rocket

Build 1.7.2 Rolling Update

Just some experience with the new patch.

First, had the problem with camo, but who didn't? :D

Server lag - servers have huge lag and desinc, also vehicles and tents often don't appear after server restart.

FPS - didn't see any real change here.

Loot - loot seems to spawn differently, mostly less then before the update.

Ammo - melee weapons still need reloading and almost depleted ammo clips still get restored on reload.

Zeds - spawn like crazy, detect and lose almost randomly (or it just looks that way, hard to say yet).

I think there were other things, but I forgot :)

I already have been playing the game for the past 3 weeks, and had no problem downloading 1.60.93825, but for some reason, I am running into problems downloading 1.60.94444. Also, to be fair, Six Updater isn't that great, I don't even second guess on not using it, because manual installation isn't really hard to do.

lol

Edited by daze23

Found a Camo suit. tried to put it on.

i heard water for 1 second, then something interesting happend: first i lost al my gear in my main inventory + the camo suit, the suit didnt changed, but i did not spawn in the ocean. i guess this is fixed 1/4.way.

i used the 2nd latest beta patch 9444 (or something)

some strange rollbacks: got back to the last place after a travel, also with gear. got thirst, drank a canteen, then rejoined a server...still thirst and a empty canteen.

same bug

I am unable to connect to any servers, and I am unable to see anything when I play because of some grey tragular shaped things appearing all over the place

Already tested this update and i'm still with loading issues...

Did you update the beta? most of the 1.7.2.1 servers are running ARMA2_OA_Build_94700 now.

We've got a few servers going, but we need more people

Did you update the beta? most of the 1.7.2.1 servers are running ARMA2_OA_Build_94700 now.

We've got a few servers going, but we need more people

My game is 1.7.2, but i replaced the files by the ones in the Experimental 1.7.2.1 and tryed to join on SE 3 server, but i'm still stuck on Loading Screen.

Edited by LeonardoZV

My game is 1.7.2, but i replaced the files by the ones in the Experimental 1.7.2.1 and tryed to join on SE 3 server, but i'm still stuck on Loading Screen.

but are you using the latest Arma 2 beta exe?

not only do you have to install it, you also have to use the arma2oa.exe located in the /expansion/beta folder

To the guy who wants a rollback:

Do you honestly think a rollback is easy and fast like hitting a button? It would take some time and maybe some guys (including me) found better loot until now. Its not good practice in alpha, not even in beta. Your argument is invalid. I AM SO GRATEFUL that rocket released this mod at this early stage so we CAN play now.

------

To the update 1.7.2:

Also experienced lag. On server with ping <30 it was worse then on a server with ping <60. Both times around 25 players on. we lost 1/2 loot trying to drop things on the ground. stuff dissappeared from our bagpacks too. Sometimes other player froze in place. Getting yellow and red symbols frequently, though on the other server it had less of an impact. No broken stuff there. I got rubberbanded/setback once (to a position 10 minutes earlier) but this has happened on 1.7.1.5 also 2 times to me.

Zombies aggroed easier if we were in the open / good to see. They even saw us through window in 3rd appartment floor from 100 meter away and came investigating. Not overly strange behaviours, but sometimes one aggroed from like 100-150m while crouch sneaking through a field.

We found a mp5sd in balota but overall I cant say we found rarer loot. Maybe less trash though and more empty loot spots. Still not sure about this.

Hatchet still needs reloading. But shooting my m1911 I felt that not the whole town of zombies went for me after that.

As I have a pretty decent PC I felt unaffected by fps issues. I only had lower fps (felt like around 15 -20 fps) inside cherno but it was the same before the patch. I have gtx580 OCed but an old core2quad so I blame cpu/hdd speeds, maybe even my FSB speed. Other then that it was very smooth.

~just my experience from around 6 hours of playing

Edited by LOG3

Sweet! :)

Trust me, the 1.7.2.1 build is *awesome* been playing for awhile now. So far, when you click stuff to loot it, there's no more lag so it moves to your inventory instantly. Loading is smoother and faster, fps is waaaay better.

I even had a shitty ping because I live in Canada and I was playing on a UK server, and it was *still* better than I usually get on us servers!

Best update yet! :D

Edited by Cyanyde

Zombies aggro really strange... Me and a pal were sitting on a small hill by the coast north of the bridge at Solnichy and we'd get a random zombie aggro'd on to us from 50-100 meters away. It also was really strange, since it was only 1 at a time when there was a group of like 20, and only the one would aggro. Usually happened right after we killed the one that aggro'd first. I was also using a silenced PP-19 and my friend had his Xbow, so it wasn't sound aggro'ing them. Had to be that new visual aggro thingy... Hope it helps with fixing this patch!

Cheers!

Zombie aggro is WAY off I have bunches of 9 spawing ontop of eachother and aggroing from easily 500m away. I had to roll my server back to 1.7.1.5 as well the host didnt reccomend i update and i can see why by watching my usage graphs skyrocket when I installed 1.7.2.1

Feedback: Excellent job with the new visibility settings. Zombies detect you now quite realistically, and avoiding them is harder, but with patience you can still sneak around them. Very well balanced now!

Tent duplication bug (which apparently is supposed to be fixed in 1.7.1) still remains: https://dev-heaven.net/issues/31449

Sounds from past actions are still being played sometimes when you get close to other survivors: https://dev-heaven.net/issues/33464

We even discussed a full character DB wipe before 1.7.2 to start with a clean slate.

