rocket

Timing of Patch 1.5.8

Yeah, something's going on. I can't connect anywhere. Logged out of Chicago 1 to get a snack and now I can't find any server that will let me in, despite many open slots.

It should be painfully obvious now that there is not going to be any "off-peak" hours.

Popular mod is popular. Let the man distribute it as he feels necessary. Problem is all you vultures will try to connect 20 million times when he does, and that spells no bueno for any and ALL servers, main or gameservers.

And whatever, if the patch takes another 'Y' days or 'X' weeks, maybe there will be more fixes and features. Fact of the matter is that this damn mod is amazing, and while it needs work its far from "ZOMG so unplayable needz moar patch pl0x!"

:angel:

I'm getting a "Bad version" error on almost every server now. Is that an indication that something is happening?

I'm connected to my normal server just fine, but there are between 1 and 50 zombies only, so no loot is spawning. It's been that way all day.

just shut the master server down and patch it already.

There's always going to be alot of people playing tbh.

just shut the master server down and patch it already.

There's always going to be alot of people playing tbh.

I have to admit, I'm feeling inclined towards this. You're NEVER going to get a lull, ever. Instead new people are joining, so the standard lull numbers will have increased drastically. There isn't going to be any compromise at this moment in time. And no, I'm not feeling impatient either.

People don't get it that they could have just stopped playing for one day by their own and in that way the peak would be gone :DD

Timezones mean you're never going to have real downtime. The only way transitions and mass load can be improved is by hosting the master server on multiple servers. Perhaps running multiple masters, with each master hosting its own 'universe' that servers connect to. Patches can be rolled out over one server at a time, spreading load between them.

Makes things a little tricky with the implementation with the Arma browser. But hey, in for a penny...

Just do it around a Sunday at 4am with a notice a week in advance. Then shut down the authorization server for one hour' date=' or better, and have a marketing campaign for that week to let communities know of the update. That way when the update comes, there will have been plenty of notice and you'll have full control over the process around all of the host.

Really, this game is so good, people should have no problem dealing with downtime for updates...

And if they do have a problem, we'll feed them to a horde!

[/quote']

This is an alpha!! I would say that he doesnt need to inform anyone for any reason that hes taking down the servers for a patch, except maybe the hosts.

I'm getting a "Bad version" error on almost every server now. Is that an indication that something is happening?

I'm connected to my normal server just fine' date=' but there are between 1 and 50 zombies only, so no loot is spawning. It's been that way all day.

[/quote']

Yea last night the server was @ 0 zombies. Eventually it went 30, untill people started killing them. Any idea what causes that? Is it because people are camping in cities? Maybe in the woods? Or is it an issue with the main/game server?

Rocket hasn't posted since about 11:50AM Prague time. (I assume these forums use Prague time). It's 9:40PM there now. I bet they're working hard on it as we speak. They're in the middle of EU prime time right now though.

In regards to the main server cluster crashing after pushing an update:

Maybe someone needs to speak to a few devs at CCP. Granted they have the resources and MONEY for massive databases in London, their server has 1 hour "downtime" every night. The second the servers come back online, they always have an influx of 10,000 + players.

I'm connected to my normal server just fine' date=' but there are between 1 and 50 zombies only, so no loot is spawning. It's been that way all day.

[/quote']

Yea last night the server was @ 0 zombies. Eventually it went 30, untill people started killing them. Any idea what causes that? Is it because people are camping in cities? Maybe in the woods? Or is it an issue with the main/game server?

I think the Zero Zombies isssue is an issue involving the hive connector that runs on the server. If you restart both the server and hive, the zombies normally come back.

In regards to the main server cluster crashing after pushing an update:

Maybe someone needs to speak to a few devs at CCP. Granted they have the resources and MONEY for massive databases in London' date=' their server has 1 hour "downtime" every night. The second the servers come back online, they always have an influx of 10,000 + players.

[/quote']

CCP's solution is to have multple servers harnessed together, and very efficient code. Arma2 wasn't designed to be an MMO, and DayZ is still working on performance. I'm sure the main server is a box under somebody's desk.

[/quote']

It's some kind of bug that causes loot and zombies to stop spawning, it only takes a server boot to fix it though.

So uh, I got a bit carried away...

Updated Changelog:

* [NEW] Server cleanup system replaced with a more agressive one

* [NEW] Inventory Interaction system (right-click on items in gear screen to bring up interactions)

* [NEW] Temperature System now implemented (effects are limited)

* [NEW] Chance of catching infection the lower your temperature

* [NEW] Chance of catching infection from already infected players

* [NEW] Water can be filled in ponds, all water pumps, wells, but not the sea

* [NEW] Forced disconnection saving for abort and alt+F4

* [NEW] Zombie's will investigate player deaths

* [NEW] Adrenaline rush from panicing causes greately increased hunger for a while

* [NEW] Bandaging Sound when bandaging yourself/someone

* [NEW] Coughing sound when you have an infection

* [NEW] Camera Shake when temperature drops extremely low

* [NEW] PROTIP: Use Global Chat/VOIP in populated areas

* [NEW] Fire requires wood to keep burning

* [FIXED] Should not be pellets for the Winny

* [FIXED] Helicopter loot despawning too fast

* [FIXED] Fog is way too thick

* [FIXED] Climbing a ladder with a pistol will cause you to fall

* [FIXED] Zombies not attracted to Flares and Chemlights

* [FIXED] Panic noises going apeshit all the time

* [FIXED] Zombie spotted alert far too quiet (increased slightly)

How does this "infection" work, and is it curable by antibiotics? If so, did antibiotics get les rare?

So uh' date=' I got a bit carried away...

Updated Changelog:

* [NEW'] Server cleanup system replaced with a more agressive one

* [NEW] Inventory Interaction system (right-click on items in gear screen to bring up interactions)

* [NEW] Temperature System now implemented (effects are limited)

* [NEW] Chance of catching infection the lower your temperature

* [NEW] Chance of catching infection from already infected players

* [NEW] Water can be filled in ponds, all water pumps, wells, but not the sea

* [NEW] Forced disconnection saving for abort and alt+F4

* [NEW] Zombie's will investigate player deaths

* [NEW] Adrenaline rush from panicing causes greately increased hunger for a while

* [NEW] Bandaging Sound when bandaging yourself/someone

* [NEW] Coughing sound when you have an infection

* [NEW] Camera Shake when temperature drops extremely low

* [NEW] PROTIP: Use Global Chat/VOIP in populated areas

* [NEW] Fire requires wood to keep burning

* [FIXED] Should not be pellets for the Winny

* [FIXED] Helicopter loot despawning too fast

* [FIXED] Fog is way too thick

* [FIXED] Climbing a ladder with a pistol will cause you to fall

* [FIXED] Zombies not attracted to Flares and Chemlights

* [FIXED] Panic noises going apeshit all the time

* [FIXED] Zombie spotted alert far too quiet (increased slightly)

I can not wait! :) Keep up the good work!

Can't wait to see something about the zombie respawn time

I am sure people will not mind if the servers are taken down for a day for maintenance then updates.

there is so much popularity for this game that people will be willing to sit out to have some important issues fixed. All that complain about not being able to play due to this maintenance should be ignored.

Dev team, keep up the fantastic work you have our support :D

Will the infected players be any different? like appearance? Thanks

sounds great mate, can't wait for the release