THEGordonFreeman

The Awesome Vehicle Thread

I feel bad for the console plebes.  You guys were snookered really bad.  All that console money BI got, and THIS is the result.  This thread exists, so future generations understand EXACTLY what they are getting into if they think about buying DayZ.

Edited by THEGordonFreeman
  • Haha 1

I must be blessed. Still haven't had a vehicle do weird shit yet. Been driving a truck around cherno all week without issues. Good old og xbox one ;\

• Beans 1

On 12/9/2021 at 1:15 PM, THEGordonFreeman said:

I feel bad for the console plebes.  You guys were snookered really bad.  All that console money BI got, and THIS is the result.  This thread exists, so future generations understand EXACTLY what they are getting into if they think about buying DayZ.

If a person has a console and is unaware that there are differences between every single computer game and every single console game of the same title, I feel bad for them too. Other than that most of them probably know what they're paying for or just aren't that hardcore about flashing lights that they stare at for countless hours. Either way, I guess a sandpaper hand job is better than no job at all. Some people are just waiting for the devs to get the right experience on the team or for the next one in the series. I feel bad for the people who got snookied, but rome wasn't built overnight and I'm not going to hold this company to grandiose standards. Meh, this game is an ok start for what it could be, I want to see how much of its potential it lives up to.

@THEGordonFreeman Every few weeks, I think to myself, “Maybe I will build the CarZ this weekend.” Then I read this forum! Haha. 

My experience with VehicleZ (excluding when I was a passenger)

• sample=about 8 Volga, 2 Gunther, 5 ADA
  • internet=200+ Mb
  • server=vanilla official / 6-30 pop

33% Shot At or Killed by survivors (overlaps with other categories)

20% Lag Teleport to undriveable position, nothing wrong with engine

33% Lag Freeze warps vehicle movement causing a wreck

20% Dice Roll / Bouncing without wreck or death (overlaps with other categories)

~7% Dice Roll / Bouncing with wreck

~7% Straight GTA’d when I got out and left it running, back when you still could

27% Stolen while offline or in a different location

~7% Solid Performance (reckless speeding resulted in wreck, vehicle was Olga)

00% Death from Lag / Dice Roll

100% Minor to Major Lag / Loading

In my experience, driving in DayZ will result in some sort of car trouble more than half the time, and the rest of the time you’re getting shot at or waiting for someone to steal it.

Edited by EzyStriderPS4

On 12/11/2021 at 1:16 AM, Namenick420 said:

I guess a sandpaper hand job is better than no job at all.

Your description of the current situation regarding vehicles has earned you THE BEST QUOTE ABOUT VEHICLES IN DAYZ IN 2021 and also my beans.  Spot on.....
Also.....

Also, I can't help but wonder if BI purposefully doesn't fix cars because of unfortunate, but funny moments like this...

Players work so hard for vehicles, they just don't want to give them up even when they are faced with ridiculously horrible odds of keeping their cars in running shape.  Why is it OK for the physics to be broken and kill players and progression for no reason whatsoever?  Why does BI continue to allow this to occur? 

Just because they can and they know that nothing will happen either way. No standards. I've seen a video from the "ARMA 2" posted here and that was just... a sad experience. So many years have passed and the game regressed in many areas. You would think that newer equals better, but is it?

5 minutes ago, Myrec said:

This is new DayZ?

That video? Probably not. Not saying DayZ 2 on a new engine isn't a possibility, but I think that's ARMA or In-Engine demo. But who knows... could be?

Edited by DefectiveWater

12 hours ago, DefectiveWater said:

That video? Probably not. Not saying DayZ 2 on a new engine isn't a possibility, but I think that's ARMA or In-Engine demo. But who knows... could be?

Previous leaks about the still unannounced first full Enfusion title said that it will be an Arma "light" thing to showcase what the engine can do more than anything. There was not a lot of detailed information and any amount of the info could very well be false - but on one screenshot you could clearly see the M16A2 model that was soon after implemented into DayZ. So the footage from these Enfusion videos is without doubt from that showcase title. I doubt the full Enfusion launch will affect DayZ much at all, at least to begin with. The likelyhood that DayZ is fully ported over to Enfusion is next to zero unless Enfusion is so extremely flexible that it can be done with minimum effort. This bit on the Enfusion site gives some info:

At the time of DayZ's launch out of Early Access, however, many things were still missing to make the engine package complete, particularly some of the tools necessary for building game worlds and creating game assets. That’s why DayZ remained a hybrid of old and new technology.

