Sign in to follow this  
Baty Alquawen

Status Report - 7 February 2017

YOKywqr.jpg

Hello Survivors,

We have a new Status Report for you. Brian is talking about known issues and fixes what are we working now and Victor is sharing some news from animation department. We want to show you an interesting thread from our official Forum and you can find awesome song in Community Spotlight.

Contents This Week

• Dev Update/Hicks
  • Dev Update/Viktor
  • Handpicked: DayZ Forums News
  • Community Spotlight

Dev Update/Hicks

Greetings Survivors,

This Status Report we're going to cover what the .61 Live Team are focusing on for Stable branch issues, I'll touch briefly on .62 - and then I'd like to give a little perspective on the work currently under way for the bulk of the team (Beta milestone).

Rest assured, the development team is well aware of a good deal of critical issues that have popped up on various builds coming through Exp/Unstable and onto Stable branch. Some of them we're working to address in .61 updates, and some will more than likely have to wait for Beta milestone (as we're on the edge of addressing some issues in technology and systems that won't be around in Beta).

The team has been able to make good strides on addressing server crash issues, but we're also tracking a good number of additional issues that have come in through the Official Feedback Tracker:

• Issues with the Central Economy group spawning items and clustering in some areas after extensive persistence uptime
  • Client side FPS drops from several causes
  • Issues tied to animation transitions at time of death
  • Client side network freezing in some cases
  • Remaining issues with vehicles from Exp/Unstable
  • "Ghost Infected"
  • Server Performance Issues

We're all aware that these issues are critical to everyone playing on 0.61 Stable, and we appreciate everyone’s patience and participation in utilizing the Official Forums and Feedback Tracker to better allow us to track these issues down. Hang in there and be patient, as mentioned before .61 hit Stable - a majority of the team has switched to working on Beta, and some of the issues might not make sense to spend time resolving as we're working on the .62 and Beta milestones now - but we've not given up on addressing them for .61. If you find any new issues, or have new data - please continue to utilize the Official Feedback Tracker, it might not seem like it helps but trust me - it *does*.

For .62 development, we don't have too much for you in this Status Report - however Adam (Sumrak) is working on putting together some tasty information on the .62 team's progress on their end for the next Status Report. Currently the .62 team is working on profiling the Chernarus with the new trees, and making adjustments to the forests based upon the data they gather from the profiling tools. There are some additional improvements on the visual fidelity side they are looking into - but I won't ruin any of that as Adam is looking forward to what he can tell you all in the next Status Report.

It (almost) goes without saying - but the Beta milestone isn't just a matter of plugging a few new things into DayZ. The Animation System ties into effectively everything you guys do in DayZ, and the New Player as well. Tie into this the goal of total removal of SQF support (The scripting language that DayZ utilizes for most every gameplay mechanic) and the teams undertaking starts to closely resemble a skeletal and critical organ transplant. A great deal of work has gone into recreating all of these SQF scripts and mechanics into the new Enforce scripting language over the last year or so, but even so - the risk and work that is required to coordinate across the team, ensure things are functioning as expected, and discovering exactly what impact the total removal of SQF has against the game is a significant amount of work. We're all excited (and a bit winded) at all of this, and understand that it may be frustrating not getting the fixes you all want for .61 Stable as fast as you'd like - but rest assured, the work that we're doing on the Beta milestone will be worth the struggle of legacy bugs on .61.

Lastly, In regards to the Official Feedback Tracker - the BI Webteam has recently added support for logging in utilizing credentials from Facebook/Google accounts for those who might not want to make an additional login just to report issues. We hope this lowers the barrier for some of you that might have data on bugs you're experiencing, but have held back on reporting them.

5MTLaPb.jpg

I know you're all eagerly awaiting visuals and news from .62 and Beta, and no one would love to share awesome stuff with you more than those of us on the development team. We appreciate all your patience, passion, and participation in the DayZ Early Access - 2017 should be an awesome year for DayZ and the road ahead looks like a lot of fun.

- Brian Hicks / Creative Director

Dev Update/Viktor

In my short update, I would like to share some news from the animation department. We have been playing around with the player character animations a lot recently. One of the latest additions include extra transitions for player. Now the character is able to move from stand or crouch run/walk/sprint to prone movement fluently. This does not limit the character in any way though, unlike in the past. If player decides during this transition he wants to stop - the character will stop nicely immediately.

We have created combat animations for player and are now about to start testing them in game. We want to find nice balance between how player looks and how it plays. This is a difficult topic as our game is set in multiplayer environment, which means we are bound by some limitations that are not present in single player games.

