Kyiara

Experimental Update 1.12 (Changelog)

11 hours ago, Roddis said:

Im one of the few who liked stagger as it was for all weapons. 

I dont know how it is a 9mm in your body (fortunately) but Im quite sure that even a ''little'' 9mm would make you just cry and shout and only praying for an immediate medical assistance. 

But PVP masters (all PVPers except me it seems, cause yes I play DayZ to PVP) reclaimed their right to prove their eye-mouse abilities each other, so a compromise was required.

Its something if they leave it for the bigger ones, that in fact would just shred you in a mush of flesh at a first hit...

How about a chance of staggering for lower caliber? And a chance falling/dropping for higher caliber.

On 4/11/2021 at 6:48 AM, Abolition said:

Making melee weapons and tools more available, finding your first simple weapon should take a couple minutes not 10-15mins in some cases

• Early game is just locking zeds up in buildings.
  • Crafting rags with either more tools or ability to make less rags with hands (maybe one rag per item of clothing)

I know this directly ties into the CLE, which still is not able to handle large volumes of players on hotspots but at the same time, why? Why should it be guaranteed that you find X and fast? 

One of the better parts of DayZ is the randomness of what you find and that you have to make due with that. For example now that infected have the tendency to hit more and thus damage your clothing more, will you demand that there be sewing kits everywhere now? It spikes the difficulty yes, but that is the point of tougher infected. 

On 4/11/2021 at 6:48 AM, Abolition said:

Stealth kills are a great mechanic

• Increase crouch movement speed just a little bit or lowering crouch running noise. Players won't use the stealth mechanic since you have to crouch walk from so far away and it quickly becomes tediously slow closing the distance. There is a balance there somewhere hopefully we can find it.

You know players will use it, players use crouch sprinting all the time, thus if normal crouching becomes faster players will use it even more and preserve stamina. Plus giving players faster way to stealthily killing infected in one blow goes against the idea of making infected tougher. 

• Beans 1

I was thinking of suggesting quiet crouch "walking"/sneaking, if player is in a crouch position, holding walk should make him even slower but making much less noise (near silent, but very slow, good for changing positions when a player is in the same building as you). I also think walking should be much quieter (alternative to crouching, but instead of crouching, you are sneaking upright, good for clearing buildings), if I'm not wrong, walking is either the same loudness as crouch jogging or normal jogging.
(or implement a similar system like Tarkov where players can choose their running speed from anywhere between jogging, to almost near stationary speed).

But I think the best way would be to make zeds slightly less dependent on sound to aggro, and making their vision aggro worse during night time. They should be able to hear you, but not aggro right away just from sound, especially during night time where players can sometime struggle to see anything at all. I find it insane that in pitch black I could be just jogging in the town, and I can't see anything, yet zeds aggro on me and they can pin point my location. Are zeds supposed to have night vision or something (as a part of the infection)?
Also, if it's possible, zeds shouldn't hear me stomping on a second floor in a building while they are outside... that's just dumb, but I get if it's an engine limitation.

Edited by DefectiveWater

7 minutes ago, DefectiveWater said:

I was thinking of suggesting quiet crouch "walking"/sneaking, if player is in a crouch position, holding walk should make him even slower but making much less noise (near silent, but very slow, good for changing positions when a player is in the same building as you). I also think walking should be much quieter (alternative to crouching, but instead of crouching, you are sneaking upright, good for clearing buildings), if I'm not wrong, walking is either the same loudness as crouch jogging or normal jogging.
(or implement a similar system like Tarkov where players can choose their running speed from anywhere between jogging, to almost near stationary speed).

But I think the best way would be to make zeds slightly less dependent on sound to aggro, and making their vision aggro worse during night time. They should be able to hear you, but not aggro right away just from sound, especially during night time where players can sometime struggle to see anything at all. I find it insane that in pitch black I could be just jogging in the town, and I can't see anything, yet zeds aggro on me and they can pin point my location. Are zeds supposed to have night vision or something (as a part of the infection)?
Also, if it's possible, zeds shouldn't hear me stomping on a second floor in a building while they are outside... that's just dumb, but I get if it's an engine limitation.

