Kyiara

Experimental Update 1.14 (Changelog)

Ok, yesterday didn't hear or see a single artillery barrage but today it was three strikes in close proximity within 20 minutes or so. Two of them followed really soon one after another. It also seemed like the artillery was purposefully hitting near us (poor Gorka). 

Some clarification on how it is supposed to work would be nice. I hope it is not purposefully hitting near players.

I agree that it is quite odd and furthers the divide between gameplay and environment. Chernarus is a map which seems to be abandonned for years, by state of some things, yet we have active survivors and seemingly active military presence with helicopters and now artillery. Perhaps on Livonia which feels more like it's hours or a few days tops after the event this is more fitting. But I guess we can't expect a refresh of Chernarus. 

Edited by William Sternritter
  • Beans 1

15 hours ago, GamerWarrior2000 said:

1.14 works perfect for me don't know what all the complaining is about. Guess I just know how computers work.

You're an idiot. The DayZ experimental servers are unstable at the moment and the devs have already acknowledged and confirmed the issue, saying they will release a patch on Monday to resolve the crashes.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BrotherPlum said:

You're an idiot. The DayZ experimental servers are unstable at the moment and the devs have already acknowledged and confirmed the issue, saying they will release a patch on Monday to resolve the crashes.

You haven't blocked him yet? 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 1

Players - "Please give us more PVE!"

Dev - "OK, here's some toxic zones. Some static one like were talked about years ago and some random ones to really keep you on your toes."

Players - "We didn't want something that's random or you know... hard. We wanted something in the same place every time that we can run in/out without having to find NBC or care. We certainly don't want high end weapons to only spawn there.  This ruins my build anywhere, unlimited stamina, trader/atm/banking, no shoe/glove/clothes damage, less zombie, bullet stack/stack, no infections server."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, helpthedeadwalk said:

"We didn't want something that's random or you know... hard.

Nothing hard about logging in Staroye, just to find yourself in a gas cloud in a minute... random =/= hard (and yes, i once got caught by a gas cloud that way, and once i almost got caught by it)
I'm all for static zones, but dynamic zones need an audible warning too (maybe)...

IDK... all I know is that I like static zones, but I'm unsure about dynamic zones. It's cool but, I dunno... Game used to feel as if the whole world is taken over by the infection, and now we have random artillery strikes from nowhere?

29 minutes ago, helpthedeadwalk said:

How about wild boars that actually attack players sometimes? or goats that headbutt?
Static zones are a good PVE change.

Nobody said anything about random zones being hard... everyone is mostly saying that it doesn't feel like it fits into the whole game that we used to know... it doesn't feel right...
Maybe it's time for changes, maybe it's time for us to change. Who knows...

DayZ certainly changed. 1.14 is an interesting patch, and I can't wait for servers to be more stable to play it more.

Edited by DefectiveWater
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 1

The dynamic toxic zones are so frequent... they should be a lot rarer. Now they are cool because are new, but I think they will become annoying quickly, instead of they are rarer they'll keep its attractive in the gameplay. I would make them to see one each couple of in game days or so. I like the two static ones, though.

Moreover, I like that Tisy is not a static toxic zone, because it adds variety to military bases, and it is far enough from the fresh spawn area. The guns wear out too much with just firing a couple of mags, this applies to all weapons, but they are more noticeable in pistols since they are used more to kill zeds.

BTW, very nice little details like the headgear effects. Finally, sunglasses block sun rays 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 1

Did anyone manage to verify if you can hear transmission before arty strikes? It would definitely add an edge knowing where it's headed. Either hunting for them or being in town and knowing it's coming, so you quickly switch to NBC gear. 

Also, I hope woodland NBC is coming soon 🙂

• Haha 1

I don't get these dynamic contamination zones.  Who's shooting this stuff at us?  I thought that there was a contagious virus that wiped out society.  There's people left firing gas bombs at us?  Did the infection only hit Chernarus?  Seeing as how we're all going through a real life pandemic right now, it's hard to imagine that a contagious virus would limit itself to such a small area, especially considering incubation stages.  How are these gas bombs authentic in any way at all?   Who's launching these things?  Gas canisters that rain down assault rifles and Infected that look like clowns.  I hadn't realized that modern military technology was able to fit assault rifles and roleplaying infected into a launchable canister. 

Players log in and die right away because of the containment zone, losing days worth of progress to a mechanic they can't control.    But wait!  There is a way!  If you log in, and you find yourself in the middle of an inevitable death sentence, you can just log out and go play a different game.  There might be a chance that if you log in tomorrow that the gas wont be there and you might live.  This is the most logical move to survive at all costs versus random mechanics!

