SparkyBoy

Why are all spawns west of elektro still removed?

I think it's a really big shame that you cant spawn west of elektro anymore, pvp at cherno/balota was always so fun and now no one ever goes that way anymore. Now that the west side of the map has been revamped in the 0.62 update the south-west spawns should be brought back, to encourage players to explore those new locations.

Some insight:

On 6/2/2015 at 0:54 PM, SMoss said:

Dev Update/Hicks

I'm frequently asked about player spawns, vehicle spawns, and the mentality behind where and why they are placed. I thought I would take the opportunity this week to discuss exactly that.

For those aware of how DayZ Mod's gameplay flow operated - it was fairly simple. Players started along the coast - from Kamenka to as far as Berezino. Players progressed (for the most part) from the South - to the North. (For the most part, the North West) This gameplay required very little design side control to influence it. Natively the original Chernarus had very few buildings, and thus very few potential item spawn points (compared to say - Chernarus +). One of the initial goals of DayZ was to decentralize the flow of high value or required resources. Think medical centers, military installations, and so on.

When approaching player spawns - early on my approach was to try and replicate the familiarity of player spawns in the earlier versions of DayZ Mod. (DayZ Mod circa Summer 2012 was used as a touch stone) We quickly learned that this approach did not work with the massively altered layout of Chernarus. Not to mention some of the changes to key coastal areas. The next experiment we ran with player spawns was to flip the map of Chernarus, and look at the player progression as East > West. From a design perspective this approach seemed the most logical in how we wanted to layout the world, and seemed on paper like it should find strong success.

31 minutes ago, SparkyBoy said:

I think it's a really big shame that you cant spawn west of elektro anymore, pvp at cherno/balota was always so fun and now no one ever goes that way anymore. Now that the west side of the map has been revamped in the 0.62 update the south-west spawns should be brought back, to encourage players to explore those new locations.

All you did was contradicted yourself. By placing spawns far east, players will be forced to explore the map even more.  Also, the point of this game isn't all on PVP.

Since spawns changed, I experienced drastically increased numbers of encounters in mid land area. Map feels more lively.

Edited by Just Caused
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Just Caused said:

All you did was contradicted yourself. By placing spawns far east, players will be forced to explore the map even more.  Also, the point of this game isn't all on PVP.

Since spawns changed, I experienced drastically increased numbers of encounters in mid land area. Map feels more lively.

How will placing spawns far east force players to explore the map more? In my playtime through 0.61 & 0.62 almost every player encounter is now at either staroye, gorka, novy sobor or stary sobor. It's almost impossible to run into players in any other areas. They need to add at least a FEW spawns back into the west side to give some life into that area of the map they have worked so hard on to improve, because players are less inclined to run across the whole map to see some new mountains when they could just PvP all they want at the stary sobor area.

12 hours ago, SparkyBoy said:

If you don't adapt your play style to what dayz will become, you will be disappointed. 

9 hours ago, SparkyBoy said:

How will placing spawns far east force players to explore the map more? In my playtime through 0.61 & 0.62 almost every player encounter is now at either staroye, gorka, novy sobor or stary sobor. It's almost impossible to run into players in any other areas. They need to add at least a FEW spawns back into the west side to give some life into that area of the map they have worked so hard on to improve, because players are less inclined to run across the whole map to see some new mountains when they could just PvP all they want at the stary sobor area.

Because most military loot spawn points are located in the west. Tisy, Lopatino road block, Kamenka road block, NWAF, Veresnik, Pavlovo, Zelenegorsk and Myshkino. The distribution of players is at a very good point at the moment. Stary, Novy, Staroye and Gorka are the places where you will find mid tier PvP, in the west you will find the high tier PvP. I'm pretty sure you will find players all around the map but if you just stay around Staroye, Stary Sobor, Novy Sobor and Gorka then you're indeed not going to find any players anywhere else.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SparkyBoy said:

You want to explore PVP areas? Fine, you get spawn in Cherno which doesn't exist anymore. According to iZurvive, there's around 7km more or less distance that you'll have to travel to get to NWAF, plus I don't count Zenelgorsk or Miskhino. Then, we check Solinichy spawn, the are where most people start off. It takes 9km to get to NWAF, plus even more if you want to go to Zelengorsk/Miskhino/Tisy. By getting placed far east, south-east, players are forced to explore map even more.

You're PVP oriented. DayZ isn't PVP. Yes, the big part of the game is PVP because there's no end-game, but I don't want to get gunned down just a moment after I spawn on the coast. By going through numerous villages, your inventory will proggress more from civilian to military guns/clothing. So yeah, there's no logic behind moving actual spawns to south if we consider PVP aspect of the game.

You can still go to Balota and Cherno to find PvP if that's what you're after. You're just going to have to work a little harder at it. Try out some PvP in Berezino or Dolina sometime; it's a little more restricted than the areas you were talking about, but that just means that your enemies might actually have a chance to escape rather than having to run across open terrain while you plink at them with a scoped rifle.

7 hours ago, Just Caused said:

You want to explore PVP areas? Fine, you get spawn in Cherno which doesn't exist anymore. According to iZurvive, there's around 7km more or less distance that you'll have to travel to get to NWAF, plus I don't count Zenelgorsk or Miskhino. Then, we check Solinichy spawn, the are where most people start off. It takes 9km to get to NWAF, plus even more if you want to go to Zelengorsk/Miskhino/Tisy. By getting placed far east, south-east, players are forced to explore map even more.

You're PVP oriented. DayZ isn't PVP. Yes, the big part of the game is PVP because there's no end-game, but I don't want to get gunned down just a moment after I spawn on the coast. By going through numerous villages, your inventory will proggress more from civilian to military guns/clothing. So yeah, there's no logic behind moving actual spawns to south if we consider PVP aspect of the game.

The problem is, everyone spawns in, gets a shotgun/mosin at gorka or staroye and kills anyone that tries to go to the west side of the map. Unless you want to just run through a forest and get absolutely no loot, theres really only 3 loot paths to take to get sufficiently geared (berezino-gorka-novy/stary, elektro-staroye-guglovo and solnichy-dolina-polana) unless you run all the way from elektro to kamenka and then north, where there is no player interaction, making the game rather stale. There does need to be more varied spawns to encourage player encounters more often in the west side, because my point is that the west part of the map is completely void of any player interaction, which means that unless you're a player that will keep a character alive for weeks looting unpopulated areas, theres no reason to go to the west side of the map.

Edited by SparkyBoy
adding info

The west side of the map has plenty of player interaction. It just tends to be the unfriendly sort.

You've got a bit of a point about the loot paths, though: people tend to follow the roads. They don't have to, but it's the easy thing to do, so most of the population do it. Personally, I've found it takes a little work to stay alive lately, enough so that I actually died of cholera not to far back. I recommend building yourself a bow and navigating the woodlands. Shoot yourself some food along the way and you'll be healthy by the time you arrive at NWAF.

Edited by Funkmaster Rick
  • Like 1