Yes, I agree that walking sounds seem to loud. Even though the sound changes depending on the surface, the loudness does not and it all has this hollow sound as if walking on sound stage (I wonder why 🙂 ) and I have the feeling that all shoes sound very similar if not the same. Which again, should not be the case at all. 

Generally speaking the whole crouch to go silent game mechanics should really not be present in Day Z. I'm certain that IRL I'm no quieter crouch walking than standing up, if anything standing up I can better control my steps and thus footing and weight distribution making it really quiet. Crouching should be there to minimize the silhouette and give you better stability for performing certain actions. It's ok to slowly move crouched as well of course, but here I feel we could forgo the usual videogame trope. 

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

Yes, I agree that walking sounds seem to loud

I agree, but for the different reason. Dayz has such a beautiful sound design. Wind, birds in forests, rivers and even rains sound so cool and atmospheric. But you just can not enjoy it, because all you hear is your own damned footsteps sound all the time.

Edited by fl1y

The sound of the player's footsteps is certainly too loud and can be brought down a notch or two. But other people's footsteps, you have to be on top of them before you hear them.

As to the crouch sound, I suppose there has to be some sort of stealth mechanic employed. That goes double now that the infected have been uber'd. You need some way to get around them.

• Thanks 1

So, according to a response on twitter today the absurd HP of the stab vest - that makes it outperform the pressvest, in practice it is almost equal ballistic protection as a platecarrier due to its hp that is three times as high - it is an intended change for "gameplay balance". The fact the stab vest doesn't have any cargo space somehow makes it deserve better ballistic protection than a press vest that IS  a ballistic vest AND weighs three times as much. This from a vest you can pick up in Kamyshovo a minute after spawning.

This goes to confirm the suspicions I've had since learning about the weird ballistics and bullet damage changes of 1.12. The aim for DayZ to be an "authentic" experience has been thrown out the window to achieve some kind of arcadey pvp balance. I really don't like the look of this at all. Looks like we'll have to turn to modders to get the gritty DayZ experience. I know the update isn't out yet, but that they even think along these lines makes me very disappointed. What is next, unlimited stamina and traders? 

Edited by Derleth
  • Beans 3

39 minutes ago, Derleth said:

So, according to a response on twitter today the absurd HP of the stab vest - that makes it outperform the pressvest, in practice it is almost equal ballistic protection as a platecarrier due to its hp that is three times as high - it is an intended change for "gameplay balance". The fact the stab vest doesn't have any cargo space somehow makes it deserve better ballistic protection than a press vest that IS  a ballistic vest AND weighs three times as much. This from a vest you can pick up in Kamyshovo a minute after spawning.

This goes to confirm the suspicions I've had since learning about the weird ballistics and bullet damage changes of 1.12. The aim for DayZ to be an "authentic" experience has been thrown out the window to achieve some kind of arcadey pvp balance. I really don't like the look of this at all. Looks like we'll have to turn to modders to get the gritty DayZ experience. I know the update isn't out yet, but that they even think along these lines makes me very disappointed. What is next, unlimited stamina and traders? 

Like i said earlier, pew pew clips from YouTube and Twitch is whats generating revenue. Multiple accounts, rebuying banned people they all are for the PVP crowd. 

What made this game big/great? Not the PVP crowd. Best suggestions? Not from the PVP crowd. 

What Bohemia aims for? The PVP crowd..... 

I guess i Will never see my bow back 😞

• Confused 1
  • Beans 2

37 minutes ago, Derleth said:

I also saw that twitter conversation and have a feeling like yours. Since this experimental released I have progressively noticed that the ballistics authenticity has been screwed. Added to some details like this stab vest "balance" makes me wonder that DayZ could be going towards something more arcade I would say. I have not the right word now.

For some people it could be what they want but still I think that DayZ has been always though to be as close to reality as it could get for a game. At least since I started playing in the last months of 2018.

The lack of answer by devs in twitter or here about ballistics makes me think that these changes are here to be pushed to stable.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

The sound of the player's footsteps is certainly too loud and can be brought down a notch or two. But other people's footsteps, you have to be on top of them before you hear them.

