rocket

Build 1.7.2 Rolling Update

1.7.2.1 released.

Read changelog and dl latest files from cdn.

Torrent / sixupdater will follow.

do you mean 7.2.2. perhaps?

or is this in additon to the 7.2.2. rocket announced.

Edited by youSOB

Stepping stone patch for 1.7.2.1 . 1.7.2.2 coming later today :)

Just wanted 1.7.2.1 out incase we dont have time to finish up 1.7.2.2 before weekend rush.

• Like 1

do you mean 7.2.2. perhaps?

or is this in additon to the 7.2.2. rocket announced.

was wondering that 2, rocket announced 1.7.2.2 would be released today and now 1.7.2.1 is released? seems odd

edit: just saw reply from ander ty

Edited by Jordala

Stepping stone patch for 1.7.2.1 . 1.7.2.2 coming later today :)

Just wanted 1.7.2.1 out incase we dont have time to finish up 1.7.2.2 before weekend rush.

With the latest Arma Beta or with 94700 ?

Touche', you are correct. I explained that very poorly.

The fix itself is very easy (simply logging server logins into the database). But the "how" to punish/prevent is proving difficult. Probably worth a serious discussion on the forums in a separate topic. I can detect when someone server hops, or disconnects, but how and when to issue punishment is proving very troublesome.

What about something like this:

Player logs out of server1 in a firefight

Player logs into server2 to find a better spot to flank his enemy

Player logs out of server2

Player tries to log into server1 but he can't because he needs to wait 5 minutes to rejoin his previous server after joining another.

OR

Player tries to log back into server1, but the server realizes his last log out point within 5 minutes is different than what the central server's is. Ghosting is assumed and the game server's last recorded location is used.

I'm not too sure on the whole disconnecting simply to avoid combat, but this should fix ghosting.

1.7.2.2 will be released today

Awesome work Rocket & Co. You guys are truly epic. I hope you get some rest this weekend...you all deserve it.

UPDATE : 13 JULY 2012

Affected addons:

* dayz_code 1.7.2.1

* dayz_anim 0.4

* dayz_server (server admins only)

Developer's Note: 1.7.2.2 slated for release soon.

Changelog:

* [FIXED] Issues forcing ghillie and camo skin removal on login.

* [FIXED] Arma X players should be able to play on updated 1.7.2.1 servers.

* [NEWS] Various performance tweaks that didn't make it in to 1.7.2.

Known issues:

* Zombie behavior and clean up requires further tweaks (excessive spawns).

Log looked like this 1 hour ago, has been changed since then...

Edited by Jukez

...Many of the people who are first to demand fixes to items ASAP as game-breakers are the first to complain when fixes are added and then cause more bugs.
Don't let the b******s grind you down Rocket!

This has probably been posted before however I think if its not too hard to implement the best method to tackle disconnection is to approach it in the same way as an MMORPG, since there are similarities between the two, in other words a timer of about ten seconds when the abort button is clicked. That way the player cant simply DC right in the heat of combat, I'm just not too sure how this would prevent alt+f4'ing, maybe change it so that if you alt+f4 your character doesnt actually disconnect for 10 seconds if possible? Like I say I don't know how hard it is to implement something like this so forgive me if its an unreasonable suggestion.

• Like 1

1.7.2.1 released.

Read changelog and dl latest files from cdn.

Torrent / sixupdater will follow.

Dfq with 6updater? No updates.

Edited by Houken691

Personally I quite like the way they are going about this. Sometimes they might break the game with a patch, and sometimes that 'silly thing' they added might revolutionize the game. The thing is that I am sure that the team are gauging opinion.

I get the impression from the interviews that Dean himself does not know where this thing is going but I also get the impression he'll know when he gets there. This is kind of exciting and pretty revolutionary when it comes to games development. On the plus side it's going to allow for some pretty crazy ideas to be implemented which never would if this was a traditional design workflow. On the negative side it's going to allow for some pretty crazy ideas to be implemented which never would if..... My point is that it's going to result in some things that work, some things that don't work and some things that outright break the game along with a few things that may revolutionize gaming as we know it perhaps.

So, I would say that it's OK to bitch and moan about something (as this will help gauge the mechanics), but you have to do it in the knowledge that most things are added to the game just to 'see what happens'!

I am loving it really. As a developer myself it kind of reminds me of those rare occasions where you get to prototype something rather than follow a strict design. Sometimes stuff you try works and sometimes it doesn't - either way you generally learn something and it's a damn sight more fun!

Looking forward to playing with the next beta release!

• Like 1

10 second delayed dc won't really do all that much. Hide behind a wall and dc, while the other guy is a 45 second jog away.

In some circumstances this may be the case but alot of the times people disconnect right as they engage in combat or zombie aggro, this would deffinitely prevent instant DC atleast when being chased after by zombies, or if the player is right on your arse as opposed to the situation where your sniping the player and then they have time to hide behind the wall and DC if the sniper missed or whatever. I really think it would tackle most of the exploitation.

Edited by Lengalicious

Thanks for the hotfix dudes, hopefully the issue with ghillies will be sorted soon since i found one a bit earlier ;).

Please remember we play this mod to test, not for fun.

Nope, speak for yourself, mate. The only reason I play it (and bought ArmA 2: CO to do so) is because, in spite of all the bugs and broken updates and being an early tester, it's FUN, period. In all honesty, if this mod's theme didn't massively appeal to me (which it does) and it wasn't fun, there's no way I would waste my time (or money) being an alpha tester for it. Why would I? Why would anyone?

