Kyiara

DayZ in 2021

2 hours ago, Derleth said:

I agree. My point is just that gear (and bases) is something that comes and goes. They’re talking about three wipes in a year, I’d wager most players go through ten times that number of lives or more during that time. It’s not that bad, I know of community servers that wipe every other month. I think it is uncalled for personally, on my own servers I don’t wipe unless I absolutely have to because the database has been corrupted. I simply don’t think it is that big of a deal when it happens though.

Yeah, this is a good point. I think for me, it's just...it's a betrayal of something inherent about the promise, the spirit of the game. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

And yes, there probably are many players that would go through several toons in the space of a business quarter and will die due to the game's mechanics and basically their number was up. But that's not the same as being eliminated in a server wipe.

With all due respect, I do not see the difference between having to start over due to a bullet through the head or because of a server wipe.

21 hours ago, McWendy said:

Oke so we have no clue how to regulate the central loot economy and/or make a decent degrade or integration of buried/stashed loot. Therefore our sollution is to Just wipe everything every quarter. 

We say its because other games do it, but infact have no time, resources and Will to change it. 

Also we Just keep introducing more fire arms because that takes no effort at all its Just reskins with some values changes here and there. At least we got that mechanic right. But PVP is the road to go because that creates online content and increase in sales.

Furthermore we say stuff to keep you interested but have no actual plan at all. 

Ffs really is this the roadmap? You now actually showed your hand and people can finally move on. Thanks for that.

I can remember a game description asking: How long can you survive the apocalyptic wilderness of DayZ?! Well appearently 3-4 months then they Will kill my character..... Wtf

Also still no bow or other survival mechanics improvements.... 

This is a sad sad day for people who invested in the EA of this game, hoping after 7 years that they Will eventually get that zombie survival game. But no. The dream is dead.

totally agree now, that part on wiping servers every 3 to 4 months just really got to me. and like you said, the game encourages you to survive by any means possible. in that description of what they are going to do in the roadmap has just destroyed the core value of the game...... welcome to the game notsodayzanymore.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

3 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

Then I would propose getting rid of the IN_CARGO, IN_HOARDER, IN_PLAYER parameters that were introduced a few updates back, because they are WITHOUT DOUBT the absolute worst additions to the loot economy that has ever been implemented in DayZ. If "balance" is what the devs are after, get shot of those limitations because they do nothing for the game.

Wiping every player's progress every few months is the nuclear option and, frankly, an appalling idea.

The same issue will remain, more guns spawning in means more hoarding. Admittedly it would increase interactions at military bases. I believe that stashes & barrels should despawn in less than a week & building should be totally remodelled with a tool cupboard approach instead of the Flag pole, requiring people to actually ram materials on a regular basis to keep there bases alive & the only way to stop loot despawning is to house it in a base. Also bring back gun bags & make it impossible to store guns on character except on the shoulder or in a gun bag to reduce alt characters being used on console as storage lockers.  

Disappointing report/road map and I hope you add something to it Adam. Especially DayZ with its long history of pretty subpar communication strat should be more aware of the feelings and expectations of the community.

A post supposedly overviewing the whole year should be more extensive and cover more areas of the game. Otherwise it is no surprise what the result will be: people will naturally assume that topics that were not addressed are unknown and/or ignored and/or deliberately not-touched upon. Which invites speculation and is almost always pretty bad PR and hurting you.

Considering that dropping Namalsk was a boon for the franchise, it is especially notable how little actually happened besides that. And several posters already mentioned the so called "elephants in the room". Of course these might vary from standpoint to standpoint, but a couple of them always reappear.
If you do not want to listen to forums or "normal" community, maybe start a poll or do a small workshop with key people "in the know"?
You need serious guidance through the jungle of DayZ bugs and help to find the correct course.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

On 3/8/2021 at 8:42 AM, Kyiara said:

we do want to make sure there’s an ending (and a new beginning) every 3-4 months.

You will be turning DayZ into a zero-sum game. On a long enough timeline, the only way to win will be not to play.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

1 hour ago, TheYetiBum said:

The same issue will remain, more guns spawning in means more hoarding.

But what it won't mean is that the hoarding eliminates the possibility of other players getting top tier weaponry. The hoarders can hoard all the AK's they want, but the map will still spawn them allowing other players to find them.

In other words, hoarding doesn't mean that the map won't spawn the high value loot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, amadieus said:

With all due respect, I do not see the difference between having to start over due to a bullet through the head or because of a server wipe.

