when you consider this experiment is approaching having had 700,000 unique players since April 13th, and it hasn't had one shred of marketing for it other than word of mouth on Reddit and other online outlets. The game, whether you like to believe it or not, is a huge success, and while it may lack some features -- the fact remains that there is no other game on the market that can play on human emotions as well as this game can. The reason it is still Alpha, is because for one of the first times in the gaming industry, it is being produced by a man who isn't catering to the popular idea of making a game "fun" or "easy to play". It's being produced by someone who doesn't care what anyone else thinks the game should be, and what wouldn't work.. he has one vision, and he's following it regardless of anyone thinks it's wrong or not.

That's what's going to make DayZ, when it's released as a stand alone client, take home many game of the year awards, if it won't do it already as a fucking MOD. In alpha. There is no reason the mod shouldn't still be in Alpha as well. Alpha is for testing new features and ideas, and beta is for fixing and polishing things. It makes me extremely happy knowing this game is in Alpha, because that means we're going to see a lot of new ideas being tested. Ideas we, the community, will probably think are extremely awesome & unique... as well as some that we may think "meh". That's what makes this whole thing great. We're apart of gaming history, and that's simply because there hasn't been a single product like this, and I feel privileged to be able to take this Journey with Rocket.

Edited by KField86
  • Like 1

I read it, I understand it, and I agree only with the part that boredom is what keeps people killing eachother. OK, well not just boredom but a lack of any reason NOT to kill people.

To call this mod a failure is like saying Motzart couldnt put together a good piece for an orchaestra... wtf son? This game is a mod and is ON THE MAP... people have been talking about this across the world. Arma2 was a hit, this rejuvinated a game that most had started to leave waiting for Arma3... so I ask you... how can you call this a fail?

Rocket, dont let your 15 minutes of fame distract you from your game! Please fix the following : Loot, Zombies, Players, Towns, Buildings, bugs, glitches, d/cing, server hopping, and throw a sprinkle of fun in =)

I'm 100% with you on this and I do have a lot of suggestions same as with everyone else. We all just gotta be patient and see where this mod (or stand alone game, if it turns into that) goes.

Edited by jay.pis
  • Like 2

If rocket only fixed the ability to hack the game, I'd honestly be satisfied with a lot. Balance will come, no matter what you like to think, because its the essence of games.

I like a hardcore survival sim. I dont love PvP but its reasonable. Lets just agree this is HARDLY a failure...

• Like 1

!support

In a true zombie apocalypse, the zombies would be enemy #1, not other humans.

In what movie has this ever really been the case? It's the other way around, and this mod has that right.

*Newsflash* he can't fix much of that. Not on the Arma2 engine. Don't expect something that feels truly polished until DayZ comes out in some form on Arma3.

Edited by entelin

OG Gamers= "Damn kids these days"

Rocket Fanboys= "ALPHA!! ALPHA!! Greatest flawless game mod Alpha ever!"

Douches= " YOUR SO STUPID QQ"

I am all about hardcore survival games, I have an unsafe obsession for zombies and zombie apocalypses. I have a soft spot for indie developers. I want this game to evolve from a concept into something great... My last post on this thread will end with this:

nothing's gonna change. the game is a finished product and will never be updated

The DayZ mod was made for the community that has always played ArmA, a very small but loyal base. Somewhere along the line it became a phenomenon and attracted huge numbers of people that it was never intended for.

I can tell you never played ArmA before just like the vast majority of players whom are playing it now. Mods for ArmA have always been slow paced in development because it's either been just one person or a small handful of people working on them in their spare time, never expecting to get paid for their time. This is the mod community.

It was assumed it would be the same for this mod. Nobody and I mean nobody expected it. And nobody in their right mind can expect that someone in that mindset could have been prepared.

DayZ was developed for a engine at it's life's end. If anyone could have foreseen this I'm sure it would have been held off until ArmA 3 or made on an entirely different engine, but it wasn't and now you see the results. It's not really anyone's fault, it just happened. ArmA 3 will be perfect for DayZ because it's based on the updated engine that makes it what it is now. Has anyone new even dived into the editor (2d and 3d) yet? It's amazing how much depth it has and the newer one will be perfect for the ideas being thrown out for DayZ's future.

There is more going on behind the scenes now than just working on the mod, the bigger picture is now just starting to be painted but it's still on it's first stroke. So time, LOT'S of time will be needed to get it right.

Rocket as already stated that he has been given lot's of offers but all they cared about was the numbers and that didn't interest him, because just like many mod developers it's not about that and those developing companies just don't get it.

