THEGordonFreeman

The Awesome Vehicle Thread

2 hours ago, GamerWarrior2000 said:

These are some strong words and dare I say projection. One person's absurdity is another person's sanity. Keep in mind that something is not universal if it is not applicable in all cases, so you have logically contradicted yourself. This actually increases the statistical probability that your other statements are false. You have your opinion, I have mine. So lets be civil instead of calling names because you happen to disagree.

There was no name-calling.  I never attacked you, only your ridiculous posts.  Please take your slander somewhere else.

• Confused 1

Yes, the cars work perfectly according to the local troll.  And no the videos I post are not mine, they are from the dozens and dozens of youtube videos that get posted daily about how shitty cars are from people all over the world.

This guy got lucky.  Console cars are even worse  than PC.  That much is for certain.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

Yes, the cars work perfectly according to the local troll.  And no the videos I post are not mine, they are from the dozens and dozens of youtube videos that get posted daily about how shitty cars are from people all over the world.

This guy got lucky.  Console cars are even worse  than PC.  That much is for certain.

What is your evidence that this video isn't faked using editing software?  Video editing technology has come along way in 2021, so we can't be sure this footage hasn't been tampered with. This makes it inadmissible as evidence since there is reasonable doubt. Do you have any footage that isn't past its expiry date or new and therefore likely to be fraudulent? B.I. has a lot of angry opposition in the hacking scene that are motivated to bring B.I. and DayZ down and its no surprise they would create this fake video. The fact that you know about it actually involves you as a suspect in the investigation. You may be innocent but you're putting up some serious red flags here with access to such rare and obscure media. Not all of us are so gullible to fall for these technological slights of hand. Lets keep a skeptical outlook until some real evidence is put on the table.

If you think I'm wrong, take a look at this YouTube clip. You can't just blindly trust any video you stumble upon on the Internet. It would be different coming from a reputable source like Bohemia Interactive. I've not seen one video of a flying car released on their channel.

Edited by GamerWarrior2000

5 hours ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

And no the videos I post are not mine, they are from the dozens and dozens of youtube videos that get posted daily about how shitty cars are from people all over the world.

And interestingly enough, around 99% of them are from people playing on garbage official servers ... and on a console.

On 9/2/2021 at 6:41 PM, GamerWarrior2000 said:

I'm delighted that cars are working so well in 1.14. Not sure what OP is whining for since the physics are superior to most modern racing games.

On 11/8/2020 at 9:04 PM, GamerWarrior2000 said:

The biggest problem with cars is definitely not client side, and though I've heard this rumor, it is simply false. You can have a perfectly good internet connection and be on a server close to you, and cars will behave sporadically and fly to the moon. I've followed development and remember years ago when the developers specifically made changes to improve server performance, because it was causing issues with not only cars, but A.I. navigation. Recently Sumrak the lead developer made a stream and tested vehicles, and he specifically says multiple times that the bumpy and misbehaving cars is due to poor server performance. The server FPS dips when under high load (i.e. high population) and under a certain FPS cars get bumpy and are prone to going airborne. Sumrak checked his logs and saw the server FPS was below 15 at times, when stable performance of vehicles needs at least a stable 30 FPS. I'm on PC with a computer well above recommended specs, SSD, very stable internet connection and still get this problem with cars on Official servers. I have no problem quickly loading in world objects. You could give each client a NASA supercomputer, and the most high speed internet connection currently in existence, and cars would still catapult into the air once too many people join the server because these issues occur when server FPS gets low, not client FPS. Now it may be possible that laggy clients could be more taxing on servers, however, fundamentally, the car problem is related to the server. I'm not sure who keeps spreading this rumor on here but it's just wrong. It seems like they're looking for an excuse to blame the players, rather than the developers, for this long-standing problem.

Nothing has changed, fundamentally, in between the time that these posts were made.  Why the complete reversal??    At one point, you were on the side of players who were looking for improvements.  What happened?  You made some decent contributions to the conversation, but now that you have come back to the forums after a hiatus, all you do is troll people with obvious nonsense.  We need quality posters to help promote your favorite game.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

On 9/5/2021 at 12:14 PM, Parazight said:

Nothing has changed, fundamentally, in between the time that these posts were made.  Why the complete reversal??    At one point, you were on the side of players who were looking for improvements.  What happened?  You made some decent contributions to the conversation, but now that you have come back to the forums after a hiatus, all you do is troll people with obvious nonsense.  We need quality posters to help promote your favorite game.

Glad you pointed that out Parazight since I put the trolling moron on ignore.  Best thing is to never feed the trolls.  They are like Gremlins, feeding then ANYTIME causes them to multiply.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

Glad you pointed that out Parazight since I put the trolling moron on ignore.  Best thing is to never feed the trolls.  They are like Gremlins, feeding then ANYTIME causes them to multiply.

