ImpulZ

Stable Update 1.05

8 hours ago, VVarhead said:

Completely agree with all your points. 

Too much loot, too much food, too much weapons, too much focus on the basebuilding.

Do you remember how awesome it used to be when you found a stack of just 7 .308 rounds? Or a can of tactical bacon? It was a big deal.

Running around with a total of 4 shots in your SKS was common, really having to choose the time to engage and actually making every shot count. And when you hit that headshot and find a stack of 18 7.62x39 on the guy! It felt so rewarding.

Spending an hour sneaking through Tisy military base and coming out with a M4 with half a mag and a box of 7.62. You had a real mission, to find a ACOG, rounds to fill up the mag and maybe even that elusive nato suppressor!

Before those damn xmas presents came in the end of 2017 for 0.62, I think I had found MAYBE 5 golden tickets (boxes of .308).. I remember how much the presents changed how people traveled, before the presents, I ran into people in Kamenka checkpoint, Myshkino tents, just random spots in the woods all the time.. After, pretty much the whole west side of the map died, since you found all the stuff in presents in Elektro.

I'm amazed they didn't notice this and decide to revert back. And even worse they made the CLE in 0.63 and on like there was xmas presents still. On any given session now, I throw out boxes of 7.62 and .308. What the fuck?

• Like 2

@TAMW, I'll present a bit of a counter argument on the subject of loot. 

First of all, the situation you describe sounds like you're either on very low populated server or spend hours each day in the game. I play on the official HC servers and there is nothing like abundance of loot. Coast is pretty much dry, except for starting hoodies. Sure, you will find basic loot, but nothing to say I'm done, I have everything I need in 10 minutes, peace out.

Food, natural food is mostly rotten or does not spawn at all. Big cans are few and far in between. In our last session I got two cans out of two infected, which was the first food I got off any infected in months. The main source of food is meat, that is hunting. This is btw something that scarcity of cans will not affect at all. You can comfortably survive on hunting alone. Also, this is the plastic bottle debate all over again. Back in the day plastic bottles were so rare, but it makes no sense. If you look at the real world, you would probably be building houses from plastic bottles in the apocalypse, not travel over the hills and far away to find one. 

Guns, sure, there is quite plenty … of shit guns. Shotty is good for infected and pretty much nothing else. Even such common guns like Mosin on Thundra are not as common. Took me several sessions to finally find a Mosin, have not seen a Thundra in months. Same goes for ammo, yes there is ammo, but not exactly overflowing with it. Especially .308 is quite scarce. Finding something like AK is practically impossible. We know that the amount of these is finite. Military bases are empty, because people were there over and over again. So the main source of these guns for me is either finding a player base or killing someone who already has it. Although, I really don't seek them so … 

That brings me to my second point which is, playstyle. You can complain all you want about the abundance of everything, but that is because you probably play the game in the way that you always roam the military bases and cities and so on. I don't. I purposefully avoid large pockets and hotspots (at least, I don't go in). With the high server population, it's not hard to have an encounter anywhere on the map. I travel light, with the gear I need, focused on survival in nature.

If you're the one who goes into every single house and grab every single item, I'm sure you're stuffed in short time. I used to play that way as well, but it's solely your choice. Adjusting the loot to your playstyle only does not make sense for everyone. Consider that for a while 🙂 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

@TAMW,

If you're the one who goes into every single house and grab every single item, I'm sure you're stuffed in short time. I used to play that way as well, but it's solely your choice. Adjusting the loot to your playstyle only does not make sense for everyone. Consider that for a while 🙂 

So you are gimping yourself because there is too much loot. You literally admitted to that. lol

There is too much loot. And there shouldn't be more guns than players. Not even half of the people on a server should have a gun, and even less should have the right ammo for their gun.

Edited by VVarhead
  • Beans 1

3 minutes ago, VVarhead said:

So you are gimping yourself because there is too much loot. You literally admitted to that. lol

Maybe read it again, all of it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VVarhead said:

There is too much loot. And there shouldn't be more guns than players. Not even half of the people on a server should have a gun, and even less should have the right ammo for their gun.

This is going too extreme.  I agree that there is too much loot, but when you say "Not even half of the people on a server should have a gun", you seriously want only 30 guns or less in the entire map on a 60-player server?  That would equate to approximately 1 gun for every 7 square kilometers!

