Kyiara

DayZ in 2021

21 minutes ago, William Sternritter said:

Not only that I disagree, but you are completely wrong on this and the day/night cycle just proves the point. Day/night cycle isn't three hours unless you set it so. I have been asking for 1x time lapse, that is full day and full night, on official server since at least the release of 1.0. That is how it was set before and that is how it should be set. Perhaps you should not be talking about playing on modded servers for easy mode,  because you obviously do if that is the day/night cycle you know. 

Survival is not regularly fixing items and some items you should not worry about for the lifetime of your character. This is not difficulty. Difficulty and survival is dealing with elements, infected, other players, injuries etc. Not hunting for a new knife because I've cut one chicken and a bush. There is no exaggeration in that statement. Realism draws the line when you can cut a chicken to perfectly shaped breasts in 10 seconds, when you grow produce in 10 minutes and so on. That is where the gamification is needed and it is there. Artificial need to replace items is grind. 

Vanilla DayZ day/night cycle is 3 hours. 2 hours Day, One hour Night. 

You’re not going to get a full 24 hour cycle on vanilla. That’s just not living in reality. It has to be generally sped up to accommodate a wide range of players that may play at different times of the day and in different time zones. It’s not about making it “real” or harder, and there are 24 hour modded servers if you really want that.

And yes you’re greatly exaggerating the health cost and inconvenience of items to prove some kind of weird point. You also can’t magically fix a broken leg by putting a split together in 3 seconds either. End of the day, it’s a video game. I’m all for making the survival elements of the game harder, there just has to be a practically to it. There’s probably some room for a balance still, sure, but you’re not going to get the kind of “realism” you want in a video game with ZOMBIES. 

I don’t know what game you’re playing where you ruin a knife by cutting a bush and a chicken. That’s not how it works at all, so I’m just gonna agree to disagree with your philosophy on this one. 

43 minutes ago, thepoey said:

Vanilla DayZ day/night cycle is 3 hours. 2 hours Day, One hour Night. 

You’re not going to get a full 24 hour cycle on vanilla. That’s just not living in reality. It has to be generally sped up to accommodate a wide range of players that may play at different times of the day and in different time zones. It’s not about making it “real” or harder, and there are 24 hour modded servers if you really want that.

These are the default (vanilla) DayZ server settings. Time acceleration set to 1, so each hour on the server lasts an hour in real life 😉 

serverTimeAcceleration = 1;        // Accelerated Time - The numerical value being a multiplier (0.1-64). Thus, in case it is set to 24, time would move 24 times faster than normal. An entire day would pass in one hour.

serverNightTimeAcceleration = 1;// Accelerated Nigh Time - The numerical value being a multiplier (0.1-64) and also multiplied by serverTimeAcceleration value.

// Thus, in case it is set to 4 and serverTimeAcceleration is set to 2, night time would move 8 times faster than normal.

// An entire night would pass in 3 hours

1 hour ago, William Sternritter said:

These are the default (vanilla) DayZ server settings. Time acceleration set to 1, so each hour on the server lasts an hour in real life 😉 

serverTimeAcceleration = 1;        // Accelerated Time - The numerical value being a multiplier (0.1-64). Thus, in case it is set to 24, time would move 24 times faster than normal. An entire day would pass in one hour.

serverNightTimeAcceleration = 1;// Accelerated Nigh Time - The numerical value being a multiplier (0.1-64) and also multiplied by serverTimeAcceleration value.

// Thus, in case it is set to 4 and serverTimeAcceleration is set to 2, night time would move 8 times faster than normal.

// An entire night would pass in 3 hours

Official servers don't use this, at least not on console. So, even if it's the "default", it's not what people logging onto the Official "vanilla" servers are going to experience, which is what most people playing the game are going to experience. The unmodded, official experience, is set at 3 hours. Given how broken nightvision is, and how duping seems to be a huge problem anyway, I think that's generally fine. And for some people, you may only get to play for 3 hours in a given day. You shouldn't be at the whim of your schedule and be stuck playing only at night just because that's when the server happens to line up with your free time. This seems generally fair and balanced for the "Official" experience. 3 hours of darkness is long time. 3 hour cycle, maybe 4, let's someone experience the entire Day/Night cycle in one sitting.  

