csssbx

How many gulps and other such info (1.05)

I find it odd that I'm playing a game without really knowing what the rules are; nor do I even know where to find the rules.

E.g. how many gulps of water from a well can I drink when at yellow (without getting sick) ?

How do I know how much I can eat ?

What's the best way calorie wise to cook meat ?

Is there an up-to-date resource for answers to these kinds of questions ?

I actually don't consider it a huge oversight that it isn't included in e.g. in-game tutorials. Exploring the world and learning the mechanics through experience is fun. But it would also be great to confirm some things.

1 hour ago, csssbx said:

Exploring the world and learning the mechanics through experience is fun. But it would also be great to confirm some things.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Enjoy discovery.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

8 hours ago, csssbx said:

I find it odd that I'm playing a game without really knowing what the rules are; nor do I even know where to find the rules.

E.g. how many gulps of water from a well can I drink when at yellow (without getting sick) ?

How do I know how much I can eat ?

What's the best way calorie wise to cook meat ?

Is there an up-to-date resource for answers to these kinds of questions ?

I actually don't consider it a huge oversight that it isn't included in e.g. in-game tutorials. Exploring the world and learning the mechanics through experience is fun. But it would also be great to confirm some things.

Anything greater than zero gulps of water from a well has a chance to give you a disease.

You can eat an infinite amount of food.  You will end up barfing it up along the way, however.  But fear not.  After you blow chunks, your stomach now has room to put more into it.

Oven rotisserie.

No.

What Weyland said.

I typically drink water until I first see the stomach icon appear and then I stop immediately.  If you do it that way, you should be good and the icon will disappear shortly.  As @Parazight says, you'll blow chunks if you keep going at that point.

In terms of hydration, most people don't drink enough water though (both in game and IRL I suppose lol).  Even though the bottle icon has turned white, you are far from fully hydrated.  As a new character, I will find a well, drink till I see the stomach icon, then loot the surrounding area and come back and drink some more.  Rinse and repeat until the bottle icon no longer shows an up arrow when I drink -- this indicates full hydration.

I'm not sure if it's the same for eating though -- I've never seen the food icon show no up arrow when I eat, so I don't think there's a "fully energized" condition anymore like we had in .62 and prior.

4 hours ago, drgullen said:

I don't think there's a "fully energized" condition anymore like we had in .62 and prior.

The current wiki entry has a max of 5k units of hydration, and 20k units of energy.  I can't remember off the top of my head, but it feels like the difference was greater in .62 and before.

My group would routinely take a few vehicles out to a herd of cows and load up everything we could carry, bring it back to base, leave two people behind to cook and restock the food tents and tan leather, and the others would go collect the rest.  IIRC, it took about 2 hours to collect, fully process, and store the average herd of cows.

We ate and ate and ate until it seemed pointless, and we could run around the map for hours and hours over the course of a week without ever getting an indicator of hunger; topping off opportunistically, of course.

So to summarize, eat everything, and then eat some more. Roasted meats pack the best punch overall, because of the water content, but dried meat has a better calorie to volume ratio, if your' not too concerned about hydration.

22 hours ago, emuthreat said:

but dried meat has a better calorie to volume ratio, if your' not too concerned about hydration.

Question - I checked the wiki and in says:

"Dried -- Cook in a pot that is otherwise empty: no water, no lard while keeping items to be cooked under 100 degrees."

Do you use a stone oven to dry meat ?

Honestly, I'm not too well-practiced lately with how cooking works.  I have 4.3 hours in the last two weeks, but it may as well be months.

If the under 100 degrees part is accurate, I'd guess that it means don't cook it too long.  I remember that it used to be VERY easy to burn your meat trying to dry it in previous patches--to the point that I'd never try doing it.

I have noticed while carrying around a pot after cooking with it, that they retain heat for a long time, so maybe you can just use a hot pot not on the fire?  IDK, try it out.

On 9/8/2019 at 1:42 AM, Tarkules said:

Question - I checked the wiki and in says:

"Dried -- Cook in a pot that is otherwise empty: no water, no lard while keeping items to be cooked under 100 degrees."

Do you use a stone oven to dry meat ?

On 9/8/2019 at 3:34 AM, emuthreat said:

Honestly, I'm not too well-practiced lately with how cooking works.  I have 4.3 hours in the last two weeks, but it may as well be months.

If the under 100 degrees part is accurate, I'd guess that it means don't cook it too long.  I remember that it used to be VERY easy to burn your meat trying to dry it in previous patches--to the point that I'd never try doing it.

I have noticed while carrying around a pot after cooking with it, that they retain heat for a long time, so maybe you can just use a hot pot not on the fire?  IDK, try it out.

This is most interesting, I thought that meat drying was taken out, being replaced by immediate burning. I tried to dry meat yesterday, but the pot goes very quickly from -10 C through 90 C to 200 C and stays there for a long time. The meat was burnt. I tried to keep a raw chicken in a hot pot, but to no avail.

I have no idea how to maintain the temperature < 100 C, maybe the oven is the answer, I'll try that more.

Please post here if you find out anything.

13 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

I have no idea how to maintain the temperature < 100 C, maybe the oven is the answer, I'll try that more.

Maybe a fire that is just on the verge of burning out?  or try hot swapping the pot for 2 second intervals?

9 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Maybe a fire that is just on the verge of burning out?  or try hot swapping the pot for 2 second intervals?

I don't know, man, both ideas just don't seem like a feature. I'll try them out, of course, but let's keep thinking. I've tried a household fireplace like it was suggested somewhere, but it still just burns the food. I wonder if drying is even in, considering how spoiling isn't.

I'll try your suggestions and then an oven and a barrel, after that I'm out of ideas for now.

On 9/17/2019 at 2:57 AM, emuthreat said:

Nothing works, tried (almost) all possible options. Also tried to fiddle with pot temperature, but it seems it never goes down (I left pots in containers for days and once they hit ~200 C, they seemingly can't cool down).

I'm inclined to believe that drying is not implemented and the wiki is simply outdated (the Trivia entry on the Cooking page has a 0.61 reference). Do you have any idea how I can verify or whom to reach to confirm it (Tatanko)? I like to have access to all kinds of food processing available.

Another trivia - you can boil that dried fruit you find (it simply gets boiled), but not bake it (it gets burnt). Spoiled food cannot be processed in any way.