rocket

Timing of Patch 1.5.8

Zombies already eat dead player corpses, i assume what it means is that there will be a wider radius around the corpse that attracts them

Solution for all servers coming up at once, is, anti-DDOS code in the master server which only allows 1 new game server to connect every 5 minutes. So, it would take a couple of hours for all the game servers to become active after a master server restart.

Solution for all servers coming up at once' date=' is, anti-DDOS code in the master server which only allows 1 new game server to connect every 5 minutes. So, it would take a couple of hours for all the game servers to become active after a master server restart.

[/quote']

I don't believe it is the servers coming up at once. It's the fact people are spamming enter to join a server thats full, and all the connecting/disconnecting is causing the DDOS'ing.

Take your time Rocket, yeah there are allot of bugs that need fixing but take your time to make sure they are properly fixed. You're making an awesome mod people should be patient, if they aint then they can fuck off <3

Much love

I wonder, are the zeds attracted to the smell of player death? Or do players let out a horrific scream when they die?

Solution for all servers coming up at once' date=' is, anti-DDOS code in the master server which only allows 1 new game server to connect every 5 minutes. So, it would take a couple of hours for all the game servers to become active after a master server restart.

[/quote']

I don't believe it is the servers coming up at once. It's the fact people are spamming enter to join a server thats full, and all the connecting/disconnecting is causing the DDOS'ing.

Anti-DDOS code in master server (for when all players are connecting at once after scheduled maintenance) and a queue mechanism on game servers. At least the latter. That should do it..?

I believe the biggest problem with this game right now is the need to restart the game servers all the time.

There is a major issue with that idea, and this is due to the way jayarma2lib communicates to the hive applications.

When a request is made from server -> hive app -> mother ship

It kinda ties up the server for a bit, waiting for the response.

My server tends to die more during peak times than overnight or early morning - i'd say around 5-6pm gmt when the Americas start waking up, probably due to a memory leak caused by hung connections to hive.

Introducing a delay tactic for the mother ship will have a knock on effect to all connected clients, and in turn the servers, making them crash more often, and when brought back online 50 new connections resulting in yet another crash!

We just need to be patient until rocket and co can streamline the communications between platforms and suck up these issues like the delicious tears that they are, preferably slurping through a straw of pain.

Ok, so it's the individual players causing the DDOS attack on the master server... well... not much you can do about that.

Perhaps you could use DNS? I.e. Change the TTL on the zone file to 15 minutes. Then, when the master server is to go down, change the DNS record which points to it to point to a dump server which just does enough of the protocol to tell clients that the service is down, and to stop bothering trying to connect for at least 10 minutes.

While the DNS is re-pointed, you can do the master server maintenance, then, when it's ready, change the DNS record back again, which would help somewhat, as cached DNS records will timeout at slightly different times, helping to stagger the re-connections.

Perhaps I'm talking crap, perhaps some kind of round robin DNS could be used to help trickle the players back to the master server, so when the master server is brought back online, 9/10ths of the time the DNS server gives out the fake master server IP, then slowly ramps it down to 1/2 of the time, then after a while, gives out the real master server IP all the time.

Maybe some DNS/bind guru could help with this...

Take your time, its okay for players to take a pause anyway.

Or else they might burn out.

Ok' date=' so it's the individual players causing the DDOS attack on the master server... well... not much you can do about that.

Perhaps you could use DNS? I.e. Change the TTL on the zone file to 15 minutes. Then, when the master server is to go down, change the DNS record which points to it to point to a dump server which just does enough of the protocol to tell clients that the service is down, and to stop bothering trying to connect for at least 10 minutes.

While the DNS is re-pointed, you can do the master server maintenance, then, when it's ready, change the DNS record back again, which would help somewhat, as cached DNS records will timeout at slightly different times, helping to stagger the re-connections.

Perhaps I'm talking crap, perhaps kind of round robin DNS could be used to help trickle the players back to the master server, so, 9/10ths of the time the DNS server gives out the fake master server IP, then slowly ramps it down to 1/2 of the time, then all the time.

Maybe some DNS/bind guru could help with this...