Well I get that, one is part the game and the other is an arbitrary reset of everything that you cannot avoid no matter what you do. I just doesn't bother me that much personally and even though I can understand where the frustration comes from, I have a hard time understanding why anyone would ragequit over it.

One thing strikes me as odd though - there was not a single wipe on the official hive between 1.0 and 1.11 - and now they're going to wipe every 3-4 months. It's a pretty remarkable shift in philosophy, and I very much doubt performance or duping has anything to do with it. They claim "balance", so what balance? Economy? As in high grade gear being buried away and unavailable? That is easy to fix - either don't track it in storage or reduce the efficiency of hoarding. Don't allow crates to be buried, make rifles not fit in drybags, reduce the amount of barrels, make buried stashes last less time etc etc. I can think of many other ways to keep the economy circulating without cleaning the slate every few months.

Edited by Derleth

2 hours ago, mathieu mauron said:

Bullshit, really not reallistic, welcome to call of duty...... 

then you create a realistic table instead of calling bullshit.

i'm waiting. or is calling bullshit than creating something yourself too much for you?

• Beans 1

I'm gonna be all done when the guy I've kept alive for three or four months or the base my friends and I have defended for as long are just wiped out. I can see maybe once a year but every quarter seems to go so against the point. The 'just keep alive' approach to this game is what attracted me to it. This will be too frustrating. Instead of that how about you give us stats.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Derleth said:

Well I get that, one is part the game and the other is an arbitrary reset of everything that you cannot avoid no matter what you do. I just doesn't bother me that much personally and even though I can understand where the frustration comes from, I have a hard time understanding why anyone would ragequit over it.

Well I get the frustration when building bases. It takes some good effort to build one and to just see it get removed after a couple of months feels wrong. But I honestly can't fathom why anyone would be bothered to lose a geared character. I mean, I sometimes even kill my character on purpose to get a fresh start as a good fun part of the game is looting and feeling that progression that you make with your character. And I know that the idea of the game is to survive as long as possible, but let's be honest. Unless you hide in a forest non-stop you will get killed eventually. So I really do not see this as a good argument on why not to have these wipes. I mean, so instead of a server wipe a player's character will be shot to death two days later.

However, it is not that I agree with the choice of the devs. Personally I would just wipe it once a year, in January or February. Gives the players a nice fresh reset but also makes sure you can build something up during the year as well. 3-4 months is just too short when you build a nice sizeable base. Nonetheless, just like you I just do not get these ragequits...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amadieus said:

Ummm....well, I don't know if I can explain it any simpler.

I spose that, yes, the outcome is the same. But the journey to that outcome is radically different, where one (getting shot, falling off a high building) is a result of playing the game and the other (switching the server off) is getting buggered no matter what you do, if you know what I mean.

Edited by Tonyeh
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Derleth said:

One thing strikes me as odd though - there was not a single wipe on the official hive between 1.0 and 1.11 - and now they're going to wipe every 3-4 months. It's a pretty remarkable shift in philosophy, and I very much doubt performance or duping has anything to do with it. They claim "balance", so what balance? Economy? As in high grade gear being buried away and unavailable? That is easy to fix - either don't track it in storage or reduce the efficiency of hoarding. Don't allow crates to be buried, make rifles not fit in drybags, reduce the amount of barrels, make buried stashes last less time etc etc. I can think of many other ways to keep the economy circulating without cleaning the slate every few months.

I am really curious as to what data they are looking at that informed that decisions. Did the heatmaps across both maps shift dramatically enough post-wipe to make them say "this seems like a good thing?"  

1 hour ago, Tonyeh said:

I spose that, yes, the outcome is the same. But the journey to that outcome is radically different, where one (getting shot, falling off a high building) is a result of playing the game and the other (switching the server off) is getting buggered no matter what you do, if you know what I mean.

Yeah im on this camp aswell. 

If you die ingame You messed yourself up. Learn from the mistake and try again (bugs not taken into account) 

If you get wiped by intent of the developers They messed you up. 

Its Just a bad mechanic for a survival game. Which is implemented to work around other bad mechanics.

Whats next? A payment form to backup your character? A battle pass to start with Gear and leveled soft skills? A Spawn in point system like scum?

Ah crap i gave Them monetized ideas..

• Like 4

On 3/9/2021 at 5:17 AM, thepoey said:

i don't get the complaints about durability. it's still a video game. the health of items still has to be gamified to accommodate an average play session. 