Edit: And unfortunately, you know what most likely happens with a 3 hour night cycle? People log off. The server dumps out. Keeping it relatively short, at least keeps night time spicy and addresses the realities of the playerbase. 

Edited by thepoey

1 hour ago, thepoey said:

Official servers don't use this, at least not on console. So, even if it's the "default", it's not what people logging onto the Official "vanilla" servers are going to experience, which is what most people playing the game are going to experience. The unmodded, official experience, is set at 3 hours. Given how broken nightvision is, and how duping seems to be a huge problem anyway, I think that's generally fine. And for some people, you may only get to play for 3 hours in a given day. You shouldn't be at the whim of your schedule and be stuck playing only at night just because that's when the server happens to line up with your free time. This seems generally fair and balanced for the "Official" experience. 3 hours of darkness is long time. 3 hour cycle, maybe 4, let's someone experience the entire Day/Night cycle in one sitting.  

Edit: And unfortunately, you know what most likely happens with a 3 hour night cycle? People log off. The server dumps out. Keeping it relatively short, at least keeps night time spicy and addresses the realities of the playerbase. 

So you do like to play it easy, rather log off during the night and so on 😛 ... well, sure you can, there are enough servers to accommodate that, some have permanent day if that is what you're looking for. But the intended experience is realistic day and night cycle. This is what the official servers were set to before .63 version and hardcore 1pp survival servers should be set to this cycle again. 

The intention is survival, not to give you everything DayZ has to offer in 4 hours. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, William Sternritter said:

So you do like to play it easy, rather log off during the night and so on 😛 ... well, sure you can, there are enough servers to accommodate that, some have permanent day if that is what you're looking for. But the intended experience is realistic day and night cycle. This is what the official servers were set to before .63 version and hardcore 1pp survival servers should be set to this cycle again. 

The intention is survival, not to give you everything DayZ has to offer in 4 hours. 

No, I usually play throughout the night. But I don't have 8 hours worth of time to play the game in a given day if I want to be able to sit through an in-game "day".  I like being able to experience the full day/night cycle in a sit down. 
If you want a 24 hour cycle, there are plenty to accommodate you. Official is fine the way it is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, William Sternritter said:

True, but to add to that. If I log in and can only play in the evening (which by having a full time job, wife and kids is highly likely) and join NL (because ping) servers they are always dark. Its almost always evening there too. 

That's not right either is it? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McWendy said:

True, but to add to that. If I log in and can only play in the evening (which by having a full time job, wife and kids is highly likely) and join NL (because ping) servers they are always dark. Its almost always evening there too. 

That's not right either is it? 

Servers don't have to be aligned with real world time that is up to the server owner, in this case Bohemia. If there was a 1x EU server that has day during the evening and night, then you know it will be day on that server regardless if you login at 18:00 or 22:00, exactly for us who have daytime jobs. The thing you currently don't like is exactly the effect of time acceleration, because the night comes too soon and it's dark when you have time to play.

Edited by William Sternritter

6 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

Servers don't have to be aligned with real world time that is up to the server owner, in this case Bohemia. If there was a 1x EU server that has day during the evening and night, then you know it will be day on that server regardless if you login at 18:00 or 22:00, exactly for us who have daytime jobs. The thing you currently don't like is exactly the effect of time acceleration, because the night comes too soon and it's dark when you have time to play.

You should know by now that Bohemia doesn't diversefy things 😉 i dont mind that its dark, Just that its always dark.

But hey im glad i switched over to namalsk, it doesn't effect ME anymore. But a lot that play official do.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, McWendy said:

You should know by now that Bohemia doesn't diversefy things 😉 i dont mind that its dark, Just that its always dark.