As to the crouch sound, I suppose there has to be some sort of stealth mechanic employed. That goes double now that the infected have been uber'd. You need some way to get around them.

As I say, I get it, I would say that the whole crouching mechanic should be more effective for stealth against infected and of course generally make you more concealed in foliage etc.. But in terms of being more quiet walking slowly should have just the same effect if not even better. 

it was just the consolification of the game with 1.00. they threw the realism out of the window for xbox players.

that and some bad design decisions in regards to gunplay/ballistics. half the team left/changed too. I think all things considered we can be lucky the state DayZ is in right now. Bohemia were probably close to cancelling the project multiple times.

but stop with that "us hardcore survivalists" vs "them pvp fools" narrative.. its not true nor will it get you anywhere.

they just need to pick up their original standards again.. or hire Gews or something

• Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, Buakaw said:

it was just the consolification of the game with 1.00. they threw the realism out of the window for xbox players.

that and some bad design decisions in regards to gunplay/ballistics. half the team left/changed too. I think all things considered we can be lucky the state DayZ is in right now. Bohemia were probably close to cancelling the project multiple times.

but stop with that "us hardcore survivalists" vs "them pvp fools" narrative.. its not true nor will it get you anywhere.

they just need to pick up their original standards again.. or hire Gews or something

Nobody (well almost nobody) is saying that. But you cant disagree that most tweaking is related to player VS player interaction. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, McWendy said:

Nobody (well almost nobody) is saying that. But you cant disagree that most tweaking is related to player VS player interaction. 

well and you cant deny that PVP is a major part of the game, so why wouldn't it?

but there is plenty of stuff PvE or survival related that gets tweaked, added or fixed. the patch notes are full of it. you saying "i will never get my bow, damn pvpers :(" is a false narrative.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

1 hour ago, Buakaw said:

THANK YOU for saying that.

I really hope current damage changes don't stick to stable release, I ditched a Blaze AND a Mosin for an SKS.
SKS is insanely good now (literally OP, considering how common SKS is/was (at least on 1.11)), and I one tapped one random dude in Tisy Mil Base, and that's wrong, very wrong. It shouldn't be like that at all.

Agreed that PVP is a major part of the game, there is literally nothing to do for the end-game after you find a good gun, and good luck with grinding military bases for M4s or AKMs, because those have already been looted or stashed somewhere, so looting good guns/gear goes out of the window too.

Not everyone wants to build a base, surviving is rather easy once you get the initial 3 minute hump (find a sharp tool, and at least 2 cans of food).
There would be no threat if we all acted like killing is bad, there would be no risk in going to military bases (or any town) if nobody ever KOS'd. Game would get boring very quickly due to lack of gameplay content. PVP at least offers some thrill, some action at the cost of a possibility of having to start all over again, and it also offers actual danger to every player, not only PVP players, but PVE focused players too.

Edited by DefectiveWater
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Buakaw said:

well and you cant deny that PVP is a major part of the game, so why wouldn't it?

but there is plenty of stuff PvE or survival related that gets tweaked, added or fixed. the patch notes are full of it. you saying "i will never get my bow, damn pvpers :(" is a false narrative.

I never said my bow is because of PVPers 🤣 and i do love PVP in this game. The infected dont get my blood pumping that's for sure. 

But adding melee weapons and a broom is not the same as An increase in hunting, crafting or other survival mechanics. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DefectiveWater said:

I really hope current damage changes don't stick to stable release, I ditched a Blaze AND a Mosin for an SKS.
SKS is insanely good now (literally OP, considering how common SKS is/was (at least on 1.11)), and I one tapped one random dude in Tisy Mil Base, and that's wrong, very wrong. It shouldn't be like that at all.

It's not the damage of the rounds in that case, it's the stupid ballistics they've put.

AKM stops one-shotting at only around 20 metres. Mosin does it to hundreds. So SKS should not be "ridiculous". It should only one-shot at very close range, not much good for long range fights compared to Winchester or Mosin. 