No, I'm mainly invoived because I love the mod and think it's incredibly fun to play...not to be a tester (for its own sake). And if DayZ wasn't fun, I'd be gone fast, to play games that are. :)

Rocket - I have write this propositions to all possible places (forum, bug-tracker, suppot). Please hear me!!! Or you will lost lots of people when they get dissapointed waiting for the solution of this main gameplay problems. All of my friends are one leg to stop playing DayZ because of DC.

Bear traps and other new features are not the main things on which you should focus.

I propose five simple things to solve the problem with DC:

1) To disconnect from the server player should perform action "Logout" from the game menu. This action starts a 30 seconds (or more) timer. If player moved from his place then action is canceling like other actions in game (bandaging etc.) and should be performed again. When timer ends up a logout screen displayed (like "you are dead" screen) saying that "you can exit now". If player close game from task manager or alt+f4 his character becomes AI, lay on the ground (to have less visibility to zombies) and stays in place for same time like timer. If you do not want to be killed offline - do not use Alt+F4, but logout normally, when you can control situation during logout.

2) When player connecting the server some notification (sound or text) displays for all players around 100m to inform them that area becomes not clear. It avoid spawning and killing other players from their back. Players will have possibility to switch server to go behind you and try to kill you, like now, but they will not do this, because of risk to be killed, because victim will know that you are connecting somewhere near, and because of timer described in p.5.

3) Disable Respawn button in mission config file. It will avoid players to select respawn place by continous respawn. If some one stucks he can try to relogin to unstuck or kill himself or die from hunger.

4) Server can not start the game if there is less then 20 players on it. If there is less then 20 players you should select another server with more than 20 players on it. It prevent players to use empty servers to move to long distances and fill safe.

5) Make time out between disconnecting and connecting to another server (e.g. 10 min) by logging connection and disconnection time and server ID, but allow to connect to the same server without delay (in case you lost connection or game crushed). I hope it will make less players play unfair.

Implementing this features in complex will make huge improvement of fair gameplay and will prevent dissapointing of huge number of players.

Edited by SuffiXUA
  • Like 1

SuffiXUA, most of that won't work. The logout method is not a bad idea and i approve of the removal of respawn (though this might not be possible) but the rest is unfeasible. What if i'm playing on one server and my friends come on and we want to play on another server? i have to wait ten minutes? you can't defeat cheats by affecting legitimate player's experience. Same with the sound/text notification if they are close to you. Yes, this might help stop "doctor who'ing" but is unfair for someone who just happens to log on to a server near another player as they won't know someone is near but the player already connected will.

i do like the mmo style wait to logout thing though - perhaps 30 seconds is a bit long though, 10 seconds should do it imo.

• Like 1

The fix itself is very easy (simply logging server logins into the database). But the "how" to punish/prevent is proving difficult. Probably worth a serious discussion on the forums in a separate topic. I can detect when someone server hops, or disconnects, but how and when to issue punishment is proving very troublesome.

To avoid any sort of punishment, initially you may fix the most frustrating situation (because you die of it...): those players that disconnects to reposition on another server to come back on the same server to kill you suddendly.

This is an easy fix: if you *change* the server (so it won't affect who goes to the lobby just to have a coffee) you cannot come back to the previous server within 1 hour. So if you simply go to the lobby, or if your connections drops.. you can come back to the same server, in the same position; but if you go intentionally to another server, you cannot come back to the previous one (the reasons you need to do that for legit reasons are few or not existant).

Yes, it won't solve the problem of those disconnecting to avoid death.. but at least it will solve the problem with the server interdimensional tacti-trasnporters! :)

One step more in the right direction...

• Like 3

SuffiXUA, most of that won't work. The logout method is not a bad idea and i approve of the removal of respawn (though this might not be possible) but the rest is unfeasible. What if i'm playing on one server and my friends come on and we want to play on another server? i have to wait ten minutes? you can't defeat cheats by affecting legitimate player's experience. Same with the sound/text notification if they are close to you. Yes, this might help stop "doctor who'ing" but is unfair for someone who just happens to log on to a server near another player as they won't know someone is near but the player already connected will.

i do like the mmo style wait to logout thing though - perhaps 30 seconds is a bit long though, 10 seconds should do it imo.

Plus, you have to think about emergency situations.

If something happened like your power suddenly going out, does that mean you deserve to be at risk?

Do not logout in public places, search safe place before logout to be shure that you will not login beside 10 people, and play always in one server. Why people think that switching servers is a normal gameplay? I do not propose to make character attached to the server (because it is only 50 slots), but as for me it also will be a good solution of problems.

Legitimate player's should feel the situation and understand that we cannot eliminate cheaters and unfair players without some restrictions for legitimate players. As fo me - I will better wait 10 minutes if i will know that it will fix DC and other unfair things.

And about power lost - you characer will automaticly lie down to make you less visible. And power lost is less frequent than unfair gameplay usage.

Edited by SuffiXUA

Cant find the 1.7.2.2 changelog and people have been asking for it but noone posted something relevant with a link. Anyone care to share it ?

I don't think punishment should come after the fact, from looking at logs. I think the system needs to be changed to accommodate for player logins and logouts to prevent any kind of disruption.

I would suggest:

• Logout timer: need to e.g. sit down for 30 seconds before logging out.
  • Login and logout notifications (both in chat, and to nearby players with visual and sound).
  • Possibly a short login timer (not necessarily needed if sufficient notification for login is provided prior to instantiation).

This solves the problem more naturally, by giving players a real incentive to not disconnect in the middle of a fight, or to login/logout in crowded areas where the notifications reveal their position and put them in a tough situation.

• Like 2