TimF

Very poor server performance in 0.60

Hey all,

Playing on Australian servers in 0.60, I and lots of others have experienced very poor server performance, mostly in the form of rubber banding, dying from fall damage where you didn't actually fall, or position sync (eg server thinks you're stuck in a house). For me it's actually the worst I've seen for a year or more and I've stopped playing for a little while hoping the new player controller will stop me breaking my leg from walking through a doorway ;)

I'm just curious about what has changed to cause this in 0.60 as I remember a few comments about improving some aspects of server performance but not anything about changes that should have impacted performance negatively? Has this been acknowledged by the devs and are there any specific updates that might lead to improvements in this area beyond ongoing optimisation?

• Like 1

getting some weird behavior near the 10 hour mark of our server uptime... As usual nothing at all indicated by devs as to what this may pertain. 

It's a secret- do he report to the "bug trackaire."

I wonder if these issues are related to server settings. I generally do not have these problems but the last two days there was one server (NL 2-15) which was unplayable, Constant rubberbanding (actually impossible to get away from starting position, unable to move stuff in inventory or to the ground etc.)

I've been having lag issues for the past two weeks on 60. I didn't have this when 60 was on experimental, and for the beginning weeks of 60 going to stable. Problem comes mostly in the form of lag spikes. But, I stop playing because I don't have a chance if I come across another player. Most people I come across just KOS me. I love the new renderer, but the benefits seemed to have disappeared recently.

I also have noticed a degradation in overall server performance. I have a stable 100mb ethernet and usually only play on servers around 40-60 avg ping. My fps will drop to around 45-50 in big cities and hovers around 80-85fps in the wilderness, so client side performance isnt the issue. I have actually seen other players rubber banding and have also experienced horrific lag with in game communication. I have also had issues with opening doors occasionally. It isnt common, but it does happen, when it did not happen in .59.

My fps has collapsed in the past 48 hours or so. Last night, in the northern towns, the game was almost unplayable, and inventory responsiveness is also getting noticeably worse.. 

Shame really, as performance was one of the most important of the 0.60 improvements. Hopefully only a minority are affected.

All good here, played last night some and this morning. Seems to be ok for fps. I was even in rain etc..

How many on server? maybe a time frame is worse then other times? I dunno