But you're right. I checked why SKS is ridiculous - it is ridiculous, and it's because they gave it this stupid initSpeedMultiplier of 1.5 again.

That's 50% more speed when firing from the SKS. It increases bullet velocity from a realistic 2428 feet per second, to an insane 3642 feet per second. There's no military rifles which shoot anywhere near that fast, except things like .308 or .50 cal SLAP rounds.

Like I said before if the velocity was magically increased that much in real life, the SKS would be as powerful as a .300 H&H Magnum:

300-HH-Magnum-Cartridge.jpg

The effect of this in game means little bullet drop, extremely fast travel time and of main concern, it means it the AK can't one-shot at even 25 m, but the SKS still one-shots at over 300 m.

That's just stupid-ass stuff. It should be 5% faster, not 50% faster! The muzzle velocities are available right on Wikipedia. Maybe it's a typo. Maybe it's a placeholder. One can hope.

I made a feedback tracker on this issue with other weapons. You can add your comments there if you want devs to see it:

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T157734

• Thanks 2
  • Beans 1

The one damage change I really do like is the fact Magnum does 55 damage now, vs 35 for 9mm. It's still a healthy increase.

Before it was 105.9 damage vs 26 for 9mm, crazy numbers. Four 9mm rounds to kill a single player, while the Magnum can kill six players with six rounds. So with more appropriate number for .357 there's now actually a motivation to mod something like .44 Magnum (maybe ~75 damage), .50 Action Express (~100+ damage), etc. Before the .357 had damage more appropriate for something like a .454 Casull, so in my opinion, without redoing those damages, there was no point to mod any rounds between .357 and .454 Casull. Which covers a lot of rounds.

Old damage... bleurgh
ubuHgQM.png

Of course if you were unconcerned about realism you could just make your .44 Magnum with 25000 damage or whatever. But otherwise this is a nice change.

Only needs more damage for repeater, because the 5x longer barrel + slow magnum powders greatly increases speed and power. Which can be done easily with a higher typicalSpeed and a negative initSpeedMultiplier on Magnum, so it can stay 55 damage and Repeater could increase to ~85, from same rounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

I know this directly ties into the CLE, which still is not able to handle large volumes of players on hotspots but at the same time, why? Why should it be guaranteed that you find X and fast?  

One of the better parts of DayZ is the randomness of what you find and that you have to make due with that. For example now that infected have the tendency to hit more and thus damage your clothing more, will you demand that there be sewing kits everywhere now? It spikes the difficulty yes, but that is the point of tougher infected. 

You know players will use it, players use crouch sprinting all the time, thus if normal crouching becomes faster players will use it even more and preserve stamina. Plus giving players faster way to stealthily killing infected in one blow goes against the idea of making infected tougher. 

My thoughts on finding weapons and tools reliably are more about giving the player the tools necessary to deal with the infected. The default shouldn't be resorting to exploiting or cheesing the flaws in the AI. Locking them up because they can't break windows or doors and can't attack if you jump on a object chest high, this isn't difficult or immersive game play it's cheesing.

Damaged clothing isn't a big deal on Chernarus, sewing kits aren't a necessity like they are for Namalsk but Namalsk is a mod so it can sort itself out. 

You are right the stealth kill shouldn't be super fast so you can just blast though and clear an area. but at the current pace of the slow crouch, people will once again just resort to locking them away.

I really like the 1.12 aggro system over the 1.11 and below. Thinking about different zombies in different media, I like the Train to Busan/peninsula ones the most. Terrible senses especially at night, decaying perception makes sense, they are very sensitive organs. Night time should be the best time for looting and faster stealth kills. so lowering the infected night time awareness is worth testing.

My main thought process is about making the experience immersive. The unfortunate truth is when you make something difficult, most people will try to find an easier way. Not by finding out what the game has for you to find and use, but where the weakness is in the gameplay/coding/animations/netcode.

Pitch black nights for example, server owners had to make nights brighter because half the server population just logs off when night hits and come back at daybreak .

Namalsk is fresh in my mind so I apologize for the mod examples.

