outlaw1198

What do you enjoy about the Mod?

What in your opinion do you think are the pros and cons of the dayz mod.

In my opinion one of the pros are the fact you have to find you own gear and that you can die at any point and lose the gear that you have spent so long to get.

A con in my opinion would be that sometimes you can go for hours without seeing anyone when running around.

What are yours?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Dynamic AI spawn.

This

1 hour ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Dynamic AI spawn.

as a con or a pro?

44 minutes ago, outlaw1198 said:

as a con or a pro?

As a massive PRO.

It is one thing the mod had that the SA needed a long long long long long long long long long, time ago.

Only rather recently did the team concede it was a necessary mechanic and that having all infected spawned in at once would be too taxing on servers.

3 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Dynamic AI spawn.

Also known as "player radar". But if you dig zombies, yeah.

43 minutes ago, -Gews- said:

Also known as "player radar". But if you dig zombies, yeah.

No, this is a rare ill-informed post by you.

They are coming up with ways to make it much more difficult to judge this.

You should never be able to see a town empty of infected from a distance and then infected pop in when players approach if done correctly.

I'm surprised you didn't realize they are working on this, but I guess you don't care for zombies??

1 hour ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

No, this is a rare ill-informed post by you.

They are coming up with ways to make it much more difficult to judge this.

You should never be able to see a town empty of infected from a distance and then infected pop in when players approach if done correctly.

I'm surprised you didn't realize they are working on this, but I guess you don't care for zombies??

During the mod's heyday zombie spawning was an extremely effective "player radar". I haven't played or followed mod for a long time but I see the 1.8.4 changelog says "[Updated] - Spawn radius updated to 300 meters up from 200" which is still pretty small if you're overlooking a town or base. Is there something newer? And you're right, I've never been too interested in the zombies (partly because they always sucked and partly because I'm just not a big zombie fan).

2 hours ago, -Gews- said:

During the mod's heyday zombie spawning was an extremely effective "player radar". I haven't played or followed mod for a long time but I see the 1.8.4 changelog says "[Updated] - Spawn radius updated to 300 meters up from 200" which is still pretty small if you're overlooking a town or base. Is there something newer? And you're right, I've never been too interested in the zombies (partly because they always sucked and partly because I'm just not a big zombie fan).

In regards to the upcoming SA dynamic AI spawn they are supposedly going to try hard to make sure you cannot use infected spawn as player radar.

I guess we would need an approx 500m+ spawn radius and the game would have to insert infected where you zoom in from a distance.

56 minutes ago, atomquark said:

It was free.

That is because it is a mod i meant what made you enjoy the mod not what made you get it/play it

Pros: The randomness, every time I spawned was an adventure whether long or short and always different, sometimes you went from getting killed after hours of work to finding and stealing someone elses hours of work then sometimes a glitch or vehicle accident would wipe hours or work etc. Another pro for me was the clunkyness and the odd glitch that was in Arma2, yes I think its a pro not a con. (talking real dayz as in vanilla)

Cons: Knowing the map and getting some experience playing ruined the adventure a little, eg who remembers getting lost or dying to zeds?! It was great.

Pro: Diverse player interaction that is not present in any other game I have played.

Con: Knowing the map and hotspots like NW NE and Stary. Going to any other area besides these locations is quite pointless. This lets the interesting design and locations that are in the mod go unappreciated and unexplored by most players.

Edited by LukeThero

This is going to be long... so, yeah.

Early on, I liked the mod because it was (Or at least, I thought it was) basically the game I had been wanting for years (That is, an online open world without pay-to win shit or forcing you to go on "quests", set in a modern environment with cool weapons and vehicles - with zombies thrown in! I bought it without even watching any videos or reading any reviews - as soon as someone told me about it, I knew I had to have it.

And the first few months I played were by far the most fun I've ever had on a video game. I still didn't watch any videos (Besides "Last Stand Gamers Survival Secrets", which are entertaining but don't really offer much practical knowledge. ) Thus, I didn't know zombies couldn't run indoors or about the zombie spawning radius, and I died often. I remember clearing the Cherno apartments with a friend, using a Crossbow and a silenced M9 we had found on a dead body - It would take us upwards of 20 minutes, trying not to be seen by zombies. It's a wonder no one ever killed us. Crawling around in the dark while being hunted by a couple players using M4A3s - with the flashlights on - in the fields near Zelenogorsk was another terrifying experience. The fear was the best part, I guess. I also for some reason had the idea that the map was 225km instead of km2... this added to the mystery factor of  "What's up north?" and I thought I would never get to explore the whole map.

6 months later though, I had mastered the art of zombie killing and was dropping 4-5 players a day, easily. That era was quiet fun as well though, as I still occasionally died of zombies and still didn't know very much of the map. another 6 months later, and I knew the map by heart, and had no problems with zombies at all. At this point, the game was starting to stagnate. This is when I started playing Epoch, Origins and Overwatch, and also about the time I had gotten a few other friends to buy the game. That soon stagnated as well though, and I basically quit for a few months before coming back to vanilla on Easter day, 2014. That proved quite fun, and I pretty much renounced banditry. Met up with a ton of bambis who where just like I had been a year ago, and led them from Cherno to Green mountain, where I scared the shit out of them by launching '203 flares into the air at night. It was only a few weeks before I got a hero skin, and I kept it until the fall of the official hive. (late 2014? don't remember)

Ever since then, I've become a bandit again, and have just been periodically playing with a group of friends on the Insurrection servers, and occasionally as a lone wolf on vanilla servers. I haven't played since February now, so I think I might just hop on a server...

Also, the generally atmosphere of ArmA 2 is just better than standalone, IMO. Standalone just makes me feel lonely and bored.

In short though:

Pros:

*Extremely fun when your new, especially if you don't watch tutorials and just read the Wiki. 

*Huge open world - no rules, do ANYTHING you want.

*Can get creepy if you want it to, especially at night.

*Nostalgia.

*Although you have to buy ArmA, your basically getting an excellent Milsim, plus DayZ, for $20.

*IMO, the mod is much more enjoyable than standalone.

Cons:

*Map gets old after you learn that people congregate in the Northwest.

*Zombies are little threat after you find out their weaknesses.

*Replay value decreases over time for most people

*The community is no longer as large. most of it is made up of veterans of the game, so encounters with newer players slowly are getting rarer.