Sign in to follow this  
Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

[Guns] Finite, Rusty & Repairable

One of the biggest problems for DayZ SA is the way loot respawns and the road to power. Guns need to be finite (easier said than done...conceptually) and not respawn so much like they do now.

The current road to power is this: get gear, lets go kill.

What if getting gear took longer and had a value attached to it? Wouldn't that make the experience...more?

Check this out...

Weapons are finite and don't respawn (unless griefed like thrown in lakes or oceans or etc), but get rusty and ruined. But not ruined to the point they're unusable.

Lets say you find a dead body with a gun on it and its pretty damaged, rusted, etc. Now it's off to find tools to fix the weapon and bring it back to its former glory. Weapon cleaning kit...sure. Or maybe piece the parts out as well that are in those kits (so the end result isn't just finding a kit)?

Guns need to be finite and more rare than they currently are (as well as ammo which can be crafted). It'll slow down PVP because the road to power has been extended.

Just a thought and by no means a finished idea...

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)
  • Like 3

fully support if they find a way to implement it and at the same time not leave bambis without guns :/

idea is nice, but it would only work on private shards. (otherwise some servers would have tons of guns and others would have non, because players took them to other servers)

and even there, if one dedicated group finds all weapons and stashes them in a nice hiding place guns would be pretty much unavalible for 95+% of the players

• Like 2

I like the idea of weapon scarcity but wouldn't this over long enough time lead to all guns being rusty lost forever in the bushes and grass?

I've dropped a rifle accidentally numerous times, gone right back and been unable to find it in the grass. A lot of the time I pick up guns I don't want and throw them in the grass as well, it's not grievous it's just safer for me if the guy behind me doesn't find it. 

Edited by BCBasher

*Beta is for balancing.

We need access to more stuff, more readily, in Alpha.

There will be insanely brutal mods that I think people who want more scarcity will gravitate to.

It's possible that future server options will allow people to very easily have lower loot numbers and you can have vanilla + scarcity without feeling like you're playing a mod as much.

In experimental the devs have toyed with scarcity across different builds and are still now putting finishing touches on just how the loot economy will work let alone balancing values.

I remember there were versions of the mod that were extra harsh. Always night, super aggressive and powerful infected, super scarce loot, I forgot what this version was called....

I realize that Vanilla may not be my preferred version in time. But I hope to enjoy Vanilla enough to want to maintain a character in the official hives as well as play the more brutal and unforgiving versions that pop up.

I'm really excited to see what people do with modding. I really think a lot of the best post 1.0 content will come from modding communities and we are going to see some really innovative, fun, and challenging stuff come from DayZ/Enfusion.

And yeah, I'm pretty much a fan of scarcity, and making guns more valuable/harder to come by, maintain, or complete.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

One of the biggest problems for DayZ SA is the way loot respawns and the road to power. Guns need to be finite (easier said than done...conceptually) and not respawn so much like they do now.

I dunno, guns kinda suck to find right now... I've yet to come across an AR, and I've heard there's an FAL in the game...

The current road to power is this: get gear, lets go kill.

What if getting gear took longer and had a value attached to it? Wouldn't that make the experience...more?

tbqh, my road to power has always just kinda been "get to mil camp, get guns and camo, go frig off in the woods until you get more food... Shoot anyone who comes near"... But, if you think that road to power is silly, I'd want to know what you think you'd do in the rl zombie apocalypse when you're sans everything... :P

Check this out...

[cut for brevity]

So, you want to see firearms wear out faster? And more intricacy into the gunsmithing aspect? I mean, it would be way cool to develop it as a profession... Say a player can turn worn out guns and parts into junk, then use the junk to fix weapons and stuff... Eventually, using certain parts or junk or etc. as reagents for crafting, maybe... Then the Devs can get into some nifty custom stocks and forearms and stuff for all the weapons in-game! Plus, then you could get nifty profession buffs, like +5 jam clearing, +5 tactical movement speed (when scoped/irons/etc), etc.! Though, as far as accelerating firearm depreciation, I'm no fan of that...