It's a game at the end of the day and is only loosely based on reality, otherwise, we wouldn't be able to grow and eat pumpkins on the same day (Happy Halloween btw).  It is supposed to be based on survival yes, but shooting people is also part of it.  It'd be beyond frustrating to travel for hours and not find a single weapon.

Loot should be reduced for sure, but not by this much.

2 hours ago, drgullen said:

This is going too extreme.  I agree that there is too much loot, but when you say "Not even half of the people on a server should have a gun", you seriously want only 30 guns or less in the entire map on a 60-player server?  That would equate to approximately 1 gun for every 7 square kilometers!

It's a game at the end of the day and is only loosely based on reality, otherwise, we wouldn't be able to grow and eat pumpkins on the same day (Happy Halloween btw).  It is supposed to be based on survival yes, but shooting people is also part of it.  It'd be beyond frustrating to travel for hours and not find a single weapon.

Loot should be reduced for sure, but not by this much.

I disagree. I wanted this game to be a hardcore survival game, not PUBG. I didn't say 30 guns for 60 players, I said less than half the people should actually have guns with corresponding ammo and magazines. Which would probably equate to around 60-100 guns for 60 players, as not everyone will be able to find them because they could spawn in very remote locations. That would be more than enough for me.

4 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

Maybe read it again, all of it. 

I did. You changed your playstyle because DayZ wasn't hardcore enough for you so you suggest everyone changes their playstyle instead of just making the game more hardcore like you and me and many more want it to be and were promised to be.

43 minutes ago, VVarhead said:

I disagree. I wanted this game to be a hardcore survival game, not PUBG. I didn't say 30 guns for 60 players, I said less than half the people should actually have guns with corresponding ammo and magazines. Which would probably equate to around 60-100 guns for 60 players, as not everyone will be able to find them because they could spawn in very remote locations. That would be more than enough for me.

I did. You changed your playstyle because DayZ wasn't hardcore enough for you so you suggest everyone changes their playstyle instead of just making the game more hardcore like you and me and many more want it to be and were promised to be.

Sounds like what you really want is to run some custom mods for your own server.  

The things you want do not fall in line with the vision for the DayZ vanilla experience.  You're suggesting a scarcity of guns that is not going to make the title popular.  Also,  this was never intended to be a hardcore survival game.  It can never be a hardcore survival game because it's a sandbox.  All you have to do is know things and/or group up with one other person and suddenly 'hardcore survival' is 'trivial pve mechanics'. 

57 minutes ago, Parazight said:

Also,  this was never intended to be a hardcore survival game.  

lol

18 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

@TAMW, I'll present a bit of a counter argument on the subject of loot. 

First of all, the situation you describe sounds like you're either on very low populated server or spend hours each day in the game. I play on the official HC servers and there is nothing like abundance of loot. Coast is pretty much dry, except for starting hoodies. Sure, you will find basic loot, but nothing to say I'm done, I have everything I need in 10 minutes, peace out.

Food, natural food is mostly rotten or does not spawn at all. Big cans are few and far in between. In our last session I got two cans out of two infected, which was the first food I got off any infected in months. The main source of food is meat, that is hunting. This is btw something that scarcity of cans will not affect at all. You can comfortably survive on hunting alone. Also, this is the plastic bottle debate all over again. Back in the day plastic bottles were so rare, but it makes no sense. If you look at the real world, you would probably be building houses from plastic bottles in the apocalypse, not travel over the hills and far away to find one. 

Guns, sure, there is quite plenty … of shit guns. Shotty is good for infected and pretty much nothing else. Even such common guns like Mosin on Thundra are not as common. Took me several sessions to finally find a Mosin, have not seen a Thundra in months. Same goes for ammo, yes there is ammo, but not exactly overflowing with it. Especially .308 is quite scarce. Finding something like AK is practically impossible. We know that the amount of these is finite. Military bases are empty, because people were there over and over again. So the main source of these guns for me is either finding a player base or killing someone who already has it. Although, I really don't seek them so … 

That brings me to my second point which is, playstyle. You can complain all you want about the abundance of everything, but that is because you probably play the game in the way that you always roam the military bases and cities and so on. I don't. I purposefully avoid large pockets and hotspots (at least, I don't go in). With the high server population, it's not hard to have an encounter anywhere on the map. I travel light, with the gear I need, focused on survival in nature.

