DJSade

Is DayZ a disappointment?

Is DayZ a disappointment?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Is DayZ a disappointment?

• Disappointment
    • Not disappointment

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 11:38 AM, BCBasher said:

1100 hours in one year and a couple months on mine and 534 hours on my kids account for $60 total works out to $0.04/hour.

Hard to be disappointed with that kind of entertainment value these days. 

That's you.  I have under 200 hours since the standalone was released and I used to play the crap out of the mod.  Don't get me wrong.  I don't think it's a terrible game.  But I think it's just short of actually keeping me engaged for long periods of time.

Look, if I want to want to wander around some hick town full of armed idiots and go apple picking, I can drive out to my in-laws.

1 hour ago, bfisher said:

That's you.  I have under 200 hours since the standalone was released and I used to play the crap out of the mod.  Don't get me wrong.  I don't think it's a terrible game.  But I think it's just short of actually keeping me engaged for long periods of time.

Look, if I want to want to wander around some hick town full of armed idiots and go apple picking, I can drive out to my in-laws.

That's exactly it.  DayZ is like one of those luxury condos people in my town buy based solely on the location, the floor plan and other marketing materials.  Then the construction gets delayed by months.  Eventually they let you move in, even though it's not finished.  And each month they keep going on about the pool and the fitness center and all the other fantastic amenities, even though the hot water and electrical don't work.  

I hope you find a more positive outlook. That state of mind dosent sound terribly fun or productive.

You know there's more than one video game out there right?

I do and when I felt the game was getting stagnant for me I took a 4 month break, simple.

After a good break my oldest boy and I managed to remain perfectly engaged for a couple of 8+ hour sessions last week we even played a bit on half full servers no that we have an under 200 ping now.  We set and covered distance goals and checked our orienteering skills, we worked on calling contacts in a productive manner, we looted NWAF on a 25 pop with guns blazing killing every infected we saw and successfully suppressed and disengaged from the player that chose to fire on us. We got to use bandages for the first tie in months and even got close to junior getting hypothermia after rubberbanding into the water, saw the red I "i'm shaking" and promptly took the steps to prevent that from being a problem.

I still feel the survival aspect could go a long way because we've already seen it before it got dialed back for the  "i want it now" COD crybabies but that's fine, either the vanilla or modding will allow any experience we want.

As someone who was born and raised in a "hick town" I just love the irony of how "city folk" look down on us when they're the ones who choose to live grouped in large boxes akin to a commercial chicken farm. If there were ever a catastrophe like a zombie rage virus my hick children and I will live and prosper while you're getting eaten by your fellow city folk because the majority of you are too stupid to live without infrastructure and a vast complicated support system.  

Your partner must be so happy to have found someone who looks down on their roots with such disdain. 

Technically, I can't say that I find Day Z a disappointment, as I bought it for $30, and with ~800 hours invested in it, I can safely say I "got my money's worth".

However, I can say that I find both the current development pace, and the seeming-current "focus" of the game, quite disappointing. A quote from one of the developers (I forget who, exactly) regarding how they view the game  is, for me, quite upsetting. 

"Day Z is boring if you don't have a gun".

That isn't what I bought this game for. Contrary to the above quote, I believe that Day Z can be at its best when you are unarmed, or even when you are at a severe disadvantage. 

Similarly, the lack of survival mechanics for the longest time is a detriment to my enjoyment of the game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BCBasher said:

You know there's more than one video game out there right?

I do and when I felt the game was getting stagnant for me I took a 4 month break, simple.

After a good break my oldest boy and I managed to remain perfectly engaged for a couple of 8+ hour sessions last week we even played a bit on half full servers no that we have an under 200 ping now.  We set and covered distance goals and checked our orienteering skills, we worked on calling contacts in a productive manner, we looted NWAF on a 25 pop with guns blazing killing every infected we saw and successfully suppressed and disengaged from the player that chose to fire on us. We got to use bandages for the first tie in months and even got close to junior getting hypothermia after rubberbanding into the water, saw the red I "i'm shaking" and promptly took the steps to prevent that from being a problem.

