The HorseMen Clan

Please reduce the need to drink and feed

THIS WAS CHANGED

Edited by DMC14

9 hours ago, Emmet Adriaans said:

This system is completely exaggerated. I do like the idea, however it’s overblown in the worst way. 

The necesity for water and its availabilty around the map doesn’t correlate well to a fun experience.

Meters are slightly fast at the start but water is everywhere...Literally everywhere all over the map.

9 hours ago, bent.toe said:

I'm not your pal so stop being condescending and telling me it's stupid to have pooping and peeing... Ofcourse it is, but so is eating and drinking every damn 15-20 minutes.

Why are you defending this like its the best thing happen in the game industry. IF you need to eat and drink like a mad man then sure as hell there should be consequences like stopping to pee every 30 minutes.

It's not fun and it detracts from all the other things you need to do to survive.

YES you need to eat, sleep, drink etc..but once every 24 hour would be enough. No?

We won't get further with this since we have different opinions. So i will back off.

Condescending? You was suggesting retarded stuff which youve just admitted...if you was coming at a different angle then maybe I'd of been able to relate and discuss with you? See my POV. 

It's clearly not the best thing to happen is it? Im defending it against your points of attack which are exaggerated and out of context. 

24 hours of what? Game time cycle or real time? Noones knows what a game time cycle will be yet, potentially my canteens would last 24 hours...i would hope so and as for real time, once in 24 hours is ridiculous for a game, You'd drink once in a about 2 months before you hit 24 hours of play, I dont think its challenging enough or puts enough risk for reward factor down. 

Even at the moment there is no disease etc so you can literally drink anywhere. The timers will be super harsh when facing disease too etc and people are still complaining. 

The devs have literally said its going to be tweaked but people still banging on its too fast. Wait for the update and see if its easier but I honestly believe it willbe the same people back here moaning once you can catch disease,  bleed out, get hypothermia etc etc etc

Literally going grey thinking of the threads now. 

• Beans 2

35 minutes ago, DMC14 said:

yeah im down with this food once evry 24 hrs but you get weaker after 12hrs and water like 4 times a day. thats me in real life. 

Real time? 

No, how would that work? You sit and play for 24 hours, do you? No....so what how long does it take you to play 24 hours in to a game?

I'd play for way over a month and then still be on my first can of food....how is that challenging? How do I feel rewarded? Should I just go play minecraft? I feel like that is what you people moaning have come from playing.

20 hours ago, Powell x91 said:

Real time? 

No, how would that work? You sit and play for 24 hours, do you? No....so what how long does it take you to play 24 hours in to a game?

I'd play for way over a month and then still be on my first can of food....how is that challenging? How do I feel rewarded? Should I just go play minecraft? I feel like that is what you people moaning have come from playing.

WHATS WRONG WITH YOU MAN? 24 hrs in game time stupid. no one mentioned real time stop trying to put words in my mouth.

moaning? your the one bitching right now we just throwing in our 2 cents all you tough guys have to do is come in here and say no i disagree i like it the way it is. thats it nothing more. you dont need to quote anyone or anything just throw your 2 cents in and leave it at that hero's.

look when you registered and when i did, who do you think has more experience on this game right now out of the two of us?

Edited by DMC14

I agree the meter drops overly quick, at least when you first spawn. Once you get set in game, its still too fast but you can manage it. There are a few simple tips that seem to work for me, but it still needs balancing out a bit better:

• Use a readily available online map to navigate
  • You generally spawn in a coastal area, figure these out and use the map to orientate yourself as fast as possible, and make heading for water your first priority - plenty of streams and ponds about
  • If you get to a stream, spam the drink for a while and keep going until your guy is sick, it will buy you hydrated time.

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, M00nfly said:

I agree the meter drops overly quick, at least when you first spawn. Once you get set in game, its still too fast but you can manage it. There are a few simple tips that seem to work for me, but it still needs balancing out a bit better:

• Use a readily available online map to navigate.

Why no static in-game map?

Really..what's the difference looking at a map on a phone vs hit a button in game and look at the map?

It would be more convenient don't you agree?

