Seen it All

Leaving Backpacks on ground

Definitely? And does that apply to any item because the other week I put a shovel on the ground when I was base building and it was gone twenty mins later. 

4 hours ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Definitely? And does that apply to any item because the other week I put a shovel on the ground when I was base building and it was gone twenty mins later. 

BPs have different despawn timers than for example ur shovel for sure.

• Thanks 1

Persistence

In DayZ, all items will eventually despawn after a predetermined amount of time. That length of time varies depending upon the type of item but does not apply to anything carried within a player's inventory.

Item Time

Traps : 1 Hour

Tents/Barrels : 7 Days

Backpacks : 4 Hours

Crafted Bags : 1 Hour

Other Crafted Items : 5 Minutes

All Other Items : 30 Minutes

source

https://dayz.gamepedia.com/Loot

On 4/29/2019 at 9:07 AM, wh1skey_ said:

Persistence

In DayZ, all items will eventually despawn after a predetermined amount of time. That length of time varies depending upon the type of item but does not apply to anything carried within a player's inventory.

Item Time

Traps : 1 Hour

Tents/Barrels : 7 Days

Backpacks : 4 Hours

Crafted Bags : 1 Hour

Other Crafted Items : 5 Minutes

All Other Items : 30 Minutes

source

https://dayz.gamepedia.com/Loot

That’s a very old link- unless it’s accurate for Xbox that’s an old pc reference and had been changed significantly. 

I think this is the more current version: 

I've noticed the infected despawning rather quickly also for example i agroed a couple of zeds in a small town by Sverograd so ran into a house and shot them through the windows with my pistol (which of course drew more!) and I dispatched them also.  Went outside mere moments later to loot the bodies for food and drink only to find over half of the dozen or so i killed were gone.