Defrosting food was meant to take time, slow the player down and create a risky immersive moment to plan with your buddies, fix up your clothing and sort your inventory. First day people discovered you can insta defrost food while also getting the heat buff by damaging it inside a single rag/paper fireplace inventory. This and a few other things became meta for the first couple months and it turned Namalsk into a cheesing/exploiting race down south.

I realize some of my wording such and "wont" and "should" were probably the wrong choices.

My aim was to add to the thinking of "How can these difficulty changes be accomplished while also keeping DayZ accessible and appealing to future players" "Fixing issues that current players want fixed before these changes are made" and  "Players will find a way to get around difficult things rather than go through them"

New players are going to help keep DayZ thriving so it has to be kept in mind with any updates. Their first experience is going to be with the Infected so they and every system in place to deal with them, needs to give the impression they are dangerous in numbers but 1v1 not so bad while not making the easiest thing to do is abuse flaws in the AI. 

I can't imagine how hard it is trying to cater to the hardcore survival base and the PvP base. Both are the sides of the same coin, without both DayZ dies. the fear or thrill of PvP is what drives most players, there has to be bad guys otherwise it's just a looting sim.

Zeds/Infected are what set the DayZ mod apart from Wasteland, King of the Hill and Battle Royale. Survivors banding together to fight the zeds while scavenging for food and resources, I see why the devs want the infected to be more than just a nuisance. but other players will always be the bigger threat. Hopefully with all our input we can reach that perfect spot for the infected threat.

Some great discussion going on around the ballistic and armor changes. In 1.11 my favorite gun is probably the CR 527, it's in a great spot 1 shot head shot, 3 to unarmored torso under that 300m range. DayZ needs more damage values closer to this. hard to hit 1 shot kills, good chance to knock uncon. less 1 shot torso kills makes for longer more exciting engagements, higher chance for infected and other players to get involved. The messier an encounter, the more fun there is to be had trying to survive.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Abolition said:

Some great discussion going on around the ballistic and armor changes. In 1.11 my favorite gun is probably the CR 527, it's in a great spot 1 shot head shot, 3 to unarmored torso under that 300m range. DayZ needs more damage values closer to this. hard to hit 1 shot kills, good chance to knock uncon. less 1 shot torso kills makes for longer more exciting engagements, higher chance for infected and other players to get involved. The messier an encounter, the more fun there is to be had trying to survive.

Check damage for AKM or BK-18 (blue) vs CR527 or SKS (orange) in 1.12, first is more like 1.11 damage, second is like a different round.

wd2JKUZ.png

I think CR 527 could use buff from 1.11, as a sniper you hit 1 round and if the opponent doesn't want to engage it's just a little tickle. I don't think it should be one hit kill either. Which is why binary 1, 0, kill, not kill, not my favourite. Pre-0.63 DayZ this weapon had a lot more punch than versions where it has 55 damage. Yet it was still not nearly as good as Winchester or Mosin. It felt like there is more chance to do decent damage pre-0.63, it was still a solid hit and there was a chance enemy will drop, if not he will be wounded, but not always, sometimes they tanked shots. But it felt less sure of the result. Where in contrast 55 damage feels like you are wasting your time at long range, because even with a headshot, there's zero chance a healthy, geared enemy will die, or even be knocked unconscious. Which is why I liked the vital organs in theory, it adds more chance of success to the smaller weapons, the implementation of them maybe not so much.

Edited by -Gews-

While I do not actively seek out PvP - in a game where survival is the objective I just can't bring myself to actively look for ppl that want to kill me - I will not deny that it plays a very important part in DayZ. Without player versus player violence the game doesn't have that edge of danger and uncertainy, so even the vile freshy killers camping newspawn areas have their place. The risk of KOS keeps you on edge.