So maps and assets are basically still built in RV for DayZ. In other words they would need to re-build Chernarus and Livonia for Enfusion before they could even begin to move DayZ over.
What does all this mean for the vehicle issue then? My guess is nothing at all, as depressing as it sounds.

(That said, I have had exactly 0 issues with vehicles in the last few months. Just avoid overcrowded and overmodded servers...)

Edited by Derleth
  • Beans 1

34 minutes ago, Derleth said:

I doubt the full Enfusion launch will affect DayZ much at all, at least to begin with. The likelyhood that DayZ is fully ported over to Enfusion is next to zero unless Enfusion is so extremely flexible that it can be done with minimum effort.

Quite probably the reality we live in, at most maybe a graphical update will come to DayZ, but yeah... best to expect nothing.

Time to continue daydreaming about DayZ 2 in 4-6 years. Hopefully in that time GPU market goes back to normal, my RX580 has been sweating a lot and it deserves some rest at this point.

Edited by DefectiveWater

We've already got a graphics overhaul for dayz. This will most likely be for a new game. Dayz funded all this new engine stuff we've had for a few years now.

3 hours ago, Derleth said:

Just avoid overcrowded and overmodded servers...

As has been discussed to death that is no longer accurate information.   There are several but rare fully modded and fully populated servers that have few vehicle issues. I am actually looking into how these servers are configured and what kind of hardware they are running to eventually present some data to the issue.  So far, the physical hardware used has ridiculous specs, 99% of servers won't run on this hardware because it is too expensive.

Edited by THEGordonFreeman
  • Beans 1

4 hours ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

As has been discussed to death that is no longer accurate information.   There are several but rare fully modded and fully populated servers that have few vehicle issues. I am actually looking into how these servers are configured and what kind of hardware they are running to eventually present some data to the issue.  So far, the physical hardware used has ridiculous specs, 99% of servers won't run on this hardware because it is too expensive.

To be fair any server with half decent specs will hold up well in most cases. Sadly official servers are clusters on virtual machines as far as I know. I tried once to run just two servers on the same machine and they both went haywire instantly. Not so much because the machine couldn't handle it - the fps was good and RAM usage was less than 50%. It seems DayZ servers just don't play well together.

Point is DayZ vehicles will continue to occasinally misbehave until the simulation is made more robust and less sensitive to hiccups in network, server performance or both. Whether that will come about with Enfusion or something else only time will tell.

8 hours ago, Girth Brooks said:

We've already got a graphics overhaul for dayz

Still not the full potential of the new engine.

For starters, DayZ doesn't have screen space reflections. Lakes look so bland, and when it's raining the road looks like it's dry, no shine to it.
Enfusion seems to be capable of it though.

7_w.png

Would be hella nice if DayZ had lakes like that.

EDIT: Also IDK if the new engine is capable of Temporary AA methods, but they would certainly come in handy for some. Maybe even AMD's FSR?

Edited by DefectiveWater
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

9 hours ago, DefectiveWater said:

For starters, DayZ doesn't have screen space reflections. Lakes look so bland, and when it's raining the road looks like it's dry, no shine to it.

7_w.png

Those clouds are sexy too. Volumetric clouds were removed from DayZ in 1.02 or 1.03, I've never forgiven them for that...

16 hours ago, DefectiveWater said:

7_w.png

EDIT: Also IDK if the new engine is capable of Temporary AA methods, but they would certainly come in handy for some. Maybe even AMD's FSR?

Would love to play DayZ on the new engine.Think about the new lightning effects and textures...

Hope they would start development on DayZ 2 soon, as seeing this potential makes it difficult to get back into the DayZ we have now. But probably will be years off, after a new Arma

• Like 1

9 hours ago, amadieus said:

Would love to play DayZ on the new engine.Think about the new lightning effects and textures...

All this talk about DayZ 2 as if DayZ is a complete game.  As long as Vehicles continue to malfunction unannounced and regularly, this game is not complete.

Remember kids, Cars were supposed to be addressed in 2021.....   here are the current results of all the hard work done. 

I wonder how much lip service we will receive for 2022....

... we still posting console garbage videos? Of course vehicles suck there, garbage local hardware... garbage server hardware.

1 minute ago, 'AZAZEL' said:

... we still posting console garbage videos? Of course vehicles suck there, garbage local hardware... garbage server hardware.

Hardware is a factor, but not the ONLY factor.  Poor design choices made early on are more relevant to the problem at hand.

Guy throws a steak at a  parked car.... guess what happens next.....

Answer: Realistic vehicle physics only BI can understand.

• Like 1