But hey im glad i switched over to namalsk, it doesn't effect ME anymore. But a lot that play official do.

Which is why I have a gripe with how the servers are setup. Even between the four EU hardcore 1pp servers they could easily give us some variability, but no. They are stuck on the same settings since 0.63.

• Like 1

Greetings

Very disappointed with your goal of frequent wipes on officials every 3-4 months, which could be the thing that turns me away from the game :

Long term persistence and 1st person hardcore servers are the reasons why I keep playing.

Not ever getting assault rifles because of the economy tricked by dupers is annoying (dupers being obviously the real problem everyone is complaining about), but knowing I will lose all my work every 4 months or so feels a lot worse.
It takes all the fun and purpose away.

On playstation, i'm kind of forced to play only on officials because there are close to zero 1st person community servers (or it's servers like airfield deathmatch and stuff). Not even to mention hardcore mode which is also rare.
My point is that people who are ok with 3rd person and dislike the idea of frequent wipes can at least turn to community servers; which isn't possible for 1st person. At least on consoles. 

Therefore I think you really have to consider options to save the 1st person console servers in particular and try keep the small 1PP player base you have.
I have friends who will also stop playing if this goes this way. Might be the case for many.

Regards

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, JudgeHolden said:

where are the bows . . .

I also want to know why we can't craft bows, arrows, and a quiver 😩

On 3/9/2021 at 9:51 PM, Tonyeh said:

But what it won't mean is that the hoarding eliminates the possibility of other players getting top tier weaponry. The hoarders can hoard all the AK's they want, but the map will still spawn them allowing other players to find them.

In other words, hoarding doesn't mean that the map won't spawn the high value loot.

This may be the case on PC but on Xbox especially when everyone has 10 accounts using one paid version of DayZ. Who simple log on there alt accounts sat at every mili base & potential crash site farming loot all day or simply picking it up & throwing into the woods so no one else can get at it. Admittedly that's a game breaking flaw with Xbox not the fault of Bohemia. Also what you suggest just means everyones running arond with Tier 4 weapons & running back to the coast to annihilate eachother like when Duplicaton was of the scale, doesnt exactly make a great gameplay loop when you can run to NWAF in less than 30mins from the coast & be fully geared

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, TheYetiBum said:

This may be the case on PC but on Xbox especially when everyone has 10 accounts using one paid version of DayZ. Who simple log on there alt accounts sat at every mili base & potential crash site farming loot all day or simply picking it up & throwing into the woods so no one else can get at it. Admittedly that's a game breaking flaw with Xbox not the fault of Bohemia. Also what you suggest just means everyones running arond with Tier 4 weapons & running back to the coast to annihilate eachother like when Duplicaton was of the scale, doesnt exactly make a great gameplay loop when you can run to NWAF in less than 30mins from the coast & be fully geared

It may end up being the case that every one can end up with an AKM, but so what?

At the moment, we have a situation where the vast bulk of players never even see those weapons, because a handful of people on each server can just eliminate them from existence. That's not a good gameplay mechanic no matter what happens if the "count weapon" flags are gotten rid of.

And if players do want to grab an assault rifle and head to the nearest scrap, again so what? That type of player is going to do that anyway. They won't ever be stopped from doing that. It's been a thing with DayZ forever. The same as players who only play as snipers, which I have never understood.

But there are plenty of people who play DayZ like me, who generally avoid other people and/or firefights if they can. But like to have access to decent weapons, of which the AK and AR families are, simply because the increase your chance of survival, which is the point of the game. The next best thing to an assault rifle to carry is an SKS, which is a poor alternative indeed. I have an AR at the moment (which I found just lying around ironically) and without it I would have been bear food last night. The 30 round mag I put into Mr. Bear is what helped me win the day and the 10 rounds in an SKS wouldn't have cut it. Neither would the .45 rounds in the USG I had before I found the AR.

However, if people are uncomfortable with getting rid of the "count weapon" flags, the other option is to make weapons of more common type actually worth picking up. At the moment there is ZERO reason to even bother with something like .380 because it's so rubbish even against zeds and bambi's. Even 9mm is crap. I'd like to see all the damage values of ammo increased to actually make them something to be reckoned with, cos at the moment shooting at anyone/anything with below .45 calibre is next to pointless and, frankly, no player should be walking away from several .380 bullets pumped into them, which is what regularly happens in DayZ.

14 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

However, if people are uncomfortable with getting rid of the "count weapon" flags, the other option is to make weapons of more common type actually worth picking up. At the moment there is ZERO reason to even bother with something like .380 because it's so rubbish even against zeds and bambi's. Even 9mm is crap. I'd like to see all the damage values of ammo increased to actually make them something to be reckoned with, cos at the moment shooting at anyone/anything with below .45 calibre is next to pointless and, frankly, no player should be walking away from several .380 bullets pumped into them, which is what regularly happens in DayZ.

Yes, frakly speaking even AKs and M4s are quite shit, or rarher their cartriges. In CQB I rather take a shotgun, because that will put a man down. From a distance I'll rather shoot with a rifle.

But these were all set quite correctly not that long ago. So again, the devs are just changing values based on a dice roll I guess ... 

Dont forget, the sledgehammer works wonders in really tight spaces. 🙂

Guy got a single shot rifle? Take the Fight to him 

😉

24 minutes ago, McWendy said:

Dont forget, the sledgehammer works wonders in really tight spaces. 🙂

Guy got a single shot rifle? Take the Fight to him 

😉

Snuggles overcome struggles 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

Yes, frakly speaking even AKs and M4s are quite shit, or rarher their cartriges. In CQB I rather take a shotgun, because that will put a man down. From a distance I'll rather shoot with a rifle.

But these were all set quite correctly not that long ago. So again, the devs are just changing values based on a dice roll I guess ... 

I have a feeling the upcoming balancing effort intending to increase the occurence of unconsciousness instead of instadeath can bring about this. Even if four or five makarov shots don't kill you outright you should never ever be able to sprint away after that as if  nothing happened... One thing I would also like to see is that taking a body shot while wearing body armour will knock you off your feet or at least knock the breath out of your lungs (=depleted temp stamina). Likewise headshots that do not kill due to missing the brain, or helmets soaking some of the damage, should knock the player unconscious. And uncon duration should vary depending on situation. I'm looking forward to whatever comes.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Derleth said:

And uncon duration should vary depending on situation. I'm looking forward to whatever comes.

I miss it that you could be uncon for like 10-20 minutes back in 0.62. Had some good memories from that time.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, amadieus said:

I miss it that you could be uncon for like 10-20 minutes back in 0.62. Had some good memories from that time.

That was a Nice feature, down side of that was that after waiting those 20 minutes the game still could decide your death. 

I dont want to stare at a black screen for that time and then still see the dreaded; you are dead, message. Especially when my mates are heart massaging and epi-penning for the life of it. 

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

3 hours ago, McWendy said:

That was a Nice feature, down side of that was that after waiting those 20 minutes the game still could decide your death. 

I dont want to stare at a black screen for that time and then still see the dreaded; you are dead, message. Especially when my mates are heart massaging and epi-penning for the life of it. 

Guess that is part of the excitement. Will I make it or not? Once I killed a guy with a shotty, but he had hit me hard from up close with a rifle. I heard infected screaming, so I went inside asap and bandaged my bleeding wound. Before I fell uncon I could still close the door so I would remain safe of the infected. Guess I was uncon for around 15 minutes.

20 minutes might be a bit too long though. I would already be happy if they would make it max 10 min. But when someone is massaging your heart, use an epi-pen or defibrillator it should never take 10 minutes. It should go much and much faster then. Right now resuscitation is pretty much useless as you are uncon for just 30 seconds. So I think that a prolonged uncon state is a win-win for the game.

Edited by amadieus
  • Like 2
  • Beans 1

On 3/11/2021 at 4:45 PM, Tonyeh said:

It may end up being the case that every one can end up with an AKM, but so what?

At the moment, we have a situation where the vast bulk of players never even see those weapons, because a handful of people on each server can just eliminate them from existence. That's not a good gameplay mechanic no matter what happens if the "count weapon" flags are gotten rid of.

And if players do want to grab an assault rifle and head to the nearest scrap, again so what? That type of player is going to do that anyway. They won't ever be stopped from doing that. It's been a thing with DayZ forever. The same as players who only play as snipers, which I have never understood.

But there are plenty of people who play DayZ like me, who generally avoid other people and/or firefights if they can. But like to have access to decent weapons, of which the AK and AR families are, simply because the increase your chance of survival, which is the point of the game. The next best thing to an assault rifle to carry is an SKS, which is a poor alternative indeed. I have an AR at the moment (which I found just lying around ironically) and without it I would have been bear food last night. The 30 round mag I put into Mr. Bear is what helped me win the day and the 10 rounds in an SKS wouldn't have cut it. Neither would the .45 rounds in the USG I had before I found the AR.

Totally agree that 9mm, .45 and .380 need some kind of buff, at the moment they're way too weak, especially against bears and plate carriers. Buckshot and the KAS are the only real alternatives to the full-size ARs right now.

I'd rather that than make the full size ARs more common. I could count on one hand the amount I found in my first year of playing because I played a low risk game, now I lose/find multiple ARs and helicopter guns a week because I chase gunshots for PVP. Even more since update 1.10 and the loot changes that it brought. The full size ARs are there, and they're not hard to find, but they're already on players as they should be. There's a risk/reward element to the way we play DayZ, and the rarity of the guns is very much part of that, which I came to accept is what makes DayZ, DayZ. I fear that might be lost if the counts were increased.

Edited by RZ0R
  • Like 1

have anyone in realife try to create fire with wet fresh bark and wet fresh stick?
not gonna happen...
how about skinning a cow?....it takes more than 10 seconds...
yes...dayz needs balancing.
but im thinking that im gonna die "oldness" before this game have its "balancing".

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, kopo79 said:

have anyone in realife try to create fire with wet fresh bark and wet fresh stick?
not gonna happen...
how about skinning a cow?....it takes more than 10 seconds...
yes...dayz needs balancing.
but im thinking that im gonna die "oldness" before this game have its "balancing".

Tried, yes. Succeeded, no 😉

Have you ever tried putting a cooking pot in your pants? I think that should be the new insta Challenge. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RZ0R said:

Totally agree that 9mm, .45 and .380 need some kind of buff, at the moment they're way too weak, especially against bears and plate carriers. Buckshot and the KAS are the only real alternatives to the full-size ARs right now.

I'd rather that than make the full size ARs more common. I could count on one hand the amount I found in my first year of playing because I played a low risk game, now I lose/find multiple ARs and helicopter guns a week because I chase gunshots for PVP. Even more since update 1.10 and the loot changes that it brought. The full size ARs are there, and they're not hard to find, but they're already on players as they should be. There's a risk/reward element to the way we play DayZ, and the rarity of the guns is very much part of that, which I came to accept is what makes DayZ, DayZ. I fear that might be lost if the counts were increased.

A couple of shots from a .45 weapon should be enough to bring any man down. Having people run off after you've hit them a few times with a weapon of that calibre is dumb AFAIC and I've seen it happen.

But TBH if getting rid of the "count weapon" flags increases the availability of AR weaponry I'd still do it in a second, because I hate those idiotic lines of code.

In any case, if I had my way, I'd have no military grade weapons in DayZ at all. It would all be handguns, shotguns and civilian rifles. But they would be far more lethal than they are currently (shotguns aside of course). The military tents would be for medical items. Perhaps heli crashes might spawn the odd military gun here and there, but the ammo and mags would be super rare too.

Edited by Tonyeh