Yes, the best thing is to ignore the trolls.  I only tried to reason because this site has no active moderation.  The only moderation on these forums comes from developers.  Sad.   Trolls, Ad-spam and loads of unanswered questions linger for weeks.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 2:56 PM, Parazight said:

..... Sad.   Trolls, Ad-spam and loads of unanswered questions linger for weeks.

Not to mention that they haven't fixed vehicles in over three years.... you're right, it's very sad.

Seems they forgot to mention they fixed the vehicles after nearly 3 years.... wait... what?.... they didn't forget?  Oh, yeah, picking up animal carcasses is much more important than having stable working vehicles.  Good Job BI.  You do such a great job listening to your player base.  Everyone has been pandering for picking those carcasses up... adds so much more realism to the game.

BI DEVELOPER: "HEY GUYS!"

OTHER DEVS: "HEYA.  GOOD MORNING!"

BI DEVELOPER: "NEW IDEA!  LET'S LET PLAYERS PICK UP ANIMAL CARCASSES!"

OTHER DEVS: "YEAH, THAT IS SO BAD ASS!"

BI DEVELOPER: "I MEAN, YOU KNOW OUR VEHICLES ARE WORKING PERFECTLY.  THEY NEED TO BE ABLE TO PUT SOMETHING INSIDE THE TRUNK, RIGHT?!?"

OTHER DEVS: "YES, TELL THE EXECS TO GIVE THIS DUDE A HUUUUUGE RAISE AND BRING THE HOOKERS AND BLOW IN! PARTY TIME!!"

Meanwhile.... on PC....

Meanwhile cars work just fine on certain PC community servers that are using good hardware. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by 'AZAZEL'
  • Beans 1

13 minutes ago, 'AZAZEL' said:

Meanwhile cars work just fine on certain PC community servers that are using good hardware. 🤷‍♂️

Cars also have issues on good hardware.  It's unreasonable to have to spend a ton of money on good hardware.  Average hardware should suffice.   The problems exist because of a terrible design decision.  Hardware is an after-thought.  Why optimize code around fighting hackers?  That goes against all traditional logic of optimizing code and letting BattleEye do its job.  You keep saying that it's all fine on good hardware, but that isn't even relevant.

AND...  I have some footage experiencing all of the awesome of cars.....

• Beans 1

Meanwhile, the vast majority of communities AND Official and XBOX and Playstation servers all suffer from a terrible decision made by developers.  Again, their are a few communities who had to OVERBUILD servers beyond spec to accomodate for bad development decisions.  Good that they can afford it, too bad the majority of players will never be a part of it.  I would think people that actually care about this game would want the problem resolved instead of being a forum twerp saying "I GOT MINE!" and not working to alert everyone of the REAL situation at hand.

Edited by THEGordonFreeman

7 minutes ago, Parazight said:

Were you playing on an official server, Parazight?

39 minutes ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

Were you playing on an official server, Parazight?

I'll tell you that it's your average GameServers.com server (60) but low pop.

3 minutes ago, Parazight said:

I'll tell you that it's your average GameServers.com server (60) but low pop.

And THERE YOU HAVE IT.  So anyone that comes on the forum to vomit that a handful of community servers have cars working perfectly IGNORE the fact that those servers have to pay big money for OVERKILL servers to make this game work for their communities.  I run a Dayz server on a dedicated 6700K 32GB SSD Drive Windows 2013 server.  This is way more than what is recommended by BI.It is the only thing on the server and when pop hits 15, cars start to become unusable.  Even on low pop, less than 8, you can still have hiccups.  The server FPS will be in the thousands and STILL you will have wobbles and drops while driving.  Server is tied to a Google Fiber backend in Kansas City, my average ping is under 30 from my home machine with an average 100MB/s cable modem on a 5800X AMD proc with 32GB memory. So in short, the issue is not the equipment... it IS THE BAD DEVELOPMENT DECISION that has gotten us in this mess.  Just because someone has a bunch of cash to burn to "fix" the problem, is not really fixing anything.  They are simply saying "I GOT MINE" and everyone else can deal with it. 

Not much different from the way it is currently being handled by BI.  They know there is a problem, they have tried to fix it, so they say, but we just have to deal with it while we pick up our animal carcasses.  Just ignore the flying cars, eat your Bear Steak and love it.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 7:03 PM, ImpulZ said:

And just to highlight that we are aware of the topic, the description of the status given above is basically correct. Since the re-implementation of vehicles there have been these cases of instability caused by bad physics simulation. Physics and server-side vehicle simulation are quite complicated things, and while over the past 2 years there have been attempts to stabilize the situation, sadly it wasn't completely successful yet. As many players report, it's definitely not a thing of "you will fly into space every day", but it definitely happens in individual cases, and as the video nicely shows, it's something that looks impressive and anyone seeing it will definitely post it on YouTube, once it happens to them. As it understandably in most cases involves the dead of the driver and fellow passengers, it's only a laughing matter at first.