No, not in a survival game. That is how you get a battle royal on the coast out of it but that just us not what the game is supposed to be, judging by everything else. Characters that should survive for weeks or months which is not uncommon in DayZ need that realistic durability of items. And seriously, you want to tell me you like playing "Get new shoes every hour simulator"? Even in the game it makes zero sense for the items to be this crap.

Also, I don't remember anyone complaining that items are too durable please reduce it 🙂 this is just the devs regularly playing around with values that should have been decided years ago. Now it feels like there is no vision for the game, just chasing trends and trying what sticks and that is not a good sign at all. 

Edited by William Sternritter
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

And yes, there probably are many players that would go through several toons in the space of a business quarter and will die due to the game's mechanics and basically their number was up. But that's not the same as being eliminated in a server wipe.

With my luck I'm sure it will be the case that I'll die a few times and then get a really nice start with a char that I'll nurture and care about which will be wiped a week after 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you’re intending of doing numerous wipes you might consider taking the base building away from the game and concentrate on weapons and then calling the game something else for example if you had just bought the game and struggle to get away from the coastline on official on the promise but you get used to it and get further and further and maybe set up camp to keep adding and building it safer so you can survive longer for someone who maybe gets a couple of hours a night and a few more at the weekends stands no chance of lasting long in the game if you can’t build somewhere safe if you’re lucky enough to go up through the map I know there’s different types of gameplay from solo players to groups but what you’re doing for one you’re taking it away from the other for the solo player who plays a couple of hours might as well stay round by the coast and hit each other with glow sticks because those no way of progressing and staying safe but it also will stop groups going up the map building large bases i’m becoming untouchable so maybe I do understand that you’re torn between the two  as a solo player myself I feel you’re taking the whole dayz gaming experience away when you put a lot of time and effort going from one place to another to build yourself up I really can’t see the point to the extent of not playing when I really enjoy what you have done and how you do things and what you can get out of the game i’ve not touched any of my other games since I purchased dayz I admit I was a late starter and I missed out on the early days it seems like you’re trying to make it call of duty but on the wider map and taking the survival away from it in the end of the day you called it dayz A game of survival and sometimes its as hard as it is but then you get a break and go on a good run but what’s the point if you’re going to take it away from us time after time so my question is Will the wiping ever end depending on your answer is depending if I play or not  sorry for the rant and it might be only me who feels this way 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

Fair enough. Guess this is a mindset thing or something, as for me personally I don't mind losing my character with a wipe. But yeah every 3-4 months is too much.

• Like 1

Вы всерьёз думаете что добавления аружия будет культом того что игроки ждут от вас  вы исправте те ошибки которые приследует вас с начала выпуска этой игры а это транспорт который не связан с поверхость как и животные и персонаж они большенство проваливаются под тектуры

26 minutes ago, amadieus said:

Fair enough. Guess this is a mindset thing or something, as for me personally I don't mind losing my character with a wipe. But yeah every 3-4 months is too much.

Well that is exactly the point. Wipe once a year maybe twice is kinda ok for stability sake or whatever, but the proposed frequency plus the randomness of it is what makes it a bad proposal. Sounds to me more like clean slate for balancing passes = more random tinkering with loot economy, durability and so on 🙄

And again this is just a whole bunch of hot air...

Bringing in more weapons, especially firearms does not hurt but is not a thing that is really needed. Contaminated zones is also nothing new...it is of course an awesome feature but yeah it has been announced and shown to us 4 or 5 years ago. Infected AI and Infected spawn systems has been a pain in the behind since the very start, so thank you for improving it after all these years...Bugfixes...if bugfixing and ballancing are part of a roadmap then we know that there is not really that much on the horizon to be excited for.

NO WORD about progress being made on the Enfusion Engine...Nothing about the one and only thing that really matters right now...server performance /physics...No word on new vehicles....No word about the shitty lighting ....

New content will be new guns and gear like Hazmat Suits/Gear and Decontamination Showers etc. I guess...stuff that has already been made for Arma3 Contact expansion like Livonia.....not a bad thing but well...

• Beans 2

7 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

No, not in a survival game. That is how you get a battle royal on the coast out of it but that just us not what the game is supposed to be, judging by everything else. Characters that should survive for weeks or months which is not uncommon in DayZ need that realistic durability of items. And seriously, you want to tell me you like playing "Get new shoes every hour simulator"? Even in the game it makes zero sense for the items to be this crap.