Dynamic containment zones just applied a huge nerf to an already weak base building system.  The best attribute that a base can have for small groups is being inconspicuous.   That also meant bases in towns.  Now base cover in towns is not really possible.  Base cover in towns is important because bases in the forest are worthless.  A regular fence wall with metal and full barb wire  can easily be jumped over with a truck or canopy tent + car.  

Honestly, the best move right now is to just create multiple accounts to store my loot on.  Console already has that option right?

Does anyone who thought this mechanic out (dynamic containment events) have any of their fingers on the pulse of the meta?  Seems totally random, nonsensical, and barely relating to the current mechanics.

Edited by Parazight
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Beans 3

34 minutes ago, Parazight said:

Players log in and die right away

Nah you get teleported away to a safe zone apparently (magic...).
If you Log in like a minute before (what happened to me), you are just wandering around then you hear a "whooooooooooosh BOOOOOM" and then you start immediately running outside, but you still do occasionally get caught a bit.
I got only 1 cut, but I managed to survive.

34 minutes ago, Parazight said:

I hadn't realized that modern military technology was able to fit assault rifles and roleplaying infected into a launchable canister. 

Wait, I saw NBC infected in towns, but does it spawn better loot too? that's kinda... meh? I dunno...
I don't get why NBC infected get spawned there in the first place... doesn't make sense from realism perspective, which this game is trying to simulate and be authentic experience.

Overall I agree with your comment, so have some beans from me.

Edited by DefectiveWater
  • Confused 1
  • Beans 1

25 minutes ago, Parazight said:

I don't get these dynamic contamination zones.  Who's shooting this stuff at us?  I thought that there was a contagious virus that wiped out society.  There's people left firing gas bombs at us?  Did the infection only hit Chernarus?  Seeing as how we're all going through a real life pandemic right now, it's hard to imagine that a contagious virus would limit itself to such a small area, especially considering incubation stages.  How are these gas bombs authentic in any way at all?   Who's launching these things?  Gas canisters that rain down assault rifles and Infected that look like clowns.  I hadn't realized that modern military technology was able to fit assault rifles and roleplaying infected into a launchable canister. 

So this is what I don't get at all, it was obvious that the strike also deployed NBC infected. That is silly. Instead of having NBC infected randomly in towns who would be immune.

It killed regular infected which is good, I would understand that part. Military is poisoning the towns under pretense that they are killing infected. However; why then have static zones? Make them all random.

And of course the other silliness is that some infected die and others are spawned in to replace them. Until the cloud dissapates, town is full of infected again. So I guess there is the brief window if you have NBC gear to loot.  But why would you do that in a town with common loot? Or does the zone also spawns in extra loot?

Edited by William Sternritter
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 1

3 minutes ago, costavojik said:

What does your computer has to do with server lagging?

just put him on ignore/block in your account settings... such an obvious low effort troll.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, helpthedeadwalk said:

Dev - "OK, here's some toxic zones. Some static one like were talked about years ago and some random ones to really keep you on your toes."

Players - "We didn't want something that's random or you know... hard. We wanted something in the same place every time that we can run in/out without having to find NBC or care. We certainly don't want high end weapons to only spawn there.  This ruins my build anywhere, unlimited stamina, trader/atm/banking, no shoe/glove/clothes damage, less zombie, bullet stack/stack, no infections server."

Nobody asked random toxic strikes to random civilian towns that do not even spawn military loot. Makes no sense whatsoever. RNG ≠ Hard. If anything, people have been wanting tisy to be a permanent toxic zone quite awhile now.

Personally I'm playing on a hardcore server that has 7 different toxic zones already. The only way this would make any sense, is if they would get rid of those stupid airstrikes and add Mi-26 or something that is carrying something toxic and it would crash into the town. Which could also explain the random NBC zeds. However it would still make more sense to make those random airstrikes target every possible military place instead of civilian towns.

Edited by 'AZAZEL'
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

If it's lore thing then it makes sense - gassing towns in hope of killing all those nasty infected. It's not about level of equipment but rather about sweeping. Testing as well.

Edited by nemorus
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nemorus said:

If it's lore thing then it makes sense - gasing towns in hope of killing all those nasty infected. It's not about level of equipment but rather about sweeping. Testing as well.

The internationally accepted Chemical Weapons Convention of 1993 prohibits all development, production, acquisition, stockpiling, and/or transfer of such weapons.  Besides, if there were people to launch gas bombs, then that means the virus can be contained, which destroys all the other lore.  And if it can be contained, why not just shoot the rest of the infected?

18 minutes ago, Parazight said:

The internationally accepted Chemical Weapons Convention of 1993 prohibits all development, production, acquisition, stockpiling, and/or transfer of such weapons.  Besides, if there were people to launch gas bombs, then that means the virus can be contained, which destroys all the other lore.  And if it can be contained, why not just shoot the rest of the infected?