If you struggle finding loot on official, I don't know what to say man. I play only on 40 or above, and every single time I've been on vanilla I have more shit out of the spawn zone then I can carry, and no I don't loot every house but after 10-15 minutes I am battle ready for damn sure. And definitely not in need of food.

I know I can CHOOSE to only hunt, but I never NEED to hunt.

Regarding the shotty, I squad wipe with the shotty.

I cannot be a fucking hermit in the woods, and that shouldn't be a requirement for this to be a survival game. Because it didn't used to be this easy. If the basic game is a hardcore survival, you can still choose to play as a hermit if you want.

I don't feel this game should be watered down to where even new casual players can pretty much survive with little effort like it is now. You play the game, and you get better. You get your ass kicked and you learn to survive. It is just simply better.

6 hours ago, VVarhead said:

lol

Haha, right? Dayz was ALWAYS supposed to be hardcore survival.

I do agree your suggestion is far to extreme tho. I really liked how 0.62 was loot wise before the xmas presents came around.

Edited by TAMW

What I really don't understand is why they went with this "easymode vanilla", without making "hardcore" actually more like TAMW, me and others want DayZ to be like. The way it is now, there is no need for a "hardcore" tag, as it is all too close to vanilla. It even makes it harder for the real hardcore servers to be noticed, as "hardcore" isn't really "hardcore" anymore.

I agree with nearly all TAMW's points as well, apart from the blood damage. It would be more realistic if there were different degrees of bleeding, so that if you have one wound from a 7.62x39 bullet it bleeds more than if you run with bare feet somewhere and get a single scratch. There should also be some kind of penalty from being low on blood, say reduced stamina. Which I wonder if might be true, as less oxygen will be transported to the muscles? The initial blood damage equivalent would be the fact that you need longer to patch up. It feels a bit strange to get shot, and then potentially have solved the problem 10 seconds later if you have the balls to sit down for that long.

There also needs to be a larger variety in, say, ammo - both in terms of types and condition. Like, any random stack of ammo found on some random table in the apocalypse is sure to be anything other than pristine. AFAIK there used to be some kind of mechanic where you could inspect the bullets and keep the good ones? That sounds like a good compromise (with the best ones being "worn"), and if you want pristine military rounds - you visit military checkpoints and so on to look for unopened boxes. Then you can have armor piercing rounds found only in tier 4 (maybe a very slim chance in tier 3). This would mean that even when you have a few stacks, you'd still have good reason to improve your loot, as you most likely have a fair share of damaged rounds etc (better than nothing), or not enough precious AP rounds in case you run into a squad with plate carriers.

I'd also like to see wind be a factor when sniping especially. This would mean you'd have to get closer to your target on windy days to be sure to not misjudge the wind and miss by a few inches. Bullet drop helps a bit, but as it stands now, it's all about getting that hunting scope - which is not even that rare at all. Do we need to be super soldiers to be able to enjoy a gunfight?

Going from empty handed to "rifle in hand" is also too quick, there needs to be a more reasonable time to get a gun from your back to your hands. A pistol from a holster should be quick, but that's about it. And if you want something from your backpack, you should have to hold the backpack in your hands first. There's more than enough space elsewhere for important things like ammo and magazines, or medical supplies. if you need to grab that M4, don't bury it under a pile of garbage in your backpack. This would mean that friendly people can be trusted more easily, as if they don't have a gun in their hands, they will not be able to spray you down unless you really want them to.

Also, the suppressors need to change to something more realistic. They do NOT make guns very silent in operation, and they do NOT get ruined after just a few dozen shots. Certain things cannot reflect real life (like broken bones, which cannot heal fast enough for any kind of video game experience to make sense), but this seems like a very unnecessary thing to do. Suppressors are luxury goods, not required for survival, by any means. And there's always the VSS...

That said, if the devs are not allowed to fail, it's hard to make good games. Like, if they want to find the sweet spot for bleeding parametres, surely they have to make errors both ways. We've had situations where bleeding barely matters, and other situations where a papercut would be a life threatening experience. This means they are more likely to find a proper balance later on. This goes for all aspects of the game.

