Jeffisflash

Need buddies + Advice

Hey! First off, if you wanna play. My Skype is: ffejferg2001

also, I need advice on how to act around other players, loot routes, 

check out my YouTube: jeffisflash

• Like 1

So I can't offer you companionship, but I am here for the advice.

Here is how I typically respond to players...

1. Do NOT say "I'm friendly" right off the bat, it's fishy seeming
  2. DO start by saying something typical like "Hey, guy in the (Insert distinctive article of clothing)!"
  3. Avoid approaching people who have high tier weaponry (M4, FAL, AK, stuff like that) that is already out. Usually these people are less than friendly, and even if they aren't a bandit, some people are jumpy and react with gunfire.
  4. When you do get someone's attention, pay attention to how they respond. If they run, don't follow, it'll make them more likely to attack. Also, keep your guard up, they might be a bandit whose looking to get the jump on you.
  5. Keep your distance when talking to them, if you get too close, tension can rise.
  6. If you are going to approach closer, tell them first, and why.
  7. If you can spare something basic (Such as an extra water bottle, a can of tuna, etc.) offer it. It'll make you seem more genuine. NEVER OFFER WEAPONS/AMMO OR ANYTHING THAT CAN BE USED AGAINST YOU
  8. If someone is offering you something, don't assume that they're friendly. It could just be a ploy to get you to let your guard down. Take every action with a grain of salt.
  9. Most importantly, use common sense. If you don't feel comfortable with someone, don't approach. If they don't seem comfortable, back off. This will save your life.

As for looting...

1. Loot the town/area you start in, and move inland. Do not explore the coast unless you are meeting with someone.
  2. Pay attention to sounds, they might let you know if someone is looting nearby as well.
  3. Take the gun with the magazine (Including internal magazines). If you've got yourself a very nice gun but it has no bullets, it's useless. Take that shotgun with 30 rounds.
  4. Can openers, if you can find one and have the room, take it. Seems like common sense, but you'd be surprised.
  5. Get a knife, I myself prefer the stone knife that you can create by searching for rocks. They can be used for making fires, opening cans, skinning animals (Or people), or as a weapon. The knife is your best friend.

These are just a few tips, and they're all my personal preference. This is not by any means the "best" way of doing things, just what works best for myself and how I play. Best of luck!

• Like 1

Good tips. Also, apple trees will save your life. Eat as many as you can, whenever you can.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zyriun said:

Avoid approaching people who have high tier weaponry (M4, FAL, AK, stuff like that) that is already out. Usually these people are less than friendly, and even if they aren't a bandit, some people are jumpy and react with gunfire.

All of this is good advice. It is genuinely hard trying to be friendly on the coast with a decked M4 or an SVD. I do try it, but people either run away immediately, or run towards you because they have a chance of some sweet loot if they can land a lucky punch (and it usually doesn't end well for them I'm afraid).

An offer to trade stuff can be a good approach because it offers a structured transaction.

Edited by Mookie (original)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mookie (original) said:

All of this is good advice. It is genuinely hard trying to be friendly on the coast with a decked M4 or an SVD. I do try it, but people either run away immediately, or run towards you because they have a chance of some sweet loot if they can land a lucky punch (and it usually doesn't end well for them I'm afraid).

An offer to trade stuff can be a good approach because it offers a structured transaction.

Thanks :) I have had my fair share of confrontations with folk like that, and I'll be honest sometimes I'm the one behind the gun. Not a pretty sight for whoever is in front of the bullet.

Also, trading is always nice to do, however again take it with a grain of salt. Take precautions when trading such as...

1. Keep your distance from the other person(s)
  2. Keep your eye on all unknown characters
  3. If one tries moving to get around you, get out of there
  4. Communicate what you're going to trade (obviously) and have each party drop their items on the ground a good distance away.
  5. When ready to trade, each party goes around in an arc (Do not walk straight to them otherwise you'll get close to one another) and collect the loot, all the while abiding by tips 1 and 2
  6. Do not turn your back on them even when leaving

Following these tips should keep you alive, assuming you can defend yourself if things get heated.

A couple other points... 

