boggle

Tips for returning player?

It's been a couple years since I've played. Seems like food is non-existent. I used to be able to craft a stone knife at the beach, run into the woods and survive on crafting improvised gear.

Now, if you don't find food in the first 15 minutes of gameplay, you die. What is the trick because it seems they've neutered many features made everything more difficult. Not complaining, just wondering what everyone's strategy is. Or is it all simply luck now? Thanks

"(...)Problem is that I can't get inland far enough to get loot, by that time I am nearly dead. Although, I forgot that cannibalism is a thing....maybe I'll have to resort to that until I figure out a better strategy...is kuru back in? with all of it's side affects?(...)"

It is - you start eating humans and you can't stop for everything else won't work later on.

1) - do not sprint when you don't need to, for it drains your energy very quickly.

2) - visit well and drink a lot (on 1.12 you could repeat drinking animation - 32 times exactly before puking). Do not drink from ponds or rivers for it's not safe anymore . If you're forced to drink from environment, then remember to use chlorine tablets on your water container or boil it. If you get cholera then tetracycline pills are a solid way to get better.

3) - do not make assumptions based on full icons. Full icons are displayed when stomach is filled in like 10 - maybe 20%. You can eat and drink a lot more than that. And remember: it's not a race. Take your time when consuming.

4.) -

The best start is all about getting a knife. You can find some small rocks on railroads and tourist trails. Just like fruits beneath trees rocks won't spawn immediately - you need to be in a vicinity for some time. And if you spot some right away then be careful for it means that other players were close. Pickaxe and sledgehammer can also help with that because you can mine in current "DayZ" (https://dayz.fandom.com/wiki/Boulder). Splitting large stones gives a lot of smaller ones. With knife in hand it's time to get some fishing hooks. You can find them occasionally on the beach, near small fishing boats, but you need something better than a chance. Use your ears and get yourself a chicken. Kill, take the bones and use a knife on them to craft a few hooks. You can also use human bones for fishing purposes - you won't get kuru from that. Fishing rod can be found (small fishing boats, cargo containers...) or crafted [long stick(some bushes and smaller trees) + rope(6 rags+6 rags)].

Fishing needs some patience but in the end it works. Use a knife on fishes to get some juicy fillets. The more the better. You can later break down your fishing rod to use long stick as a cooking utensil. You can sharpen it with knife and use it to cook, although it takes too much time in my opinion. It's better to use a pre-built fireplace in one of the houses. Open inventory near one of those fireplaces and add fuel (any type of wood really) and kindling (paper or a dry rag) to it. Ignite it with matches, lighter, flare or crafted hand drill kit (bark+short stick). Place fillets via menu in dedicated slots or by hand. And then you wait. Don't keep it too long for it may burn; When you hear crackling sounds it means it's ready. Also remember about smoke. Other players can see that and may stalk you for whatever reason.

5.) - After drinking and eating it's finally time to get some loot. Always look first for bandages and tetracycline. Do not treat infected like dirt but rather as a way to deal with aggresive players. Different clothing has different insulation levels (you can see that information in item's description window) - not very useful on chernorus map but on Namalsk it's quite important. And that's pretty much it. Community servers are better for longterm adventures and basebuilding purposes and vanilla for everything else.

4 hours ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

Do NOT touch vehicles, unless you like death.

drove a gunter round the edge of topolin last night, not a single game freeze 🤷‍♂️ the server was medium too, almost high pop. loving this new update. 

11 hours ago, rackinglad27 said:

drove a gunter round the edge of topolin last night, not a single game freeze 🤷‍♂️ the server was medium too, almost high pop. loving this new update. 

Don't worry, it won't last long.

Just saw all of your replies, thank you all. Didn't get notified for some reason. Anyway, it basically sounds the same as before, except rocks are harder to find, in order to make a knife. Plus it seems like the negative effects are all accelerated. 

Disappointing that they removed broken legs. Not surprised in the slightest that the vehicles are still broken. Are they still space ships? That's probably the biggest black eye for this new engine, complete joke. 

Basically, it just sounds like all they did to make it more "extreme" was make everything more tedious. Might just go back to Deadside, but I can't get over how bad games look with the Unreal Engine. DayZ has always looked amazing.

Edited by boggle
  • Confused 1

what do u mean with "removed legs"? 😕

stones, fruits, mushrooms spawn nearby players. so that shouldnt be an issue. for example if u need stones to craft a knife - check the dirtpaths/railroads - no stones? loot the nearby buildings and check again - plenty spawned meanwhile.

vehicles work fine for me; but im not playing on official servers. those might have a too high ping limit - or whatever reason.

deadside is very very different to dayz - might as well go play fortnite^^

My god I was retarded yesterday. I meant removed broken legs. lol

plenty spawned meanwhile.

Does anyone know roughly the radius around you, and for how long you must be there, for things to start spawning?

Deadside is very different to CURRENT dayz. Early SA was much more PVP oriented. Deadside has hunger and thirst, base building, crafting, etc. It's not too far off of DayZ except it's not marketed or intended to be a survival game. 

I love DayZ SA, and don't regret buying into EA, but bc of the piss poor design scope and project planning, I will never buy another EA game again. And I thank them for that lol. 

1 hour ago, boggle said:

My god I was retarded yesterday. I meant removed broken legs. lol

Broken legs are in

12 hours ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Broken legs are in

Yeah but you just limp around right? I mean broken where you have to crawl. 

3 hours ago, boggle said:

Yes, the mechanic is different from how it used to be. I guess that makes the game uNpLaYaBlE

4 hours ago, boggle said:

Broken leg = you have to crawl or make a split that makes you limp without being able to sprint.