24 minutes ago, knooters said:

What I really don't understand is why they went with this "easymode vanilla", without making "hardcore" actually more like TAMW, me and others want DayZ to be like. The way it is now, there is no need for a "hardcore" tag, as it is all too close to vanilla. It even makes it harder for the real hardcore servers to be noticed, as "hardcore" isn't really "hardcore" anymore.

I agree with nearly all TAMW's points as well, apart from the blood damage. It would be more realistic if there were different degrees of bleeding, so that if you have one wound from a 7.62x39 bullet it bleeds more than if you run with bare feet somewhere and get a single scratch. There should also be some kind of penalty from being low on blood, say reduced stamina. Which I wonder if might be true, as less oxygen will be transported to the muscles? The initial blood damage equivalent would be the fact that you need longer to patch up. It feels a bit strange to get shot, and then potentially have solved the problem 10 seconds later if you have the balls to sit down for that long.

There also needs to be a larger variety in, say, ammo - both in terms of types and condition. Like, any random stack of ammo found on some random table in the apocalypse is sure to be anything other than pristine. AFAIK there used to be some kind of mechanic where you could inspect the bullets and keep the good ones? That sounds like a good compromise (with the best ones being "worn"), and if you want pristine military rounds - you visit military checkpoints and so on to look for unopened boxes. Then you can have armor piercing rounds found only in tier 4 (maybe a very slim chance in tier 3). This would mean that even when you have a few stacks, you'd still have good reason to improve your loot, as you most likely have a fair share of damaged rounds etc (better than nothing), or not enough precious AP rounds in case you run into a squad with plate carriers.

I'd also like to see wind be a factor when sniping especially. This would mean you'd have to get closer to your target on windy days to be sure to not misjudge the wind and miss by a few inches. Bullet drop helps a bit, but as it stands now, it's all about getting that hunting scope - which is not even that rare at all. Do we need to be super soldiers to be able to enjoy a gunfight?

Going from empty handed to "rifle in hand" is also too quick, there needs to be a more reasonable time to get a gun from your back to your hands. A pistol from a holster should be quick, but that's about it. And if you want something from your backpack, you should have to hold the backpack in your hands first. There's more than enough space elsewhere for important things like ammo and magazines, or medical supplies. if you need to grab that M4, don't bury it under a pile of garbage in your backpack. This would mean that friendly people can be trusted more easily, as if they don't have a gun in their hands, they will not be able to spray you down unless you really want them to.

Also, the suppressors need to change to something more realistic. They do NOT make guns very silent in operation, and they do NOT get ruined after just a few dozen shots. Certain things cannot reflect real life (like broken bones, which cannot heal fast enough for any kind of video game experience to make sense), but this seems like a very unnecessary thing to do. Suppressors are luxury goods, not required for survival, by any means. And there's always the VSS...

That said, if the devs are not allowed to fail, it's hard to make good games. Like, if they want to find the sweet spot for bleeding parametres, surely they have to make errors both ways. We've had situations where bleeding barely matters, and other situations where a papercut would be a life threatening experience. This means they are more likely to find a proper balance later on. This goes for all aspects of the game.

About your idea on bullets and them being worn and all that... perhaps something like in Metro Game series where you have regular bullets and Military Grade bullets for higher firepower and also being used as currency xD that would be cool ... have different state of a bullet affect the damage and all that like in metro 

13 hours ago, VVarhead said:

I changed my playstyle because of the following reasons:

1. Stamina. It no longer makes sense to carry all the loot and be cumbersome. I need one rifle, some backup gun and mainly clothes to blend in. 
2. I wanted to play differently, that is mainly to stalk player areas, go discover the corners etc. There are many small changes around the map, plus players tend to hide their bases on the edges. 

If there would be abundance of loot as TAMW suggests, this would not affect the gameplay I have chosen regardless, because I would go through one or two small towns and I would have a rifle, shitload of ammo, handgun or SMG, all the clothes. The reality is none of that. And yes it used to be like that around 1.03. But it not longer is, plus the high population effect. 