I still feel the survival aspect could go a long way because we've already seen it before it got dialed back for the  "i want it now" COD crybabies but that's fine, either the vanilla or modding will allow any experience we want.

As someone who was born and raised in a "hick town" I just love the irony of how "city folk" look down on us when they're the ones who choose to live grouped in large boxes akin to a commercial chicken farm. If there were ever a catastrophe like a zombie rage virus my hick children and I will live and prosper while you're getting eaten by your fellow city folk because the majority of you are too stupid to live without infrastructure and a vast complicated support system.  

Your partner must be so happy to have found someone who looks down on their roots with such disdain. 

a)  That's not "irony".

b)  You are saying the main benefit to living where you live is that it is more "survivable" in the event of a scenario that only happens in fantasy.  Which is pretty dumb unless you are saying it ironically.

4 hours ago, [DGN] Johnny said:

I hope you find a more positive outlook. That state of mind dosent sound terribly fun or productive.

In all fairness, neither is playing DayZ.

I decided to play some more this morning just to see where the game was at.  Even ignoring technical issues like occasional stuttering in the larger cities, the magazine for my submachinegun disappearing and the usual zombie issues, I just couldn't get into it for more than about 2 hours. 

Best I could find was a server 1/3 full.  I picked up the game where I had left off near the coastal port north of Berenzino.  Took a wandering route west, with an ultimate goal of hitting NWAF from the north.

Never encountered another player.

Some sporadic encounters with zombies, but not enough to ever feel threatened.

Food and water were plentiful enough to stay stuffed.

Really the only big win I experienced was finally finding a Glock 19 and some sort of Czech submachinegun to go along with all the ammo I found.  Although it also occurred to me I could just get by just as easily without any weapons.

Also, I think the water is broken because I fell into a lake and never got wet.

I don't care what anyone says.  I think DayZ went downhill as soon as Rocket left.  His original vision was a brutally unforgiving survival environment, with zombies, and players running around killing each other for their beans.  Because he was doing it as an experiment, he had the luxury of not caring about whether it was successful.  But it ended up being successful beyond anyone's wildest expectations.  But now, it just feels watered down.  Liked they nerfed everything trying to appeal to both COD PvP kids and the whiney crybabies who don't want to get shot in the face 10 minutes after logging in.

I laughed all the way through this thread, this is good stuff.

What was the question again?

I'm not disappointed with dayz however like others have said its has become too easy to survive.

I would like it to be a challenge to make it through a day without seeing the you are dead message on your screen.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

Technically, I can't say that I find Day Z a disappointment, as I bought it for $30, and with ~800 hours invested in it, I can safely say I "got my money's worth".

However, I can say that I find both the current development pace, and the seeming-current "focus" of the game, quite disappointing. A quote from one of the developers (I forget who, exactly) regarding how they view the game  is, for me, quite upsetting. 

"Day Z is boring if you don't have a gun".

That isn't what I bought this game for. Contrary to the above quote, I believe that Day Z can be at its best when you are unarmed, or even when you are at a severe disadvantage. 

Similarly, the lack of survival mechanics for the longest time is a detriment to my enjoyment of the game. 

Good post, thank you

Edited by Noctoras

DayZ mod ruined DayZ. That game was so damn good, don't think anything since has had the same depth or intensity.

Which is why I keep coming back here to check the status reports.  I think that’s why we get these threads posted over and over.  I can’t get over that game. DayZ is like an ex-girlfriend that you find yourself looking up online when you’re feeling bored - only to be disappointed in what you see. She hasn’t grown at all. The major flaws that made you quit her are still plain to see. Sure she’s got a new wardrobe and a better haircut but she desyncs, is a slideshow in cities, can’t handle ladders and zombies are no threat.

I can’t help being disappointed, but I can't help have hope either. I know if they ever fix those flaws DayZ will be better than ever.