But what attracted me to DayZ was ultimately that PvP was not balanced as in pewpew shooters. I came from PUBG and loved that there was no killfeed, no leaderboard, no objective to kill as many players as you can (although tons of players play it like that) and pvp was ultimately unfair. THAT is what I think the devs are starting to lose sight of now, intentionally or not they are starting to tweak numbers back and forth on damage, armour, ballistics etc not to achieve the authenticity that made DayZ unique, but to find a "fair" balance in PvP. PvP should not be fair in DayZ. If you get the drop on someone and shoot first and hit, the guy you shot should be at a major disadvantage. He should have a chance to shoot back if he was wearing body armour and/or you didn't hit well, but he should NOT be able to sprint away or swing around and shoot 100% accurate counter fire as if he did not just get hit. A certain weapon should not get a buff out of fantasy because "otherwise it is useless" - some guns are better than others at killing stuff, that's just how it is. So I agree that the 1.12 change to .357 is a sensible change although I must admit I have thoroughly enjoyed using the Deagle during 1.11. A scoped and suppressed sidearm that oneshots zombies and players alike, what's NOT to like, right?

Anyway, when devs started talking about balancing I was hoping and expecting that this balance was going to be based on authenticity first and foremost, to achieve the gunplay "balance" we had before 0.63. But instead, yeah.

Also, this thing with the stab vest vs press vest and plate carrier almost make me think they're balancing for no-stamina servers. "The stab vest needs to be stronger because it has no cargo space" well DUH it also weighs less than half of a press vest! You have now created a platecarrier that doesn't bomb stamina AND is common around fresh spawn zones. But yeah, if you play on unlimited stamina servers the stab vest is pretty much worthless since it has low protection compared to press vests or platecarriers, and no inventory space. And the weight difference has no impact.,,

Weapons and armour in DayZ should NOT have their stats determined by some kind of "item budget" as if it was an RPG, keep it as close to reality as the medium allows. Please don't go down the arcadey road guys, please.

• Beans 1

3 hours ago, Abolition said:

My thoughts on finding weapons and tools reliably are more about giving the player the tools necessary to deal with the infected. The default shouldn't be resorting to exploiting or cheesing the flaws in the AI. Locking them up because they can't break windows or doors and can't attack if you jump on a object chest high, this isn't difficult or immersive game play it's cheesing.

I understand that and yeah for me it is the though process of; crap no weapon do I just run away, do I risk sneaking around ... in conjunction to this, this is one of the reasons why I dislike the current infected spawning system where they spawn in the area you are in and keep spawning as you move through town. Takes the win away when you avoid them or manage to fool them and then the next batch just literally spawns next to you. Same goes for the food and drink system, what good is it that you manage when you're dying of starvation again in 100 meters? 

On the other hand, yes I do find it hilarious that you can lock them in and leave them for some other survivor to deal with. At the same time, the distance that they will chase you for has been reduced and thus it is much easier to run away from them, so you can get some genuine adrenaline escapes. It's just shame they they glitch out so much. 

I just feel that people who exploit this on purpose will do so regardless if they have a weapon or not, because as you say it is the easy way out. 

1 hour ago, Derleth said:

So I agree that the 1.12 change to .357 is a sensible change although I must admit I have thoroughly enjoyed using the Deagle during 1.11. A scoped and suppressed sidearm that oneshots zombies and players alike, what's NOT to like, right?

While I hate what they've done to my Deagle, it is "sensible" I spose. But it was a thing of beauty to see some arsehole come at you with an AK blazing like crazy and you could put him away with one shot from a pistol. 😍

It was also my fave zombie tool. Clearing a load of zeds was fairly simple and straightforward. And hunting didn't require me to have to shoot something more than once.

There was also something very satisfying just carrying a sidearm for everything.

So I'll miss the old Deagle now because of the nerf. It's not better than a regular .45 which is easier to find and the ammo is more plentiful. I just won't be wasting time using it now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, William Sternritter said:

one of the reasons why I dislike the current infected spawning system where they spawn in the area you are in and keep spawning as you move through town. Takes the win away when you avoid them or manage to fool them and then the next batch just literally spawns next to you. Same goes for the food and drink system, what good is it that you manage when you're dying of starvation again in 100 meters?

The new infected are only going to make surviving at the beginning even harder than it is now in 1.11. And it's tough enough as it is.

The food system has been borked for a while now. Toon's constantly having to stuff themselves is bloody absurd.