THEGordonFreeman

The Awesome Vehicle Thread

This isn't a solution, but has saved me a few times: hit and hold the brakes.

I tend to never drive higher than second gear and at the slightest inclination that the car is "having a moment", I hit the brakes and hold the button down.  It doesn't always work, but a lot of times, if you come to a stop and hold the brakes down for a few seconds, the desync subsides enough to save the car and continue.

Again though, only works if you're not driving too fast.  If you're in third gear or above on a populated server, good luck, either you or the car will be dead in no time.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, drgullen said:

This isn't a solution, but has saved me a few times: hit and hold the brakes.........Again though, only works if you're not driving too fast.  If you're in third gear or above on a populated server, good luck, either you or the car will be dead in no time.

Right on.  It's a possible workaround.  It's a damn shame players have to figure out ways around problems left by developers.  BI is notoriously famous for this since Arma 2.  And DayZ likely won't be the last game they leave Mac Truck sized bugs in as game features.  I mean, this would be embarrassing for most companies but this has become BI's calling card at this point.  What makes it different is that, vehicles are a major feature to the game and while I'm sure the current team would love to have it fixed, it's not a priority, and THAT is what has so many perplexed.  It's a major feature of the game and it sits here broken FOR YEARS and even the developers don't know when or if it can be fixed.   That's like a doctor ripping out a bone in your leg, and putting a replacement in saying it will be better than the original bone, but every 10 steps or so, your leg flies out from under you and you fall to the ground.  Every couple of months the doctor takes an XRay and can't figure out how to fix it but keeps telling you he's working on it.  Sure, you can live without the leg, but he said it would be better from the beginning, although your leg was perfectly fine from the start.  It makes no sense and now it's basically ignored and they tell you well, at least you can make 9 steps.... in other words... working as intended, at this point, deal with it, you'll get used to it.

There was another.. workaround. The moment things were getting out of hand player could just evacuate from the car by jumping out. But that was then... Escaping now is too dangerous or at least an action not worth taking. Certain bleeding, maybe fracture or even death. And they mostly did that so players couldn't "warp" through walls :P.

So this just about sums up my experience with vehicles and why I don't use them.   This is the default way to die in a vehicle....  

@THEGordonFreeman

Yep and to the point I made earlier, notice when this happens to him -- it happens after he puts it into third gear.

He would have had to respond very quickly, but if he had pressed and held the brakes at the :06 mark of this video (when the car has flipped on its side but hasn't started flying yet), he may not have died as the desync would have started to subside and the car should have came to a rest at that point.  It would still have sustained damage and might have been ruined, but he probably would have only taken a bit of damage but not completely died from it.

Don't get me wrong, he did nothing wrong here as you should easily be able to drive the car in higher gears, but on a populated server (which based on the performance of the car in this video I'm going to assume he was on), you simply can't drive this fast without risking exactly what happened here.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, drgullen said:

Don't get me wrong, he did nothing wrong here as you should easily be able to drive the car in higher gears, but on a populated server (which based on the performance of the car in this video I'm going to assume he was on), you simply can't drive this fast without risking exactly what happened here.

Well said.  I cringe when I see videos of cars going into space, which happens when you hit 70+ km/h on paved back roads.  Dying is mostly preventable.   I've destroyed so many cars (engine, radiator, spark plug, and front fender) because of the standard issues, but I haven't actually taken off into space for some time.  I can't even remember the last time I actually died from it.  I would say at least 95%+ of my car accidents are beyond my control, and that's driving carefully.    When things start to go haywire, I stand on the brakes and put it in neutral.

• Like 2

It often happens that the car starts jumping when I get into it. First, it slowly sways, then stronger and further jumps. (in this case, the motor can be turned off). Sometimes she starts jumping when I drive. I have noticed that this mostly occurs in areas with elevated or uneven terrain. I'm sure the mistake is that this problem is in contact with the surface. the car is out of sync with the road. Something with wheels. I think that if the developers make them irreplaceable and correct the code, then this problem will be solved!
I have already said that I drive very slowly (30-50 km / h) and stop in front of cities for 5 seconds. This is a necessary measure in the struggle for survival while driving. I also ride light with a minimum amount of loot. Such security measures.

• Beans 1

6 hours ago, maxon-69 said:

...This is a necessary measure in the struggle for survival while driving.....

I'm sure this is EXACTLY how BI intends for us to play the game.  Conform to how THEY want you to play.... kinda defeats the whole reason of being an Open World title.  ANY vehicle can turn into a space shuttle in seconds... proof....