1) Watch for baited traps. Occasionally you'll find a lightly geared player hanging out in an area and they will engage you in conversation. You'll ask them questions and they may appear to hesitate to answer. As you're talking to them (they could, after all, be just hanging out enjoying the game- trying to figure things out), make sure you're using your ASWD keys to move around... sniper shuffle so to speak. These guys can, quite often I'm afraid, be supported by heavily geared guys (holding his gear in a tent or barrel nearby) who are just looking to practice their aim on you. The shuffling will signal to the group that you're not a total noob... and you may run and they'll kill you anyway but you have a better chance of just ducking away as soon as your spidey senses start tingling. Shuffling will indicate you've played the game... you know the risks and are talking anyway. Some guys will just let you go based on that- others will kill you even if the last thing they want to do on earth is kill you because that's how it works.

1a) One of the really, really big tells is guys stalling for time- asking you the same question... asking things that are totally just irrelevant. This situation generally occurs moreso when you're the party with the advantage. Let's say you've got some weapons and the freshie doesn't. Or you have some friends alongside and the stranger is alone. He'll stall for time as guys come from further up or down the coast... they'll ambush you and take your stuff for their recently respawned buddy.

Our group- when we're playing, anyway- is called the Helpy Helpers... and we're called that because we went to extraordinary lengths for a long time to try and ensure that killing someone was the absolute last resort. Well, except DaveB... he has callouses on his trigger finger (and dry chemical from a fire extinguisher on his forehead). 

Anyway- we got taken by this or ALMOST got taken by this enough times that we agreed that if any of us got any impression that this bait and wait tactic was being used on us that we kill them- no matter how geared or fresh. I played almost a thousand hours before I actually killed anyone and I got so fucking sick of being nice, lured into areas and murdered either by gangs or by snipers I finally made the turn.  

Keep in mind- right now people are bored... especially in high pops people just run around killing one another on the coast and most of the others are whittling sticks in the NW somewhere. Talking to anyone within a kilometer or so of the coast is very risky and as you start making your way into the center of the map things start to become less hostile. You begin running into more people who are playing the game... or nobody at all. Your encounters become more believable- and it can be interesting. Exceptions to this rule will be around military bases and chopper spawns. 

Good luck. 

Edited by eno
  • Like 2

These guys know what's up. My tips are basically what they've already said. Don't initiate by saying "I'm friendly." No one who has ever said that to me in the history of this game has ever actually been friendly. If someone walks up on me, I start with some small banter. "Hey, you good?" or "hey, did you just come in from [insert town here]? What was it like?" However, sometimes asking about location can backfire, so just be prepared for that. 

As someone who has been the "lightly geared guy" bait before, I can attest that pretending you know how the game works makes you less of a target. If you're dancing around it, at least you'll be harder to hit. I find it funny and sometimes annoying but A) I've been the bait so biased and B) I can't expect people to trust me in this game so I gotta suck it up. 

Tips for surviving a bait encounter: the bait will most likely ask questions to keep you focused on them, rapid-fire so they force you to scramble your thoughts. Sometimes, you can hear an edge in their voice. In my case, I sometimes sounded edgy when I played this role because my team would be talking in TS and it would become overwhelming to keep up with both convos. Because of this, I'd either talk uninspiredly to the victim or even ask questions again. Watch out for that. Dead giveaway. 

Sometimes you can hear someone's teamspeak convo through their mic, not sure why. Listen for it though. 

If it is just a robbery, compliances usually works for me. I do feel that I have an unfair advantage as a female player, though, so I could never guarantee that anyone else's success rate will be as high as mine. I talk a lot, if they'll entertain it, and force them to view me in either a friendly light or a non-threatening light (sometimes playing the "scared" angle works out). 

If your baiter doesn't move around when you get too close, they are most likely baiting the fuck out of you. They feel comfortable knowing they have someone to kill you if you should knock them out, assuming you're a freshie. If you have a weapon and they offer you this trust, they probably have snipers trained on you. 

I can't second the "don't let your guard down when they offer something" thing enough. I fall for this all the time. Not so much because I don't expect it, but because I want to trust them. Big mistake. If they drop an item, move around a lot whilst picking it up. Or just say you don't need it. 

Edited by xgobacktosleep
  • Like 1

We have a new server and are trying to build a player base. It is a public hive server if you want to check it out. Any question just jump into the discord chat, as I am at work.

Son's of Liberty DayZ Phx US West

198.46.138.114:2302

Email: SoL.Gaming@outlook.com

Discord: https://discord.gg/FrxEQkY

Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SoLPHX#

Xbox Live: Group Sons of Liberty Phx