SMoss

Enfusion Q&A with Lead Engine Programmer Filip Doksanský

On 10/30/2016 at 8:59 AM, Arthur Dubrovka said:

I have to say, it´s realy good! Made very professional, the answers are very detailed. And @philbur, there are a lot of other questions here in this forum or at twitter, which maybe will get answered in upcoming parts of this Q&A. But I have to say I like it a lot how its produced, with this cutscenes out of your office, gamescenes etc. I´m excited for part two ;)

edit: Maybe it would be nice to edit the first post of this thread and put the vid on top - and maybe sum it up in textform.

Ok...I'll admit that there still might be additional content coming from Filip and the crew which would give me (us) a more complete overview of the Enfusion tech...but again...I just felt it was not as "informative" as I guessed it would be, given the time it took to get this to the public.

As a disclaimer: I am using the comparison from dev videos from CryTek back in the original CryEngine days...where they really took us on a deep tour of the tech through each video they released until they finally went gold with Far Crysis....it was far more informative and logical in the way they presented their tech overviews.

I have managed to stay on the bandwagon this long...so just offering a bit of balance to the guys who seem overly excited about this first iteration of the engine tech overview...that's all.

Edited by philbur
Forgot it was "Crysis...NOT Far Cry.
  • Like 1

Thanks for part 1, Fido and gang!

Some decent questions there but I'm glad you plan to do more Q&A as I too hoped for more information/a longer video...

THOSE PEOPLE AT THOSE DESKS ARE MY HEROS!  =0

• Like 1

Thanks for part 1, nice insignt.

I have two Questions though:
1.) Did i understand correctly, that with the enforce scripting language, you are creating your own embeddable scripting language from ground up?

2.) If yes: Why did you choose to do so, rather than building on an existing mature embeddable scripting language https://github.com/dbohdan/embedded-scripting-languages?

It appears to me, that creating a completely new embeddable scripting language is not at all a trivial task. Actually, its easily a huge project in itself, and it's very likely to be very immature in its first versions. Although many other Requirements in the DayZ Standalone game and also Enfusion Engine, will heavily rely on the maturity of this scripting language.

Edited by nautic

5 hours ago, nautic said:

Thanks for part 1, nice insignt.

I have two Questions though:
1.) Did i understand correctly, that with the enforce scripting language, you are creating your own embeddable scripting language from ground up?

2.) If yes: Why did you choose to do so, rather than building on an existing mature embeddable scripting language https://github.com/dbohdan/embedded-scripting-languages?

It appears to me, that creating a completely new embeddable scripting language is not at all a trivial task. Actually, its easily a huge project in itself, and it's very likely to be very immature in its first versions. Although many other Requirements in the DayZ Standalone game and also Enfusion Engine, will heavily rely on the maturity of this scripting language.

Would this be primarily driven by their desire to keep their new engine as secure as possible?

I am not sure just how deep hackers need to go into a game's script files...but creating your own unique scripts would give them a head start on making sure the game engine is not as easily messed with...right?.

The relatively "immature" engine will definitely need a couple major patches post-1.0 if they don't test the hell out of it...I agree...but maybe this accounts for some of the perceived delays in development?

• Like 1

are we going to see different levels of luminosity from light sources, like a difference of brightness from a chem-light to a road flare or a flashlight with fresh batteries being brighter than one with nearly dead batteries.

• Like 1

When you look at  road flare or chemlight you almost cant even see where you going. Why this happening and How u will fix that. road flare, chem light any other light source makes us totaly blind.

Part II of the Filip Doksanský Enfusion Engine Q&A is LIVE.

• Like 3

On 11/7/2016 at 8:04 AM, Baty Alquawen said:

-Snip

I don't even know how I missed this! O.O So good :D

Can't wait to see what tools they give us when the Modding features are given over ^^

Yea well, good video but after this interview I can be sure for %100 there will be bllshit mods like epoch, taviana etc. I hope vanilla never lose its spirit.