To mention other areas. Special interaction animations inside vehicles are being created now. Refining the animations is always in progress. We have revised the aimed movement for rifles, and we will focus on hand guns next. We also have received some new weapons from the Art team so we are adding animation sets to those as well.

And finally, don't forget you still have some time left to ask animation related questions for our next Q&A video. Head over to the official forums please and ask anything you are curious about regarding DayZ animations - anything that you want me to answer.

Cheers!

- Viktor Kostik / Lead Animator

Handpicked: DayZ Forums Topics

We're getting back to our idea of highlighting interesting topics from the official DayZ forums this week - despite the regular, ongoing discussion we're maintaining on the topic of both Stable Branch and Experimental Branch updates, there have been additional interesting topics that you may have missed. Here's four of them, conveniently handpicked and awaiting your replies!

Q&A with Animation Lead Viktor Kostik

OK, you have probably noticed this one already, but we really want everyone to be aware of it: DayZ Animation Lead Viktor Kostik is up next in our series of Developer Q&A videos and he wants to answer the animation questions you're curious about. Make sure to ask your questions under this topic, as that's where we'll be collecting them! 

EMQ6tIJ.jpg

"Who was killed by zombies in 0.61?" by igor-vk

Since 0.61 got out, we've been ensuring everyone that the infected are absolutely meant to be a serious threat in DayZ. While there is still a lot work to be done before the experience is final, the infected are already influencing the play-style of survivors in a way our design team expects - more often than not, frantically running through a city ultimately gets you killed, as witnessed by igor-vk and other survivors in a topic that beautifully describes how deadly the infected became in 0.61:

ENuNdM2.jpg

"Items that don't spawn anymore" by Weyland Yutani

For various reasons, we sometimes prevent certain items from spawning using our Central Economy settings. If you want to check whether an item you're looking for is indeed disabled or you're just being unlucky, make sure to read the following topic - other survivors might help you out, and we'll do our best to occasionally have our Community Manager Baty join the discussion:

xPAJckc.jpg

BETA Content: PKM discussion thread

To finish off our handpicked section, we've got Brian teasing yet another weapon that's waiting to be implemented into the game during BETA: the unmistakable PKM general purpose machine gun, a truly effective weapon of Russian origin, present in nearly every major armed conflict of the past 30 years:

HtTbfAk.jpg

Community Spotlight

Hey Survivors!

Recently, you have been letting us know on our social networks like Forums, TwitterFacebook, Reddit or Steam, that you are having issues with client crashes due to memory errors. Should this error happen to you, we would appreciate if you could send your crash dump files from the folder C:\Users\YourPCName\AppData\Local\DayZ to our feedback tracker. By submitting those files, you can help us to solve the issue.

Now let's move to a community content. I found a new and amazing rap music video about life in Post-Apocalyptic Chernarus with an unexpected ending. CamCANRUN proved again that he can create quality content.

You know that feeling when you need to try something else. Something special. Including some new Dayz experience. That is the reason why some servers organise themed events for their players. I myself attended few "Wild West" events with Magnum, Repeater and cowboy hat or competition with .22 weapons only. But my most favourite are medieval fights with bows, swords and knight helmets. Astros Legacy was also attending such event on Gents Of Novo server . You can find a recording of this entertaining event on his channel.

If you have something you want to share with us just tweet it to our official Twitter channel.

Header image by: iSkyfallz

- Baty / Community Manager

Thanks devs/all!

Hicks really nailed his section, good stuff, well put.

I can't imagine having new environmental elements....

We fell in love with Chernarus in the mod, then again when the Standalone released, once more with the Enfusion renderer, and now she gets a massive modern make over.

If only every girlfriend got this much sexier over time; wow!  :D

On 2/8/2017 at 1:05 AM, igor-vk said:

Cant wait to see what Sumrak has for us. If only team would hire more map makers so we get two or three new maps soon after release.

Proper map creation for RV/Enfusion titles take year(s) - it isn't like churning out a map for Duke 3D ;)

58 minutes ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Proper map creation for RV/Enfusion titles take year(s) - it isn't like churning out a map for Duke 3D ;)

Yes, the Chernarus map is a realy detailed Landscape.

The uniquely unofficial detailed map for Arma based title with postapokalypical flair was the map "Bamburgh" of the mod 2017 ... damn much work (~2 years) ... unfortunately she was given up ... my heart bleeds.

If Sumrak has no more work, then he should try to continue.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Baty Alquawen

Survivors, has it been two weeks already? We had the first internal multiplayer play-test of vehicles, Eugen is going to tell you more about it. He also talks about the hit registration issue, which is one of our priorities right now. Adam wants to introduce some changes related to gamma abuse, and Boris shows you how to prolong the burning time of torches. 
      Dev Update/Eugen Dev Update/Adam Dev Update/Boris  
      Dev Update/Eugen
      Dear survivors. Let’s start with something that definitely needs addressing. While I’m happy we've released the PC server files, in regards to the both the PC and Xbox versions, there are some serious flaws that we need to look into.
      Priority Issues
      For one, hit registration has been quite a problem recently, and I want to talk about what we know so far. While for most you, it seems like your bullets are not registering when hitting players around you, there might be (and probably are) multiple causes to this behavior. From magazines spawning and having ghost bullets (server and client think there is a different amount), through network messages not being sent, to maybe the armor system working incorrectly on specific items and configurations.
      We’re looking into different angles. So far, with the use of bots, we are able to reproduce the issue when there are multiple corpses around. It seems like a network issue, so we’re starting with this to eliminate the possible low level cause first. It is also the first course of action because if we can confirm some network messages are not being sent in certain cases, it probably causes much more than incorrect hit registration.
      We’re still in the process of debugging when exactly it happens and how. But having a sure way to see it in game helps us a lot. So if by any chance you know how you get your character/weapon/magazine/bullets in desynchronized state, please do report that through the Feedback Tracker.
      The second thing I want to mention today is the inventory implementation on Xbox. We know it needs to get our love and attention. We will soon be reaching out to you and we'll be interested in your feedback.
      Other than that, we are preparing a patch for the PC Experimental branch, ideally containing the fixes to the hit registration issue, as well as other smaller changes based on your feedback. From log upgrades to the ability to set a Steam query port for ease of DDOS setup when hosting a server, and some more.
      Progress towards Experimental BETA
      We've recently had our first multiplayer playtest of vehicles on the new implementation and the first results are promising. Once we have more to share about the patch, we will do so, both here and other channels. But the current state leaves us with two major, risky features in terms of overall update stability: vehicles and base building. The rest are going through rounds of intense QA testing to make sure we’re not missing something game-breaking.
      So let’s get back to work and see you in game once we're ready for further Stress Test.
      - Eugen Harton / Lead Producer

Dev Update/Adam
      Nighttime in DayZ should be dark and terrifying. It should force you into using any light source you have available. Having an ability to light up your surroundings should be just as vital as having enough water and food. Shutting off your light should only be required in case of an emergency. Also, when night vision goggles make their way into the game (which is something we still want to do in the future, but not in BETA), they should be a rare, powerful thing that can turn their owners into potential predators, not a laughing stock for people avoiding night-time by turning the night into a day by cranking up a gamma slider (be it through drivers or display settings).
      The removal of the in-game gamma slider was but a first step towards making the very frequent gamma abuse more complicated to do. In today's status report, I'm going to present another step towards making the night-time a en equal playing field for everyone (at least as much as we're actually able to do that).
      A survivor scouting Myshkino military camp using flashlight mounted on his AKM, unaware of a danger hidden in a shadow.

Please keep in mind that this is still very much experimental feature and we will be tweaking it based on your feedback (once it hits public branches). We have also taken a look on the global light config again (adjusting some dusk and dawn values), boosted up brightness of all available light sources and we will be taking a closer look at the CE setup to make sure there is always enough light sources within the game world.
      -  Adam Franců / Map Designer

Dev Update/Boris
      Greetings survivors! Lately, there has been some effort invested into improving night gameplay across multiple departments (Adam will share more on that as well). So I'd like to report on one of the contributions I did in this regards, which is a refactor of the craftable torch.
      Firstly, the torch now contains an attachment slot for rags, which allows players to prolong its burning time by adding more than one rag on it. You can also refill its stock while it's burning, which means you don't have to craft a new torch after running out of fuel for the current one. The latest Experimental branch on Steam already contains this change so you can try this out for yourself.
      Additionally, in BETA, refueling will be possible to do through a crafting user action without the need to open inventory. As usual, this will be done through a quick bar or an interaction with a relevant item on the ground.

Refueling of a torch 1
      Secondly, you'll be able to even further prolong the burning time by coating the torch with animal lard. Such upgrade is mainly useful for base builders, as it allows them to craft a long-lasting source of light that can be placed anywhere without the need of frequent refueling. 
      Using gasoline as fuel is being considered, but currently, it's not implemented yet.

Refueling of a torch 2
      Lastly, the amount of fuel on the torch will be represented by its quantity bar, so you will always know how much time you have left before it goes cold.

With these changes, this basic item is more interesting to use while giving it some connections to other activities like hunting, base building and collecting clothes or rags.
      - Boris Vacula / Scripter
      Header image by Sp1kerZ.

• By Baty Alquawen

Hello everyone,
      I am really happy that we've made the decision to separate the Community Spotlight into its own day - now we have more space for you creativity, and also more information from me!
      We were shooting a Dev Log video last Thursday in our motion capture studio in Mníšek pod Brdy. It was a really long day but we are satisfied with the result. I can't promise you when this video will be out, but I have some behind the scenes pictures and a bunch of short Instagram stories on our Instagram account. I've added the stories to our archive, so you can watch them without any limits.

I hope all of you know our best screenshot-er DrDeSync. This screenshot looks really creepy, and I am afraid to ask if these guys are friendly. Because I don't think they are.

Another nice screenshot is made by pizzausfree. Thank you for sharing!

rumski called this screenshot "Dropping Gear and Stuffing Faces Because...Running…". It is not needed to collect everything you find, man!

Meet Michael and the trailer he's living in. It looks like a cozy place! Intruzo posted his experience from a role-play server on Reddit. He said Michael was really friendly and he invited him to his trailer for dinner. I like players like Michael, they make the DayZ experience more interesting for other players.

This screenshot comes from the Xbox community. Wilson80121 and his squad are ready to go to Tisy.

This is a nice edit from kakshiOG called "Fallout Storm". Good job!

ZomboCZ really cares about DayZ. He likes to share every detail he can find in the game. Last week, he posted a bunch of new assets from the Experimental branch on Reddit, which he thinks could be interesting for the community. I am going to share it here with you. A train station is now enter-able, you can see all details of the building HERE.

He also focused on the new R-105 Soviet military radio. If you don't know how it works - you can use it the same way as a regular walkie-talkie, but the voice transmission, so it's very useful for role-players and friendly survivors.

You maybe don't know it, but we have new fruits on the Experimental branch. You can find plums and pears now. Here are detailed shots from ZomboCZ.

If you still have a problem to find a new fruit, I think this can help you a little. You can find pears under these trees:

And plums here:

The first video is by Rene aka BarelyInfected and he gave us a story about hunger. When you are dying of hunger in DayZ, are you going to kill and eat your buddy? It is all about choices.

This is not a friendly encounter. It is pure PVP action, fast and deadly:

When you join some server with increased infected spawn, you should expect some trouble. But never give up, man!

Check out this great DayZ cinematic by mov3ax!

This video is probably some part of role-play, I really did not get what happened there, but The Syndicate group isn't friendly at all. A lot of players died in this video.

Uncuepa is a great buddy from the community and if you know him, you can ask him some questions, because Boydy will record an interview with him. Ask your questions HERE.

People are fighting over water, food, ammo. But sometimes, the reason to kill is simply just a jacket. Damn, it had to be a really nice jacket though!

This is also a funny video. Xbox player O_Ambulo_O got trolled by his friend. It is hilarious! Click on the picture for watching:
      Let's talk about modding or game changes you made!

Xxkabalxx is probably working on winter in Chernarus, because he shared a first sound test and I can feel the cold from it.

ThePyrotechnic developed a BEC plugin to display the number of players on your server. You could be interested. More info HERE.

Someone could want more spawn points on his/her server. If you don't know how to do it, here are instructions.

I know, I know. Everyone already heard about the DayZ Battle Royale mode. We are working on our own Battle Royale mode called the Survivor GameZ, but untill that's ready, you can try this community mode. 

And mov3ax is already working on airdrops. What do you think, guys?

ZiltoidTheHorror doesn't care if we have an auto-run button in-game. Real PC players use coins, matches or papers. Console players are using hair rubber bands. 

Yolikus is living in the real Chernarus aka Ústí nad Labem. And this is the view from his flat compared to the game. Awesome, thank you for sharing!
      And the last part of the Community Spotlight is the location riddle. 
      The small building is located near Gorka:

And the winners are:
      souffiane mechri Lunar Cyril‏ Felix‏  Molly Magoo Tweedy Jonny K Astro
        Good work guys, thank you!
      And the next location is:

Send your answer to our Twitter account with the #DayZriddleTime hashtag.

That is all from me, thank you for your amazing content and see you in two weeks!
      Header image by Memorix Gamer.

- Baty Alquawen/Community Manager