The Smeef

Day & Night [DayZ]

Is a Day and Night cycle close to coming DayZ ?? I understand you guys have lots of other stuff to work on with the new game engine etc But was just wondering lol. 

It is already in the game I believe. The reasons you do not see it is because the servers reset so frequently, so they never have a chance to make it to night time

• Like 1

As far as  I’m aware the sun movement isn’t in game as your shadow is always NW and doesn’t change so purely off that fact there isn’t a cycle that’s being cut short. There’s no cycle at all purely static

In closed preview I did hit a few night servers. So it is somewhere. I think the servers are just reseting back to the same time right now so it seems as though no movement is happening 

But during them 2 hours or whatever it SHOULD be moving you’re saying? Because it doesnt at all. Closed preview may have had it but it’s been removed for the public game preview.

Eventually when servers last longer, we shall see the night. On PC you get standard time and accelerated time servers. I believe standard time matches the time of the country of the server? (Not sure on that, I remember before accelerated servers existed, if I would play UK servers at night time, they would always be night and I’d never see day.) 

but accelerated servers are the best as you’ll get to play through day and night within a reasonable playthrough.

Edited by ThompHead569

Remember. With night time comes flashlights and night vision.

So I think only flash lights are in game and if they do not plan on adding night vision, then what is the point of night time, little to no combat will occur.

10 hours ago, Bombarding said:

Remember. With night time comes flashlights and night vision.

So I think only flash lights are in game and if they do not plan on adding night vision, then what is the point of night time, little to no combat will occur.

Plenty of combat gna happen.just not the same as daytime lol

1 hour ago, Jerry Young said:

Plenty of combat gna happen.just not the same as daytime lol

Let me know how you fair with the flashlight and no night vision lol. I am very excited for night combat and I hope there are night time exclusive servers, that's where I will be. But still. Unless proper measure are taken, which they will. Night time will be tough without them. I'm super excited for night time raids and sniper shootouts.

• Beans 1

3 minutes ago, Bombarding said:

Let me know how you fair with the flashlight and no night vision lol. I am very excited for night combat and I hope there are night time exclusive servers, that's where I will be. But still. Unless proper measure are taken, which they will. Night time will be tough without them. I'm super excited for night time raids and sniper shootouts.

Can't wait to get a decent kill by popping someone by aiming at them using the light off their torch or muzzle flash at night. 

It will be a decent dynamic when introduced.

• Beans 1

2 minutes ago, Powell x91 said:

Can't wait to get a decent kill by popping someone by aiming at them using the light off their torch or muzzle flash at night. 

It will be a decent dynamic when introduced.

Dude I'm stoked to just see the gun flash then throw a flare down at them, light up their entire ambush, and pop them with a mosin.

Like night time is going to be amazing. Plus once cars, tents and fortifications for bases come in. Ah man.

• Beans 1

6 minutes ago, Bombarding said:

Dude I'm stoked to just see the gun flash then throw a flare down at them, light up their entire ambush, and pop them with a mosin.

Like night time is going to be amazing. Plus once cars, tents and fortifications for bases come in. Ah man.

Would be some salty players after haha It will look cool as hell and there aint many games on console with an active time cycle & none at all in this way where it will majorly change how people have to play to keep alive. 

Yeah, you know it! We've only dipped our toes in the pool at the moment haha can actually get down to business and plan ahead a bit more once theres more to go out and find/do.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Powell x91 said:

Would be some salty players after haha It will look cool as hell and there aint many games on console with an active time cycle & none at all in this way where it will majorly change how people have to play to keep alive. 

Yeah, you know it! We've only dipped our toes in the pool at the moment haha can actually get down to business and plan ahead a bit more once theres more to go out and find/do.

Trust me, from what I have seen. The including of vehicles, tents, bases, and night time will be more than enough. Less server jumping, more single server stuff. As your tents, base and such dont transfer. So if you really wanna get serious, you're sticking to 1 server until your whole base is wiped. I'm stoked

• Beans 1

10 minutes ago, Bombarding said:

Trust me, from what I have seen. The including of vehicles, tents, bases, and night time will be more than enough. Less server jumping, more single server stuff. As your tents, base and such dont transfer. So if you really wanna get serious, you're sticking to 1 server until your whole base is wiped. I'm stoked

Yeah, 100%. It will force players to think and act with more common sense if they want to reach their longer term goals and not just go out for a 30 minute killing spree. 

On 9/13/2018 at 2:08 PM, The Smeef said:

Is a Day and Night cycle close to coming DayZ ?? I understand you guys have lots of other stuff to work on with the new game engine etc But was just wondering lol. 

Br

Legit can’t wait for that? it will be so fun running around in the dark with a flash light but ima be honest I feel like it won’t be coming for quite a few more updates tho 

58 minutes ago, Ian Roberts said:

Br

Legit can’t wait for that? it will be so fun running around in the dark with a flash light but ima be honest I feel like it won’t be coming for quite a few more updates tho 

Ehhhh partially right.

From my understanding it's already in the game. I've only been in 3 servers that have rain.

So let's examine this for a second. 

Servers reset every 90 min usually. call it 2 hours to be safe.

Say the default time is anywhere between 9am-3pm. Meaning when the server loads, bam, the time is anywhere between there... we would never see night time, as the server wouldnt reach 7,8,9,10pm etc.

Rain is a spontaneous occurace but randomized. I've seen it rain in game for 1 hour. 15 min, and 5 min. But that's because that's when I joined the server.

I suspect just to make the transition to xbox fun and enjoyable, they set all server in game times to start at 12pm or something, regardless of server. In the future the reset time may be 1 hour prior to reset time. Meaning...

If the server was booted at 12pm. It runs 4 hours. Resets. It loads at 3pm. Then goes to 7pm, resets, loads at 6pm. And so on until a full day night cycle.

This means you could join at day, noon, night, early morning, whatever.

The servers are restarting every few hours, but the time is not moving forward at all. You've been playing the same second from day 1.

If it was moving - the sky light would have changed as the sun moves in its course until sunset.

Night time is a very unique experience, there is also a moon and it has its lunar cycle which means there are full moon nights and pitch black nights.

Rain is random.

Before adding nighttime I hope they add the ability to throw flares cause just using a flare and having to set it on the ground is kind of dull