• Confused 1

Vehicles are powered by the very same framework so models, textures and names doesn't really matter. Even horse mod can be a very rough experience with current settings.

• Thanks 1

The slow motion crash... a new way to lose all your progression and gear through no fault of your own.  Fortunately, this guys rode it out and survived.  Not the normal experience with vehicles at all.

BONUS CLIP!
Here's a car actually flying at the airfield.... natural habitat for all DayZ vehicles...

Edited by THEGordonFreeman

While the mod was much more reliable vehicle-wise, you could still get airborne on the rare occasion.  here's comparison of vehicles from 2012 to 2021, and if you close your eyes, it feels like nothing has changed!

• Thanks 1

So I wonder what exactly it will take to make this a priority for BI?  How many players have to suffer through no fault of their own?

I really wish BI would put as much time/energy/passion and attention to detail in the vehicles as they do in their trailers for these updates.  But I guess I can wish in my left hand and poop in in my right.  The poop in my right hand is tangible... it stinks, but it is tangible.

Have faith - it's all we can do since they don't want our money anymore.

1 hour ago, nemorus said:

Have faith - it's all we can do since they don't want our money anymore.

Until vehicles are fixed, I don't plan to give BI one more dime of my money.  Not for any DLC, not for any new game.  I have had it.  DayZ was the first game I supported in Early Access, and while I have bought a few other EA titles... no more.  I'm done.  I sincerely love this game in spite of the development company involved.  Through all of the dumb mistakes, Dean Hall, and all of that, I have fully supported the vision until they decided to go Beta then Full release within a month, the love affair I have with this game began falling apart.  There's a lot to like about the game, but deciding to release to console was the worst decision they could have made.  Sure it made BI more money, but what did we get in the end.... a lot more frustrated players, that's what.  And a wholesale change to the game that nobody asked for or wanted (ahem... Player Controller).  But the real travesty is making the game  full release with the aweful vehicle physics.  Sadly the game is not really playable for Console people, especially on a server with a few players or bases.  But even us PC folk are willing to forgive some of the desync goofiness, but the state of vehicles is pure crap, it never should have been released.

I don't play console, but there's no way in hell this is a fully released and patched game.  It's the second saddest thing to see for the game...

• Like 1

Forcing timetable only proves that someone has finally made an executive decision to end all of this mess.

"(...)There's a lot to like about the game, but deciding to release to console was the worst decision they could have made.(...)"

No... The worst idea was to buy that version of "DayZ". It's like "Skyrim" for PS4 - it doesn't make sense for those with eyes. It's like throwing away potential that comes with modding. But to sell that... It's like stealing a candy from a kid. There are always people who "~only want to play". It targets them - and since majority is always wrong, it's an easy target.

People always wanted to fly in "DayZ". And now they can! No need for choppers or planes when there are vehicles such as V3S or Olga. #DayZAviation - Let the dream continue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, nemorus said:

People always wanted to fly in "DayZ". And now they can! No need for choppers or planes when there are vehicles such as V3S or Olga. #DayZAviation - Let the dream continue.

That's why I never understood why Community Server admin's would pay $100 for a helicopter mod.  YOU ALREADY HAVE FLYING CARS BAKED IN THE GAME!

BONUS MEME!!!!

• Haha 2

ADA's wheels weren't stuck in a ground and yet it yeeted... Strange.

It's because some people like to suffer. Playing on console is like playing legacy versions - people can experience "DayZ historical values" first hand.

17 hours ago, nemorus said:

It's because some people like to suffer. Playing on console is like playing legacy versions - people can experience "DayZ historical values" first hand.

So basically you are saying playing DayZ on Console is like going to the Smithsonian Museum.  Xbox and Playstation are preserving history so to speak.  That's really sad.  Most companies sweat about having their games perform the absolute best on multiple platforms.  Not BI.  They are mavericks... they now release games that are in no way shape or form capable of playing at decent frame rates continuously on ANY platform, and, of course, not to mention the bugs and broken major systems left in the game.  They don't even bother patching those major systems two years after release.   Anybody want to guess what Arma 4 or whatever the next game is going to be like?  You think the Vehicles will work better in their next game?

Not ONLY THAT!  The problem with DayZ Vehicles is SOOOOO bad... real life is making memes of all of these DayZ, Please fix Cars Videos....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeXGlNXJeEM