Sam353

Please Help!

Hi guys

I'm new to this game and can tell that it's something I will enjoy, the only problem I'm having is finding food. I've starved to death countless times. I've searched Apple trees and found nothing, i found a mushroom once. Every building I search has been raided and if I head inland (as far a I can get before I starve) it seems to be the same. Longest I've lasted was after finding a knife and going Hannibal Lectar. 

Appreciate any help 

• Like 1

1. stay warm, being cold makes your hunger go down faster.

2. Don't sprint everywhere you will starve faster 

3.  Go inland theres more food

4. Hunt

Ah being cold! That could be my enemy! It's been raining most of the time ive been playing cheers! 

Still crazy that you can die of starvation in less than a day! 

20 minutes ago, Sam353 said:

Still crazy that you can die of starvation in less than a day! 

It's a game mechanic. If it was totally realistic you'd only need to eat a can of beans every few days which would make looting pointless which in turn makes the game pointless. It needs to be this challenging in order to give motivation. 

Yeah I know, I'm just making excuses for the shear number of times I've died to that darn mechanic! I'll get there soon I hope! Ha ha 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sam353 said:

Yeah I know, I'm just making excuses for the shear number of times I've died to that darn mechanic! I'll get there soon I hope! Ha ha 

I've died a canny few times too, been so used to having it easy! I was watching TRMZ last night and he died a few times to the elements. He said the same, so used to having it easy prior to the update, survival basics have become a real priority now. 

19 hours ago, Sam353 said:

most of us here on the forum are from game preview, at least the ones who know what they're talking about, we have been gradually eased into this kind of survival, update by update, I can see how it would seem quite difficult for a newcomer, just jog everywhere, loot every house you come across and you will find the food you need to survive, once you learn the game/map you will be able to sprint to your hearts content without dying.

• Like 1

Surving 101:     all you need is a knife. Running inland is the main goal but pointless if you dont set your self up first.  Priority is finding a knife. Steak knife, kitchen knife, machete, hunting knife combated knife.  Houses and sheds will most like have these except the last two.  If you cant find one  of these then look for a pick axe or sledge hammer. Find the river and use these on the boulders to make "small stones"   2 small stones  will craft a stone knife.   

Step 2: once a knife is acquired use your ears..  livestock is in this game for a reason most towns have chickens, sheep or goats  nearby. Listen for them and locate one..  chickens are the easiest to kill as they have less hp to kill.

Step3. Once you kill, skin and collect  both meat and bones with your knife use the bones and knife to craft a fishing hook. 

Step4- fire:    use your knife on a tree and collect bark 5 pieces will be enough.   Use your hands and cur down a bush.  You want short sticks as well as one long stick.  Use your bark and short stick to craft a fire place.     Use your short stick and bark to also craft a hand drill. Once your hand drill is made use it to ignite your fire.  Add the left over short sticks to the fire.

Step5: grab your long stick in hand and drag your chicken down to combine     roast your chicken  wait one full circle to roast other wise you'll get sick from food poisoning. Once cooked   cook your other piece  as fire will die soon. 

Step 6: Feast!   You have now efficiently managed to feed your self.  Go kill more food!

Keep in mind while looking for a knife find a well and drink till you are full if possible.  Dont just drink till you are in the white.  A full stomach of water will last you a good while.

Craft two knives or find two.  They dont last long if used alot.  Once you have your self feed  collect 2 stacks x6 rags.  12 total and combine to make rope.  1 long stick and one rope will make a fishing rod.  Use your knife to dig for works and add the work to your hook.  Then add the hook to your rod. You can now fish and eat better food.    Chicken dosnt give as much as fish. 

Hope this helps you and others to get your self up and running. Stay safe and good luck

Edited by Tierian

I've been playing since game preview and never really worried about food but since the last few updates foods not so easy to come by. How ever im enjoying it. I actually have to hunt, fish and cook food then stash it in burried crates. It adds a new element to the game for me that i never explored. There's something cool about chilling next to the fire roasting some steaks you just bagged from the hunt. 

Edited by Zalic

On 12/18/2019 at 3:32 PM, Sam353 said:

What map are you on? If you are in the OG map just run the coast. The flipped over little rafts have food and drinks. If on the new map look inside of green houses. Might get some veggies or seeds. Use a shovel or pickaxe to make a garden plot. Plant the seeds. Make sure you have fertilizer and a bottle of water. Growing food maybe takes 10 mins or so. If anything get a knife and find some dead bodies, cut em up an take the fat unless you want to eat human meat but the fat dont register as human meat, but the blood does carry the canibal disease so always wash your hands after cutting up a body an before eating anything. If you want someone to run you around show you some stuff hit me up. Im a solo runner but always down to party.

So I just got this game the day before yesterday. I spent some time watching youtube tutorials and reading advice before playing. I even finally figured out where I was on maps a few times. My biggest problem is that I have never once found any apples in trees or water pumps located where they say they are on the maps, so I constantly die as there is literally almost never any food stuff to be found in game.  I tried running the coast as suggested, nothing but dissapointment, a net, even found a fishing pole once, but had no clue how to use it, water was the issue that game more so than food. I get that some of you people have been playing for years and had it easier before and it got slowly harder and harder but for a person entering now, its just insane and pointless. I have to sever hop till I find someplace where I'm not in the dark or being rained on so I can at least have the benefit of being able to see and not freeze to death from being soaking wet, but even then I always die in like 40-60 mins tops. I don't sprint nearly ever, unless juking an infected. I try to avoid fighting them entirely by staying stealth when in vicinity. But there's just nothing to be found. I even choose low population servers that I assume haven't been looted yet, closed doors, some loot in some places, but the loot is all garbage, track suits and the same pair of hiking shoes over an over. When I did manage to find a water bottle, I still have yet to find a water pump. When I found a stream, I had no water bottle and was way the F out in the woods. Its just not fun at all for beginners. The controls are wonky as heck, constantly having to drop things to pick up new things and re arranging inventory. Does anyone know of any people who can coach new players, like for real walk along witht hem and show them what the heck they can do to last more than a day? I get that food water and dry clothes are priorites. But I can never find one or the other in any real supply??? If the water pumps and apple trees actually beared fruit and existed, I would have no problem at all I think surviving to some degree, but those just dont exist it seems on xbox????

Your IQ is too low for this game. Stop playing immediately. Food is the last thing i have to worry about. I'm sorry i don't want to sound harsh but populations on servers are too high with ppl with low IQs. Simply quitting the game will help everyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zalic said:

Your IQ is too low for this game. Stop playing immediately. Food is the last thing i have to worry about. I'm sorry i don't want to sound harsh but populations on servers are too high with ppl with low IQs. Simply quitting the game will help everyone.

This. This is the kind of crap making it so much harder for knew players since the last update. 

Food is not a problem for you, sure , I don't doubt it. So instead of being toxic to someone that is trying to learn the, maybe give them a few pointers? We were all beginners at some stage, don't forget that. 

Dayz is a great game, with an especially steep learning curve since the last update. Any new players that need any advice feel free to message me, GT is xDaGaNjAx. 🙂

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 1:34 PM, CommodoreRock604 said:

So I just got this game the day before yesterday. I spent some time watching youtube tutorials and reading advice before playing. I even finally figured out where I was on maps a few times. My biggest problem is that I have never once found any apples in trees or water pumps located where they say they are on the maps, so I constantly die as there is literally almost never any food stuff to be found in game.  I tried running the coast as suggested, nothing but dissapointment, a net, even found a fishing pole once, but had no clue how to use it, water was the issue that game more so than food. I get that some of you people have been playing for years and had it easier before and it got slowly harder and harder but for a person entering now, its just insane and pointless. I have to sever hop till I find someplace where I'm not in the dark or being rained on so I can at least have the benefit of being able to see and not freeze to death from being soaking wet, but even then I always die in like 40-60 mins tops. I don't sprint nearly ever, unless juking an infected. I try to avoid fighting them entirely by staying stealth when in vicinity. But there's just nothing to be found. I even choose low population servers that I assume haven't been looted yet, closed doors, some loot in some places, but the loot is all garbage, track suits and the same pair of hiking shoes over an over. When I did manage to find a water bottle, I still have yet to find a water pump. When I found a stream, I had no water bottle and was way the F out in the woods. Its just not fun at all for beginners. The controls are wonky as heck, constantly having to drop things to pick up new things and re arranging inventory. Does anyone know of any people who can coach new players, like for real walk along witht hem and show them what the heck they can do to last more than a day? I get that food water and dry clothes are priorites. But I can never find one or the other in any real supply??? If the water pumps and apple trees actually beared fruit and existed, I would have no problem at all I think surviving to some degree, but those just dont exist it seems on xbox????

The game is a learning curve mate. If I played as regularly as I used to I'd gladly show you some of the basics. Do you have the iZurvive app?

Edited by Tino81
Amendment

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 5:12 AM, Zalic said:

Don't be that guy!

Dayz.xam.nu for a detailed satilite view map. Find it works aloft better for me than the izurvive map app.

Can select what you want to see on the map 

Can even draw a line from where you are to where you want to go for a compass azimuth allowing you to stay off roads for more of a straight shot through the woods and what not. Don't forget to compensate on your compass azimuth for when you constantly go right or left around trees. It can put you way off over longer distances. If you need anymore info about that subject feel free to PM me 

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2019 at 1:48 PM, Sam353 said:

Hi guys

I'm new to this game and can tell that it's something I will enjoy, the only problem I'm having is finding food. I've starved to death countless times. I've searched Apple trees and found nothing, i found a mushroom once. Every building I search has been raided and if I head inland (as far a I can get before I starve) it seems to be the same. Longest I've lasted was after finding a knife and going Hannibal Lectar. 

Appreciate any help 

I know how you feel I started playing just today, I'm always willing to help out. I figured if I can group of people maybe we could help each other out. My gamertag is BigTexRules, I have a mic as well I'm also over 18

On 1/20/2020 at 3:01 AM, Tino81 said:

The game is a learning curve mate. If I played as regularly as I used to I'd gladly show you some of the basics. Do you have the iZurvive app?

Thanks for replying. I do have the map from iZurvive and use it often. Now a few weeks later I have finally figured out how to survive and even thrive a bit. I decided to get my own private server where I was able to figure things out without constant threat of death from over zealous players who shoot on sight. I have taken the things learned form my  private server experience and started playing public server again and I'm doing pretty good. Its not the plentiful experience of a private server( I have multiple bases, freaking 9x M4's there, and 3 working cars, one of which is a mint Olga 100% complete and matching color black) but I like the public experience better for the most part as everything I find is actually exciting now, even my best gun in public, an AK74, is pretty nice since its the only assault type rifle I have yet to come across not counting the Viaga shotguns, seem to find plenty of those but only 5 round mags for them so far, pretty useless until I find a drum mag. I even found NVG's in public, in fact 3 pairs so far, ( only kept one backup set for trade or replacement if needed,) mostly due to limited carry weight, no established public base yet, and not wanting to ruin the loot pool for others looking for them. The best part is in public I'm only about 1/3-1/2 of the way inland so far. I haven't even made it to the airfield yet, almost all of my finds so far has been from looting the base in Zelengorsk a few times a day for the past 2 days since I got there. To anyone out there having a hard time starting out, don't loose faith, it gets better to be sure. If you can afford to rent a private server for a month or more, or find a private server of someone else to join which is not Kill on Sight and has players who don't horde and are smart about looting, you can learn a lot about the game and have fun playing.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 12:12 AM, Zalic said:

Thanks for the help. With that attitude against new players joining the game it seems that you would enjoy playing in a server by yourself and be the bored as hell king of loot. All the loot and nothing to shoot but animals and infected.  Perhaps a private server of your very own would be a good fit? They have that option now for xbox. Just so you know I figured out a lot in the past few weeks and am now thriving in game. I learned by joining a private server with helpful people to teach me the ropes. I have started playing in public again for the past week and am doing pretty good. Fully military kitted,  Ballistic vest with pouches, an okay AK74 rifle with plenty of spare full mags, NVG's on my helmet for night time looting, and several cans of canned bacon to keep me fueled.  This game does have a learning curve, no doubt about it. Guessing from your level of forum posting on here, I'm assuming that you have been playing for quite some time. Not everyone had the benefit of playing for months/years to figure this game out through the many changes and adapt to them. I started out on 1.06, a glitch filled mess of a game with very little food to be found as a new spawn who was afraid of infected in the beginning. I didn't know that they had food and other useful items like sewing kits and such on them and that killing them was actually beneficial to a fresh spawn. I see that you apologized for your comment after others called you out for it, so I won't be overly negative towards you in return. I just ask that you consider the fact that people sometimes try new things and aren't always expert from the get go. That is why I posted in the first place, asking for help and or advice on how to get better. That's what intelligent people do when they don't know something, they ask those who do know more about the subject. Happy hunting.

17 hours ago, CommodoreRock604 said:

Thanks for replying. I do have the map from iZurvive and use it often. Now a few weeks later I have finally figured out how to survive and even thrive a bit. I decided to get my own private server where I was able to figure things out without constant threat of death from over zealous players who shoot on sight. I have taken the things learned form my  private server experience and started playing public server again and I'm doing pretty good. Its not the plentiful experience of a private server( I have multiple bases, freaking 9x M4's there, and 3 working cars, one of which is a mint Olga 100% complete and matching color black) but I like the public experience better for the most part as everything I find is actually exciting now, even my best gun in public, an AK74, is pretty nice since its the only assault type rifle I have yet to come across not counting the Viaga shotguns, seem to find plenty of those but only 5 round mags for them so far, pretty useless until I find a drum mag. I even found NVG's in public, in fact 3 pairs so far, ( only kept one backup set for trade or replacement if needed,) mostly due to limited carry weight, no established public base yet, and not wanting to ruin the loot pool for others looking for them. The best part is in public I'm only about 1/3-1/2 of the way inland so far. I haven't even made it to the airfield yet, almost all of my finds so far has been from looting the base in Zelengorsk a few times a day for the past 2 days since I got there. To anyone out there having a hard time starting out, don't loose faith, it gets better to be sure. If you can afford to rent a private server for a month or more, or find a private server of someone else to join which is not Kill on Sight and has players who don't horde and are smart about looting, you can learn a lot about the game and have fun playing.

Last time I left my character was way north past the airfield, I find the map much better up there.

Zelengorsk is one of my favourite towns, once witnessed a wolf pack and zombie battle royale which was awesome to watch.

I'm hopefully going to be getting back into playing this in the next few days now we've had an update 👍

• Find a knife (or craft a knife from two stones, found on trails,train tracks, etc)
  • find an animal, chickens spawn in civilian areas on the coast, kill said animal & chop it up with the knife
  • Craft a fire and cook the meat you have gathered on a long stick
  • Voila you have extended your life

Once you get more accustomed to the game mechanics dealing with food wont be as much of an issue, remembers goats & cheap can be dealt with easily with only a hatchet, sledge hammer, etc. And cooking pots connected to a stove top & gas canister in your inventory is always a good idea for cooking food fast on the go leaving less of a footprint for other survivors to find. If you need help with crafting fires or any crafted item or simply want more in depth info on all game items then go here https://dayz.gamepedia.com/DayZ_Standalone_Wiki

Good luck & enjoy the learning experience, a lot of DayZ players will make out that they knew all this stuff from day one of playing but there is a lot to learn so don't be discouraged, take your time, dont worry about losing gear or dieing until you've mastered the basics.