> open modding so community can do what we cant

> not selling any new copies

> slap 1.0 on next update

> trick people on steam by offering 15% off for "1.0" & a free weekend

classic. 

• Beans 1

7 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

no  - How much fun is it ?

How long have you been having fun telling players "over and over and over again" their base stuff disappeared ??  - ever since 1.0 ?? ..  wow... that must be years and years and years    ..   and what has bases disappearing got to do with <<loot explosions or several patches>> ??

Well, having fun (all the time) would be over the top, but i like my job even in bad times. https://germandayz.de/user/12710-maverick-las/ And yes, it's been years.

Please, get off your high horse. Calling new players Loony because they think a feature that is ingame is also working as intended surely isn't the right way. They won't take several hours to read up the story about a game they saw and wanna try out, they will just try it out and be displeased with the current state of things. I can't blame them, even if i know better.

It was really great from Bohemia to send me an email about the free weekend on MONDAY morning afterwards.

• Haha 1
  • Beans 1

20 hours ago, -=maverick=- said:

Well, having fun (all the time) would be over the top, but i like my job even in bad times. https://germandayz.de/user/12710-maverick-las/ And yes, it's been years.

Please, get off your high horse. Calling new players Loony because they think a feature that is ingame is also working as intended surely isn't the right way. They won't take several hours to read up the story about a game they saw and wanna try out, they will just try it out and be displeased with the current state of things. I can't blame them, even if i know better.

As you are running a business based on a BIS product without a particular agreement between you and BI - perhaps you should be doing your OWN advertising ??

It is easier to blame the suppliers, than to advertise your product.  You know this because of your PR experience.

NO SOFTWARE COMPANY will EVER say that the software they sell is   << Fit For Purpose>>  in any way.     
( This is in fact the law.  Ask ..for instance ..  Microsoft.. they are pretty BIG and well known: Read what you Sign For when you buy MS software..  you sign for "ziltch", "nada" "zero" any "IMPLIED" or "claimed"  functionality could be "Anything" or "we have no idea" or  or "Nothing", or "any combination" "data loss" "damage" "unpredictable or disastrous secondary effects" "non-operability"  "all NOT our fault" , that's what you Agree To when you BUY from Microsoft).

You know it, because you are telling your own users exact the same thing right now.

Base-building is FINE (=but dumb IMO=) ..  BUT there is a temporary glitch in Persistence (it might happen to your base, your campfire, your steak, your hidden pack or the whole server shard, or regions of it, & seems to affect private AND official too ..). So at least we can locate the area-of-function this problem is affecting.. it's not a private shard problem.. it's not a "base" problem - seems it's a vanilla persistence storage and re-integration problem. -  Bet I'm not the only person to have figured that.

This is a REALLY BIG PISSER and we all know it. 
And BIS know it better than anybody.. An intermittent glitch like THIS ONE can really Wreck your big Free Launch Weekend. (.. say!  Microsoft and a load of other companies have been through that too, heh).   Unfortunate is the word.

the Devs will be working on it, and nothing else.

And one thing I DO know from REALLY enough years in the industry, is that DEVS do not do PR. They cant. They do not have the mindset to explain what they are working on to the general public, including "gamers". And if they did explain what they just spend the day on,  not 1 person in 100 would understand them at all.

So lets not all rant about the DEVS "not doing their jobs", and "what is wrong with them?", etc.. NOTHING is wrong with them. They are doing their jobs, they are programmers, not making boardroom decisions, not giving press conferences. THEY will have this sorted very soon. As you know.  

If you are an ace at PR, write to the BIS director and make him an offer.  He's the guy to talk to.

In the meantime, tell your players what they can expect, what they can't do, what they can do. If they ARE new to the game - as you say -  they have plenty to try out, for SURE - and new DayZ players should NOT expect to survive more than a few hours. So tell them this is a chance to explore & train in the game. Hmm?  Do your PR thing. You are good at it. 

We (old folk) played DayZ for a LONG TIME without Persistence, before Persistence was even introduced .. Do you remember that?

It will be all SMOOTH real soon. No panic.

Shiny

<  Hey, soon bases will stick around and get bigger and bigger, and maybe we'll we'll be able to set fire to them and burn them to the ground? >

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 2

We don't event need bugs to be fixed right now (the game isn't that buggy). What we really need is missions, at least basic waypoints/triggers, and possibility to script scenarios like in Arma games. This way game will start making sense.

With entities above and a bit of scripting it'd be pretty simple to create missions like "Gather a team, find/repair a boat, and leave the island", with 5-6 boat parts all over the map, and tons of zombies in the island.

In other words - infinite possibilities.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Missions or iterations over the game mode can be made by modders later on.

What the game needs to do is indeed focusing on technical base elements. Adding Linux Server support. Database support. Helping the scripting/modding community. 

Adding more assets in future releases, more broadband features, etc. can be nice side goals or roadmaps for the general player, who wants to see cars, boats, maps, weapons, etc. added. And yes, because some of you need goals to play, I do think, by now some persistant element like Tarkov has shown could be a future idea for DayZ that would refresh its lack of goals; but the same is for heli crashes etc. 

But my biggest problem is, that this should all have been already maintained next to development. Especially things like as linux server binary is much easier to maintain, and also keeps the base code much more clean, if it is regularly developed in parallel. Things like "not enough official servers" could have been easily avoided, if installing a server would be easier to do, and more accessible. Other projects, like Squad, show, it's really not that hard to do, if you know your priorities.

Everybody has a pet feature or bug they want in game or fixed.

Bohemia has their own priorities for what gets worked on and when.

Common sense should have been renamed uncommon sense a long time ago.

• Confused 1
  • Beans 1

^ True, but some basic elements should work. The infected have been much better in other iterations. As so for persistence. 

Im glad i started playing again. Overall Its so much smoother then its ever been. But these infected are just a nuisance  

As for common uncommon sense, ik would like to fish again!! 

• Beans 1

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/12/19/dayz-review/

^He lost me when he started talking about bandit skins that were in the mod like they were part of the SA.

Also, among himself and the multiple people he played with, none of them knew to craft torches.

This is what is featured at the top of "news" in Steam for DayZ. @ImpulZ

While in some respects it's a fair review, it's certainly not an educated one.

I'm not sure I've ever read a review from a major outlet where the writer sounded like he actually played the SA enough to write about it properly.

• Confused 1
  • Beans 2

4 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/12/19/dayz-review/

^He lost me when he started talking about bandit skins that were in the mod like they were part of the SA.

Also, among himself and the multiple people he played with, none of them knew to craft torches.

This is what is featured at the top of "news" in Steam for DayZ. @ImpulZ

While in some respects it's a fair review, it's certainly not an educated one.

I'm not sure I've ever read a review from a major outlet where the writer sounded like he actually played the SA enough to write about it properly.

Read it as well. The guy is completely clueless about the development. Stating that is similar to 6 years ago.

• Beans 2

10 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

To be fair, there is not much in the game to tell you what is possible in terms of crafting and combining.

5 hours ago, Vigil Vindex said:

To be fair, there is not much in the game to tell you what is possible in terms of crafting and combining.

Finding out is the best part. Once you know all the things to craft and can traverse the map like Mcgyver the magic of dayz can quickly fade. 

Ignorance is bliss