Games on the PC have been mostly stale because most developing companies tailor to the lowest common denominator of the console world and DayZ with all it's bugs breathed new life into the gaming world almost over night. Have you seen the latest Resident Evil trailers? They're atrocious and signal a new low of lows.

I'm not too worried about another company putting out a wannabe DayZ because that's just what they will be, wannabe's. This mod has brought back what gaming is supposed to be about and no big developer will go that route because it's not about numbers and they're not going to have it.

My .02 with flame suit on so flame away!

Edited by SIMJEDI
  • Like 2

To call this mod a failure is like saying Motzart couldnt put together a good piece for an orchaestra... wtf son?

Oh come on, I like this mod but how can you even compare Mozart and Rocket? The last time I checked Rocket only created another Zombie mod which happened to be for a simulator FPS instead of a classic FPS.

*Newsflash* he can't fix much of that. Not on the Arma2 engine. Don't expect something that feels truly polished until DayZ comes out in some form on Arma3.

Hopefully it skips Arma 3 port and goes straight to it's own game using another game engine.

Lets face it, DayZ seems pretty clearly to be a quickly hacked "prototypish-mod" on top of Arma 2.

- Problem 1: Arma 2 already appears to be one big bugfest :P (That's usually what you get when trying to push a lot of features into a single game, specifically on a relatively small team). All of those bugs will obviously affect the mod negatively too.

- Problem 2: Its only a mod. It probably needs to be standalone and get significant engine modifications to be able to do everything the game really needs.

- Problem 3: Its quite ambitious. And I don't mean this only techinically or content wise, but rather in the game mechanics as well - the game relies on the players to actually be sandboxing correctly to create the experience. (Rather than just outright defining what the players must do or are not allowed to do). This weird mix of coop and player vs player with players choosing what to do gives us a unique experience, but is also susceptible to the changes in the ways the players play the game.. and those playing styles surely will change based on the hours the player has clocked in the game.

- Problem 4: You just cannot compare this to any existing commercial game. Why? Because most big games are done by teams of minimum 20-30 people or so, and they do the game for several years, a minimum of 2-3 years generally, before the players actually get their hands on the game. So DayZ won't probably be very polished until maybe after 2 more years, at earliest...maybe?. And even that would more or less assume much more resources to be put into the development. (Though it surprisingly well manages to use the Arma 2 as a base to get to the content/playability level it already is at.)

So... I think this may be a long wait until we really see a polished gem out of this game. The basic idea is there, and it clearly works as the game has already proven that with the hype generated and the masses playing it. But it will certainly take time to get it "done". And it needs to adapt as the playing style of the players change during this time. And who knows how well it can keep the existing playerbase interested while waiting. Probably a good idea to go have a little break from the game at some point, and return back later.

• Like 1

after a month or two of playing i would have to agree to an extent. the game desperately needs something else, and its NOT more interviews about rocket's "vision", they need to get moving with the updates and fixes.

i have found powerful weapons and lost em, no biggie to me. nor being killed by a bandit is a big deal either...hell, half the time they do me a huge favor by sniping me, as i hate the constant aggro of zombies. i cant count how many times this has been addressed, im guessing at this point it just CANT be fixed or whatever. just when he gets it a bit correct...it falls back into silliness again.

and yes i realize its alpha, and NO i dont give a flying shit if it is. i agree with the OP that its broke, and that barely any progress is being made. the melee weapons, altho bugged, made me smile...but now its as if theyre forgotten too. 1 step forward, 3 steps back .

there are indie games out there FAR more polished in alot less time than this game. the reason i dont play em at all is cuz im tired of fucking elves and dwarves and oddball counterstrike/battlefield clones. this game IS something different....but its gotten too mired within itself at this point.

if the zombies are jus meant to be window dressing and the players themselves as the over all threat, im out. i can play deathmatch in alot of other titles and PRETEND there are zombies running around. if this was the 'experiment' then its a failed one. weve seen this type of crap a zillion times alrdy.

an entire army gets wiped out, but you can only find a winchester...please. big deal if you can outright loot an AK or M16 and boatloads of ammo, add more fucking zombies and itd still be a blast to play even with the deathmatch element. entire platoons of soldiers get beat down by the walking dead and this is what i find nearby...matches. yeah, thats just dumb. you know whatd be HARDER to find out there? MEDICINE. youre more likely to pick up weaponry of any type than a fucking blood bag. oh heres another little thing...youd more likely run into a deserted tank and military supplies than a friggin downed heli. yeah i said it.

about the ONLY thing done exactly RIGHT is the music. its just weapons grade awesome.

fix this game please, stop the interviews.