• Like 1

Awesome! So they really did at it back in. Nice. I've had some really intense moments with broken legs, crawling around. One time in a medical hut I had several guys trying to come in through multiple entrances. Took them all out but by the end I was crawling around and gunning the last guy down as he was peeking my door

Edited by boggle

3 hours ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Yes, the mechanic is different from how it used to be. I guess that makes the game uNpLaYaBlE

No its not that bad. But there are other mechanics that aren't just different, they are game changing that changes the entire Playstyle of the game. You can't really bash someone that is no longer interested in something if it's been changed to something completely different than what it once was. 

Nice to see the fanboys are still sucking the teet of BI. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/23/2021 at 10:57 AM, boggle said:

No its not that bad. But there are other mechanics that aren't just different, they are game changing that changes the entire Playstyle of the game. You can't really bash someone that is no longer interested in something if it's been changed to something completely different than what it once was. 

Nice to see the fanboys are still sucking the teet of BI. 

Your main complaint seems to be that you struggle to get off the coast because you can't find food and that the broken leg mechanic has changed slightly. 

Food really isn't an issue once you know what you're doing. There are stones all over, though I've never needed to make a knife because it's easy to find knives just by looting. 

Not sure why you feel the need to attack people that are simply giving you advice. 

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

I guess that makes the game uNpLaYaBlE

My response was to this comment. So take it my response however you'd like. 

You say it's easy to loot knives? Where do you typically find them? I spent two hours last night and looted 3 small villages and various barns and deer stands and never found a knife. I find hatchets periodically which helps though. I did finally find some stones last night to make a knife on a hiking trail. But I was dinking around in the village near it for quite some time. What is typically the amount of time required for stuff to spawn? Like 5 minutes?

On a side note, is there a particular optimal method for killing infected now without taking damage? I watched TRMZ on twitch and looks like you hit them to stagger them then time it just right so you hit them before they hit you to stagger them again? Is this the best approach?

And one last question, do the water bottles need to be disinfected or does the water just need to be purified or taken from a fountain?

Currently there is no need to cleanse any water container by default - unless... Unless the user was sick. In that scenario container must be disinfected.

this is old question, when you find a canteen/bottle water you have to pour it on ground and then refill at fountain......this is not sickness-free at 100%, there will be players that says ok, i can say that got a sickness after doing that, so if you can "clean" container do it 

37 minutes ago, supernick said:

this is old question, when you find a canteen/bottle water you have to pour it on ground and then refill at fountain......this is not sickness-free at 100%, there will be players that says ok, i can say that got a sickness after doing that, so if you can "clean" container do it 

You do not need to clean a water bottle, as long as you completely empty it first and either refill at a pump or add chlorine tablets to any water source. 

On 7/19/2021 at 5:16 AM, boggle said:

It's been a couple years since I've played. Seems like food is non-existent. I used to be able to craft a stone knife at the beach, run into the woods and survive on crafting improvised gear.

Now, if you don't find food in the first 15 minutes of gameplay, you die. What is the trick because it seems they've neutered many features made everything more difficult. Not complaining, just wondering what everyone's strategy is. Or is it all simply luck now? Thanks

I find food by killing zombies, checking houses, killing animals or checking fruit trees. Normally have not problem surviving early game. In this build you can get sick very easily if you do not monitor your temperature and you also loose a lot of food/water when your temp. is low (love it ;-)) So first thing I would suggest is finding a knife or making one, make a fire and get the heat buff. This helps, then find some warm clothes and food. You can still find stones, actually I see more stones now then I have ever seen in the game. Start to move North as soon as you can as there are more items and better loot. Most people are getting stuck on the coast because they do not know how to survive. 

16 hours ago, ShallowTech said:

I find food by killing zombies, checking houses, killing animals or checking fruit trees. Normally have not problem surviving early game. In this build you can get sick very easily if you do not monitor your temperature and you also loose a lot of food/water when your temp. is low (love it ;-)) So first thing I would suggest is finding a knife or making one, make a fire and get the heat buff. This helps, then find some warm clothes and food. You can still find stones, actually I see more stones now then I have ever seen in the game. Start to move North as soon as you can as there are more items and better loot. Most people are getting stuck on the coast because they do not know how to survive. 

Yeah I've found killing infected is the best way to get canned food. Regarding temps, even when I have the pea coat that has high insulation, and a hat with high insulation, and some jeans, I get cold super fast. What is the trick here? We have to make fires every 20min?

Wring out your clothing from rain water and after swimming. Look for best insulation. Waterproof clothing is also a nice thing to have.

Do you ever enjoy the journey of discovery?  Do you ever feel like your accomplishments are diminished because you just looked up all the answers?  Have you considered a job in the census bureau?

3 hours ago, boggle said:

Yeah I've found killing infected is the best way to get canned food. Regarding temps, even when I have the pea coat that has high insulation, and a hat with high insulation, and some jeans, I get cold super fast. What is the trick here? We have to make fires every 20min?

Every item you wear has insulation, Just make sure you choose the best ones to wear.  Its also based on tradeoff, meaning a helmet is Nice for protection but bad for insulation.

Well, I've joined the Trumps wall server and it's awesome. Loot everywhere (about what it was pre 1.0, on average), including pop. No stamina gets used when sprinting. Night times are quite as dark either. Almost TOO easy but I like it for now. 

I think the modded servers are where it's at. It's breathed new life into this game for me. 2000 hours of gameplay pre beta and I thought this game was done for me. However, I'm now not going to be getting shit done around house.....