4 hours ago, TAMW said:

If you struggle finding loot on official, I don't know what to say man. I play only on 40 or above, and every single time I've been on vanilla I have more shit out of the spawn zone then I can carry, and no I don't loot every house but after 10-15 minutes I am battle ready for damn sure. And definitely not in need of food.

Yeah, but was it the shit that you need and want or did you walk out of the first town with three hoodies, one can opener, IJ70 ammo, several capri pants, ushankas and a kitchen knife? There is a huge difference between finding loot and finding loot. That is exactly what I mean when I say, I'm sure if you pick up everything you come across you will be stuffed in minutes. But is any of it relevant? Because my experience in the recent weeks and months is that there is lack of everything that is not the most basic stuff that you don't need. 

Though I certainly agree that the game should be more hardcore survival, loot distribution is at the moment not an issue in my eyes. Good news at least from the experimental, rain is back and it was quite brutal, got all soaked and in manner of seconds (even the leather jacket) and cold a few minutes later and died. Also due to the lack of water, because in a big city there was not a single frickin' water bottle. And no food either. Makes zero sense, in the city the survival elements should be infected and other players. Because that is how it should work. You go to town for supplies, which you use to survive out in the wild. If you stick to towns, you should not really have any issue with supplies, but you should be afraid of who and what lurks in there. 

It remains to be seen what the Chernarus economy will be like in 1.06, but I tried the Livonia beta last night and it is definitely moving in a more hardcore survival direction. I spawned in a thunderstorm (yeah, lightning and thunder) and was drenched in seconds, it took me two hours to find a knife, zeds no longer drop loot or do so rarely that you cannot rely on it, there was no fruit (summer map, seems apples aren't ripe yet!) and most mushrooms I found in the woods were either dried (barely any sustenance) or rotten. In three hours I did not find a single container for water and only one well. As for weapons it felt very much like 0.62 used to - I had no problems finding some weapons and ammo, but very little that actually matched. When I logged out after three hours my working weapons was an IJ-70 with one spare clip and a badly damaged SKS with 7 rounds. I even found a heli crash - that had an svd - but in the end I dumped it because of no mag, no optics, no ammo. It was useless dead weight... Melee weapons get damaged when you hit stuff and duct tape seems rarer than assault rifles on dupe-saturated console servers. Oh and blood regeneration has been nerfed to the ground, it is back at 0.62 levels 🙂

All in all (not even considering Livonia itself which is awesome) it feels like a really good patch for DayZ. Will be interesting to try more.

Dying from being out in the rain for half an hour is a bit extreme, though. IMO you should not lose health when you are just "a bit cold" (the light blue indicator), but you should perhaps shake while aiming and/or experience other REASONABLE consequences from being cold. Let the health drop start at dark blue instead, which means your body temperature is low enough that it is a real problem. IMO, anything that negatively impacts your aim is a big enough problem in DayZ that you generally try to avoid it. Then of course, heating up should take more time (as already mentioned by others).

As a returning player from 0.62 I have to ask: Are there seriously no broken bones anymore? If I jump from somewhere I only make my health bar go down? I don't suffer fractures, broken bones or stuff like that anymore?

Also is there still Adrenaline?

Just tested it, and I seem to be right. lol that is a deal-breaker for me. Why did they remove this? Is it planned to make broken bones and fractures come back? Also, if I shoot someone in the foot he will not be unable to run/walk anymore?

Edited by VVarhead

1 hour ago, VVarhead said:

As a returning player from 0.62 I have to ask: Are there seriously no broken bones anymore?

0.63 was created on a new game engine, so they essentially had to start from scratch.  Many of the features that were in .62 were absent on the new engine (and many still are, including broken bones) because they needed to be recreated.  Features have been reappearing with each patch, such as fishing, coming in 1.06.

According to people who were at the recent display at EGX, broken bones are still being worked on and will be added most likely sometime in 2020.

Edited by drgullen

5 hours ago, drgullen said:

0.63 was created on a new game engine, so they essentially had to start from scratch.  Many of the features that were in .62 were absent on the new engine (and many still are, including broken bones) because they needed to be recreated.  Features have been reappearing with each patch, such as fishing, coming in 1.06.

According to people who were at the recent display at EGX, broken bones are still being worked on and will be added most likely sometime in 2020.

Not only do some features have to be recreated... they are also made better... a remaster if you will 😄 more polished version of that feature

On 11/1/2019 at 4:11 AM, TAMW said:

To hammer the point in, go play Livonia. The map is so overrun with players that I find dead infected as I walk through an area and discarded basic loot, otherwise the place is empty. City streets are littered with survivor corpses and no one has any loot whatsoever. During about four hours of playtime, I found three cans and one plastic bottle. Water from bottle of course made me sick. Every single character I spawned in except one died of either thirst, hunger, or both in combination with exposure to rain or bacteria. There is no such thing as abundance of loot on a highly populated server mate.

Since I found no thread for Livonia I'm posting here.

Just like in 1.05 official stable, the server performance became absolute shit after a while on highpop and full servers. I would think it's from the far too long dead player (and animal?) despawn time, since this became a problem when 1.05 came. I would suggest changing this to 20min on players and 5min on animals and see what happens.

The spawn zones are horrendously bad also, right next to military zones.. There is just a constant deathmatch all day around there, and the rest of the map seems almost dead.

The rain is so loud I can't hear myself think, it is just annoying.

There are audio bugs when crouching with the double barrel shotgun.

The infentory often fades to complete black.

17 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

To hammer the point in, go play Livonia. The map is so overrun with players that I find dead infected as I walk through an area and discarded basic loot, otherwise the place is empty. City streets are littered with survivor corpses and no one has any loot whatsoever. During about four hours of playtime, I found three cans and one plastic bottle. Water from bottle of course made me sick. Every single character I spawned in except one died of either thirst, hunger, or both in combination with exposure to rain or bacteria. There is no such thing as abundance of loot on a highly populated server mate.

I have, mate.

Frag granades, mp5's, pistols, shotguns, pressvests right in the spawn zones (not including the military bases, just stuff IN the spawn towns). There is a well in every town. I've found enough food on infected to keep me alive + food in buildings. Animals all over the map. You just have to learn the map better it seems.

There do seem to be alot less knives, bottles and pots, which is good. But I easily find stones on dirt paths to make an improvised knife.

I starved a couple times when getting lost in the woods after being careless not getting enough supplies before exploring, but that is pretty easily avoided.

And it do seem there is toned down loot all over compared to chernarus 1.05. So that is a good step in the right direction if that applies to chernarus when the update hits.

• Beans 1

6 hours ago, TAMW said:

I have, mate.

Frag granades, mp5's, pistols, shotguns, pressvests right in the spawn zones (not including the military bases, just stuff IN the spawn towns). There is a well in every town. I've found enough food on infected to keep me alive + food in buildings. Animals all over the map. You just have to learn the map better it seems.

No 🙂 not on any of the servers I played on (EU). Too many people, everything empty. Animals do not concern me when I have no means to kill them and cook their meat. You got geared, maybe a few other people did as well, but the rest of the population didn't. 

17 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

No 🙂 not on any of the servers I played on (EU). Too many people, everything empty. Animals do not concern me when I have no means to kill them and cook their meat. You got geared, maybe a few other people did as well, but the rest of the population didn't. 

Yes I did. I played on UK 0-4, DE 2-2 on full, and yes I did find those things in the spawn zones. And when I didn't find any food because there was 4 people right in front of me, I simply ran to the next town. The infected had food enough to stay alive and get to the next spot.

I'm not playing game from months, because of the lack of survival aspects (for example first of all, you can eat raw meat without any consequences). Now with this new exp 1.06 update how is the game? About survival aspects and in general (stability, performance, realism etc etc)

Thanks 

1 hour ago, GigiGamer87 said:

I'm not playing game from months, because of the lack of survival aspects (for example first of all, you can eat raw meat without any consequences). Now with this new exp 1.06 update how is the game? About survival aspects and in general (stability, performance, realism etc etc)

Thanks 

That is already not true in 1.05. You will not only get sick but the sickness (may depend on how much raw meat you eat) is severe. I nearly died despite eating a whole package of tetracycline. 

• Thanks 1

Did you (BI) do some updates without telling us again? Because rain is a now a thing in Chernarus on 1.05. Apparently the same mechanics (how fast you get wet, cold and dry) as on experimental, so far without the thunderstorms.