Our engine team is aware of the issue and regularly allocates time into investigations on this to find improvements, as you can imagine this kind of a situation is nothing a programmer likes to see as the result of their work either. Due to the proven complexity of this topic and other work within the engine, we are sadly unable to give an ETA as to when this will be fixed.

As many other things in the game, vehicle simulation is calculated server-side to prevent hackers from abusing them. Sadly it can result in these instabilities in cases of bad connection, that aren't always clearly reproducible. Another aspect are ground collisions, as we've observed cases where vehicles would show irratic behaviour after having wheels added.

That said, we'll provide updates to this topic if anything changes about this status.

Love the DayZ Team, Socials, Dev & Management. But when you have a Console version of the game for well over a year now & no ones thought, why not just make vehicles client side on Console as console players cant use client side calculations to implement hacks. I can understand if Console just couldn't handle said calculations & a reluctance to fix a problem for a portion of the player base & not the others. But surely delivering on a feature promise for even a portion of your player base is better than none? 

On 9/17/2021 at 3:32 PM, Parazight said:

Cars also have issues on good hardware.  It's unreasonable to have to spend a ton of money on good hardware.  Average hardware should suffice.   The problems exist because of a terrible design decision.  Hardware is an after-thought.  Why optimize code around fighting hackers?  That goes against all traditional logic of optimizing code and letting BattleEye do its job.  You keep saying that it's all fine on good hardware, but that isn't even relevant.

I agree. Another fix other than just change whatever we can to client side was needed a long time ago. Also its a completely flawed solution as Hacking in DayZ is as prevalent as it ever was as I'm sure any large server admin cant attest too. Battle eye is & has always been garbage but anti cheat software is always reactive & cheat software makes as much money as AAA gaming nowadays so its a losing battle. Better to switch Vehicle Physic back to Server side & pick up a phone, ring battle eye & ask what your paying for until they actually shore up the problem as they should. At least Switch Console back to server side as they couldnt use the server access to use hacks anyway. Better to have at least some of your player base actually playing the game as its advertised to function. I love DayZ & the Dev team but hate how Games seem completely allowed to make endless product promises about content & mechanics, not deliver & somehow not get punished. If I order a Big Mac with large fries & get handed a carrot, but with a note that says "sorry we tried really hard but big macs not possible i'm afraid, but were keeping your cash & you gotta take that carrot & like it" you better know somebodies getting slapped

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

Meanwhile on console.....

Truly, the developers have blessed us with such amazing vehicle physics.  I am so looking forward to carrying animal carcasses... I hope the physics work just as well as these amazing vehicles.

• Haha 2

And on console after 1.14 dropped

Takeaway?   BI still hasn't done anything to fix the biggest issue facing DayZ.  Do you think if they ignore it enough, it will just go away?

If you are thinking about buying DayZ, please understand cars have been broken for many, MANY years now.  And BI has done little, if anything, to fix them.  The videos posted all in this thread shows you the CURRENT state of vehicles and the state has been current three years and going. 

But hey, you can carry animal carcasses now....

Edited by THEGordonFreeman

Vehicles are broken, buggy deathtraps and i can't understand anyone defending this.

Also can't understand why in a world where bike helmets are so prevalent there's not a single bike (motored or pedal powered) to be found.

11 minutes ago, lemmac said:

Also can't understand why in a world where bike helmets are so prevalent there's not a single bike (motored or pedal powered) to be found.

So you want bikes to be added so they can be "broken, buggy deathtraps" (you said it yourself)

Maybe bikes were/are planned once cars are sorted, there's no reasons NOT to add them

12 minutes ago, lemmac said:

Vehicles are broken, buggy deathtraps and i can't understand anyone defending this.

I don't think anyone is defending this... why do people act like people are defending it?
Majority of people are just sh*tposting about cars, and a minority of people is just explaining how you can minimize that issue.

Well one of the things i've noticed with cars is they tend to bug out less with fewer occupants. I'd imagine bikes would be less buggy as they would just be an extension of the single player riding them, a player model moving faster essentially. 

My simple solution to the buggy vehicles, assuming they are as unfixable as they appear to be, would be to increase both the vehicle and the occupant armour so when the inevitable lag bug happens you haven't instantly lost the toon, the car and the loot you've spent ages collecting to a 15km/h collision with a picket fence. Trucks already provide this extra protection and are thus much safer to drive in dayz, that and the fact they can actually climb the hills 😉