14 minutes ago, t3h_kgb said:

*snip*

So, you want to see firearms wear out faster? And more intricacy into the gunsmithing aspect? I mean, it would be way cool to develop it as a profession... Say a player can turn worn out guns and parts into junk, then use the junk to fix weapons and stuff... Eventually, using certain parts or junk or etc. as reagents for crafting, maybe... Then the Devs can get into some nifty custom stocks and forearms and stuff for all the weapons in-game! Plus, then you could get nifty profession buffs, like +5 jam clearing, +5 tactical movement speed (when scoped/irons/etc), etc.! Though, as far as accelerating firearm depreciation, I'm no fan of that...

Isn't the weapon wear a form of artificial difficulty? Most of the guns in game should not require any maintenance for the amount they get used, A  long surviving PVP guys m4 maybe. The Russian ARs, SKS and break actions will all work for a long time with little maintenance if any. I recently ran off a bear with my SKS peppering the driveway spraying it with gravel,  The last time I used it was 4-5 years ago when I fired over 600rds of corrosive primed MIL ammo and put it away without cleaning, guess what I loaded it and it shot all five (pinned mag for Canada) without any problems. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, t3h_kgb said:

I dunno, guns kinda suck to find right now... I've yet to come across an AR, and I've heard there's an FAL in the game...

tbqh, my road to power has always just kinda been "get to mil camp, get guns and camo, go frig off in the woods until you get more food... Shoot anyone who comes near"... But, if you think that road to power is silly, I'd want to know what you think you'd do in the rl zombie apocalypse when you're sans everything... :P

AR's are all over the place. You got the military check points that are scattered across the map and NWAF + Tisy are always loaded. The problem is civilian weapons...those are rare and that's the exact opposite of how CLE should be working.

You might hang out in the woods and shoot stuff, but you are the vast minority. Most players get the gear and head to combat area's or grief freshies on the coast/coastal towns.

I'm thinking more about value and it not being enough to just find the gun. Find the gun, clean it up, maybe a bit of maintenance...nothing too crazy. Just looking to slow the PVP down and have a more rewarding experience.

4 hours ago, BCBasher said:

Isn't the weapon wear a form of artificial difficulty? Most of the guns in game should not require any maintenance for the amount they get used, A  long surviving PVP guys m4 maybe. The Russian ARs, SKS and break actions will all work for a long time with little maintenance if any. I recently ran off a bear with my SKS peppering the driveway spraying it with gravel,  The last time I used it was 4-5 years ago when I fired over 600rds of corrosive primed MIL ammo and put it away without cleaning, guess what I loaded it and it shot all five (pinned mag for Canada) without any problems. 

I understand what you're saying, but there is a tipping point of whats fun and accommodations have to be made for the sake of the gaming experience. Hicks has been quoted regarding Peter Nespesny wanting too much realism...too much realism doesn't make a fun gaming experience and I agree with that. If we had literal authenticity, DayZ would lack lustre. Characters would never need food because people die rather quickly, etc etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

*snip*

I understand what you're saying, but there is a tipping point of whats fun and accommodations have to be made for the sake of the gaming experience. Hicks has been quoted regarding Peter Nespesny wanting too much realism...too much realism doesn't make a fun gaming experience and I agree with that. If we had literal authenticity, DayZ would lack lustre. Characters would never need food because people die rather quickly, etc etc.

I understand what you're saying as well, I think you and I are both looking for a very similar experience from the end product. I just want more toys and less other kids in my sandbox.

I actually really like the idea, I was planning to mod the game to be 1-4 player with more (and better if this is the finished version) AI and make guns persistent and extremely rare

I still wouldn't know what to do when the're all lost in the grass?

Edited by BCBasher

Or... slightly lower the prevalence of weapons, but make it so that the vast majority of weapons are "worn" or worse, making the weapons themselves less reliable, and weapon maintenance necessary. Finding a gun shouldn't be hard. improving a gun to pristine should.