To be honest, I'm down with this. We've been pretty fortunate not to see a ton of character wipes. I think it'd be good for everyone to set the clock back to zero every once in a while until Day Z moves out of Alpha.

To be honest, I'm down with this. We've been pretty fortunate not to see a ton of character wipes. I think it'd be good for everyone to set the clock back to zero every once in a while until Day Z moves out of Alpha.

I'd be down with that. If everyone had to start fresh hey that's fine by my book, but for people to have to start over again because of camo/ghillie suit bug is silly. Honestly I think EVERY major update everyone should start fresh again. This would eliminate the cries of people on here saying we just want out lootz back, when really we just want stability and if that comes with a database wipe of our chars every major update so be it I can be down with that, but I can't be down with losing my equipment right after installing the new update and just logging in for the first time and insta-death. I don't care about my loot, I care about the dev team practicing GOOD practices when it comes to these updates. Yes we are testers and yes the game is an open alpha and we should be glad for that, BUT that doesn't mean the dev team can't take time to have some good common sense practices as far as a plan for when a major update comes out, as it seems now it just seems like rocket does the coding maybe some general testing is done and the update is pushed out the door without any plan on what to do if things go sour.

To the guy who wants a rollback:

Do you honestly think a rollback is easy and fast like hitting a button? It would take some time and maybe some guys (including me) found better loot until now. Its not good practice in alpha, not even in beta. Your argument is invalid. I AM SO GRATEFUL that rocket released this mod at this early stage so we CAN play now.

I know how databases work and how programming works and no it's not as easy as pressing a button, but it's also generally a good practice to keep backups IN CASE something happens. My argument IS valid no matter what stage the game is in, hell even making programs when you're alpha/beta testing you always make backups JUST IN CASE, same with websites and their databases. I fail to see why asking their team to make a backup of the database is not valid? To me from a programmers stand point it only makes sense. But hey, that's just me and yes I've already found what loot I lost again but like I said loot isn't the point. The point is this update was in closed testing for 2-3 weeks, was released with MAJOR bugs right from spawning in causing equipment loss and death (thus losing tents also) as well as statistics etc. which should not have happened for something that was in CLOSED TESTING for this long, especially something THAT obvious. Last minute code changes that weren't checked might be the cause, who knows but my point is still valid. Backups are essential. Why do you think rocket made one the Saturday BEFORE the update was suppose to be released 2-3 weeks ago?

So again explain to me exactly why it's invalid to have a good practice of keeping a backup of the database before a major update to fall back on in case things go sour? Oh yeah that's right, the answer will always be "because it's alpha!", well sorry that's NOT an answer, just an excuse.

Edited by kicktd
  • Like 1

so is it safe to log in with camo / ghillie yet?

cant really find anything helpful anywhere

K,,,, had a bit of fun with this 1.7.2

Was lucky enough to close the game a day before at the edge of a field in the tree line - when I spawned on the server I was 100-150m or so away from a downed chopper. Nothing around it... made 2 steps and about 8 infected came as if they were pouring out of the chopper. I mean all from the same place, and started spreading out on the field around the chopper.

So from 100-150m away I pulled out my Lee Enfield and shot about 3 of them before the rest aggroed, and they were relatively easy to handle ... by the time they approached me I shot two more with the lee, then switched to makarov.

The problem is... finished them all, crouched and basically ran to the chopper, started to look around and go prone to scan under it ... probably not even 2 minutes passed and a couple of soldiers spawned probably 5 meters away from me. Shot one of them with the Makarov and retreated to the forest with the second chasing my ass and as I was watching behind about 4 soldiers spawned again, about one every 3-5 seconds.

So it feels like they might respawn a bit too fast after they die. But not sure if this is a bad thing, maybe choppers should be a bit more hard to loot if you're a single person.

Digging the variable visibility now, I could pretty much go around infected but the visibility variable in the debug box definitely helped to assure me I can't be seen. Near house walls, I can see the visibility going down but there are certain places near the corners of the houses where it seems the decrease is cancelled out.

Strictly on the limited play time (about 5 hours) I would say if the visibility values are decreased by about 5-10% when running crouched and about 10-15% when running straight up, it would be just right.

Even walking crouched is a bit hard in cities, near the north east airport more or less i had to go prone to the mall in that town, which makes lone players quite vulnerable to snipers.

It felt a bit smoother but I wouldn't know if it's game or me messing with the graphics options.

Oh... the UAZ or what it's called (the Jeep)... it felt to me like it was having a hard time (more than before) when going on grass. Same with the buss, it was going kinda slow on those country roads. I was lucky to find a bus and an atv in one place and the jeep in another place so I tried them all. I also saw one hit the fence on the ne airport and explode his atv :)

Edited by mariush

Zombie aggro is much different than before. I saw one way down the street and aggroed him. Must have been at least 20 seconds of walking distance away. Previously I was able to get much much closer. Seems to be more on visual than sound. Does not feel right.

Other than that having fun. Still dying after only a day or so.

• Like 1

so is it safe to log in with camo / ghillie yet?

cant really find anything helpful anywhere

NO it's not safe until the hotfix is out. If you login with camo / ghillie still with 1.7.2 you'll lose inventory and gear, also rare chance of death.