2 hours ago, DMC14 said:

WHATS WRONG WITH YOU MAN? 24 hrs in game time stupid. no one mentioned real time stop trying to put words in my mouth.

moaning? your the one bitching right now we just throwing in our 2 cents all you tough guys have to do is come in here and say no i disagree i like it the way it is. thats it nothing more. you dont need to quote anyone or anything just throw your 2 cents in and leave it at that hero's.

look when you registered and when i did, who do you think has more experience on this game right now out of the two of us?

You're literally agreeing with the guy who's asking for a real time 24 hour cycle. Thsts where it come from LOL 

Nothing about being tough or anything silly like that so give that a rest. 

And i couldn't care less when you registered tbh, not in the slightest. If anything, you would think that you wouldn't be asking as many questions around the place if you was more experienced; seeing as thats what you're trying to imply....I play xbox, this is the xbox part of the forums so if you play on PC; Why are you here? or if you've played on PC in the past and now on xbox that would just go alongside my point I just made about. Registering date is when i played the game on release and by the sounds of it; I'm plodding on much better.

I do think 24 hours a bit extreme as well.

Just needs to be reduced a bit, and definitely not cause my character to limp.

Limping should be reserved for zombie and PVP attacks. Not thirst and hunger.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The HorseMen Clan said:

I do think 24 hours a bit extreme as well.

Just needs to be reduced a bit, and definitely not cause my character to limp.

Limping should be reserved for zombie and PVP attacks. Not thirst and hunger.

24 hours is ridiculous, the devs have said they are going to look at it. It can come down a little to aid freshly spawned characters but once you have gear on you and ventured more into your character's 'journey'; its entirely the player's fault to die by those means. Sometimes through unlucky circumstances or sometimes through error or mis-judgement.

Maybe when your meters are on flashing red from low thirst and/or hunger is when you limp and eventually, unfortunately reach your peril on the ground. 

• Beans 1

5 minutes ago, Powell x91 said:

24 hours is ridiculous, the devs have said they are going to look at it. It can come down a little to aid freshly spawned characters but once you have gear on you and ventured more into your character's 'journey'; its entirely the player's fault to die by those means. Sometimes through unlucky circumstances or sometimes through error or mis-judgement.

Maybe when your meters are on flashing red from low thirst and/or hunger is when you limp and eventually, unfortunately reach your peril on the ground. 

I agree.

Just needs to be reduced a bit.

22 hours ago, bent.toe said:

Btw... I would like to know why there are such a big deal with eating and drinking...but not hygien or sleeping or pooping and peeing.

Why not go all in if you are so focused on realism

If the above is not needed..then hunger/thirst should not be needed either.

It should be fun to play..not some damn chores.

Scum has just been released on PC which has pooing, peeing and vomiting in it ;)

Left pc several years ago as a gaming platform..

PS4 pro and Xbox one X are more than enough. Some rare moments i play Hunt showdown on the pc...

I thought the same when I first started but it actually isnt too bad. The reason why it seems horrible, especially as a fresh spawn, is due to the fact that they don't start you off with max energy/food or max water. The symbols don't turn white when you're maxed out one or the other either, just when you hit the bare minimum of being "good." Also, just because the arrows are going down that doesn't imply that you are starving/dehydrated; the game is indicating strenuous activity.  Best advice is to start off and find water asap then fill up on water for awhile ( a good min or 2 at least of sipping water from the tap or pond) then go find food. Keep eating whatever you find, a lot of it is on the skimpish side calorie-wise (energy) besides the tactical bacon or cooked meat, especially cow steaks. Eat food as you come across it or if you must, just save a can or two. After the initial spawn stage and surviving for a bit, I have yet to see my food icon turn yellow and I go for a while without eating.

• Beans 1

is fishing in on Xbox yet ? .. you can make fires and cook the animal life, right? - fishing is pretty easy

if the chance of disease from rivers and lakes hasn't been added to Xbox yet, then you can drink until you "feel really full" anywhere, with no worries - that should hold you for a while. Even on PC where you CAN catch disease from natural water (not pumps) it only happens "occasionally" (like, not always, for sure) .. if you keep drinking from rivers it will get you sooner or later (if it is in the Xbox game yet), but even with disease included, you can chance filling your stomach with river water if you need to (one mouthful or a full belly makes no difference to your chances.) A lot of times you will get away with that.

If you do get ill from bad water, or uncooked meat - at the FIRST warning, drink till you vomit, there's a chance that emptying your stomach like that will save you.