[/quote']

Or maybe, if possible, just change the port of the master server to null, and give the timeout-application the connection port. This way there is no screwing with the DNS, and as soon as you are done, and have switched it back, everyone can connect again. The real problem with the DNS issue is that if you end up changing them around, certain DNS servers may not get around to updating their cache for quite some time. Too much effort if you ask me.

Two thoughts:

If database is compatible with both versions:

Spread the update to the Servers which update groupwise

Meaning, the first 5 servers do an update, after some time the next 5 do update.

In the meanwhile, spread the update for clients by a low bandwith Server.

Because of the slow speed, there aren't this many people at a time who can rush the updated servers, and the other servers are still accessible. And so it would slowly migrate. Oh and while only a few Servers got the update, I bet, people would play with old version because they think they won't get a place. Once OldServer/NewServer is at 50/50, the rest will download the update too.

If the database is not compatible with both versions, there'd be no other choice,

update master server and Game servers, but still spread the update for clients slow.

I think everything else would be more work then worth, but perhaps and most surely - I didn't even get the point :P - *running away searching for cover*

By the way, if it won't be possible to play - Nobody gets killed by not playing for some time :).

My two lousy cents :)

I really love how everybody is apparently an expert on how to administer a patch to large amounts of players all of a sudden.

Let the man do his own work, if he needed our help he would have asked for it.

Yet another update Changelog:

* [NEW] Server cleanup system replaced with a more agressive one

* [NEW] Inventory Interaction system (right-click on items in gear screen to bring up interactions)

* [NEW] Temperature System now implemented (effects are limited)

* [NEW] Water can be filled in ponds' date=' all water pumps, wells, but not the sea

* [NEW'] Forced disconnection saving for abort and alt+F4

* [NEW] Zombie's will investigate player deaths

* [NEW] Adrenaline rush from panicing causes greately increased hunger for a while

* [NEW] PROTIP: Use Global Chat/VOIP in populated areas

* [FIXED] Helicopter loot despawning too fast

* [FIXED] Climbing a ladder with a pistol will cause you to fall

* [FIXED] Zombies not attracted to Flares and Chemlights

* [FIXED] Panic noises going apeshit all the time

Bandits will stay till Thursday.

BUILD 1.5.8 will be soaking until I wake up for work in four hours. Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Has is soaked long enough ? :)

I really love how everybody is apparently an expert on how to administer a patch to large amounts of players all of a sudden.

Let the man do his own work' date=' if he needed our help he would have asked for it.

[/quote']

As someone who has worked for over nine thousand of the top five-hundred IT companies, my professional opinion is that the new update should be distributed on a series of floppy disks.

After being sent to one server owner, they will mail it to the next server owner in a queue until all the servers are updated.

Let the man do his own work' date=' if he needed our help he would have asked for it.

[/quote']

No see there you are wrong, yes none of us know how to administer a patch but he most definitely DOES need our help. If Rock' feels like a lot of other creators and artists, he loves having people appreciate his work, which we all do. Dev's need the love and support of their community to justify their work. He most definitely does need us and we need him. :)

I thought the entire point of a community forum is to offer suggestions, discuss problems and their potential solutions? I.e. to have a discussion.

Sorry if this offends people, but I don't understand why it would anyway...

This is the internet. You could talk about Hello Kitty and people would still be offended by your demeanor. The best way to deal with it is by ignoring them. Either they will rage to the point of having an aneurism, or just give up trying to speak. Either way, you win.

The other alternatives are, of course inventive internet performances, or failing that, to challenge their honour by way of a duel.

Seeing as this still is a mod and not a fullfledged game or anything like that(Although it has the user spand as one xD) it's as I see it and not being an expert or anything, darn near impossible to just launch the update as already said, due to DDOS'ing..

But after a while with DDOS/no response from Host/Hive server, wouldn't people naturally start to just not login untill the user count gets low enough to start letting people in again?

I know most will just hamster away and probably DDOS it anyway, but without dedicated login/queing servers as most bigger MMOs have in place, it's an immense task..

Haven't bothered to read all darn 42 pages! but the very point of having a community is to deal with problems and overcome them, so have more wonderfull ideas!

This is the internet. You could talk about Hello Kitty and people would still be offended by your demeanor.

Sure seems that way. Many have an default aggressive communcation style on internet forums. Not trying or wanting to see other peoples points, or wanting to discuss matters like grown ups.