Survivors are immune, so why would other immune people destroy the lore? Dealing with infected up close is dangerous and survivors are stretched thin, it makes sense to use means of mass destruction. I would say that such extraordinary events may favor breaking some rules, if there even is a governing body to enforce them anymore. Also, not sure if it's 1993 already in the world of DayZ 😄 

27 minutes ago, William Sternritter said:

Dealing with infected up close is dangerous and survivors are stretched thin, it makes sense to use means of mass destruction.

If this was the case though, wouldn't you get the hell out of Dodge?  It just doesn't make sense.  If this virus was contained to just Chernarus (or whatever map you're on), it wouldn't make one iota of sense for someone immune to stick around.  Surely, you would get out of the infected area if you could see the military was bombing it.  It definitely ruins the lore.

Static toxic zones make sense, dynamic don't.

1 hour ago, nemorus said:

If it's lore thing then it makes sense - gassing towns in hope of killing all those nasty infected. It's not about level of equipment but rather about sweeping. Testing as well.

Maybe this is the beginning of something along the lines of story in Chernarus, kinda like the story that plays out on Namalsk. On Namalsk, you can find a number of documents that suggest that a scientific group were carrying out some sort of experiment and it perhaps might of led to the infection that wiped out most of humanity. Now, that may be just my reading of it. But it certainly came across that way.

But, the problem with these toxic arty strikes is who and why. Who's left to be doing it? Why are they doing it?

The very fact that they exist at all means there's a military presence left in Chernarus. But it wouldn't really make any sense that they would be firing random toxic shells into areas that might have a few civvies knocking around though. What they are doing it for might be for testing purposes...to see if it has an affect on the infected? But again, they're also killing civvies too. Also, in "reality" (yeh I know it's just a game), if you were a survivor of this type of apocalyptic scenario, you'd probably try and find out where this military presence was and seek them out for shelter. Or at least to not be at risk of their bombardment.

I mean, sure, it adds an extra touch of mild difficulty to the game. But it just doesn't really make any sense in the context of the game itself. It's a curious development to say the least.

1 minute ago, drgullen said:

If this was the case though, wouldn't you get the hell out of Dodge?  It just doesn't make sense.  If this virus was contained to just Chernarus (or whatever map you're on), it wouldn't make one iota of sense for someone immune to stick around.  Surely, you would get out of the infected area if you could see the military was bombing it.  It definitely ruins the lore.

Static toxic zones make sense, dynamic don't.

There are survivors on "the ground" and there are survivors elsewhere. People calling in the artillery may not even know that there are other survivors. Don't know how about you, but I never wanted to stay there, it's just the game loop. Yes it would make sense if this is some years or whatever into the apocalypse and that's all you have. If that is the case, I tend to agree with you, unless this is some reclamation phase and the lore moved on.

But to me DayZ always seemed like it's happening around the event, you just got left behind or lost and now you have to survive getting out of there. I mean otherwise it makes no sense why you're starting on the shore with nothing, unless you were trying to leave in a rush but didn't make it. 

So it makes sense that we have military choppers still trying to fly out but crashing, calling in strikes to deal with infected this way and meanwhile you're on the ground trying to escape. 

2 hours ago, 'AZAZEL' said:

Nobody asked random toxic strikes to random civilian towns that do not even spawn military loot. Makes no sense whatsoever. RNG ≠ Hard. If anything, people have been wanting tisy to be a permanent toxic zone quite awhile now.

Personally I'm playing on a hardcore server that has 7 different toxic zones already. The only way this would make any sense, is if they would get rid of those stupid airstrikes and add Mi-26 or something that is carrying something toxic and it would crash into the town. Which could also explain the random NBC zeds. However it would still make more sense to make those random airstrikes target every possible military place instead of civilian towns.

So ignore the artillery strikes and the lore conflict it seems to have caused. Pretend its an Mi-26. Either way you have dynamic toxic zones. My complaint with static zones is that it just turns into a player routine really quickly.  You're playing on a modded server anyway which was my other point.

• Beans 1

10 hours ago, DefectiveWater said:

I'm all for static zones, but dynamic zones need an audible warning too (maybe)...

What do you think the loud artillery explosion sounds are for? This is literally the warning. 

• Haha 1

The Toxic Zones are great. Devs, please ignore people complaining about the difficulty level. This is exactly the kind of thing this game, especially the vanilla servers, need. 

This update needs some sort of flashbang effect upon log-in so that players can't just X-ray scan every structure within the nearest half-kilometer.

Can we make radiators like, 3 times as durable, please?

Will there be a server wipe with this update.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

3 hours ago, thepoey said:

The Toxic Zones are great. Devs, please ignore people complaining about the difficulty level. This is exactly the kind of thing this game, especially the vanilla servers, need. 

I agree.  Dynamic toxic zones would be great for hardcore vanilla servers.

• Beans 1