< never played Xbox, I'm just going from what I've read in this Xbox thread, .. maybe try it out ? >

I think the food spawns need to increase as well. Walking for miles before finding anything so much as a fountain is nearly impossible sometimes. I get that it's a survival game, but at the moment it's too extreme when it comes to frequency of food and water.

• Beans 1

17 hours ago, vfxtodd said:

I think the food spawns need to increase as well. Walking for miles before finding anything so much as a fountain is nearly impossible sometimes. I get that it's a survival game, but at the moment it's too extreme when it comes to frequency of food and water.

Agreed. Much too frequent.

I dont want easy mode either, but this way is far too grindy. Just not fun...

• Beans 1

Just now, The HorseMen Clan said:

Agreed. Much too frequent.

I dont want easy mode either, but this way is far too grindy. Just not fun...

I was lucky on one of my spawns yesterday to have survived for a while. But, many times I get so close to death that I just walk up to a zombie and let it kill me so I can respawn. LOL

• Haha 1

On 03/09/2018 at 1:44 PM, bent.toe said:

Why no static in-game map?

Really..what's the difference looking at a map on a phone vs hit a button in game and look at the map?

It would be more convenient don't you agree?

Youre not meant to have one in game unless you find all the pieces. I like the game how it is for the most part, I get bored of all the modern games that hold your hand the entire way (tomb raider ?). I guess you play the game as intended or just use the phone map app if you want a map. I actually prefer having a zoomable map sepertely on my phone.

• Beans 1

Please don't reduce the need to eat and drink. It's balanced perfectly. It stops people from sprinting around all the time like COD and makes them think about their engagement. You might want reducing if you're new and haven't left the coast. Once you get North West and figure out your own eating and drinking strats, (I only need to eat once every 45 mins to am hour) you'll realise it's fine as it is.

Edited by CarlTheGooner
ninja edit
  • Beans 2

I do agree that the hunger and thirst rates could be reduced a tad bit, however, I made a post laying out the points on how to get out of that "slump" that you start off with.

I would definitely recommend checking it out if you are always frustrated with how often you have to eat. Using the points I put in there I literally have not seen the yellow hunger bar apart from first spawning in. 

I think most of the complaints are because youre thirsty from first spawn. If you spawned fully hydrated and had a bit more time I think most people would likely be fine with the balance as it is. 

• Like 2

On 9/5/2018 at 3:02 PM, M00nfly said:

I think most of the complaints are because youre thirsty from first spawn. If you spawned fully hydrated and had a bit more time I think most people would likely be fine with the balance as it is. 

Agreed.

I'm fully geared, lots of food and water, but it is still far too grindy how often we must consume it. 

Nothing fun, or challenging about it. 

I felt too at first that food and water depleted too quickly. Having now played for a few days (I'm new to Dayz and a console plebian) and managed to get a character fully geared and up to north west (where I was accidentally killed by my team mate!) I'm not so sure now. It does feel a little quick to deplete but I filled up on cow steaks I cooked on a camp fire and it seemed to last a fair while. Also as others have stated, until disease is added properly, we can drink from any water source so plenty of that about. 

One thing I will say though, I do feel that part of the issue is the messed up inventory system which they tried to fix recently and had to roll back. Inventory space is very limited even with a large backpack and until they fix that, long journeys in the wilderness are a little harder. Personally, I'm enjoying spending time in the north woods hunting food and only venturing into towns when necessary (I'm a scardy pants) and so some method of storing food in containers will be a great addition when it comes.

On 08/09/2018 at 4:07 PM, The HorseMen Clan said:

Agreed.

I'm fully geared, lots of food and water, but it is still far too grindy how often we must consume it. 

Nothing fun, or challenging about it. 

Its not challenging alone, I agree that being kitted with gear etc keeping food in abundance is easy. Water is readily avaialble etc I'm hoping once disease and the elements can effect you more its becomes harder.

At least though, you have to consider that if you didnt have to eat or drink as much as you do then people could easily sprint across the map rapidly to high loot spots. I know it doesnt exactly take ages anyway now but with everything combined eventually I hope it will prove for a good mix but I think the sole reason it is so grindy is to put some thought in the players mind that he has to consider it before taking a long journey.

• Beans 1