Also, I don't remember anyone complaining that items are too durable please reduce it 🙂 this is just the devs regularly playing around with values that should have been decided years ago. Now it feels like there is no vision for the game, just chasing trends and trying what sticks and that is not a good sign at all. 

Yes, even in a survival game. 🙄🙄🙄🙄

What is the point of “survival mechanics” if items last you for days or weeks at a time, and do not tax your resources. At that point, those mechanics may as well not exist. So you want survival mechanics but you also want them to have extreme durability to the point where the repair mechanics don’t matter? Makes zero sense. Want to remove the stamina meter too? Characters that exist for weeks at a time shouldn’t get tired! 

An average session of DayZ is what, 3 or 4 hours? With the changes you’re talking about, you’d have a problem with item durability maybe once a month. 

Also, you’re exaggerating A LOT about how much items, like shoes break completely. It’s something you have to check once or twice a play session, depending on what you’re wearing and where you are at. It’s not that big of a deal. It’s part of a larger cycle of resource taxing. Different shoes have different values. Play a modded server if it’s too difficult for you? 

DayZ has a lot of issues but this isn’t remotely one of them. Item balance is in a good place for the most part. Realism has to draw the line somewhere. The day/night cycle in real life also isn’t 3 hours.

Edited by thepoey
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

Yeh, the thing about this durability messing is that it's so unnecessary. A few patches ago the durability of shoes and boots was absolutely fine. You got a decent amount of time out of a pair and eventually you had to go seeking new ones. Now it's like a pair of boots won't even last a game day especially if you're on a road. It's prudent to carry a spare pair with you everywhere you go because they're so flimsy. I've bought some cheap shoes in my time, but DayZ's footwear takes the mickey.

But the knives durability is beyond a joke. Why anyone thought that they needed "tweaking" is beyond me. They were grand in 1.09. Nobody was complaining. Now every knife (including heavy duty hunter and combat knives) has the lifetime of plastic take away cutlery you get with your Chinese on a Friday night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, thepoey said:

Yes, even in a survival game. 🙄🙄🙄🙄

What is the point of “survival mechanics” if items last you for days or weeks at a time, and do not tax your resources. At that point, those mechanics may as well not exist. So you want survival mechanics but you also want them to have extreme durability to the point where the repair mechanics don’t matter? Makes zero sense. Want to remove the stamina meter too? Characters that exist for weeks at a time shouldn’t get tired! 

An average session of DayZ is what, 3 or 4 hours? With the changes you’re talking about, you’d have a problem with item durability maybe once a month. 

Also, you’re exaggerating A LOT about how much items, like shoes break completely. It’s something you have to check once or twice a play session, depending on what you’re wearing and where you are at. It’s not that big of a deal. It’s part of a larger cycle of resource taxing. Different shoes have different values. Play a modded server if it’s too difficult for you? 

DayZ has a lot of issues but this isn’t remotely one of them. Item balance is in a good place for the most part. Realism has to draw the line somewhere. The day/night cycle in real life also isn’t 3 hours.

Not only that I disagree, but you are completely wrong on this and the day/night cycle just proves the point. Day/night cycle isn't three hours unless you set it so. I have been asking for 1x time lapse, that is full day and full night, on official server since at least the release of 1.0. That is how it was set before and that is how it should be set. Perhaps you should not be talking about playing on modded servers for easy mode,  because you obviously do if that is the day/night cycle you know. 

Survival is not regularly fixing items and some items you should not worry about for the lifetime of your character. This is not difficulty. Difficulty and survival is dealing with elements, infected, other players, injuries etc. Not hunting for a new knife because I've cut one chicken and a bush. There is no exaggeration in that statement. Realism draws the line when you can cut a chicken to perfectly shaped breasts in 10 seconds, when you grow produce in 10 minutes and so on. That is where the gamification is needed and it is there. Artificial need to replace items is grind. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

With my luck I'm sure it will be the case that I'll die a few times and then get a really nice start with a char that I'll nurture and care about which will be wiped a week after 😄 

Yeh, this will be me too. I can just see it now....I stumble upon my beloved AKM, with a suppressor, a scope and two full mags of ammo.

083363697217ae4187e07901987ff035.jpg

Then I'll log in the next time and find myself back in a pair of knickers and a T-Shirt because someone hit restart on the server.

template-flipping-tables-1096-0c6db91aec

• Like 1
  • Haha 2